Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zedd posted:

That's lower then the lowest bracket in my country, so for me that sounds pretty decent. :v:
I don't mind paying taxes at all though, it pays for (mostly) good stuff

Our taxes seem cheap, but they really only pay for drone strikes abroad and the ongoing privatization of our school and prison systems. Libraries are next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

Our taxes seem cheap, but they really only pay for drone strikes abroad and the ongoing privatization of our school and prison systems. Libraries are next.

Obligatory joke about Robocop having predicted how corporations would end up running everything :v:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Tracula posted:

Obligatory joke about Robocop the entire cyberpunk genre having predicted how corporations would end up running everything :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tracula posted:

Obligatory joke about Robocop having predicted how corporations would end up running everything :v:

Laugh all you like, it's the only way to hold back the tears.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh my sides and face. They hurt from laughter. Eat it jerks. Oh and the best part is that these goofuses are claiming that Harvard is totally wrong. Sure keep telling yourselves that one of the most prestigious colleges in the U.S. is somehow dumber than yous.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 11, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I like one of the replies

quote:

@femfreq @HarvardHumanist well i'm not a feminist i'm a huma- oh crap wait

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Also the nerds who hate Anita smell bad and have bad acne.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
They also rape women and eat children. Or vice versa I forget.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This in combination with Parks and Recreation taking a massive dump on the MRA thing has made it a glorious week. :swoon:

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Sometimes i think extracting gallons of unsocial baby-man tears is in itself a reward .

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Grats to her, i don't always agree with her but she did expose scummy folks. it sad people can't handle the simple idea of having woman enjoy games outside of facebook.

Oh and Brad Jones review Friday the 13th part 4, where he showed the Ebert review that inspire the snob character.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 12, 2015

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Cyron posted:

Oh and Brad Jones review Friday the 13th part 4, where he showed the Ebert review that inspire the snob character.

"Someone should create an Internet character based on that review"

Ha.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Loved Brad's review. The Ebert clips were great, ha ha.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Miss Wallace posted:

Loved Brad's review. The Ebert clips were great, ha ha.

After seeing Ebert's review, I now understand why John Carpenter took a potshot at him at the end of They Live.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ebert really didn't like slashers did he?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Ebert also didn't like Blue Velvet. I maintain that he seriously misunderstood that movie (he thought it was misogynistic - whereas I think it's a very interesting comment on gender roles.)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Holy poo poo. Just when I think MovieBob is the worst thing ever he somehow gets even shittier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYMAEBOR_4

The first six minutes of a twelve minute video are all dedicated to his awful skits and then he goes about making his point in the dumbest way possible. I like how he makes anyone who disagrees with his point the biggest dumbass strawman dudebro in every single video. I almost want to read his Super Mario Bro's 3 book just to see how much of a trainwreck it is.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Tracula posted:

An idiot.

I'm the guy who stares dead ahead while having a conversation with someone sat next to me.

There's a developmental psychology thingy I remember from way back before (stone) tablets.

A group of kids are sharing jokes, and one of them gets brave enough to try his own.

"Knock Knock"
"Whose there?"
"James"
James who?"
"James Bond!"
*laughter*

The kid doesn't understand how the joke works - but he understands the format. Meanwhile the other kids don't get it either, but they recognise the format, and know that the response is to laugh.

What I'm saying is Golden Axe.

And also an understanding of how things work.

And Moviebob's 'Antithinker' character is unintentionally spot on.

And. Seriously. What a loving idiot.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tracula posted:

Holy poo poo. Just when I think MovieBob is the worst thing ever he somehow gets even shittier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYMAEBOR_4

The first six minutes of a twelve minute video are all dedicated to his awful skits and then he goes about making his point in the dumbest way possible. I like how he makes anyone who disagrees with his point the biggest dumbass strawman dudebro in every single video. I almost want to read his Super Mario Bro's 3 book just to see how much of a trainwreck it is.

I never owned a console in my life, so i have played very little Nintendo games aside from first gen pokemon, so this hardcore fanboy stuff is really off putting. He also contradicts himself a lot.

"Super Mario Bros. was groundbreaking, because they didn't just remade a first game. Okay they kinda did in Japan. But overseas they didn't. Okay, that was technically a re-skin of an unrelated game."

Also, the 'Golden Age of Videogames' seems to be more about the business opportunities than denoting actual quality. The technical limitations means that a lot of these games were very basic and bare bone. Plus, weren't most of them pretty blatant copes of each other? The entire thing just seems to be a very rose tinted view through the nostalgia goggles, similar to people who complain that modern games are too easy because because they mistake pisspoor design for

In the end, the notion that games to day are somehow less imagination or diverse than they were 30 years ago is simply bullshit. Yes, the AAA market is stale, but thats because the amount of money that is involved. But the diversity of gaming devices and the abilities of the Internet means that big publishers aren't as central anymore. The simple variety of games now is so much wider than it has ever been before.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Tracula posted:

I stopped watching MovieBob years ago because he started having really dumb opinions on just about any topic he talked about. After sitting through three minutes of that I'm glad I jumped off when I did because wow that was terrible.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Bob's skits are like if Linkara's skits were unironic, and featured significantly worse production and acting.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Slate Action posted:

Bob's skits are like if Linkara's skits were unironic, and featured significantly worse production and acting.

Also if all of the character were played by one guy because the producer appears to have no real friends.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Slate Action posted:

if Linkara's skits were unironic,

:crossarms:

e:

PresidentBeard posted:

[Moviebob] appears to have no real friends.

:crossarms:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 12, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hey I'm not willing to assume. Maybe he hangs out with people who are just not pathetic enough to want to appear in his super embarrassing videos.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
e: nvm I get it now. :D

BobbyK fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 12, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

PresidentBeard posted:

Hey I'm not willing to assume. Maybe he hangs out with people who are just not pathetic enough to want to appear in his super embarrassing videos.

I mean, he seems to be popular with people I follow from the Channel Awesome crew, like Lindsay, and seems to be a decent guy in other contexts. I just wish he'd be a little more self-critical. Realize stuff like, for example, that his weird hang-ups about "dudebro jocks invading my games and ruining them! :argh:" is just a specific facet of the mindset that causes many gamers to react with extreme hostility to anyone they perceive as trying to invade and alter their culture like, say, a woman critiquing video games from a feminist perspective.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tracula posted:

Jesus Christ.

Most of what I know about Moviebob is that he makes boring but mostly okay-seeming movie reviews and seems like a sane person from what I see get retweeted on my twitter feed. But this is... somehow worse than the Irate Gamer.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
My problem with Moviebob is that he tries to position himself as a serious critic and intellectual voice of reason, but his embarrassing skits and blatant fanboyism makes it really hard to take him seriously.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Game overthinker is a truly embarrassing show. I really like Moviebob when he's doing 5-6 minute movie reviews or big picture episodes, and when he's doing short text articles to go along with them. However given an unlimited amount of time he makes truly cringe-worthy videos. I think Moviebob generally has his head on right when it comes to a lot of things and he's a good, thoughtful, and grounded critic, except when he's doing a 20 minute show with all the dumb skits: then he comes across as a twit.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I purposely avoided MovieBob in everything except his movie reviews and Big Picture.

I guess that's the sign to stop watching those even.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Echo Chamber posted:

I purposely avoided MovieBob in everything except his movie reviews and Big Picture.

Just don't watch Game Overthinker, his Escapist stuff is usually pretty good.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Omnicrom posted:

Game overthinker is a truly embarrassing show. I really like Moviebob when he's doing 5-6 minute movie reviews or big picture episodes, and when he's doing short text articles to go along with them. However given an unlimited amount of time he makes truly cringe-worthy videos. I think Moviebob generally has his head on right when it comes to a lot of things and he's a good, thoughtful, and grounded critic, except when he's doing a 20 minute show with all the dumb skits: then he comes across as a twit.

Yes, I actually agree, I like both his shows on the Escapist, but when it comes to video games, his own nostalgia and fanboyism seem to pretty much blind him.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Geez, I hope I never start an internet review show where I ramble about how videogames will never again reach the heights of the first three Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Geez, I hope I never start an internet review show where I ramble about how videogames will never again reach the heights of the first three Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games.

I hate it when I accidentally do that.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Echo Chamber posted:

Post/user combo

e: Keyboard get - content incoming.

I think someone in this thread or the old one nailed MovieBob pretty well a while back. His film reviews aren't too bad because at this point we're all pretty good at making them. We know how to pick at a film and how to present our findings, so even if you are as dumb as a bag of hammers you can still read a few issues of Empire and cobble together a reasonable facsimile. Game critique on the other hand is still pretty new, we're still figuring out how to read games and how to present said readings.

Someone sometime once told Moviebob what every art/literature/film/music student gets told when attempting their first critical reading: there's no wrong answer - so long as you can back up any claims you make. Thing is, Moviebob never moved much further past the 'demonstrate understanding' phase of that, so when he's presenting his arguments and evidence, it becomes staggeringly clear that the guy is a nitwit.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 12, 2015

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I stopped watching Moviebob when he started catering to the naruto fan base.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I think Moviebob does have a real blindspot when it comes to video games, and curiously I'm not sure how bad it is for other subjects. I remember that he gave a cautiously optimistic review of Transformers 4 for instance, and for most other nostalgic non-game properties he seems to display some level of nuance and self-awareness. It seems to only be video games where he comes across as somewhere between an ADnD Grognard and a petulant child.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Omnicrom posted:

It seems to only be video games where he comes across as somewhere between an ADnD Grognard and a petulant child.

Nah, it's other things too, his Amazing Spider-Man 2 review was conducted in full manbaby mode.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
As much I frequently agree with his movie opinions more than most "internet critics", I've been put off more and more by his, from lack of a better word, "nerd rage gatekeeping". Yes, some of it is necessary, like telling Gamergate to gently caress off. But I'm still get more annoyed at the nerd strawmen he drums up when he shows the same lack of self awareness.

I've even seen it hinted in things he did that I liked, but I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt more than he needs. Also, a lot of his jokes suck.

Also, he should never appear on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Moviebob is a self-hating nerd. He jumped on the entitlement bandwagon when it was a thing with Mass Effect 3's ending. From all his game videos, it seems like he was actually projecting.

• Locked thread