Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
We'll be here when you hit your mid 30's and suddenly realize those aches and pains aren't going away anymore, and being able to afford health insurance would be great. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love cooking, but doing it for a living in the US just isn't a long term strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I adore cooking, and I worked in the industry for a quite long time in everything from super-high end fine dining to diners/pubs, and it is absolutely not a smart long term plan in any way. If you want to stay in the industry, do something else (Turkeybone, for example, appears to have done wonderfully for himself.)

Then just make tacos for your loved ones whenever you feel like it.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Eh, I was out of school for 10 years, and I got a 50% bump right out of the gate. Also a life and stuff.

Like, I was so happy when I got a $50 bonus for my Christmas paycheck in the restaurant world. I got ten times that in just Christmas gifts from co-workers. And while I went to a good school and all that, my cred comes from being able to navigate their database and use Excel. Any coding I do is just to stave off my own boredom -- this is not beyond the grasp of anyone, really.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 10, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Sooo, table orders an Italian Combo sub.

I put on the ticket "MAYO ON BOTH SIDES OF BREAD"... That's pretty drat self explanatory I think.

Well HC reads it as a side of mayo. As soon as it comes out I know it's wrong. I tell him this.

HC gets all pissed cause it's dinner rush. Takes the sandwich out of the window and basically finger fucks the mayo on the sandwich.

Take it to customer. "The gently caress is that? Uhh no."

And I get blamed for this. Lol this industry.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Eh, I was out of school for 10 years, and I got a 50% bump right out of the gate. Also a life and stuff.

Like, I was so happy when I got a $50 bonus for my Christmas paycheck in the restaurant world. I got ten times that in just Christmas gifts from co-workers. And while I went to a good school and all that, my cred comes from being able to navigate their database and use Excel. Any coding I do is just to stave off my own boredom -- this is not beyond the grasp of anyone, really.

I made about $15 an hour when I finished cooking in super fancy tasting menu places, and now I make about $200/hr as a freelance dev (working about 40 hours a week with steady work). I also get 12 weeks off a year now.

The restaurant industry is legit hosed and you're completely insane if you don't do everything you can to get out of it.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The restaurant industry is legit hosed and you're completely insane if you don't do everything you can to get out of it.

Yuuuup. But in good news, I'm getting interviewed in about an hour for local publications and poo poo by the dude who's basically the only food guy in the city anyone reads, so there's that, right?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Hey NYC-based cooks/sous chef types, how much can one reasonably expect to get paid at a great restaurant in the city? My husband is applying to work at an internet startup in Greenpoint, so there's a possibility that we'll be out there full-time soon. I grew up in NYC, but since I left for college I've never lived there again so I have no idea what the job market is like. Do wages match the insane apartment rental rates, at least?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
:unsmigghh:

You're in for...a treat.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hey NYC-based cooks/sous chef types, how much can one reasonably expect to get paid at a great restaurant in the city? My husband is applying to work at an internet startup in Greenpoint, so there's a possibility that we'll be out there full-time soon. I grew up in NYC, but since I left for college I've never lived there again so I have no idea what the job market is like. Do wages match the insane apartment rental rates, at least?

I've heard $20 an hour or so if you're lucky. It's pretty dire.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I've heard $20 an hour or so if you're lucky. It's pretty dire.

You're only getting $20 at a hotel. The high end for non union is really $14/15. Salary for a sous is all over the place, if you're decent 40-50k isn't hard to find. If you go corporate the sky's the limit though. If you're just cooking at some no name joint, or working garde manger for one of the big guys you'll be lucky to get $12.

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...
I'm flying in to NYC to trail and pound some pavement at the end of the month. Bought the airplane tickets today, making hotel accommodations tomorrow. I've got 1 day completely free. Where should I eat/drink?

Ssam
Luksus
Contra
Cosme

Girl likes desserts so I'm guessing Milk Bar and Dominique Ansel? Anyother suggestions? Also pizza? Donuts?

Trail is at Le Bernardin. I want to know where to drop resumes off for butchering though.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

slimskinny posted:

Also pizza?
You got famous Rays
The Original Rays
The Original Famous Rays
Ray's Pizza
This is not Original Ray's
The Original This is not Original Ray's
Not So Famous Original Ray's
and the real Original Rays.

No I won't tell you where it is.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A Man and his dog posted:

Sooo, table orders an Italian Combo sub.

I put on the ticket "MAYO ON BOTH SIDES OF BREAD"... That's pretty drat self explanatory I think.

Well HC reads it as a side of mayo. As soon as it comes out I know it's wrong. I tell him this.

HC gets all pissed cause it's dinner rush. Takes the sandwich out of the window and basically finger fucks the mayo on the sandwich.

Take it to customer. "The gently caress is that? Uhh no."

And I get blamed for this. Lol this industry.

You shouldn't set some hosed up dish in front of a guest. At that moment you go to a manager to let them know that your dish got hosed by a dumbass and that you are about to have an incident. If you're not at a place where you are able to hit up a manager in a situation like that it is imperative that you stop giving any fucks and also start shopping your resume around.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

slimskinny posted:

Girl likes desserts so I'm guessing Milk Bar and Dominique Ansel? Anyother suggestions? Also pizza? Donuts?

Just go into any shop that looks good and is full of cops, ems workers, firemen, and other emetgency services at lunch time. The chances of you going into any pizza place in the city and it being a drat good if not the best hot slice you ever ate is pretty high. Dont ask questions in the shop, just get a hot slice and soda. Love it? Get more. Dont? Pitty.

Cant help you on doughnuts, but the cops fire ems guide also applies to bagel shops. Unnnfff, I miss bagels.

Edit: oh poo poo this is the industry thread. When people talk about pizza I forget where I am. Have I mentioned I love and appreciate everyone in the food service industry?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 11, 2015

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Just go into any shop that looks good and is full of cops, ems workers, firemen, and other emetgency services at lunch time. The chances of you going into any pizza place in the city and it being a drat good if not the best hot slice you ever ate is pretty high. Dont ask questions in the shop, just get a hot slice and soda. Love it? Get more. Dont? Pitty.
Joe's on Carmine street and (especially) Patsy's in East Harlem are several cuts above almost everywhere else I've had a slice. Of the two, Joe's is more indicative of the style of the standard NYC slice.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

slimskinny posted:

I'm flying in to NYC to trail and pound some pavement at the end of the month. Bought the airplane tickets today, making hotel accommodations tomorrow. I've got 1 day completely free. Where should I eat/drink?

Ssam
Luksus
Contra
Cosme

Trail is at Le Bernardin. I want to know where to drop resumes off for butchering though.

Where are you staying? Not to be a douche (well, maybe) but there's a whole new round(s) of awesome places beyond the david chang empire. You should also check out Korin while you're here. Doughnut plant is where it's at.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Just had our busiest week ever so of course the health inspector comes in two days later. Not that we were in any trouble of failing an inspection, but drat man give me a chance to relax will you?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Crazy Larry posted:

Just had our busiest week ever so of course the health inspector comes in two days later. Not that we were in any trouble of failing an inspection, but drat man give me a chance to relax will you?

Or you could keep the place up well enough to pass health inspections when you're busy.

I know it's a bitchload of effort that doesn't directly return income, but at the same time it's also a pretty revoltingly low minimum standard in a lot of places.

That said I know how it goes. :)

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Psychobabble posted:

You're only getting $20 at a hotel. The high end for non union is really $14/15. Salary for a sous is all over the place, if you're decent 40-50k isn't hard to find. If you go corporate the sky's the limit though. If you're just cooking at some no name joint, or working garde manger for one of the big guys you'll be lucky to get $12.

Aiya. Well, I hope my dude gets a good salary, at least. Canarsie, here we come!

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Or you could keep the place up well enough to pass health inspections when you're busy.

This was implied in what I said.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Anyone want to be the little man in the taco boat?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4880312045.html

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i know when i think of good investments i definitely think of combining all the nightmares of boat ownership with the infinite fuckery of running a restaurant

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I lived in Seattle for years and never had a decent taco there.

Is the taco scene better now?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Pile of Kittens posted:

Anyone want to be the little man in the taco boat?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4880312045.html

Your best bet is to solicit a hidden camera prank TV show and suggest they use it for a skit. Have some lunatic try to sell people fish tacos out of a tiny rear end boat in Puget Sound and capture their reactions.

Seriously, though, I'm sure it could be a fun and profitable little thing for special waterfront events but could that really work as a day to day stand-alone business?

Republicans fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 12, 2015

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

i know when i think of good investments i definitely think of combining all the nightmares of boat ownership with the infinite fuckery of running a restaurant

This, stamping on a human face, forever.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
gently caress we got a new owner.

I loving hate ownership changes. I've worked here 8 years. Been through 3 different owners now.

Welp. See how it goes.

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...

Turkeybone posted:

Where are you staying? Not to be a douche (well, maybe) but there's a whole new round(s) of awesome places beyond the david chang empire. You should also check out Korin while you're here. Doughnut plant is where it's at.

Hoping for midtown hilton. Her mom works for them so we just don't know which for the discount. I want to go to PDT and Death&Co. One of the dudes I work with worked at Luksus and Noodle Bar so he's hooking me up at those places.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well, here we go. The only thought that's getting me through the next 2 days is that we're closed on Sunday and Monday. As an aside, gently caress whoever it was who decided valentines day would be the perfect time to rent the place out for a shower right before we open for dinner.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Well, here we go. The only thought that's getting me through the next 2 days is that we're closed on Sunday and Monday. As an aside, gently caress whoever it was who decided valentines day would be the perfect time to rent the place out for a shower right before we open for dinner.

Ironically, they're probably getting a fat bonus/bribe/cut.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

slimskinny posted:

Hoping for midtown hilton. Her mom works for them so we just don't know which for the discount. I want to go to PDT and Death&Co. One of the dudes I work with worked at Luksus and Noodle Bar so he's hooking me up at those places.

PDT take reservations day of. D&C doesn't, but go at 5pm, or put your name on the door and go to Amor for two drinks.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Hauki posted:

Ironically, they're probably getting a fat bonus/bribe/cut.

Oh, I meant gently caress the lady hosting it. Seriously, what a terrible day for a shower. There's no way the owner's going to say no to a private party even if it is on vday.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Our sold out valentines dinner just got cancelled for this weekend's blizzard. This winter has absolutely destroyed us, closed the last 4 mondays, 2 of the last 4 tuesdays. I have no sick or vacation days left to take and have a forced month off in August. Guess I'll be going on unemployment for the month.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Shabadu posted:

Our sold out valentines dinner just got cancelled for this weekend's blizzard. This winter has absolutely destroyed us, closed the last 4 mondays, 2 of the last 4 tuesdays. I have no sick or vacation days left to take and have a forced month off in August. Guess I'll be going on unemployment for the month.

Wow, they make you guys take vacation & sick days when the place is closed due to adverse weather? What a bunch of fuckers.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Well I took them because I want to get paid. I didn't have to but I kinda want to pay the rent and drink beer.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
hey so what the gently caress do they teach you in culinary school? This is a serious question. I have exactly zero minutes of formal culinary education and the more I cook the more I realize nobody in my family can cook except maybe my maternal grandma so I didn't learn poo poo from poo poo at home, but the things I see from culinary grads who have years of work experience on top of that is breathtaking. One guy on the line last night took a midrare steak off to rest... onto another part of the grill. Then walks away, comes back with a thermometer and temps it... 162... 165... 168.... "Ooooh yeah... beauty beauty beauty... :2bong:" Served. It was either watch it go out, or wrestle the guy and then tell the servers the steak would be 30 minutes total in coming.

Tonight we got a burger order, medium, and cut in half because customers are swine. Or paranoid about done-ness, whatever. This other dude crushes it flat and makes a deliciously carmalized smashed slider, but a decidedly lovely burger mid. I had to explain to a grown rear end man how to cook a flattop burger medium, and he'll be graduating LCB in May.

I went to film school, and people give me poo poo over it, but godDAMMIT I learned how to write, plan, frame, light, shoot, cut, promote and deliver some loving films in that time. what do you do for all those years of culinary school if not learn how to cook?!

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 14, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Willie Tomg posted:

hey so what the gently caress do they teach you in culinary school? This is a serious question. I have exactly zero minutes of formal culinary education and the more I cook the more I realize nobody in my family can cook except maybe my maternal grandma so I didn't learn poo poo from poo poo at home, but the things I see from culinary grads who have years of work experience on top of that is breathtaking. One guy on the line last night took a midrare steak off to rest... onto another part of the grill. Then walks away, comes back with a thermometer and temps it... 162... 165... 168.... "Ooooh yeah... beauty beauty beauty... :2bong:" Served. It was either watch it go out, or wrestle the guy and then tell the servers the steak would be 30 minutes total in coming.

Tonight we got a burger order, medium, and cut in half because customers are swine. Or paranoid about done-ness, whatever. This other dude crushes it flat and makes a deliciously carmalized smashed slider, but a decidedly lovely burger mid. I had to explain to a grown rear end man how to cook a flattop burger medium, and he'll be graduating LCB in May.

I went to film school, and people give me poo poo over it, but godDAMMIT I learned how to write, plan, frame, light, shoot, cut, promote and deliver some loving films in that time. what do you do for all those years of culinary school if not learn how to cook?!

Hey I'm sure you're right about the cooking but I work in film and didn't go to film school and we say the same thing about you guys just fyi. Specialty schools are worthless compared to work experience. And no I don't know why I lurk in this thread, it's just really interesting. I'm rooting for you underpaid misfits.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Word :respek:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Willie Tomg posted:

How to be in debt, how to turn a potato into a 7 sided football and how to make sauces.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy
Totally non-sequitur, but I had a chef compare FOH staff at his restaurant tomorrow night to chickens with their heads cut off. What sold it was the delivery.

"They are like what we do with chickens in Mexico."
(Chef mimics holding a chicken by its feet and twirling it in the air over his head)
"We cut off the chicken's head."
(Chef does karate chop in the air)
"And the chicken runs around getting blood everywhere."
(chef mimics chicken with its head cut off running around)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I went to culinary school for 1 year and it was a very expensive way to smoke weed with other young people! I also did learn the football potato and stocks, and got to watch another unfortunate young man slice off an enormous chunk of his hand chopping peppers.

In 130 more shifts or so I will depart for real school and it feels great! It adds a very carefree nature to what was once a very stressful job! Last night I was getting screamed at over scallops or something and instead of feeling worried or miserable I was debating the merits of my favourite digimon in my mind the whole time. It's Tentomon, for the record!

The meat thermometer guy in that story rules, btw.

• Locked thread