Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

vulturesrow posted:

Well SWO JOs have a lot of stuff do as well and arguably the Chiefs should be handling a lot of the low level aspects of running a division. In aviation it's unavoidable because I'm not available for many hours at a time when I'm planning, briefing, flying, and debriefing.

Don't forget your mando eight hours of sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Applewhite posted:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Applewhite posted:

8 hours isn't really enough tbh.

Also, crew rest is a"should" not a "shall"according to 3710. :science:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

vulturesrow posted:

The SWO in me just instantly used that as a concession/justification for less sleep.

The human in me hates the SWO in me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

vulturesrow posted:

8 hours isn't really enough tbh.

Talk to me when you are in 3 sections and just came off the 2-7 and are expected to do the 22-02 the next night and there's a GQ all day so God loving forbid you be in your rack for any reasonable amount of time. Maybe if you skip dinner you can catch a couple hours.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Applewhite posted:

Talk to me when you are ~navy things~ and just came off the ~navy work~ and are expected to do the ~more navy work?~ the next night and there's a ~gay magazine~ all day so God loving forbid you be in your ~navy place~ for any reasonable amount of time. Maybe if you skip dinner you can catch a couple hours.

For the other IDCers

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Talk to me when you are in 3 sections and just came off the 2-7 and are expected to do the 22-02 the next night and there's a GQ all day so God loving forbid you be in your rack for any reasonable amount of time. Maybe if you skip dinner you can catch a couple hours.

I was joking about the 8 hour thing buuuuuut...choose your rate, choose your fate!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Applewhite posted:

Talk to me when you are in 3 sections and just came off the 2-7 and are expected to do the 22-02 the next night and there's a GQ all day you're a SWO so God loving forbid you be in your rack for any reasonable amount of time. Maybe if you skip dinner you can catch a couple hours. 20 minutes.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Analogical posted:

For the other IDCers

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Analogical posted:

For the other IDCers

You guys have buttplug lol.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

You guys have buttplug lol.

That's a downer tbh

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

My last captain had in his standing orders that you had to get at least 4 hours of sleep a night. He recommended 5. If you had to assume the watch with less than 4, you had to get permission from him first. He didn't like being woke up for it, but it was one of those things he was on top of. He encouraged us to catch naps anytime we could during the day on nights that we would be up like that.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Mr. Nice! posted:

My last captain had in his standing orders that you had to get at least 4 hours of sleep a night. He recommended 5. If you had to assume the watch with less than 4, you had to get permission from him first. He didn't like being woke up for it, but it was one of those things he was on top of. He encouraged us to catch naps anytime we could during the day on nights that we would be up like that.

:staredog:

You got to sleep every night??

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I feel like the only reason SWOs don't commit suicide more often is because it would look bad on their fitrep.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KetTarma posted:

:staredog:

You got to sleep every night??

or during the day??

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
The SWO is too drat strong in me.

SWO is literally the Navy. It's god's work that others don't have the balls to do it. We're making miracles happen every loving day on nothing. COCOMs are hungry idiotic political beasts in peace time and their demand signal for their "missions" literally destroys the fleets and the Sailors. SWOs have to make that poo poo happen. There's a reason why at the Pentagon there's a saying that if it's a particularly difficult task with little guidance or reference to go from "give it a SWO." We get poo poo done, it may not be pretty and people's lives might suck but WE GET poo poo DONE. All this with sequestration, reduced manning, retarded procurement, BUPERS, OPNAV, and a million other BS.
:cmon:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Howard Phillips posted:

SWO is literally the Navy. It's god's work that others don't have the balls to do it. We're making miracles happen every loving day on nothing. COCOMs are hungry idiotic political beasts in peace time and their demand signal for their "missions" literally destroys the fleets and the Sailors. SWOs have to make that poo poo happen. There's a reason why at the Pentagon there's a saying that if it's a particularly difficult task with little guidance or reference to go from "give it a SWO." We get poo poo done, it may not be pretty and people's lives might suck but WE GET poo poo DONE. All this with sequestration, reduced manning, retarded procurement, BUPERS, OPNAV, and a million other BS.

Yeah that's what they told me that got me to go SWO, too.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Howard Phillips posted:

SWO go home.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Null Integer posted:

SWO go home.

Our home is the sea.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Applewhite posted:

Yeah that's what they told me that got me to go SWO, too.

They told me about Westpac and Med cruises.
Then 9/11 happened.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Howard Phillips posted:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Howard Phillips posted:

loving lmao

Noble.txt

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
You think that's something, get a gung-ho Boatswain's Mate talking about how BMs are "literally the Navy."

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah, that's not something to be proud of. Instead of making everything worse for yourself, your sailors, your peers and you ships, there needs to be a line where SWOs say its unhealthy and they can't assume more duties or missions. Maybe then there would be some unfucking of funding, manning and platforms.

The current SWO culture as evidenced above is toxic. You shouldn't be proud of getting less sleep than the next guy. You shouldn't be proud of almost driving yourself to a breakdown. You shouldn't be proud of constantly being yelled at/ yelling at juniors. The FITREP shouldn't be padded by beating the souls out of the people below you to accomplish some bullshit that doesn't really have to be done RIGHT NOW. When a SWO gets promoted to upper leadership from this environment, they perpetuate it just because its the way it has always been. The other ones get out.

You should be proud of finding ways to streamline poo poo so everyone can get their off time as necessary. If this isn't possible, poo poo is broken.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

You think that's something, get a gung-ho Boatswain's Mate talking about how BMs are "literally the Navy."

then goes to OCS, becomes SWO

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Analogical posted:

then goes to OCS, becomes SWO

That would require a BM learning to read and write.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

It was me I started that. I was a young and inexperienced 1st Lt. I was just trying to motivate my sailors.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

Yeah, that's not something to be proud of. Instead of making everything worse for yourself, your sailors, your peers and you ships, there needs to be a line where SWOs say its unhealthy and they can't assume more duties or missions. Maybe then there would be some unfucking of funding, manning and platforms.

The current SWO culture as evidenced above is toxic. You shouldn't be proud of getting less sleep than the next guy. You shouldn't be proud of almost driving yourself to a breakdown. You shouldn't be proud of constantly being yelled at/ yelling at juniors. The FITREP shouldn't be padded by beating the souls out of the people below you to accomplish some bullshit that doesn't really have to be done RIGHT NOW. When a SWO gets promoted to upper leadership from this environment, they perpetuate it just because its the way it has always been. The other ones get out.

You should be proud of finding ways to streamline poo poo so everyone can get their off time as necessary. If this isn't possible, poo poo is broken.

For real, the now now now culture and the fact no one will tell an 0-5 or above "No", or "That's a bad idea and here's why" are enormous problems.

Or maybe people do tell them that but then they yell and stomp their feet like a child and still get there way.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

For real, the now now now culture and the fact no one will tell an 0-5 or above "No", or "That's a bad idea and here's why" are enormous problems.

Or maybe people do tell them that but then they yell and stomp their feet like a child and still get there way.

Or literally say "a JO never says no to a commander"

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Applewhite posted:

It was me I started that. I was a young and inexperienced 1st Lt. I was just trying to motivate my sailors.

I'm just gonna keep on referring to BMs as bowel movements and it makes all these posts funner.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the navy runs on bms

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Lack of sleep excessive caffeine to the point of it being abusive isn't healthy.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ded posted:

the navy runs on bms

The Navy literally is bms

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Pretty much describes my time as a SWO perfectly. Don't forget to throw in some female JO crying (literally) to CSO about being on her ~period~ and standing the mid AND the rev, and then rolling into an UNREP aaaand by the way CSO put you on the watchbill for that, too.

PneumonicBook posted:

Or maybe people do tell them that but then they yell and stomp their feet like a child and still get their way.

This actually happens A LOT at the O6/flag levels. Really, seriously. *Everything* at that point is just a loving exception to policy with the right signature on it.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Suddenly, 8 9ARB CTI2s I know are getting surface orders. CC emails me to say it's time to get another look. I can only imagine we're sweeping p-ways out there. One guy is a shipboard career counselor (???) we don't know anything about the navy someone help us, I've heard SWOs are like animals and the ships are made out of BMs

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

Suddenly, 8 9ARB CTI2s I know are getting surface orders. CC emails me to say it's time to get another look. I can only imagine we're sweeping p-ways out there. One guy is a shipboard career counselor (???) we don't know anything about the navy someone help us, I've heard SWOs are like animals and the ships are made out of BMs

Wouldn't you be pulling DIRSUP in SSES?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

Wouldn't you be pulling DIRSUP in SSES?

Yeah, except two of them who aren't searchable online at work anymore at all. They're the ones that are seemingly going to be working out-of-rate, not sure how that worked, I just heard the initial whining today on facebook because a few of them were trying to homestead.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

vulturesrow posted:

The Navy literally is bms

blowing sans, it's not just for inport anymore.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Wait so there's a part of the Navy that runs on actual work, not volunteer hours and classes from University of Phoenix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

Wait so there's a part of the Navy that runs on actual work, not volunteer hours and classes from University of Phoenix?

Nope.

• Locked thread