Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Elotana posted:

Someone tell me which tiger came first

AHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So was that tiger face like some public domain clipart or something? :psyduck:

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

DJExile posted:

So was that tiger face like some public domain clipart or something? :psyduck:

I just read this trying to figure who had it first
http://www.warblogle.com/2012/02/29/miscellaneous/bad-news-on-the-origin-of-the-old-tiger-head-logo/

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Don't worry guys I just checked and MSU and UGA have different bulldogs.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

roll tide

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Also the OSU sailor hat logo isn't a ripoff but it is vaguely horrifying

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
GT had this awesome guy back in the day

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

According to this site Auburn is the only one of the three that officially used that (fun site to look around at things by the way). They claim Auburn used it from 1957-70, then as an alternate from 71-81. Nothing really close to it shows up on the Mizzou or LSU pages.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UConn needs to bring back that 2nd one

E: worriedhusky kind of owns too

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Quick (mod-approved) non-football request: Can any Oregon State goons in this thread recommend good housing in or within driving distance of Corvallis? My fiancée might be taking a postdoc there but they would want her to start at the end of next month, which doesn't give us as much time as we'd want to figure poo poo out, especially since we would be moving there from Chicago (I looked briefly at Junction City since there seems to be more work opportunities for me in Eugene). Bonus points if you also know anyone around there who would want to hire someone with an MS in chemistry and work experience in food chem :angel: PM if you can, thanks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

According to this site Auburn is the only one of the three that officially used that (fun site to look around at things by the way). They claim Auburn used it from 1957-70, then as an alternate from 71-81. Nothing really close to it shows up on the Mizzou or LSU pages.

Of course they also claim LSU was using this abomination until 2002, which absolutely cannot be right can it?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My favorite UF logo will always be:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

A few years ago Iowa, as part of their neverending quest to make me angry and go against all reason and logic, pulled out of Florida recruiting entirely, even though several of the best teams of the Ferentz era relied heavily on getting under the radar guys from Florida like Brad Banks or Abdul Hodge (they have also never bothered to recruit running QBs and go back to the offense they ran in 02, so clearly they view the best Iowa team since the late 50s as some sort of cautionary tale to be avoided). They've since reversed course a little thankfully, but not to the degree they should be. I'd much rather be grabbing second tier or even third tier guys from Florida and Texas than trying to build around the scraps left over in Illinois and Ohio after Michigan, OSU, and Notre Dame get their pick of the best.

Oh don't even get me started, Beamer pulled the same poo poo. Had some bad experiences or something and essentially packed his bags and went home crying until we hired an alumnus(Torrian Gray, current DB coach) who was from the state and now, shocker, we have some awesome players and they've come from the state.

There's an enormous glut of talent each year, more than the in-state schools can handle, and the level of play is so much higher than virtually anywhere else. Zero reason not to recruit that state, even if you're a Cali or Texas school.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Of course they also claim LSU was using this abomination until 2002, which absolutely cannot be right can it?

:stare:

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

proof rutgers is #1 in the best conference in all of college football big ten conference of champions gently caress notre dame amen

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LeeMajors posted:

My favorite UF logo will always be:

The ISU logo from the early 80s is my favorite. Way better than the generic "I" we use now

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Grittybeard posted:

This looks like someone saw a tiger's face in a cinnamon roll and they made that their logo.

Or it looks like barf.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

DJExile posted:

E: worriedhusky kind of owns too

UConn and UW need to schedule each other and wear vintage worriedhusky logos

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Grittybeard posted:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I really like the old school gobbler logo.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Elotana posted:

Worried my rear end that thing had a stroke

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Grittybeard posted:

this loving rules though

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Elotana posted:

lmao this owns

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Motherfucker. OU's DL coach/co-DC and top recruiter Jerry Montgomery got poached by the Packers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I still have a thing for BG's old logo. Had this neat abstract quality about it

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Probably the best sports logo ever

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Grittybeard posted:

Lsu's most recent logo design is similar to this one but has been touched up to be less offputting. I still like the current (and I think it's still the official one) one most people use better though.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

lmao

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
I like how his left eye is heart shaped. I should have made the other one match to better depict the love for corndogs

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

Probably the best sports logo ever

What the gently caress is this. Seriously. What is it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

The ISU logo from the early 80s is my favorite. Way better than the generic "I" we use now

Bird In A Blender Supremacy.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Emron posted:

about 6 minutes in MS paint

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Emron posted:

It's the 1927-28 Detroit Tigers logo. It looks like he just walked in on his wife in bed with another tiger. The shock and the reeling, the first pangs of emotional devastation, it's all there.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 11, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :gonk:

Speaking of Buckeyes, Cardale Jones continues to be pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I've improved the old Boise State logo

• Locked thread