Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

tuyop posted:

You could just like, not eat lunch if the streak is that important. You won't die.

He also won't die from eating out once in 8 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I was trying to be ironic. I feel defeated, but I don't really care that much. I'm gonna cook up a lasagna this weekend so I can make it another 8 months, hopefully.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I was trying to be ironic. I feel defeated, but I don't really care that much. I'm gonna cook up a lasagna this weekend so I can make it another 8 months, hopefully.

That's a lot of lasagna.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Folly posted:

That's a lot of lasagna.

Fair point. The lasagna is just used a backup for when I don't have any other good options!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I got a roommate and he pays my $750 a month and half my utilities, life is good.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007
Just finished paying off my college credit card. Five years later. I'm ashamed of my idiotic spending as a younger man but am happy things have turned around. Now the only debt we have is our mortgage and two student loans and we have 8+ months of savings in the bank.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Impressive streak, nice job.

I've logged 25 days straight of calories that has no doubt improved things financially over not dieting. Health and financial double win!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

Impressive streak, nice job.

I've logged 25 days straight of calories that has no doubt improved things financially over not dieting. Health and financial double win!

Did you take a huge break from logging over Christmas as well?

hosed if I'm going to weigh and track all these silly cheese hors d'oeuvres.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

tuyop posted:

That's a good indication that you shouldn't be eating them, then. I don't mean from a moral or even health perspective, but for the 3-4 months that I got serious about eating well I would shun [almost] anything that I couldn't account for.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tuyop posted:

Yea I stopped basically from this summer to around the holidays :-/ I gained about 8 lbs over that time, not awful but not great. I saw your massive streak was ended too at some point.

My wife and I are doing rewards based dieting. Since I don't have much weight to lose, my goal was to reach my goal weight and then maintain it within a few lbs and track my food for X number of months. If I can do that, then I get to buy myself a new shiny.

How's stuff going with you? I remember you saying a while back about your wife getting out of the army and going back to school, your disability (or whatever) ending soon, etc. You doing ok?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Jealous of your 8-month streak, drat.

I just found a sweet make-ahead smoothie recipe, though. Oatmeal Smoothies

I think I'm going to order some more lids for my magic bullet cups (I only have 1 lid and many cups), so I can make a few at a time to take to work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea I stopped basically from this summer to around the holidays :-/ I gained about 8 lbs over that time, not awful but not great. I saw your massive streak was ended too at some point.

My wife and I are doing rewards based dieting. Since I don't have much weight to lose, my goal was to reach my goal weight and then maintain it within a few lbs and track my food for X number of months. If I can do that, then I get to buy myself a new shiny.

How's stuff going with you? I remember you saying a while back about your wife getting out of the army and going back to school, your disability (or whatever) ending soon, etc. You doing ok?

Fast food and anything you get at a restaurant is basically a whole days worth of calories as well, so tracking is good that way. Unless you're bulking like me. :( then you just put butter on loving all the food.

Wife is still leaving the army, working on distance upgrading now so she can go to school, but I don't think she'll be able to start classes until next January. I get the pleasure of leaving the city to teach in a northern community, in one of the worst ranked high schools in Alberta (17% graduation rate), living in "a trailer or something" that's "probably heated" for 9 weeks. In exchange I get 8k to pay for wife's tuition, and an extra 500/month for separation allowance, so that's good?

Should be the most brutal 9 weeks. I'm not sure that I'll have electricity. I may be sleeping in a sleeping bag in the staff room or something.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's like your yurt dreams came true!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

It's like your yurt dreams came true!

Yeah! Just 40 degree colder winters!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This seems to be the right subforum, but I can't find a thread for apartment hunting. Is there one, or can anyone point me to any resources?

The short of my situation is that I've been living in my current apartment for two years and my lease has come up for renewal by April. However, the monthly price of the 12 month lease has shot up from 630 a month to 765 a month. While I can afford this if need be, it would account for more of my budget than I'm happy with and I frankly don't think this apartment is worth that much per month and need to start looking at potential alternatives - I make about $23k a year. I have to hand in 60 days prior written notice of intent to move, which leaves me until February 20 to decide if I'm going to move (maybe less than that, the date I have to work from is April 20).

If it matters, I live in Florida, specifically Fort Myers.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There's an apartment thread in ask/tell I think.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

There's an apartment thread in ask/tell I think.

...And it's even at the top of the page. *facepalm* Thank you, for some reason I had assumed it would be in this subforum.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I did not realize going to grad school would get me some $$$ back on my taxes. Woohoo, unexpected money!

What makes it better is that the student loans I took out to pay for this and next semester will be forgiven by the government.

Feels kinda like free money, even if it's not.

(Don't worry, I'm only spending $100 of it frivolously. The rest will be split between my moving and grad school funds.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Aw, they closed the slomo thread!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
A bit painful but the right thing to do. The slomo drip feed was getting obnoxious.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It should have been closed months ago. I guess it gave me something to read while at my old job,at the very least.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm eating out regularly (edit: just at work)again but only to make dieting easier. I'm down about 15lbs since January. Once I get to my target weight I'll start preparing my own lunches again.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 10, 2015

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm eating out regularly again but only to make dieting easier.

Elaborate, please.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Cicero posted:

A bit painful but the right thing to do. The slomo drip feed was getting obnoxious.

Well plus the "trying to decide what to wear to the abortion" thing just completely ruined the troll.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Inverse Icarus posted:

Elaborate, please.

Dieting is stressful and being at work is stressful. It's completely psychological/unnecessary but going out for a small meal makes my workday a little easier. In a couple weeks/month I'll be at the weight I want and it'll be easier to get back into the routine.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 10, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009
The main reason I go out to eat lunch is to just leave the office so I dont have to smalltalk with the old ladies and get some quiet time.

Theyre all really nice but I just dont want to chit chat during my whole break.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
gently caress the USPS, I set up mail forwarding to my new address and just heard from my boss that my w2 came back marked "undeliverable, unable to forward." Which means all of my 1099s are lost in the ether too. I need to get my taxes done so I can get approved to buy a house and now I can't, and gently caress this poo poo forever. UGH

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moana posted:

gently caress the USPS, I set up mail forwarding to my new address and just heard from my boss that my w2 came back marked "undeliverable, unable to forward." Which means all of my 1099s are lost in the ether too. I need to get my taxes done so I can get approved to buy a house and now I can't, and gently caress this poo poo forever. UGH

I think forwarding is only good for 30 days and then you have to renew it

moana
Jun 18, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I think forwarding is only good for 30 days and then you have to renew it
No, that's holds. Forwarding is good for up to a year.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

moana posted:

gently caress the USPS, I set up mail forwarding to my new address and just heard from my boss that my w2 came back marked "undeliverable, unable to forward." Which means all of my 1099s are lost in the ether too.

I just sent mine out to freelance RPG writers/artists/cartographers, all electronically.

Are a lot of the people you work for/with still mailing you physical 1099s in 2015?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

moana posted:

Ugh, that is lovely. You can always count on the USPS to mess forwarding up.

I once got screwed because I filed my address change like 2 weeks before moving (although I correctly put what date the forwarding was suppose to start), and they immediately stopped sending my mail, and were holding it until it was time to start forwarding. Now I'm careful to file like 2 days before moving.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Now I'm wondering how much mail I've lost across my five moves.

I guess nothing could have been that important.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

KoB posted:

The main reason I go out to eat lunch is to just leave the office so I dont have to smalltalk with the old ladies and get some quiet time.

Theyre all really nice but I just dont want to chit chat during my whole break.

I try to go on a walk every work day. Gets me away from my desk (and people talking work in the breakroom).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I go on a walk every day at lunch. But now I'm that crazy guy that walks around the block when it's sub-zero and snowing and the sidewalks haven't been plowed.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

My office is like 5 blocks from my place so every day I go home for lunch and walk my dog :3:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

pig slut lisa posted:

My office is like 5 blocks from my place so every day I go home for lunch and walk my dog :3:
I was fortunate enough to be in this situation for a year and goddam if it wasn't the greatest thing in the world.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Inverse Icarus posted:

I just sent mine out to freelance RPG writers/artists/cartographers, all electronically.

Are a lot of the people you work for/with still mailing you physical 1099s in 2015?

We call them T4s but every employer I've had has mailed mine except a university, which sent them electronically. It was so nice.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
We refinanced our existing mortgage (paid off 60% in 4 years) and the mortgage from the new apartment we bought into one new mortgage. The payments are the same as what we get from our guesthouse, so all the rent from the new apartment we put directly on the mortgage, as well as most of our salaries. Should be paid off in full in 2-3 years, but if either of us ever lose our job, it's nice to know we are essentially living rent free AND paying off a 2nd property at the same time.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Welp I ate out for lunch today. Had a long Dr. appointment for my son, who needs surgery for a hernia so I bought him some McDonald's.

At least I've already hit my out of pocket deductible for the year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

Amazon owes me a half dozen 1099s and I just emailed them - they say they can't send anything electronically. It loving sucks.