Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Thanks Wee Tinkle Wand for most of the OP, Evilreaver for assault/support info.

What is it?
Turtle Rock's latest 4 player co-op game, this time with a twist since the biggest baddest motherfucker is another player, hence the 4v1 moniker you see thrown around.

It is a cooperative/competitive survival shooter. The game supports up to five players, four of whom team up as Hunters to take on a single, player-controlled Monster. The Monster's goal is to initially avoid the Hunters, and consume as many of the smaller AI creatures on the map as possible so that it may evolve into its more powerful forms. The Monster becomes a much bigger threat once evolved, meaning that the longer the match continues, the bigger an advantage the Monster will have. Much like Turtle Rock Studio's previous efforts Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, there is a big focus on teamwork and Hunter players will have to use their various special skills to take down the monster.

Despite being strong in numbers, the hunters also have to be wary of other dangers within the arena. Wildlife can attack if provoked and some act like traps.

Platforms
PC, PS4, Xbone

a cock shaped fruit posted:

It's public at the moment, but if you want to group up, do it here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/evolvedgoons/

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Updated the spreadsheet to be a little more visual, You can now tick a box to say what class you like playing, under what platform you play on.

It's available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jGPl8E1WapI_qXameG_leH_S4XHQ-i1q6Kx2x-xndlM/edit?usp=sharing

What does it look like?
Monster Gameplay
Hunter Gameplay
Non-Gameplay Hype Trailer

Game modes?
There are two ways to play: Evacuation Campaign and Hunt.

Evacuation Campaign: This is the main game and it takes place across 5 "days" where each day is one round on a different map. The first day is always a regular Hunt but the other days can have other objectives for both the Hunters and Monster. As the days progress you get a killed/saved counter for colonists and the Monster wins if they kill more people than the Hunters save in the end. The maps are represented by territories on a campaign map so you will see some varied environments.

If the hunters win a map they'll get a bonus in the next one, such as increased weapon buffs or map turrets in the next stage. If the monster wins the map then they'll get a bonus in the next one such as a toxic cloud, additional monster minions or other map hazards to work against the hazards. However the game also does some sort of auto-balance if one side wins a lot (don't know what this balance does exactly yet).

The final day is always a Defend mission with the Monster starting at stage 3 and assaulting power nodes on a linear map. They get some help in the form of a few stage 1 Goliaths which will periodically spawn and head straight for the current node. Regardless of Monster and Perk choices this is usually stacked in favor of the Hunters unlike most of the rest of the game.

Hunt: The simplest way to play the game, there is one Monster and four hunters. The Monster wins by simply killing all the Hunters or making it to the final stage of evolution and then destroying a power relay. Hunters win when the Monster dies. Every few minutes a dropship will respawn dead Hunters so the Monster has to finish off the survivors if they are going for a wipe.

Progression between games?
The more you play the more you rank up skills which increase the effectiveness of your Monster's abilities and your Hunter's tech. You also unlock perks which you get to pick one of before each match to gain a potent buff to your character. There is also a customizable personal icon that you will unlock parts for as you progress.

The Goliath is a large saurian-like monster with spiny skin that resembles igneous rock. Also, its eyes and mouth glow an orangish red like the fire they breathe. The Goliath is a brute who specializes in annihilating its opponents with its immense strength. The Goliath uses its fiery breath to incinerate any enemy who attempt to evade it.

The Kraken can generate bio-electricity from the two tentacle-like appendages on its back. Said appendages can be swung in a wide arc to cause blunt injury to anything hit, as well as fly/hover using them like wings. It also has four glowing blue eyes. While not the most durable of Shear's beasts, this eldritch being more than makes up for it with it's long range electrical blasts to snipe unfortunate prey from afar.

The Wraith is an almost ghost like bladed stealth hunter. She hits, she teleports, splits in two and hits harder. The Wraith is very weak physically, but uses her bizarre (sometimes borderline supernatural) abilities to confuse, deceive, and pick off its would be hunters one by one.

Name chosen by the players during the #NameThatMonster Contest, if you pre order the game you get the Behemoth for free when it is released. It appears to be a rather large creature, being much wider than the Stage Three Goliath.

The Assault class specializes in dealing out massive amounts of damage to the monster. They have a personal shield which makes then invincible for a short time.

Markov - Excellent on defense
Close Range: Lighting gun - Self aims, arcs to multiple targets
Long Range: Assault rifle
Equipment: Arc Mines - Huge damage, extremely visible. Good area denial.

Lighting gun is foolproof and easily dumpsters wildlife. Can chain off banshee mines to hit a Kraken behind them.

Hyde - Fair all-arounder
Close range: Flamethrower - Closer range, higher damage
Long range: Minigun - Shorter range than the rifle, but higher damage
Equipment: Gas grenades - Large radius, okayish damage unless the monster is stuck in it. More for area denial than damage.

Due to his close range, Hyde is pretty garbage against Kraken but does well against the others

Parnell - Damage king
Close range: Combat Shotgun - nice high damage with range
Long range: Rocket Launcher - AKA Rocket Propelled Bags of Marshmellows. Travels slow, doesn't really hurt. :geno:
Equipment: :catdrugs: - Boosts fire rate through the ceiling. Combine with Cabot Damage Amp and/or Sniper Weakpoints for insane damage. Self-hurts, so don't take if Lazarus is your medic.

Drugs almost makes the rockets hurt. They're good for hitting things that can't move and are far away, such as nest eggs, ?? and ????

Trappers get ways to track the monster and also have the extremely important Mobile Arena to trap the monster in an area so that it can't easily escape.

Maggie
Weapon - Machine Pistol - High spread with decent damage at close range.
Equipment 1 - Harpoon Mine Launcher - Proximity trap that slows monster, can place 5 at once but they take 3 seconds to arm.
Equipment 2 - Daisy - The tracking and teammate reviving pet trapjaw!

Daisy hints:
  • If the monster symbol is above her she has successfully caught the scent and is headed toward the monster. She will also sometimes howl the first time she picks up the scent or if you get too far away from her.
  • If you see Daisy sniffing around slowly with the monster icon above her head be careful, it means there is a monster sneaking around nearby in stealth mode. This is usually a good time to get the mobile arena ready for capture.
  • Daisy will “point” towards the Monster with her body as soon as she has it in her sights.

Griffin
Weapon - Gauss SMG - Medium range, medium damage.
Equipment 1 - Harpoon Gun - A harpoon mine in weapon format, easier to use but prevents you from using your other abilities.
Equipment 2 - Sound Spikes - Detects non sneaking monsters in a large area. You can place 5 for excellent map awareness.

Abe
Weapon - Custom Shotgun - Strong close range weapon but can be fired slowly for ranged accuracy.
Equipment 1 - Tracking Dart Pistol - Tag every bit of wildlife and if the monster eats it you get 45 seconds of tracking.
Equipment 2 - Stasis Grenade - Grenades that make cause an AOE slow area for 15 seconds.

Medics get an AoE burst heal and have other methods of keeping the team going.

Val
Weapon - Sniper Rifle - Obviously long range, mainly for making damage boosting weak points than actual damage
Equipment 1 - Med Gun - TF2 style heal beam, can revive from range
Equipment 2 - Tranquillizer - Slows monster movement speed, great at chasing and keeping distance from melee attacks

The most straight forward medic, all her tools let her stay at range and out of danger.

Lazarus
Weapon - Silenced Sniper Rifle - A variation on Val's rifle, faster firing with shorter duration weak spots
Equipment 1 - Lazarus Device - Oh you know, it only BRINGS PEOPLE BACK FROM THE DEAD with no HP hit from being downed
Equipment 2 - Personal cloak - Without much active healing it's critical for Lazarus to keep from being downed first by the monster

A nightmare for the monster if you can exploit his strength of negating HP penalties. Don't let the monster eat dead players and keep a low profile.

Caira
Weapon - Grenade launcher - Two in one combat/healing weapon. Difficult to aim but has AOE healing, including self healing
Equipment 1 - Acceleration Field - Perfect for chasing when the monster doesn't want to fight

With your potential to self heal you can more safely get stuck in with your team.

The support class specializes in protecting their team from the monster and have the ability to turn the whole team invisible if they stick close.

Hank - Probably OP
Weapon - Laser cutter - Might as well be an assault weapon, accurate high-damage
Equipment 1 - Shield Gen - Gives someone a Heavy-style personal shield, extremely durable and fast-charging
Equipment 2 - Orbital Strike - Kills the poo poo out of things that don't move, like harpooned monsters, evolving monsters, monsters killing downed hunters, or rock-throwing goliaths

Orbital strike can do an unholy amount of damage but his main strength is shielding. Monsters hate you.

Bucket - Trapper Lite
Weapon - Guided Rockets - Hurts pretty well at all ranges
Equipment 1 - UAV - Good at finding the monster when your tracker is asleep/Abe but leaves you vulnerable/falling behind the team
Equipment 2 - Sentry Turrets - Cumulatively high damage and extremely annoying to monsters

Great defensive damage but limited utility. Very strong on some evacuation maps.

Cabot - I trust my Assault friend A Lot
Weapon - Railgun - hits monsters through walls, doesn't hurt as much as you'd think a railgun would :arghfist:
Equipment 1 - Damage Amp - Improves all damage hitting the monster
Equipment 2 - Dust Bomb - Highlights all living things in an area, if you hit a monster you can easily rail him through walls

Let's his team do their jobs more easily.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
looks fun(?)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

quaunaut posted:

Seems like I'm off to a great start. Nearly done with the Assault tutorial, aaaaaaaand game crashes straight on out. No error, no nothin'.

This might help:

teh_Broseph posted:

Heads up, got mad crashes this morning that stopped after disabling my video card OC, dropping the graphics settings to medium, disabling Vsync, and setting AA to default. 2500k + AMD 7970 and been solid in other games recently. I had some crashes in the beta that went away after lowering settings too.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This game is loving garbage.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

You'll get more satisfaction playing as the Tank in either L4D for the few seconds they let you vs this entire game.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I find the game rather fun

then again not fun enough to buy at current prices + overpriced dlc

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I tried a solo game and Maggie got stuck on a particularly difficult creek, bouncing around in a 3 foot radius, rending the match basically unwinnable for the hunter team.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

Ok great thanks, guy who's paid over $60 to a forum

Still on the fence about picking this up today or this week, but the reviews look favorable. The few matches I played in beta were really hectic and I had little idea what was going on, is the learning curve pretty steep?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lblitzer posted:

You think he's paid for any of those unbans?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
There's a new Nvidia driver which could help crashing.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

Still on the fence about picking this up today or this week, but the reviews look favorable. The few matches I played in beta were really hectic and I had little idea what was going on, is the learning curve pretty steep?

2x lmao combo!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
you paid more for this game that is a free to play game than I ever spent on these forums. TF2 is free, LFD2 is free or whatever, this game is 60 dollars + a ton of money for poo poo that would be drops in any other game (skins, guns, whatever)

This game is AIDS incarnate

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

qnqnx posted:

2x lmao combo!

lmao

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey the reviewers who were payed to say this literal garbage is good, said its good. Think I should buy it?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i sure like... *squints at the terrible font* ...bucket

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
the game is only as good as the people you're playing it with.

grab it in a sale in a coupla months when theres a chance some of the playerbase know what the gently caress they doin.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lblitzer posted:

sick burn

rap sheet shaming is epic for the....win

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
2k will nickel and dime you harder than lowtax imo

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose Mengelez posted:

the game is only as good as the people you're playing it with.

grab it in a sale in a coupla months when theres a chance some of the playerbase know what the gently caress they doin.

Grab it when it's free to play

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You guys must be my financial advisors you are saving me money thank you!!! :bravo:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lblitzer posted:

You guys must work at my bank because you are saving me money thank you!!! :bravo:

:eyepop: :chanpop: :eyepop:

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
You are not acting like the person Mr. Rogers knew you could be.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I would buy this game is it were like $20.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do not but this aids infested game no matter the price.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

univbee posted:

9. Rent the game
10. Wait a month for it to go on a Steam sale
11. Use the 20% off coupon Greenmangaming perpetually has
12. Buy it somewhere where game prices are cheaper like Canada or Mexico or something
13. How about you play something else because seriously, your backlog is shameful

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Why the hate-on for this game by the domino pizza ycs crew? Is the actual gameplay bad, or are you just Batmaning for gamer rights because of their poo poo dlc?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It would be cool to know if this game was actually worth it. But the last few pages of the last thread and this first page is just a bunch of thread shitters.

I have 2 other friends I play with regularly and we are all considering getting into Evolve. How is the online party system? Are you all stuck as hunters the entire time?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Black Baby Goku posted:

Do not but this aids infested game no matter the price.

Ok you convinced me.

In any case I think a $20 limit and $0 are the same here. There will perpetually be so much DLC that it will be impossible to ever buy a "complete" version for $20 no matter how deep a sale goes.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Firstborn posted:

Why the hate-on for this game by the domino pizza ycs crew? Is the actual gameplay bad, or are you just Batmaning for gamer rights because of their poo poo dlc?

I've played the game, it's AIDS. And this is coming from a real gamer here who spends maybe 16-20 hours gaming daily. I'm on welfare.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Q. Does a 'skin' do anything apart from make the monster look different?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Firstborn posted:

We all tried it in the beta and it was horrific. Judging by the issues others are having it looks like not enough got fixed. It's way overpriced for what it is but I have no idea what you're talking about with gamer rights.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popete posted:

It would be cool to know if this game was actually worth it. But the last few pages of the last thread and this first page is just a bunch of thread shitters.

I have 2 other friends I play with regularly and we are all considering getting into Evolve. How is the online party system? Are you all stuck as hunters the entire time?

Get new friends.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

just a bunch of thread shitters.

this is a video games topic in a games subforum on a "comedy" message board

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

happyhippy posted:

lol what do you think

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Popete posted:

You will always be hunter if playing online with friends. The only way to be in a group and be a monster is if you're playing a private match, meaning you would need exactly five players in a group.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Black Baby Goku posted:

Get new friends.

Remember how the game wouldn't let you have a group of 5 friends play and forced you to use a random for the monster?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Widestancer I'm glad you're Samus again.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

happyhippy posted:

usually the monster looks kinda like a rock if its crouched and not moving so the hunters will just trundle on by none the wiser, the skins make you not look like a rock therefore they suck.

oh and theres weapon skins because cs:go is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Wait they really didn't fix that?

Lol.

• Locked thread