Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Went and checked my sources, found a Cranial Insertion about it, which agrees with you, and which I thought I'd post for interest:

Further, Otherworldly Juorney and Cloudshift will bring it back just fine, even if you for some reason chose to put it to command zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mehall posted:

Further, Otherworldly Juorney and Cloudshift will bring it back just fine, even if you for some reason chose to put it to command zone.

Why you would is a mystery, since wouldn't bringing it back from the command zone count as "casting it from the command zone" thus jacking up the casting cost again?

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

theironjef posted:

Why you would is a mystery, since wouldn't bringing it back from the command zone count as "casting it from the command zone" thus jacking up the casting cost again?

No, because you wouldn't be casting it. It is just returned to the battlefield.

E: I don't know why you would want to send it to the command zone despite that.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Well there was that ludicrous corner case with O-Ring I was thinking about, but it only works because O-Ring is a permanent.

Besides that and Pyxis of Pandemonium, is there a list of ways to permanently kick a commander out of the game?

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

theironjef posted:

Well there was that ludicrous corner case with O-Ring I was thinking about, but it only works because O-Ring is a permanent.

Besides that and Pyxis of Pandemonium, is there a list of ways to permanently kick a commander out of the game?

There are probably some convoluted things you could do with Stifle and Memory Jar type effects.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

theironjef posted:

is there a list of ways to permanently kick a commander out of the game?
Only things that exile cards/permanents face down can permanently get rid of commanders. Every other method is temporary (sticks them in a library) or is covered under the catch-all that allows you to move commanders to the command zone instead of the graveyard/exile.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Anyone here play commander online? Would be cool to have other people than randoms to play against for a change.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I counted the tutors and counterspells in my horrible infinite Oona deck and only found 3 and 5 respectively.

Now I'm up to 7 and 15, and things are much more broken and wonderful. Goldfishing I hit a lethal combo backed by counters on t5 once in a while, and pretty reliably by t10 or so.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Mikujin posted:

Only things that exile cards/permanents face down can permanently get rid of commanders. Every other method is temporary (sticks them in a library) or is covered under the catch-all that allows you to move commanders to the command zone instead of the graveyard/exile.

What about my corner case with O-ring, Ugin, and a kill spell?

O-Ring targeting commander, player chooses to let the Commander sit in Exile because he has a Disenchant or something, is an idiot.

Ugin comes into play and uses his -2 to flip O-Ring. O-Ring doesn't leave play, so the effect doesn't trigger.

Player casts Pyroclasm, killing the 2/2 flipped O-Ring. It leaves play, but it doesn't know it's an O-Ring, so it doesn't do the Exile check.

Commanders heading to the Command Zone is a replacement effect, and can only occur when there's an effect to replace. So it doesn't get a second chance to leave Exile, and is now permanently stuck there.

Am I missing something somewhere in there? If anything, it'd probably be that flipping counts as leaving the battlefield, but I couldn't find that ruling.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I counted the tutors and counterspells in my horrible infinite Oona deck and only found 3 and 5 respectively.

Now I'm up to 7 and 15, and things are much more broken and wonderful. Goldfishing I hit a lethal combo backed by counters on t5 once in a while, and pretty reliably by t10 or so.

Decklist please, I need that in my life.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

theironjef posted:

What about my corner case with O-ring, Ugin, and a kill spell?

O-Ring targeting commander, player chooses to let the Commander sit in Exile because he has a Disenchant or something, is an idiot.

Ugin comes into play and uses his -2 to flip O-Ring. O-Ring doesn't leave play, so the effect doesn't trigger.

Player casts Pyroclasm, killing the 2/2 flipped O-Ring. It leaves play, but it doesn't know it's an O-Ring, so it doesn't do the Exile check.

Commanders heading to the Command Zone is a replacement effect, and can only occur when there's an effect to replace. So it doesn't get a second chance to leave Exile, and is now permanently stuck there.

Am I missing something somewhere in there? If anything, it'd probably be that flipping counts as leaving the battlefield, but I couldn't find that ruling.

You're missing that Ugin doesn't flip things.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

You're missing that Ugin doesn't flip things.

poo poo did I accidentally look at an old fake Ugin? My bad. But the question still exists, just replace Ugin's role with an Opalescence on the table and an Ixidron coming into play.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 10, 2015

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

theironjef posted:

poo poo did I accidentally look at an old fake Ugin? My bad. But the question still exists, just replace Ugin's role with an Opalescence on the table and an Ixidron coming into play.

That should work, but it'd be a lot easier to set up Wash Out + Memory Jar + Stifle.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

theironjef posted:

Ok, sure, if your opponent lets their commander get exiled by O-Ring because they can blow it up, and you specifically have ways to turn the O-Ring into a creature and then Ixidron un-morph it and they still choose not to blow up the O-Ring then congratulations their commander is gone forever.

So yes, in your magical christmasland yes, you can permanently exile a commander. In practicality, though, it's not going to happen. Tucking a commander is really the best you can hope for.

thetedster posted:

That should work, but it'd be a lot easier to set up Wash Out + Memory Jar + Stifle.
Actually, since you brought it up, any Wish effects will actually allow you get your commander back, since you can view all cards you own outside the game (which includes those exiled by jar). As per commander rules, if you can look at such a card and it is a commander you must reveal it and it returns to its owner's command zone.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 10, 2015

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Mikujin posted:

So yes, in your magical christmasland yes, you can permanently exile a commander. In practicality, though, it's not going to happen. Tucking a commander is really the best you can hope for.

Well yeah, no one was talking about practical applications. I meant literally ways to permanently kick out a commander, I didn't care if they were high-functioning.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

You could just Stifle the return trigger of the Oblivion Ring.

In practice, the only way I've ever seen a commander get exiled properly is with the help of Mindslaver...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

hoobajoo posted:

Decklist please, I need that in my life.

Sure, http://pastebin.com/JMmFGhKx
This hasn't been playtested (aside from goldfish) since I made a lot of changes, so it's still pretty rough. A couple notes:
* land base seems good
* transmute spells can all find demonic tutor lim-dums vault, so that's their main purpose. In the rare case where all I need is Karn's Touch or Pili-Pala, they can do that, too.
* Pili-Pala draws instant hate and there's no way to give it haste, so that's probably the most frail combo and is not worth attempting unless you have strong counters to back it
* oddly, "hardcast enter the infinite and then pass turn" is something I've done a couple times, and so Foil and Force of Will are partly there to be surefire counters in that case. So, Pact of Negation is probably good, too.

edit: I just playtested this against a Prossh deck that I'd been having trouble with and yes, this is now broken and terrible/wonderful.

Game 1: lose to a hasty prossh infinite combo turn on turn 5 after opponent had ludicrous acceleration. That said, I would have won off of Braingeyser the next turn.
Game 2: win to dream halls / enter the infinite t5
Game 3: stall game with 5 counters in a row, win on t7 off of dream halls / enter the infinite.

So it's "good", not what I'd call "fun" for my playgroup, but I'll keep tweaking this for 1v1 at my LGS.

edit2: on my walk home, I realized that taking Dark Ritual out of this deck was a mistake. It has mostly been in there for random acceleration which seemed lovely, but it serves a purpose, and here's why:
* In the case where I have resolved Dream Halls/Enter The Infinite without any meaningful combo pieces on board, I need a mana source to hardcast stuff like Mana Vault that can't be dreamed in.
* If I'm using Oona I need 1 black source per opponent.

In practice, I've won one or two multiplayer and two or thing single player matches with variants of this deck, and I've only used Oona once or twice, so it might be just as reasonable to play it as a Lazav or Syd deck and just treat Oona as another searchable card.

I would be interested to hear what people think the useless cards in this deck are. I'm not nuts abou Karn's Touch or Toymaker because they end up being dead cards most of the time; Pili-Pala is at worst a warm body, and an okay distraction/hate magnet if a bad combo piece.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 11, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mikujin posted:

Actually, since you brought it up, any Wish effects will actually allow you get your commander back, since you can view all cards you own outside the game (which includes those exiled by jar). As per commander rules, if you can look at such a card and it is a commander you must reveal it and it returns to its owner's command zone.

Exiled is still in the game; the exile zone is a zone just like the command zone or the graveyard. It just feels like it's removed from the game because so few cards interact with exile.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Mikujin posted:

An important caveat to this is that the effect must exile the card face down and players may not look at the cards. If you can look at a face down exiled card rule 903.13 forces you to look at it and return it to a player's command zone if it is their commander. Pyxis of pandemonium works, but praetor's grasp doesn't.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So Lapse of Certainty + Pyxis will nuke a commander forever despite everyone knowing full well where it is?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Archenteron posted:

So Lapse of Certainty + Pyxis will nuke a commander forever despite everyone knowing full well where it is?

That is correct.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

hoobajoo posted:

Exiled is still in the game; the exile zone is a zone just like the command zone or the graveyard. It just feels like it's removed from the game because so few cards interact with exile.
Yea, I forgot about that change from back in Magic 2010 with the rules overhaul. Oopsies.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just opened an Ugin and I'm trying to decide if he makes more sense in my Jund Prossh token madness deck or in my mono-white Nahiri swords/equipment deck.

Suggestions?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MMD3 posted:

I just opened an Ugin and I'm trying to decide if he makes more sense in my Jund Prossh token madness deck or in my mono-white Nahiri swords/equipment deck.

Suggestions?

Nahiri, since his sweeper ability will at least leave all your equipment unscathed (barring something like Godsend)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MMD3 posted:

Suggestions?

Ulamog. :getin:

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

C-Euro posted:

Nahiri, since his sweeper ability will at least leave all your equipment unscathed (barring something like Godsend)

Agreed. He will eat all of your tokens in Prossh.

I run him in my Sen Triplets deck, where much of the time my board presence is full of 6 drop colored permanents and artifacts. I managed to get him on the battlefield with starting loyalty 3 times in the last game I played and pretty much wiped out one of my opponents, though the other was playing Daretti so he didn't do as much work on that side of the battlefield.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
So I just built my first Commander deck with Melek at the helm. Seems like a pretty fun format but I only have one friend to run it against and he hasn't done much but tinker with the Teferi precon I got him. We did have a hilarious moment where my Eye of the Storm got ridiculous and everything devolved into chaos, so that was nice.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Kooriken posted:

So I just built my first Commander deck with Melek at the helm. Seems like a pretty fun format but I only have one friend to run it against and he hasn't done much but tinker with the Teferi precon I got him. We did have a hilarious moment where my Eye of the Storm got ridiculous and everything devolved into chaos, so that was nice.

I've had 2 Rituals, Pact of the Titan, Ponder, Preordain, and Thirst for Knowledge on Eye of the Storm (all of those spells had been cast in the same turn as the Eye) and cast Empty the Warrens for approximately infinite. My biggest regret was that I didn't find Mind's Desire. I passed the turn to my friend who cast Insurrection. :suicide:

The deck's sweet, but I'm 100% sure it's not built very well.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

A coworker was telling me about Tiny Leaders, so I proxied up a super generic white build. This is actually a really cool format. I managed to beat his geist deck (though neither of us had sideboards), and now am itching to build a deck that isn't just the white section of a cube. I'm a bit disappointed Survival of the Fittest is banned, but there are still lots of cool things floating around.
e: Something like this kinda sounds sweet.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 12, 2015

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Lhet posted:

A coworker was telling me about Tiny Leaders, so I proxied up a super generic white build. This is actually a really cool format. I managed to beat his geist deck (though neither of us had sideboards), and now am itching to build a deck that isn't just the white section of a cube. I'm a bit disappointed Survival of the Fittest is banned, but there are still lots of cool things floating around.
e: Something like this kinda sounds sweet.
Lands TLers is pretty nuts. I'm not sure I'm sold on having a not Azusa leader for it though.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've roughed out an athreos tiny leaders deck, any obvious improvements? I guess I ought to put in the infinite life gain combo??

http://deckbox.org/sets/879509

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone have experience with Relentless Rats in commander? It seems like it would be fun the first few times, but might get boring depending on the card choices. I assume Marrow-Gnawer is the commander of choice.

Edit: say that because I've played Krenko for a while, and I like it a lot but it ended up playing the same in a lot of games.

Also, how many Relentless Rats is the right number for a rats deck?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 13, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fiend Computer posted:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fiend Computer posted:

Anyone have experience with Relentless Rats in commander? It seems like it would be fun the first few times, but might get boring depending on the card choices. I assume Marrow-Gnawer is the commander of choice.

Edit: say that because I've played Krenko for a while, and I like it a lot but it ended up playing the same in a lot of games.

Here's my list for a Rats deck.

Mutavault and Urborg should be in the main now though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fiend Computer posted:

I played 35 Shadowborn Apostles. Rats may or may not be the same.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

Here's my list for a Rats deck.

Mutavault and Urborg should be in the main now though.

Out of curiosity, what advantages do cards like Dirty Wererat or Nezumi Ronin have over more ChitteringRelentless Rats?

(Personally I would probably cut a whole bunch of stuff for more chittering rats and a thrumming stone because that sounds hilarious)

vv Yeah I meant Relentless, not sure why I typed Chittering :downs: vv

Elyv fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 13, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Mostly variety. And yeah adding more Relentless Rats (Chittering Rats doesn't have the unrestricted clause) and throwing in a Thrumming Stone could be hilarious.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cernunnos posted:

Mostly variety. And yeah adding more Relentless Rats (Chittering Rats doesn't have the unrestricted clause) and throwing in a Thrumming Stone could be hilarious.

When I got it and Shadowborn Apostle in the same place, I eventually just gave up on all the ripples because I had twelve apostles on the board and like twenty ripple 4s still waiting to resolve.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Cernunnos posted:

My friend ran this deck. Thrumming Stone was quickly destroyed and he was killed in almost every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Elyv posted:

Out of curiosity, what advantages do cards like Dirty Wererat or Nezumi Ronin have over more ChitteringRelentless Rats?

(Personally I would probably cut a whole bunch of stuff for more chittering rats and a thrumming stone because that sounds hilarious)

Yeah, that was a build I was thinking of going for, but looking at all the rats on gatherer, as well as the list Cernunnos posted, makes me feel like have a discard build could be really powerful. A lot of the various rats have discard affects during attack, so I feel like that would be an interesting way of going at it. Marrow-Gnawer also gives a good synergy, making the rats harder to block.

I'll have make a list once I get some time.