Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Man that new Curse of the Maze transition messes with my eyes. Fun :)

After several fruitless tries at beating the Family Man challenge, I finally got a run where I was Guppy by the end of Basement 2. Cake walk. Now my rage is focused on Suicide Kings. gently caress that challenge forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

something posted:

The bug/possibly synergy was more that I had no projectile. I just... exploded, just like kamikaze.

I had that once. I also had wonderful tears, so I would rocket across the screen in a blaze of glory.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

something posted:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a glorious synergy, but triple shot + fetus in a jar + ipecac = a triple explosion that gets set off immediately around me like kamikaze, and it isn't hurting me even though I don't have pyromaniac.
I got a similar item combo not long ago. It wasn't Kamikaze-like so much as a super short-ranged shotgun attack that one-shot anything directly in front of me, including most bosses. The explosions didn't hurt me either, though getting flung around the room got a little old after a while.

I recorded most of the run from that point onwards, but none of the editing software I've tried will open the file even though I can watch it just fine in MPC and other players. :shrug:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

bucksmash posted:

Man that new Curse of the Maze transition messes with my eyes. Fun :)

After several fruitless tries at beating the Family Man challenge, I finally got a run where I was Guppy by the end of Basement 2. Cake walk. Now my rage is focused on Suicide Kings. gently caress that challenge forever.

I had a really good run on Suicide King where I started next to a curse room, which had a red chest inside, which took me to a devil deal for Mom's Knife.

Then I died because it decided that it would refuse to give me any spirit hearts or health for the rest of the run, leaving me with a very high-damage but low-health run which inevitably got me killed against a particularly tricky boss.

I managed to do it without the knife after that but yes it is a loving stupidly tricky challenge.

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
can you get out of the room?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

bucksmash posted:

gently caress that challenge forever.

It's all in the shadow. If you can reliably hit your target with the shadow of your shot, it takes a lot of guesswork out of it.

Also, it's really easy to make your own luck if you get the boomerang timing down. Ipecac on floor one means you can get into every secret room, blow up every tinted rock, and find every black market for the entire run if you're patient.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Ursine Asylum posted:

It's all in the shadow. If you can reliably hit your target with the shadow of your shot, it takes a lot of guesswork out of it.

Also, it's really easy to make your own luck if you get the boomerang timing down. Ipecac on floor one means you can get into every secret room, blow up every tinted rock, and find every black market for the entire run if you're patient.

The other option is to luck out and get a dice room to reroll your character into something easier :v: I did both wakka wakka and suicide king that way and have no regrets about it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Vidmaster posted:

The other option is to luck out and get a dice room to reroll your character into something easier :v: I did both wakka wakka and suicide king that way and have no regrets about it.

Might end up needing that for wakka wakka. I got Strange Attractor without knowing what it was and it was as automatic a run-ender as I had ever seen. Got flat out run over in a double-chub boss room.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Wakka wakka is really easy if you play it the way the challenge is titled. Just leave trails of tears and run away, really simple.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the worst challenges are the one where you have no reasonable damage. Not because they're hard but because they are boring as poo poo.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
The worst challenge for a while for me was the hairball challenge because I couldn't get any familiars or anything for a long time. And swinging that drat hairball around was annoying.

Solar System was really hard for me, but I enjoyed it and kept trying it till I got it. I think that one is actually a really good challenge too, because it makes you practice using your orbitals for damage. I used to always be afraid to get my Meat Cube up in bosses faces, but I do it a lot now. I still get hit sometimes, but it is worth it!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solar System is probably my favorite of the blindfold challenges. It's a fun one at least.

Family Man would be a lot better if it didn't go all the way to Isaac since the chest without much damage besides flies is awful.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
MissingNo is a lot of fun. A character reroll at the start of every floor. I wish it wasn't so rare.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

TheModernAmerican posted:

Wakka wakka is really easy if you play it the way the challenge is titled. Just leave trails of tears and run away, really simple.

Pfffhahaha, I'm an idiot. All this time I was wondering what the challenge had to do with Fozzie Bear.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

PostNouveau posted:

Anyone gotten the, I think, new 2 by 2 room with 4 rotating laser eyes in the middle around 4 magnets with 6 mom hands? It's the loving devil.

Edit: Also, they moved the poops in front of the doors in the infamous red-poop room one tile off the doors. Good call.

Never seen that one. I think it's amazing that in over 200 hours played I still see rooms I've never seen before semi-regularly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kemikalkadet posted:

Never seen that one. I think it's amazing that in over 200 hours played I still see rooms I've never seen before semi-regularly.

I think they added it in the last update.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

PostNouveau posted:

I think they added it in the last update.

I'm not sure if it's the same room but I remember a screenshot posted near release of a large room with 4 magnets in the centre. Someone had flight and slow movement speed and got stuck in the middle without the speed to escape the magnets. This recent patch did add a bunch of new room layouts though. had one today where the room was filled with a ring of rocks and boom barrels, there's only one place safe to shoot but if you don't move quick enough, the explosions loop around and hit you.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
If you somehow get stuck in a room you could just quit/continue to spawn by one of the doors.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Am I blind or the game version isn't displayed anywhere anymore?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

ImpAtom posted:

Solar System is probably my favorite of the blindfold challenges. It's a fun one at least.

Family Man would be a lot better if it didn't go all the way to Isaac since the chest without much damage besides flies is awful.

Do damage modifiers affect the damage the flies cause? What about the item that makes your fly companions bigger?. Never mind I looked up Hive Mind... Blue flies do more damage.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

The BFFs item increases their size and damage, I think?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kemikalkadet posted:

I'm not sure if it's the same room but I remember a screenshot posted near release of a large room with 4 magnets in the centre. Someone had flight and slow movement speed and got stuck in the middle without the speed to escape the magnets.

Yeah, that's it. Man, I've been playing this game a ton and never hit that until a couple of days ago.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

messagemode1 posted:

The BFFs item increases their size and damage, I think?

BFF will increase the size of your familiars and orbitals, including Pretty Fly/Halo of Flies/Big Fan/etc., but won't do anything about the flies or spiders you generate with items like the Mulligan or Infestation 2. That's Hive Mind.

Hive Mind is basically a must-get if you're having a Guppy run.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

BFF will increase the size of your familiars and orbitals, including Pretty Fly/Halo of Flies/Big Fan/etc., but won't do anything about the flies or spiders you generate with items like the Mulligan or Infestation 2. That's Hive Mind.

Hive Mind is basically a must-get if you're having a Guppy run.

I thought we were talking about solar system. But I guess we were instead talking about family man!

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 10, 2015

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Blank Card + Jera + Chest:

Probably should've brought the paper clip though...

Edit: and after a reroll:

I absolutely love breaking this game.

The ideology eater fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 10, 2015

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
What's sad is when you have 50+ pedestal items in a room and it just showcases how lame 50+ of the items can really be. Oh 40 spacebar items and a few health-ups? But it LOOKED so broken!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

There's only 3 spacebar items in that picture though. And not to mention, you're not supposed to see 200 of the game's 300 items in one run.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I've got the Lost fully completed, but I have about 5 items that I still haven't seen, including Godhead. Is there a good guide out there on the best way to try and break the game to get those leftover items quicker?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

messagemode1 posted:

I thought we were talking about solar system. But I guess we were instead talking about family man!

I thought I'd just clear up what BFF and Hive Mind do, 'cause I've seen so many people get them mixed up and think that BFF makes spawned flies bigger, or that Hive Mind works on fly orbitals.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Crackbone posted:

I've got the Lost fully completed, but I have about 5 items that I still haven't seen, including Godhead. Is there a good guide out there on the best way to try and break the game to get those leftover items quicker?

theres lots of ways, you just have to be lucky+creative with what you get.

so far my only fully reliable infinite reroll happened with sharp plug, wafer, piggy bank and bloody penny.

usually you want something like habit or sharp plug to help recharging the d6

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I found godhead after setting up the majority of a gamebreak (had a sharp plug and gimpy) when I walked into a god room and it was just sitting right loving there.

I'm done! I'm free! Real platinum god!

Guess I'll go do something else... like uhh... play Isaac.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Going back to the challenges, I hope I'm not the only one that thinks Beans is the worst loving challenge of the lot. I literally beat Family Man, Solar System and Cat Got Your Tongue on my first try but Beans is just horrible. The Bean with a 15-second auto recharge is not a good damage source at all past basement 1 and the challenge makes you find out how fast 99 bombs can go away.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Huh, an item inside a non-boss arena. Was that changed in some recent patch or what?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

omeg posted:

Huh, an item inside a non-boss arena. Was that changed in some recent patch or what?

Nah, that's always been there. It's just rare.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009

TheModernAmerican posted:

I found godhead after setting up the majority of a gamebreak (had a sharp plug and gimpy) when I walked into a god room and it was just sitting right loving there.

I'm done! I'm free! Real platinum god!

Guess I'll go do something else... like uhh... play Isaac.

Exact same thing happened to me too. Only missing Stop Watch which is refusing to spawn for me.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I just did 6 runs where I only got one devil spawn room (2nd floor), then nothing for rest of the run. No red heart damage. gently caress you game.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

SnoruntPyro posted:

Going back to the challenges, I hope I'm not the only one that thinks Beans is the worst loving challenge of the lot. I literally beat Family Man, Solar System and Cat Got Your Tongue on my first try but Beans is just horrible. The Bean with a 15-second auto recharge is not a good damage source at all past basement 1 and the challenge makes you find out how fast 99 bombs can go away.
Beans was my worst by far. It eventually came down to making those 99 bombs last until I could find lil' brimstone.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Taking Libra now would be bad, right?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone know what the recent patch did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

ThaumPenguin posted:

Taking Libra now would be bad, right?

Well it'll improve your movement speed and charge time...