Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

KozmoNaut posted:

People who rip CDs and/or DVDs?

What year is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

veedubfreak posted:

Laptops I let Dell deal with. If anything breaks on the desktops, 99% of the time it's just a hard drive that bricked, and if you are donating blood by changing out a hard drive, you need a new profession.

To remove the hard drive on a Dell Inspiron N4010, you have to first remove no less than forty screws, the keyboard/bezel, and the logic board. I got to that last step and decided to just drill through the top of the board instead.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

People who rip CDs and/or DVDs for backup purposes?

I've ripped all of the CDs I own to FLAC, for backups and convenience. I prefer to buy music on physical media, and rip them myself.

Who buys CDs or DVDs in tyool 2015?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Someone apparently because 140 million audio CD's were sold last year. Which is a decline from 2013, but still a ridiculous amount of round plastic things.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geirskogul posted:

People who want to actually own lossless versions of albums, rather than streaming lossy versions?

Or maybe people who listen to music that isn't on streaming services and isn't available as downloads.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo it was a joke.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

People who want to actually own lossless versions of albums, rather than streaming lossy versions?

Or maybe people who listen to music that isn't on streaming services and isn't available as downloads.

Now tell us about your speaker wires!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

KozmoNaut posted:

Hey calm down grandpa

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ACEofsnett posted:

I spent over a decade working for my dad, who owns a cutter grinding business. He is one of the last small shops in New England that resharpens and customizes metal cutting tools of all kinds, mostly carbide endmills for aviation and firearms work. He doesn't make standard, basic endmills anymore, as the profit margins are too small. A standard cheap carbide 1/2" four flute uncoated endmill with no radius is only about $20-30 from a big supplier. However, these companies use so many of them that they pay for resharpening of even the cheapest Chinese made tools, sometimes many, many times. What I'm saying is that they do not encourage the breaking of said tools.

As a sidenote, if anyone has any questions about cutter grinding, customizing and resharpening, I can probably answer them, even though I'm not in the industry anymore.

We don't even use regrinds anymore because we get good enough cutter life as it is and it seems like the regrinds have more problems with tool chatter than new ones

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Collateral Damage posted:

Also who puts an optical drive in their computer in tyool 2015?

In my HTPC to use it as a DVD player! Because Netflix's best selection is still on disc stupid rights management.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Liquid Communism posted:

If you haven't seen this, go read it : Things I Won't Work With.

It's intense.

Ah, yes, the source of my absolute favorite line, regarding chlorine trifluoride:
"It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Ah, yes, the source of my absolute favorite line, regarding chlorine trifluoride:
"It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively."

Anything you can burn water with is pretty legit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I'm partial to this delightful little snippet:

quote:

[...] today's paper goes a step further and makes an N-oxide out of a nitrogen on a nitrotetrazole ring. This both adds more oxygen and tends to make the crystal packing tighter, which raises the all-important kapow/gram ratio. (There is, of course, little reason to do this unless you feel that life is empty without sudden loud noises). The paper mentions that "Introducing N-oxides onto the tetrazole ring may . . . push the limits of well-explored tetrazole chemistry into a new, unexplored, dimension.", but (of more immediate importance) it may also push pieces of your lab equipment into unexplored parts of the far wall.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm partial to this delightful little snippet:

Post/avatar combo on point.

There's a new Things I Won't Work With in October of last year that I hadn't seen.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Giving blood to the computer gods is mostly in the poor, disheveled past for me. I still have an optical drive for ripping cds to FLAC, my audio stuff is good enough that lossy formats simply won't cut it. I use a standalone blu-ray player, though, can't be hosed to install lovely software that can't keep a steady frame rate on a rig that can play Shadow of Mordor at 4k resolution :colbert:. It's when I help other people with their junk that I get hosed up now.

Also, I'm pretty sure we had the dangerous chemical talk several times already, just saying.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EightBit posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure we had the dangerous chemical talk several times already, just saying.

My FOOF to FLAC repeatability/enjoyability ratio is about 100:1. Bring on the peroxides!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

joat mon posted:

My FOOF to FLAC repeatability/enjoyability ratio is about 100:1. Bring on the peroxides!

I seem to remember my dad talking about working with florurine ( i believe) that was a gas that when you breathe just a bit of it you die of your insides chemical burning as it reacts to the water in you.

My speakers and receiver have a thd of .00001 and I have special mats to minimize flooring vibrations they onky cost 10k youguys but thats a small price to pay for audio quality.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hey dude it's hot in here, turn on the air conditioning.

Oh. Never mind.

Old post but I had this happen once. The smell was interesting. I was broke and couldn't afford to overhaul my a/c so i just put on a shorter belt and bypassed the a/c.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

Now tell us about your speaker wires!

You're looking for this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333

(Actually, I don't know anything about my speaker wires, they're hidden inside active speakers)

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

To bring some failure into this budding audiophile derail I'll have to get a picture of the leaking filter caps in my 1977 Onkyo TX-4500. It's hi-fi, vintage audiosnobbery distilled. It's also my favorite receiver and I've had it since I was 13 and was bought new by my pops right before I was born.
Luckily the power transformer wasn''t damaged and I'm going to recap the whole thing this month. I had to spend about two hours going through capacitors on Digikey which caused my eyes to blur and a headache so there's a physiological failure here as well.

I'm not doing it quite right and still listen to them but with higher end audio stuff you can easily hear how lossy satelite radio or mp3s can be though that might be my no name speaker wires and RCA cables.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

Anything you can burn water with is pretty legit.

I always liked this way of putting it:

quote:

The compound also a stronger oxidizing agent than oxygen itself, which ... means that it can potentially go on to “burn” things that you would normally consider already burnt to hell and gone

Burn it in oxygen, put it out, pour some chlorine trifluoride on the ashes, burn it again!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A thorough recapping should be easy enough, it's just time-consuming. If you're using older speakers as well, it might be beneficial to recap the crossovers as well. Caps (electrolytics in particular) do wear out over time and change the characteristics of the circuit. The most noticeable effect is a more muted treble response, but it happens so gradually that you don't notice it. It's a bit like shock absorbers, actually.

But when you recap the boards and the treble is restored, it's like getting a new pair of speakers again. This is also why audiophiles think that "upgrading" crossover caps to audiophile-approved versions improves the sound. They're not upgrading anything, they're just putting the crossover back to original spec.

RE: MP3, music encoded with LAME at -V0 or 320kbps is virtually impossible to tell from the CD or lossless original. You need a quiet environment and ideally a good set of headphones, and you have to listen very carefully while comparing directly with the original. Even then, it'll still be transparent on a lot of music. Stuff with lots of treble content, cymbals etc. seems to be the "easiest" (still relatively hard).

Most people are perfectly happy with 128kbps in blind tests. Even at 128kbps, you'd have to compare directly to the original to notice a difference. With how good modern LAME versions have gotten, to simulate the bad old days of Xing-encoded Napster MP3s, you have to go all the way down to 32kbps and force the most simplistic psychoacoustic model. It'll sound like utter poo poo, and the Xing encoder is probably single-handedly responsible for people having bad knee-jerk responses to the slightest mention of MP3, even today.

More modern codecs such as AAC and Ogg Vorbis are even harder to distinguish. I have a couple of really hard to find albums that I was only able to find as 96kbps AAC rips, and I certainly don't feel like I'm missing anything. Maybe if I compared directly to the original, but then I would have the original and it would be a moot point.

Yes, I'm a bit of a :spergin: when it comes to this stuff, but I'm certainly no woo-woo audiophile.

There are some great threads in IYG where this sort of discussion isn't a derail:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389259
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 11, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

KozmoNaut posted:

A thorough recapping should be easy enough, it's just time-consuming. If you're using older speakers as well, it might be beneficial to recap the crossovers as well. Caps (electrolytics in particular) do wear out over time and change the characteristics of the circuit. The most noticeable effect is a more muted treble response, but it happens so gradually that you don't notice it. It's a bit like shock absorbers, actually.

But when you recap the boards and the treble is restored, it's like getting a new pair of speakers again. This is also why audiophiles think that "upgrading" crossover caps to audiophile-approved versions improves the sound. They're not upgrading anything, they're just putting the crossover back to original spec.

RE: MP3, music encoded with LAME at -V0 or 320kbps is virtually impossible to tell from the CD or lossless original. You need a quiet environment and ideally a good set of headphones, and you have to listen very carefully while comparing directly with the original. Even then, it'll still be transparent on a lot of music. Stuff with lots of treble content, cymbals etc. seems to be the "easiest" (still relatively hard).

Most people are perfectly happy with 128kbps in blind tests. Even at 128kbps, you'd have to compare directly to the original to notice a difference. With how good modern LAME versions have gotten, to simulate the bad old days of Xing-encoded Napster MP3s, you have to go all the way down to 32kbps and force the most simplistic psychoacoustic model. It'll sound like utter poo poo, and the Xing encoder is probably single-handedly responsible for people having bad knee-jerk responses to the slightest mention of MP3, even today.

More modern codecs such as AAC and Ogg Vorbis are even harder to distinguish. I have a couple of really hard to find albums that I was only able to find as 96kbps AAC rips, and I certainly don't feel like I'm missing anything. Maybe if I compared directly to the original, but then I would have the original and it would be a moot point.

Yes, I'm a bit of a :spergin: when it comes to this stuff, but I'm certainly no woo-woo audiophile.

There are some great threads in IYG where this sort of discussion isn't a derail:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389259
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333

The psychoacoustic models used by lossy codecs are still averaged across a large population; individuals are still prone to notice some distortion, as no one person fits the average. Lossy codecs usually have noticeable dynamic range compression, which will gently caress over your enjoyment of music once you know about it. Lossless formats are the only way to avoid these problems. This isn't $10,000 voodoo cable territory, you can pick this stuff up with ABX testing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EightBit posted:

Lossy codecs usually have noticeable dynamic range compression

No, they absolutely do not. This is an extremely common misconception that keeps getting fueled by misleading articles by audiophiles or others who are woefully unaware of their own ignorance, just like the whole "digital audio is stairsteps" idiocy that is still being bandied about. Both are 100% factually wrong.

Data compression and dynamic range compression are two completely different things. Dynamic range compression is applied at the mixing/mastering stage to "flatten" out the loudness profile of tracks, and is the primary reason why a lot of modern music sounds 'squashed', uniformly loud and lifeless. It has literally nothing to do with lossy compression.

The most obvious thing that MP3 does is to apply a low-pass filter to cut out the highest treble frequencies. This low-pass filter sits lower and lower in the frequency range as you go down in bitrate. At 320kbps, the filter is set at 21kHz, at 128kbps it's at 17.5kHz and at 64kbps it's at 11kHz. But there is absolutely no dynamic range compression added.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
Just to continue this somewhat OT Audio segue, 24/192 Music Downloads...and why they make no sense is worth a read thought it doesnt talk to the specific topic at hand.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EightBit posted:

The psychoacoustic models used by lossy codecs are still averaged across a large population; individuals are still prone to notice some distortion, as no one person fits the average. Lossy codecs usually have noticeable dynamic range compression, which will gently caress over your enjoyment of music once you know about it. Lossless formats are the only way to avoid these problems. This isn't $10,000 voodoo cable territory, you can pick this stuff up with ABX testing.

Times like these are when I'm glad my tinnitus is so bad I can't tell the difference between a CD and youtube.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I listen to music by throwing my iphone in a solo cup. That hi-fi enough for you? :colbert:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

xzzy posted:

I listen to music by throwing my iphone in a solo cup. That hi-fi enough for you? :colbert:

Only if you spray paint it gold and stencil "MONSTER" on the side.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

Use a dixie cup or gtfo.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Midjack posted:

Use a dixie cup or gtfo.

But that red solo cup
When it's filled up
At a party

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

th vwls hv scpd posted:

But that red solo cup
When it's filled up
At a party

:frogout:

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
I'm late for mill chat but still. I worked at my dad's company for a little while when I was just out of high school. They rebuilt stators and rotors for industrial electric motors.

Pretty big ones.

Thats the housing for the stator, to give a better sense of scale.
I was running an ancient milling machine there, almost exactly like this one:

I'm pretty sure it was even this brand. Anyway, the big nut that the heavy rear end table rode up and down on decided to strip out and fail on me while I was rapid traveling it up, thus dropping the table and everything on it like a rock from over waist height to the ground. The sound it made when it hit the metal base plate thing was a lot like the sound in a cartoon when they drop an anvil. That base plate saved my feet, and that was the closest to making GBS threads myself I've ever came.

edit: found the picture of the assembled stator, might as well link it.

bullets cure cops fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 11, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We have a few of those cincinattis and a couple of bridgeports that we make drag links with, you can actually do a ton with them if you're skilled, it's the repeatability aspect that suffers

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Yeah, the parts where tolerences were tight were more in the stacks of thinly cut steel, which was cut by a nice new laser, and the lathe turned shaft of course. I only did it for about a year but I kind of miss playing around with all the ancient mills and lathes. Definitely lots of potential for horrible mechanical failures though.

VVV christ :stare: VVV

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

My mom is a slut posted:

I was running an ancient milling machine there, almost exactly like this one:

I'm pretty sure it was even this brand. Anyway, the big nut that the heavy rear end table rode up and down on decided to strip out and fail on me while I was rapid traveling it up, thus dropping the table and everything on it like a rock from over waist height to the ground. The sound it made when it hit the metal base plate thing was a lot like the sound in a cartoon when they drop an anvil. That base plate saved my feet, and that was the closest to making GBS threads myself I've ever came.

edit: found the picture of the assembled stator, might as well link it.
I once wound down a mill's bed without seeing that there was a workstand under the end, lifted the base six inches off the floor at that end, and then it dropped. Bang.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
I never saw it go wrong, but the job that felt most likely to end in dismemberment was definitely sanding the completed rotor on the lathe.
not my picture:

Basically, looping a strip of sandpaper over one of these (some of them were a lot bigger in diameter and length than this), and running the sandpaper from one end to the other, while taking care to lean away from the lathe, and grip the paper as lightly as humanly possible so as not to get pulled into the potential meat grinder. I uh, wasn't really allowed to do this part.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My mom is a slut posted:

I never saw it go wrong, but the job that felt most likely to end in dismemberment was definitely sanding the completed rotor on the lathe.
not my picture:

Basically, looping a strip of sandpaper over one of these (some of them were a lot bigger in diameter and length than this), and running the sandpaper from one end to the other, while taking care to lean away from the lathe, and grip the paper as lightly as humanly possible so as not to get pulled into the potential meat grinder. I uh, wasn't really allowed to do this part.

I read this thread because often, idealistically, I wish I worked with mechanical things instead of IT / web design, etc.

.... then I see things like that. gently caress doing that :v: YAY HTML!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My mom is a slut posted:

not my picture:

That's fairly terrifying

I touched the end of it to clean some oil residue off... Oh well new part is cheap and easy to install. It runs without dumping oil so drive it until Friday when the part arrives. Damnit VAG :argh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
VAG dipstick tubes are made of the most fragile plastic known to man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

InitialDave posted:

VAG dipstick tubes are made of the most fragile plastic known to man.

I thought that was BMW radiator end tanks?