Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

WastedJoker posted:

Titanfall was a great game let down by the worst matchmaking system the world has ever seen. It was basic even for consolers.
The matchmaking in Evolve is pretty lovely so far from a couple of hours of gameplay - I was a lvl2 monster put up agfainst 4 5+ lvl hunters. I got my monster bum handed to me in every round.

None of the modes have any tactical scope - there is literally no reason to split up as a group of hunters. Just follow the flying birds and try to face the monster before he evolves. Every mode.

The game has been out for all of 16 hours, none of it in US prime time. I imagine that the matchmaking pool is not very deep yet, give it a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
That's the second time it's given me Kraken without any menu, presumably I'm being put on top of a bot. But I haven't unlocked Kraken yet so I get no mastery for it :mad:

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Zaphod42 posted:

As all classes - Press TAB a whole lot so you can see the map. Its really really loving useful for hunting the monster or sneaking as the monster.

Hunters - you need to find the monster ASAP, then bubble him, then do as much damage to him as you can before he's level 3. Any real damage once his shields are down is significant. Whenever the monster is beating on a hunter, you want to trade off damage so none of you goes down all the way and your medic can recover people. If he's beating on your assault, get up in his face and give him a better target, get between the monster and your beat up hunter friend and play tank. Let him knock you around some. Then when your health is getting low, run away. Go hide. Let some other hunter jump in his face and do the same thing. Ideally you keep trading off his focus and you can annihilate him while healing yourself.

Tracker - This is the highest responsibility job on the Hunters. Don't pick it if you're new. Each hunter plays a bit different with how they track, and the tracking is the most important thing. As Maggie, just follow your dog. If you ignore your dog, eventually it has to follow you, so if you go too far the wrong way it looks like the dog is going the same way you are, but really its just following you. Dont' fall into that trap, you can play mind games with yourself. Try to get a feel for the map and where the monster is going, and then shortcut it. MOST IMPORTANT: use the mobile arena whenever your part is near the monster to trap it and do significant damage. You should aim to use the mobile arena as often as it is on cooldown. Hunters trapped outside the arena are allowed to enter after you pop it, so the only important thing is that you're close enough to the monster yourself.

Assault - Beat the poo poo out of the monster. Always be doing damage to the monster, unless the monster is in your face and you are nearly dead; then run and hide, and as soon as the monster shifts his focus, go back to beating the poo poo out of him. Avoid shooting at him when he's escaping (gives him energy bonus) unless you can finish him off. Otherwise just follow your party.

Support - Use your damaging attacks on the monster all you can, like Assault, but make sure to switch to your special abilities, like the shield. If the monster is focusing on one person, whip out the shield and keep them protected. This will probably get the monster's attention, so watch out and drop the shield and start running if he turns to you. Drop the orbital poo poo on him when he's trapped in the arena and do heavy damage.

Medic - Hang back. All the medics have sniper rifles, you're a sniper. Snipe the boss from range, you want to be the last person that "tanks" the monster or never. Hang back and snipe, and when somebody goes down rezzing them is top priority. Use your group heal when appropriate, and if you're Val keep everybody topped off but if you're Lazarus just rez people asap.

Monster - Play stealth in the beginning. Use the map. As soon as the round starts, loving RUN for one corner of the map. Then eat all the animals you can, you should be able to reach level 2 by the time the hunters even find you. Make sure you hide somewhere before you evolve. Then you'll probably get arena'd, play defensive and use the geography to break line of sight so you aren't being shot by all 4 hunters at once. Beat them up if you can't but do not forget to run away when the arena bubble wears off. Get to level 3 as fast as you can, then turn around and kill all the loving hunters. Getting skills to rank 3 means they hit much harder, but having 1 point in all skills is nice so you have more abilities at your disposal. Use the scent ability constantly in order to track the hunters as they track you. As long as the hunters don't see you, running around in circles and things like that can be very effective. When the hunters get back to somewhere they've already been, they're more likely to doubt that they're going the wrong way than figure that you circled back. It creates doubt in the mind of the hunters, and buys you time to eat animals.

Would you like to know more?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...om-turtle-rock/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...s-for-monsters/

Hey I didn't get a chance to respond in the old thread but thanks for this~

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Carecat posted:

That's the second time it's given me Kraken without any menu, presumably I'm being put on top of a bot. But I haven't unlocked Kraken yet so I get no mastery for it :mad:

I have been wondering about when you join in on an empty spot. I know when you join in on a character which started as a bot you get kinda boned because you don't get a perk but when you join on a dropped player slot you get whatever perk they picked even if you didn't unlock it (I think?). But do you use their masteries or your own? I assume you use your own but I have not seen it stated either way anywhere.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Wow, this thread is getting hit with a lot of thread making GBS threads.

I personally am really excited to play this tonight. I quite want to check out the non-hunt game modes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im pretty sure that complaining about threadshitting is more threadshitting than we've been doing

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Titanfall owned and was a lot of fun despite its issues (lack of unlocks to grind for, balance issues, dumb matchmaking, pc population) and I had two months worth of fun with it before never playing it again v:shobon:v

anyway evolve looks really bad and boring just from the videos and does not seem to be worth any amount of money

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
A good kraken seems unbeatable.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Eonwe posted:

im pretty sure that complaining about threadshitting is more threadshitting than we've been doing

I liked your old av more :(

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I have been wondering about when you join in on an empty spot. I know when you join in on a character which started as a bot you get kinda boned because you don't get a perk but when you join on a dropped player slot you get whatever perk they picked even if you didn't unlock it (I think?). But do you use their masteries or your own? I assume you use your own but I have not seen it stated either way anywhere.

It looks like not only do miss out on a perk you miss out on the three starting skill points as well :pwn:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i did too, but I can't buy it back till people stop buying me avs for a while

this is like my 5th in the last few weeks

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Why are people acting like this is the second coming of horse armor? It seems like a fairly standard DLC plan for a modern game.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Why are people acting like this is the second coming of horse armor? It seems like a fairly standard DLC plan for a modern game.

Every major game has a season pass now so I don't really get it either. Fight the power I guess!!!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Yeah. I mean, it's likely that my opinion is colored from being a game dev myself (and one that worked on a F2P game), but this pricing model seems entirely reasonable to me given the cost of the assets. A champion in League of Legends costs about ~$8 if you bought them straight out with cash, so $12-15 for a monster with a ton more animation and particle assets + higher quality models and texturing seems reasonable by comparison.

Similarly, a new map for Payday 2 costs about $8 on release (with some extras thrown in like masks and such as well), and a monster is a much more difficult thing to create than a map...

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Brackhar posted:

Yeah. I mean, it's likely that my opinion is colored from being a game dev myself (and one that worked on a F2P game), but this pricing model seems entirely reasonable to me given the cost of the assets. A champion in League of Legends costs about ~$8 if you bought them straight out with cash, so $12-15 for a monster with a ton more animation and particle assets + higher quality models and texturing seems reasonable by comparison.

The pricing model is completely ridiculous and any game dev who thinks that 100 dollars for a complete game is reasonable is part of the problem and should probably invest in some helium and a CPAP machine.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It's a bit stupider than most games and overpriced but I'm just going to wait for a sale.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Carecat posted:

It's a bit stupider than most games and overpriced but I'm just going to wait for a sale.

Yeah. I just hope it ends up not dying before that happens. Hopefully they'll drop the price pretty quickly so everyone can have some fun.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
hosed up that a video game has DLC

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VarXX posted:

hosed up that a video game has DLC

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Carecat posted:

I was thinking of waiting for a sale but by the time it gets to a decent price it'll probably be a dead game played only by tryhards and weekend long sale crowds.

So I guess I just won't buy it at all.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

Eye of Widesauron posted:

The pricing model is completely ridiculous and any game dev who thinks that 100 dollars for a complete game is reasonable is part of the problem and should probably invest in some helium and a CPAP machine.

Can you define complete game? The $100 price point you're bandying around is basically a $60 purchase + a $40 pre-order for some major DLC and a bunch of cosmetic stuff that won't be fully out for months.

Is your argument that the base game as it exists isn't worth $60 or isn't a complete experience?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Black Baby Goku posted:

Grab it when it's free to play

This is the truth.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Brackhar posted:

Can you define complete game? The $100 price point you're bandying around is basically a $60 purchase + a $40 pre-order for some major DLC and a bunch of cosmetic stuff that won't be fully out for months.

Is your argument that the base game as it exists isn't worth $60 or isn't complete?

It's not worth 60 dollars whatsoever in its current state and doesn't reflect a reasonable cost of a lovely console port whatsoever. They're shooting themselves in the foot big time by basically setting up a situation where the game, which depends on multiplayer, will have a userbase that shrinks big time very quickly.

It sucks because it has promise and I wish it weren't that way but hey.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Sacriel on twitch is playing with a developer and they just encountered a level 20 monster and got wrecked twice in a row. Spectating in this game is pretty legit, so highly recommended to go check out the game if dropping the bucks isn't an option for you right now.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
The game is really fun. If you're afraid of it just being a game of ring around the Rosie as the hunters chase the monster and never see it try evacuation. The game modes in that are awesome and can get really intense, especially the hatch mode when you get attacked by both a minion and the real monster at the same time.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
It just doesn't seem like you're getting a lot for your 60 bucks. Only 3 monsters with future DLC monsters costing 15 bucks?? It's a joke imo. Compare that to other multiplayer only games like dota (every single hero is available for free, any future heroes will be available for free, + the base game is FREE) and Evolve just looks like a money grubbing scam in comparison.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 10, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cant wait to evolve into a new career so i can afford to play this game :wth:

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Nobody's twisting your arm to buy DLC though. If they didn't announce any extra content beforehand, people who are actually playing the game would just pester them about it until they did. And if this were the complete game as it stands today, they'd be accused of abandoning it.

I very rarely buy DLC on similar principle, but you guys are being loving babies about this one. At least it's a unique concept, and from what I saw in a stream earlier the gameplay is solid apart from the again standard day 1 bugs.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
No one ever talks about how Evolve is getting free map packs and game modes, or how you can play as the DLC characters without owning the DLC if you join a friend and switch with them either

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

^^^
Yeah, that's a model that Payday 2 used that I was a big fan of. I'm glad they adopted it here.

It's not worth 60 dollars whatsoever in its current state and doesn't reflect a reasonable cost of a lovely console port whatsoever. They're shooting themselves in the foot big time by basically setting up a situation where the game, which depends on multiplayer, will have a userbase that shrinks big time very quickly.

It sucks because it has promise and I wish it weren't that way but hey.

Ok, so help me out with this. Let's take Left 4 Dead as an example.

At launch, as far as I can find Left 4 Dead was $50 on PC and $60 on console. It had 20 maps, 5 of which were playable in VS at launch, and 8 playable characters (4 that were basically the same save for model and rig - the survivors, and then the 4 zombies), and two game modes. Evolve at launch has 13(?) maps, 15 unique playable characters, 6 game modes, and a much higher level of visual quality. The two products seem pretty equatable at that level. Is the issue that Evolve doesn't have a loose story to it like the campaigns in left 4 dead? Or is it that you don't think the game is that fun so it's not worth the price? Or is the comparison just wrong 'cause Left 4 Dead wasn't worth that much at launch either?

I'm honestly trying to understand here, since I've not yet had the opportunity to play the full release yet. Is the game in a much worse state than it was in the last beta?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it is insanely hosed up that this videogame is promoting class warfare so blatantly

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Brackhar posted:

Is the game in a much worse state than it was in the last beta?

Its actually a lot better than beta I can actually run with most settings maxed out now. Can't do high textures though because 660 Ti only has 1.5GB of fast vram, and I actually got into a game almost instantly with just 2 people instead of being stuck on matchmaking for an hour. My stuttering also vanished.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Brackhar posted:

At launch, as far as I can find Left 4 Dead was $50 on PC and $60 on console. It had 20 maps, 5 of which were playable in VS at launch, and 8 playable characters (4 that were basically the same save for model and rig - the survivors, and then the 4 zombies), and two game modes. Evolve at launch has 13(?) maps, 15 unique playable characters, 6 game modes, and a much higher level of visual quality. The two products seem pretty equatable at that level. Is the issue that Evolve doesn't have a loose story to it like the campaigns in left 4 dead? Or is it that you don't think the game is that fun so it's not worth the price? Or is the comparison just wrong 'cause Left 4 Dead wasn't worth that much at launch either?

I'm honestly trying to understand here, since I've not yet had the opportunity to play the full release yet. Is the game in a much worse state than it was in the last beta?

http://evolvegame.com/news/the-evolve-digital-versions-breakdown

Look at this with a straight face and tell us how you're not getting hosed in the rear end.

This game will not have anywhere near the population that Left 4 Dead 2 still does even 3 months in.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I'm glad they're doing a good job at price discrimination to maximize their revenue if it means that they'll never release pay-for map packs and the like that actually fracture the userbase.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

AIDS here get your AIDS here pay up front, it'll be free later

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Brackhar posted:

Is your argument that the base game as it exists isn't worth $60 or isn't a complete experience?

The argument that it's not a $100 game because consumers should constantly be paying you for stuff is dogshit. Competitive games should be launched in a finished state, period. You shouldn't have to go "well I hope they don't gently caress this game up with a bunch of retarded DLC that makes it unfun for me." I would rather have a game come out and never get new content than have DLC.

As long as games are based on gimmicks and gamers keep buying into it this trend of garbage multiplayer games is going to continue.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If you don't want to drop the money right now to take a pozzed load you can go to twitch and watch someone else take one

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Brackhar posted:

Tallying up maps, modes, and characters is an idiotic way of assessing value. By your method League of Legends must be worth an upfront payment of $300 because it has (I'm not joking) 123 playable characters (along with multiple maps and game modes).

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

http://evolvegame.com/news/the-evolve-digital-versions-breakdown

Look at this with a straight face and tell us how you're not getting hosed in the rear end.

This game will not have anywhere near the population that Left 4 Dead 2 still does even 3 months in.

I'm still not following. Yeah, they have pre-orders up for DLC to come later. But you're arguing that the game in its current release state is not worth $60. Can you explain why that's the case without referencing anything but what is in the game today? Do the new game modes really suck, is there not enough variety in the experience, what?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

$60 multiplayer only games generally turn out well so i wouldnt worry too much about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Brackhar posted:

I'm still not following. Yeah, they have pre-orders up for DLC to come later. But you're arguing that the game in its current release state is not worth $60. Can you explain why that's the case without referencing anything but what is in the game today? Do the new game modes really suck, is there not enough variety in the experience, what?

Well, the game has several broken parts but people are just going to hand wave that as "day 1 glitches" so even though that should be something to consider I won't go into that.

Chomp8645 posted:

Tallying up maps, modes, and characters is an idiotic way of assessing value. By your method League of Legends must be worth an upfront payment of $300 because it has (I'm not joking) 123 playable characters (along with multiple maps and game modes).

This guy makes a good point though.

It's going to be dead very soon just like the last few overhyped experiences and it's going to be really funny watching people defend it. I wish it weren't the case, I really do since I can see how it could be fun but they really blew it on the price point especially for PC since it's just a crappy port. There is no way that this is worth 60 dollars especially on the PC.

• Locked thread