Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Knowing bible facts (aka OT genocides and ancient legal codes) =/= knowing about Christianity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Starving Autist posted:

No true Scotsman Christian again? I couldn't care less about the platonic ideal of Christianity that exists in your head, Christianity as it actually exists is pretty monstrous.

ok

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

DarkCrawler posted:

I'm just not of the mind that religion needs to be challenged everywhere. It doesn't in itself hurt anything. It's simply not relevant in the realities of law, science, morality, anything in the physical world, and as long as it can be kept apart from those, what is the harm? Most religious people I know seem to be able to do exactly that.

I missed this from earlier, I really hope you were just being cute here. If so, well played.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Miltank posted:

Knowing bible facts (aka OT genocides and ancient legal codes) =/= knowing about Christianity.

Its cool how all the bad stuff done by Christians, in the name of Christianity, doesn't count as Christianity, when you define the terms so that this is all a meaningless tautology.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Starving Autist posted:

Its cool how all the bad stuff done by Christians, in the name of Christianity, doesn't count as Christianity, when you define the terms so that this is all a meaningless tautology.

Yeah, we've gone over this. They argue its all down to 'correct interpretation' and Christians that do evil are just 'interpreting the Bible incorrectly'

No True Christian, etc.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Miltank posted:

These are the questions from the quiz that pertain to Christianity. (At least the more limIted public version that is 15 questions long, rather than the 32 question one that the stats are based on.)

quote:

Which Bible figure is most closely associated with leading the exodus from Egypt?

What was Mother Teresa’s religion?

Which of the following is NOT one of the Ten Commandments?

Which of the following best describes the Catholic teaching about the bread and wine used for Communion?

Which Bible figure is most closely associated with remaining obedient to God despite suffering?

What was the name of the person whose writings and actions inspired the Protestant Reformation?

Which one of these preachers participated in the period of religious activity known as the First Great Awakening?

As you can see, they've very general and basic questions about mainstream Christian knowledge. What do you expect, to recognize as a legitimate basis of criticism? Let me guess, always something one step more esoteric, always one level further than what's been presented, right?

I take it you have a survey that shows that atheists understand only Badger of Basra's monstrous strawman Christianity and not the real one. Link please?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, we've gone over this. They argue its all down to 'correct interpretation' and Christians that do evil are just 'interpreting the Bible incorrectly'

No True Christian, etc.

People take different things out a religion because they aren't robots and you only seem to focus on the bad ones.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
It's because you want to disapprove of it and look for reasons to do so.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Wait wait wait how could I miss this from the Pew poll, atheists and agnostics know more about the Bible and Christianity than Christians do :lol::lol:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

drilldo squirt posted:

It's because you want to disapprove of it and look for reasons to do so.

Disprove? How do you disprove faith?

No, more neutralize the idea of a 'Kind and loving omnipotent being'. But as I've said in this thread and Kyries thread: In reality, I don't give two shits what religion you hold dear as long as it stays out of schools and government. I just like debating about religion on a joke forum.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 11, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

vessbot posted:

Wait wait wait how could I miss this from the Pew poll, atheists and agnostics know more about the Bible and Christianity than Christians do :lol::lol:

Satan wrote the bible to trick people out of being Christian :downs:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

Disprove? How do you disprove faith?

No, more neutralize the idea of a 'Kind and loving omnipotent being'. But as I've said in this thread and Kyries thread: In reality, I don't give two shits what religion you hold dear as long as it stays out of schools and government. I just like debating about religion on a joke forum.

What aspects of God do you find impossible?

E: the Christian God as you understand him.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 11, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

What aspects of God do you find impossible?

His existence. Also, I find it improbable, not impossible. Impossible implies I can disprove god, I can't.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Miltank posted:

What aspects of God specifically do you find impossible?

For starters, that he is in some fundamental way the same as a branch of African ape that came about through evolution by natural selection 13 billion years after he created the universe. (A male one, specifically)

vessbot fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 11, 2015

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
drilldo said "disapprove" btw, did you not catch that? I was a little confused by your post.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I found Mr. Wiggles' long source post about communion to be incredibly off putting in a way that is almost revelatory to me, even though it is all stuff I already knew. It seems so out of touch and formalized. Anything of value that could conceivably come from this process is surely a diminution of the value that could come from stripping it away and approaching the sense of wonder and shared humanity it alludes to more directly.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Miltank posted:

and yet, religion ended slavery.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/William-Tecumseh-Sherman.jpg

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

SedanChair posted:

I found Mr. Wiggles' long source post about communion to be incredibly off putting in a way that is almost revelatory to me, even though it is all stuff I already knew. It seems so out of touch and formalized. Anything of value that could conceivably come from this process is surely a diminution of the value that could come from stripping it away and approaching the sense of wonder and shared humanity it alludes to more directly.

Which is why for most Protestant groups it's purely a ceremonial act.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

One religious motherfucker.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

CommieGIR posted:

One religious motherfucker.

This guy was. Although he used to keep the god chat out of parliament a lot of the time because people found it tiresome and moralising.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Starving Autist posted:

I love hearing the whole "Stalin and Pol Pot are proof that atheism causes wars!" poo poo, but then when you talk about actual Christians doing bad things (be it the crusades, inquisition, or producing bullshit textbooks in Mississippi), it's all "no no, you can't say all Christians are bad because of the ones with the bad interpretation! Those Christians don't count!"

Pot, Kettle, etc.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

This guy was. Although he used to keep the god chat out of parliament a lot of the time because people found it tiresome and moralising.

I wonder why. Its like the one rear end in a top hat at work who wants to proselytize during business hours and won't leave you alone despite saying you are not interested.

Or worse, you are already Christian and he wants to convert you to his specific sect.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 11, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

At least kyrie's gimmick is funny.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

At least kyrie's gimmick is funny.

:shrug: Considering I think he honestly hoped to convert people to Catholicism, good for you?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I don't agree, but I don't see what's unfunny about the idea of a person trying to do that in DnD. We could replace you with a bot that scrapes r/atheism.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
The claim that Christianity ended slavery is especially hilarious when you consider that explicit approval of slavery is one of the few things the old & new testaments agree upon completely.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It is fine for you to believe such things

E: but I disagree.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

I don't agree, but I don't see what's unfunny about the idea of a person trying to do that in DnD. We could replace you with a bot that scrapes r/atheism.

Think of it like the assists stat. You may not have made a lot of baskets but how many shots did you set up?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Miltank posted:

It is fine for you to believe such things

E: but I disagree.

neat, any biblical quotes you'd like to back that up with?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Think of it like the assists stat. You may not have made a lot of baskets but how many shots did you set up?

Context dude. Anyone can put up big numbers against a lovely team, it's the good assists that matter on ESPN.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Starving Autist posted:

The claim that Christianity ended slavery is especially hilarious when you consider that explicit approval of slavery is one of the few things the old & new testaments agree upon completely.

Paul who was once called Saul, from Tarsus who chrsitians call the apostle posted:

The law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.
Yeah real approval right there of the practice. I think it really is that someone knows alot about the Christianity they constructed. Incidentally this was one of the verses used to justify the abolitionism that you deny was in any way influenced by Christianity.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah real approval right there of the practice. I think it really is that someone knows alot about the Christianity they constructed. Incidentally this was one of the verses used to justify the abolitionism that you deny was in any way influenced by Christianity.

Trading slaves is not equivalent to keeping them, a practice explicitly condoned elsewhere in the NT.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Starving Autist posted:

Trading slaves is not equivalent to keeping them, a practice explicitly condoned elsewhere in the NT.

But the abolitionist movement was borne out of a original movement to ban the trading of slaves.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
And nobody's 'trading' the slaves made such by the instructions in Deuteronomy 20

Deuteronomy 20:10-14, NIV posted:

10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. 11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. 12 If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. 13 When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. 14 As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies. 15 This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice to see where Attila got his playbook from.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zeal posted:

And nobody's 'trading' the slaves made such by the instructions in Deuteronomy 20

"Yeshua, aka Jesus, AKA the Christ, according to Matthew" posted:

38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Jesus being God kind of makes the whole idea of murdering your enemies a bad thing now. Now I know that didn't stop the Catholic church in the 1000s using that to justify the crusades.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

OwlFancier posted:

Nice to see where Attila got his playbook from.

Well those are only God's Own Rules for slaughtering the heathen far afield. For those in the promise land the terms of engagement are slightly stricter:

Deuteronomy 20:16-18 posted:

16 However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy[a] them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the Lord your God.

Whatever you do to them that walk or crawl in your conquered cities though, be mindful of the fruit trees.

Deuteronomy 20:19-20 posted:

19 When you lay siege to a city for a long time, fighting against it to capture it, do not destroy its trees by putting an ax to them, because you can eat their fruit. Do not cut them down. Are the trees people, that you should besiege them?[b] 20 However, you may cut down trees that you know are not fruit trees and use them to build siege works until the city at war with you falls.

---

Crowsbeak posted:

Jesus being God kind of makes the whole idea of murdering your enemies a bad thing now. Now I know that didn't stop the Catholic church in the 1000s using that to justify the crusades.

Yeah, nice of the fleshly embodiment of the supposedly all-powerful creator being that transcends time and space to change his mind on the subject of wholesale rapine and massacre a few centuries later. A little too late for the Amorites though.

e: Or for all those firstborn Egyptian peasants whose parents didn't get the high-sign to daub their doors on the appropriate night.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zeal posted:

Well those are only God's Own Rules for slaughtering the heathen far afield. For those in the promise land the terms of engagement are slightly stricter:

Whatever you do to them that walk or crawl in your conquered cities though, be mindful of the fruit trees.

---

Yeah, nice of the fleshly embodiment of the supposedly all-powerful creator being that transcends time and space to change his mind on the subject of wholesale rapine and massacre a few centuries later. A little too late for the Amorites though.

e: Or for all those firstborn Egyptian peasants whose parents didn't get the high-sign to daub their doors on the appropriate night.

Yep and he did and later as the Church Fathers realized all were accepted to Heaven. If God changed his mind its a good thing.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Crowsbeak posted:

I don't think its stopped any Christian denomination ever, except for the Amish (and Mennonites?) I guess.

Crowsbeak posted:

Yep and he did and later as the Church Fathers realized all were accepted to Heaven. If God changed his mind its a good thing.

So he is not all-powerful, all-knowing omniscient loving creator then? God being fallible would be a pretty big thing, I think, at least in the version of Christianity I was raised in.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I love hearing the whole "Stalin and Pol Pot are proof that atheism causes wars!" poo poo, but then when you talk about actual Christians doing bad things (be it the crusades, inquisition, or producing bullshit textbooks in Mississippi), it's all "no no, you can't say all Christians are bad because of the ones with the bad interpretation! Those Christians don't count!"

Pot, Kettle, etc.

They are probably pointing out how that kind of thing goes both ways, duder.

• Locked thread