Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Nintendo Kid posted:

"Degenerate play" is the exact sense of "degenerate" used in the term "degenerate art" - it's play that's not what they like, just like it was art that is not what they liked.

Not at all. When talking about gameplay, the technical definition "lacking some usual or expected property or quality" would be the most appropriate. (e: Whereas in the case of art, the definition "having lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable; showing evidence of decline" would be the most appropriate.)

In any case, the problem isn't that Nazis used the term 'degenerate', it's that they burned books and gassed Jews.

Falsum fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I'm not sure what it means when I look at the number of replies, wonder "what are people fighting about now?", and still be surprised to see people quite literally accusing each other of being nazis over iddqd.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
IDDQD is inherently evil because if Hitler had it we'd all still be "heil"ing and goose stepping around town; our economy would be rendered null and void by IDKFA...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Adolf Hitler was bad.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Don't engage fishmech in semantics arguments. It's degenerate posting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

I think there are two separate, but related contexts where this term is used-

one of them usually involves strategy games, where the dominance of a certain strategy or tactic has the effect of making a large amount of the game meaningless, in a way that seems to have been clearly unintended. This is usually the result of designer oversight- the clearest example I can think of is ICS in certain games of Civilization. It's "obvious" that the designers didn't want players to poo poo out bad quality cities all over the map, but it's their fault that they failed to make a system that prevented this. In this case, the play is called "degenerate" because it has the effect of radically simplifying the game by eliminating the importance of many of its systems.

The other context is when players act in ways that are contrarty to the assumptions of the game. In MP, this can be bad- if you've ever played a board game where someone ends up loving poo poo up becuase they aren't trying to win anymore, you know this. In SP, this is just harmless fun- like trying to stuff your house full of forks in Skyrim, or whatever. At this point, the player isn't trying to win- like I said, that's fine, becuase a huge part of the appeal of sandbox games is to have fun like this.

The proper term for this is emergent gameplay, in no small part due to the fact it doesn't automatically look down on people not playing precisely as intended, Degenerate gameplay is usually used by people who inherently dislike any case of emergent gameplay.

Falsum posted:

Not at all. When talking about gameplay, the technical definition "lacking some usual or expected property or quality" would be the most appropriate.

Which is also what the Nazis were using when they used that term. The missing property was "Germanism". Like dude do they not teach history wherever you're from?

I mean I guess you already admitted you're French and don't have that firm a grasp of English, but the sense of the term "degenerate" in both cases is identical.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

IDDQD is inherently evil because if Hitler had it we'd all still be "heil"ing and goose stepping around town; our economy would be rendered null and void by IDKFA...
IDCLEV is even worse because you can just warp to the Nazi maps!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Alain Post posted:

Adolf Hitler was bad.

Thank God-America that B.J. killed him for everyone else. :patriot:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The proper term for this is emergent gameplay, in no small part due to the fact it doesn't automatically look down on people not playing precisely as intended, Degenerate gameplay is usually used by people who inherently dislike any case of emergent gameplay.

I think you're applying unintended conotations to the term.

In any case, there are certainly instances of degenerate play that are harmful- kingmaking and collusion is usually called a bad instance of degenerate play, for instance. And I don't think any strategy gamer thinks it's a good thing when a formerly complex game becomes radically simplified because of the dominance of a single strategy. "Emergent play" doesn't seem like a useful term for these instances.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Prey had a neat death mechanic where you had to shoot some arrows in spirit world at ghosts, then you got to revive.

More games should have that even if it is fundamentally the same as just reloading at a checkpoint with a pointless mini-game in between :v:

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

With one post, I've managed to completely destroy several classic game's core mechanics and become an uber Nazi that even Hitler would think is excessively Nazi. Fear me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

closeted republican posted:

With one post, I've managed to completely destroy several classic game's core mechanics and become an uber Nazi that even Hitler would think is excessively Nazi. Fear me.

Quake 2 isn't classic. It blows.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Nintendo Kid posted:

Which is also what the Nazis were using when they used that term. The missing property was "Germanism". Like dude do they not teach history wherever you're from?

From your link, not mine.

"Such art was banned on the grounds that it was un-German, Jewish or Communist in nature" Those are not technical qualities, those are ideological properties.

"While modern styles of art were prohibited, the Nazis promoted paintings and sculptures that were traditional in manner and that exalted the "blood and soil" values of racial purity, militarism, and obedience" Those, again, are ideologies.

It follows that 'Germanism' is a ideological property, not a technical property.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

I think you're applying unintended conotations to the term.

In any case, there are certainly instances of degenerate play that are harmful- kingmaking and collusion is usually called a bad instance of degenerate play, for instance. And I don't think any strategy gamer thinks it's a good thing when a formerly complex game becomes radically simplified because of the dominance of a single strategy. "Emergent play" doesn't seem like a useful term for these instances.

No, dude, the word is intended to have a negative connotation. This is the entire reason "emergent gameplay" became the accepted term to use.

Kingmaking and collusion should be natural results of any sort of multiplayer game where it's possible to hurt one opponent by temporarily helping another. It's a property that emerges from the rules as stated. If the developer intends the game to not be simplified, it's up to them to provide intentional penalties against such action.

Falsum posted:

From your link, not mine.

"Such art was banned on the grounds that it was un-German, Jewish or Communist in nature" Those are not technical qualities, those are ideological properties.

"While modern styles of art were prohibited, the Nazis promoted paintings and sculptures that were traditional in manner and that exalted the "blood and soil" values of racial purity, militarism, and obedience" Those, again, are ideologies.

It follows that 'Germanism' is a ideological property, not a technical property.

"People didn't play it exactly the way I wanted them to" is ALSO an ideological property, not a technical one dude. There is no technical value of "the way I wanted it played", it can only be ideological.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Alain Post posted:

The reason I mentioned save systems is that I think game developers make games too often without considering the effect the game's save system will have on it. Unlimited quicksave/quickload can be tremendously damaging to a game- I think Dishonored was the most recent game that I thought was badly comprimised by giving the player the ability to save whenever he wanted. The goon OP of Dishonored even said "don't use quicksave", because people were coming in, and saying that they weren't having fun quickloading every time someone saw them, instead of living with the mistake, and using the cool combat system to fight their way out of trouble.

I think it's more the case that, game design principles or not, sometimes I want to stop playing a game now and want to throw down a save without fear of some sort of in-game punishment for it.

One of the things I do like about Marathon is how saves are handled. You can't save anywhere; you can only save at certain locations, but you can use them as much as you like (so long as you can get back there). I make maps for Marathon, and one of the challenges in doing so is designing the map to restrict access to saves in certain locations. The liberating thing about this is that it functionally assumes that people will use the save points, since they are explicitly a part of the gameplay, so I can include instant death traps or monsters that can kill you in one or two attacks without feeling bad about it, since I can just plunk down a save point right before that encounter and not feel bad about players losing progress for it. If the player chooses to not use a save location, it's their own fault, not mine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

my bony fealty posted:

Prey had a neat death mechanic where you had to shoot some arrows in spirit world at ghosts, then you got to revive.

More games should have that even if it is fundamentally the same as just reloading at a checkpoint with a pointless mini-game in between :v:

That's pretty unique. I probably missed something by never playing Prey, I didn't even hear about it until way after it was released. I should check it out.

Bioshock had kinda the same situation where they had vita-chambers instead of dying/respawning, but in the end it didn't really make much of a difference. You still died and came back, its just the world state didn't reset; it kept going. Which was kinda nice so you didn't have to do the same thing over and over and over.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, dude, the word is intended to have a negative connotation. This is the entire reason "emergent gameplay" became the accepted term to use.

Kingmaking and collusion should be natural results of any sort of multiplayer game where it's possible to hurt one opponent by temporarily helping another. It's a property that emerges from the rules as stated. If the developer intends the game to not be simplified, it's up to them to provide intentional penalties against such action.

Well, yeah, that's kinda true- and any game designer knows that degenerate play is the result of poor game design, and not the fault of the players. If anything, this is about not blaming the player- players will always try to game the system, and good game designers will account for this.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Nintendo Kid posted:

"People didn't play it exactly the way I wanted them to"

"By degenerate, I mean play that departs from the original game structure to the point where it doesn't really resemble what "normal" play of the game system looks like- I don't mean it as a pejorative."

This is all absurd and besides the fact that degenerate is not a Nazi word.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Falsum posted:

"By degenerate, I mean play that departs from the original game structure to the point where it doesn't really resemble what "normal" play of the game system looks like- I don't mean it as a pejorative."

This is all absurd and besides the fact that degenerate is not a Nazi word.

The judgement of "normal" is entirely ideological. And again, no, degenerate is always a pejorative term. When you actually want to not sound negative, you do not use it.

Look maybe you aren't getting it but in English we make jokes about people doing things like the Nazis.

Alain Post posted:

Well, yeah, that's kinda true- and any game designer knows that degenerate play is the result of poor game design, and not the fault of the players. If anything, this is about not blaming the player- players will always try to game the system, and good game designers will account for this.

Emergent gameplay, dude. Degenerate play isn't a thing.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's pretty unique. I probably missed something by never playing Prey, I didn't even hear about it until way after it was released. I should check it out.

Bioshock had kinda the same situation where they had vita-chambers instead of dying/respawning, but in the end it didn't really make much of a difference. You still died and came back, its just the world state didn't reset; it kept going. Which was kinda nice so you didn't have to do the same thing over and over and over.

Prey had hella great ideas. It's a shame it took so long to come out, it was one of those projects meant to release in 98 or 99.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

I wonder if they have this problem in GWS or whatever with people putting ketchup on everything.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
bruptal doom is rly good + way more fun than vanilla lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Emergent gameplay, dude. Degenerate play isn't a thing.

It is. I'm sorry that you don't like the term, but it's a valid term.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Really though, Brutal Doom just completely ruins the core balance of the game. Like, there's literally no point to playing with it on because the default gameplay of Doom is already well-balanced enough that fun arises from that ruleset. Brutal Doom just kind of throws out that balance in favor of flashy gore effects you'd find on the cover of a death metal album made by literal 12 year olds and by adding modern features such as headshots, (hint: Doom is not balanced around being able to kill a hell knight in one SSG shot if you just aim right) it completely ignores the Doom style of gameplay in favor of turning it into a slog where all you do is point and click at monsters without thinking of the best way to deal with them.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stuntman posted:

Really though, Brutal Doom just completely ruins the core balance of the game. Like, there's literally no point to playing with it on because the default gameplay of Doom is already well-balanced enough that fun arises from that ruleset. Brutal Doom just kind of throws out that balance in favor of flashy gore effects you'd find on the cover of a death metal album made by literal 12 year olds and by adding modern features such as headshots, (hint: Doom is not balanced around being able to kill a hell knight in one SSG shot if you just aim right) it completely ignores the Doom style of gameplay in favor of turning it into a slog where all you do is point and click at monsters without thinking of the best way to deal with them.

This is true.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alain Post posted:

It is. I'm sorry that you don't like the term, but it's a valid term.

It's an obsolete term, that people discarded for a good reason.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Nintendo Kid, what they're calling "degenerate play" here is what most gamers would call "cheap". Like playing a certain character in Super Smash Bros and using a specific move over and over and over because its hard to counter; its not the intended form of gameplay and people feel that it disrupts the normal gameplay. I haven't heard that term before but if that's what they wanna use, whatever.

There's like a venn diagram between 'degenerate play' and 'emergent play', some things are both and some things are one or the other based on perception.

People playing a sandbox game and coming up with their own rules within the game, that the game itself doesn't really enforce, is emergent gameplay, and isn't degenerate play per se. Or it is, but there's a positive and negative connotation.

Anyways you guys just like listening to yourselves argue. Chill the gently caress out.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I have reached the enlightened Nirvana beyond IDDQD, goons. I use Buddha Mode.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Nintendo Kid, what they're calling "degenerate play" here is what most gamers would call "cheap". Like playing a certain character in Super Smash Bros and using a specific move over and over and over because its hard to counter; its not the intended form of gameplay and people feel that it disrupts the normal gameplay. I haven't heard that term before but if that's what they wanna use, whatever.

Dude, the people who make Smash Bros explicitly intend that. They don't care that ~competitive smash~ players don't like it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, I think something like ICS in Civ3/Civ5 might be a better example- the developers attempted to introduce penalties for city spam, but in those cases the penalties weren't enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mogomra posted:

I have reached the enlightened Nirvana beyond IDDQD, goons. I use Buddha Mode.

Maybe its :thejoke: but Half-Life has Buddha mode instead of god mode. Although realistically wouldn't Buddha mode be the normal way, where you die and you're reincarnated? :cheeky:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Dude, the people who make Smash Bros explicitly intend that. They don't care that ~competitive smash~ players don't like it.

But think about like wave dashing; that's actually not intended by the developers and was removed in the sequel, but the competitive smash players love that poo poo. It goes both ways.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I think they're separate, but somewhat related terms. Putting things like collusion under the umbrella of "emergent play" seems to do damage to the idea of emergent play.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
John Carmack hates black people.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you enjoy Brutal Doom, you should stop playing Doom.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Brutal Doom hate and discussion about the evil seductress that is cheat codes at the same time? I love it when this thread goes off it's rocker. :allears:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Alain Post posted:

Quake 2 isn't classic. It blows.

See this is a fight worth having. Quake 2 isn't the best game in the world but it's still fun :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Count me in for team "Quake 2 blows"

Nintendo Kid posted:

Alain Post posted:

I think they're separate, but somewhat related terms. Putting things like collusion under the umbrella of "emergent play" seems to do damage to the idea of emergent play.

Literally arguing semantics.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bbcisdabomb posted:

See this is a fight worth having. Quake 2 isn't the best game in the world but it's still fun :colbert:

The levels suck rear end compared to Quake and the rocket launcher blows. The railgun is cool I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

I think it's more the case that, game design principles or not, sometimes I want to stop playing a game now and want to throw down a save without fear of some sort of in-game punishment for it.

One of the things I do like about Marathon is how saves are handled. You can't save anywhere; you can only save at certain locations, but you can use them as much as you like (so long as you can get back there). I make maps for Marathon, and one of the challenges in doing so is designing the map to restrict access to saves in certain locations. The liberating thing about this is that it functionally assumes that people will use the save points, since they are explicitly a part of the gameplay, so I can include instant death traps or monsters that can kill you in one or two attacks without feeling bad about it, since I can just plunk down a save point right before that encounter and not feel bad about players losing progress for it. If the player chooses to not use a save location, it's their own fault, not mine.

I think that's a fair point, but the best way to get around that isn't to allow totally unrestricted quicksaving / loading, but to give the player a suspend save they can use to save their progress and quit at any time. Not to say that you're necessarily arguing this, but I do think the way saves are handled in Doom is straight-up a negative quality of the game; it puts too much faith in the player to make a satisfying experience (as someone else said earlier in the thread, having to play both player and game designer simultaneously is unpleasant, and you can't always expect players - especially frustrated ones - to make good choices regarding game design).

But since Doom levels are always totally reasonable to beat without using any mid-level saves (at least as far as IWADs and solid megawads like Back to Saturn X go), Doom at least has a more natural structure than something like Half-Life, where trying to figure out where the best places to save are is headache-inducing. I actually like how Serious Sam 3 handles this: it scores you for each level (it also uses checkpoints) and deducts points if you quicksave. Since score isn't really a big deal in that game at all, it's not that great of a penalty, but at least the game goes out of its way to communicate the player that they shouldn't savescum. What you talk about with Marathon sounds pretty good too.