Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm going to get the 50mm Nikon f/1.8 lens for my d3200 but there's one thing i'm not clear about.

There's two similarly priced versions: one with DX in the name, and one without. Product descriptions for the non-DX one say it will work with DX cameras - but is there any downside to getting this lens instead of the DX specific one?

edit: turns out i got this totally wrong and the 35mm is DX and the 50mm doesn't have 'DX' in the product name sorry everybody.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Two things to keep in mind regarding a 50/1.8 lens for D3200. First, make sure you get the AF-S 50mm f/1.8G, and not the AF f/1.8D, the difference is that the AF-S can autofocus on your camera and the AF-D cannot.
Second, keep in mind that 50mm is somewhat long on crop sensors, in typical indoors situations it'll only be useful for head-and-shoulders type portraits.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I've had the 35mm f1.8 Nikon prime for quite a while and it's pretty great, can't recommend it enough. With the crop factor that ends up being around 50mm.

Anyone else with wide zoom recommendations?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also you should give a serious thought to grabbing the 35/1.8 DX instead of the 50.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah I've read and watched loads of comparison reviews and opinions on 35vs50 and I'm still not 100% decided.

I've got this camera primarily to take photos of our new(ish) baby so I'm thinking that the 50mm is most suited for that with the 18-55 kit lens being there for wider angle stuff.

I'll probably end up owning both eventually.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

With the 50 you can take pictures of your baby. With the 35 you can take pictures of your baby, as well as of your partner with the child.

50mm on crop definitely has its uses, but 35mm is so much more useful in general.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I shoot our little human with a 50 on FX (so about as wide as 35 on your camera) and I often wish it were a bit larger.

Just tape your zoom at 50 then 35 for a couple days and you'll see what you like (it'll be 35 I bet).

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Soon your baby will figure out how to use its legs. Then you'll be wondering why you didn't get a 14mm.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I bought the 50 and ended up returning it for the 35 because 50 was too wide for indoors most of the time.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

evil_bunnY posted:

Just tape your zoom at 50 then 35 for a couple days and you'll see what you like (it'll be 35 I bet).

Hmm this is a good idea. One of the big reasons for getting the 50 was to get those nice blurry backgrounds but I can see the advantage and flexibility of the wider lens could be good.

Yes I know, I'm a photographic pleb.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Keep the kit lens and spend the money on a spa day for the missus. If not, go for the 35.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I have a D3200 with the 35mm f/1.8 and the 50mm f/1.4 and I use the 50mm, far, far more.

But, I'm taking pictures of my parrots, not a baby. That said I still use it for pictures of my friends at parties quite a lot too--but I'm doing head-and-shoulders shots, not full body most of the time.

If you want "whole person" shots the 35mm will do a better job of it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I use the 35 more on crop than everything else combined.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Xabi posted:

Keep the kit lens and spend the money on a spa day for the missus. If not, go for the 35.

Nice idea but it's a bit early for her to be away from the baby all day - and to be honest she's as keen as i am on getting some good 'keeper' photos of the baby as she grows up - even with the kits lens the photos are miles better than anything we got from the bridge camera i was using before.

And thanks everyone you've given me a lot to think about. Still erring on the side of the 50mm tbh but i'm going to give it some more thought.

And like I said, whichever one I get, i'll no doubt get the other one too eventually.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
35mm 1.8; cuz you can't uncrop the 50mm. You can however crop to 50mm fov without issue when shooting 35mm. You will get more keepers with the 35. Won't have to step back 10 feet to get 4 people in frame and can tighten your crop in post. Work smarter not harder.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Joke reply: adapt a 24mm Elmarit to fmount.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If Nikon doesn't announce their next top-end crop-sensor before/during CP+, I'm just going to buy a D7100.

Does anyone feel strongly about official retail vs. gray market? I have a bunch of great lenses already so I'd just be buying body-only.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Warranties might not apply for gray market products.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

1st AD posted:

Warranties might not apply for gray market products.
Well, I assume I wouldn't have a warranty.

I suppose it sort of doesn't matter, it would just be a holdover until the next high-end Nikon crop-frame comes out (assuming that happens) and then it would be my backup body.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think I'm going to get the 35mm lens.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Kenshin posted:

I suppose it sort of doesn't matter, it would just be a holdover until the next high-end Nikon crop-frame comes out (assuming that happens) and then it would be my backup body.

Or you could get a used D800 now and have a great crop camera that can also be a high MP full frame.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Does anyone feel strongly about official retail vs. gray market? I have a bunch of great lenses already so I'd just be buying body-only.
Nikon is more of a pain in the rear end for gray market stuff than most brands. From their website:

quote:

Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Gray Market items. Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items. Please do not contact Nikon Inc. USA for help with any Gray Market products. Please contact the reseller or importer of your Gray Market items for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads.
If I'm not mistaken, Nikon stopped selling parts to third party service centers in the U.S. a while back, so getting your product serviced could require sending it to an international service center.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Good to know. I'll just order the official retail D7100 from Amazon then if Nikon doesn't announce what I want this week.

(likewise for Sigma and their 150-600mm Contemporary, if they don't announce or the lens won't be available "soon" I'll just get the Tamron and switch to the Sigma at a later date if it's better)

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Pissflaps posted:

I think I'm going to get the 35mm lens.
:getin:

Also, congrats on the kid!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Nikon made a thing for a specific subset of people that will make those people really loving happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9gJFc8Qi8k

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Nikon made a thing for a specific subset of people that will make those people really loving happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9gJFc8Qi8k

Way to go Nikon. That's some pretty stellar photography.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Xabi posted:

:getin:

Also, congrats on the kid!

Speakin' of kid. I pretty much exclusively use my D600 for shooting pics of my babby now.

Have some cuteness:

edit: Have more because nobody asked.

Mom went away for a few hours so she and I romped around the nursery floor in our jammies taking pics:

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 10, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
So I did end up going for the 35mm. Love it and i'm having a lot of fun with it. Here's a picture.

Thanks for the recommendation guys.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I need a standard zoom of some kind. I've rented the Tamron 24-70, Nikon 28-20, and Nikon 24-120 for various projects. The Nikon 24-70 2.8 is too expensive for my tastes. I'm split somewhat evenly between photo and video so the aperture ring on the 28-70 would be handy, as would the IS on the 24-120. The Tamron's IS is essentially worthless for video in my experience. The 24-120 I rented was a bitch to manually focus because the ring is narrow and on that particular copy it felt a little grabby (not sure if this is generally the case.)

None of them are all that ideal, but only having primes is getting in my way on shoots where I need to move fast. Anyone have opinions on these three? Right now I'm leaning towards the 28-70.

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Kenshin posted:

You could probably get an Ex or better used D7100 body from KEH for less with a six month dealer warranty and access to Nikon North America service centers after that if you have a problem. I just bought an EX D800E body when they had their last sale and it arrived looking like new, in the original box and only had 11k shutter actuations. The only thing is they harvested the Manuals and camera strap to sell separately. Otherwise it looked like it just shipped from the Nikon warehouse.

iammeandsoareyou fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 10, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

iammeandsoareyou posted:

You could probably get an Ex or better used D7100 body from KEH for less with a six month dealer warranty and access to Nikon North America service centers after that if you have a problem. I just bought an EX D800E body when they had there last sale and it arrived looking like new, in the original box and only had 11k shutter actuations. The only thing is they harvested the Manuals and camera strap to sell separately. Otherwise it looked like it just shipped from the Nikon warehouse.

Oh drat, that's an even better idea.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

powderific posted:

I feel like I need a standard zoom of some kind. I've rented the Tamron 24-70, Nikon 28-20, and Nikon 24-120 for various projects. The Nikon 24-70 2.8 is too expensive for my tastes. I'm split somewhat evenly between photo and video so the aperture ring on the 28-70 would be handy, as would the IS on the 24-120. The Tamron's IS is essentially worthless for video in my experience. The 24-120 I rented was a bitch to manually focus because the ring is narrow and on that particular copy it felt a little grabby (not sure if this is generally the case.)

None of them are all that ideal, but only having primes is getting in my way on shoots where I need to move fast. Anyone have opinions on these three? Right now I'm leaning towards the 28-70.

24-85 f2.8-4D sounds like it's what you need. It has an aperture ring.
24-85 f3.5-4.5g without IS, or with IS: It's okay. It's not super, though.

Just make sure to skip the 24-120 f3.5-5.6g.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wild EEPROM posted:

24-85 f2.8-4D sounds like it's what you need. It has an aperture ring.
24-85 f3.5-4.5g without IS, or with IS: It's okay. It's not super, though.

Just make sure to skip the 24-120 f3.5-5.6g.

I picked up a cheap but mint 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF which has turned into my go-to lens for my D7000. Haven't used it with video though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought a 28-105 3.5-4.5 from KEH and wound up sending it back. Maybe it was just a bad copy, but it didn't seem nearly sharp enough for my wants. I'd prefer to have AF-S and a constant aperture for video as well. The non-BIM focus mechanisms tend to be a little loose for pulling focus manually.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Need some help relatively urgently.
Guy here at work (on ship) has old Nikon D100, told me has sensor dust asked me if I could clean it.
I had some sensor cleaning fluid and swabs in my kit bag. I used blower then fluid/swabs and cleaned his sensor in the exact same way which I had successfully cleaned my 5D 2 many times in the past. However, after running the swab across the sensor, it left some really bad streaking where the edge of the swab ran. What the gently caress. I dunno if it makes a difference but the ship's environment is very, very dry. It looks like the poo poo is just not drying off properly for whatever reason.
Can't go out and buy more swabs now because there aren't any camera stores for about 4000 nautical miles and we're going ashore in a couple of days and this guys is really going to want his camera to be working properly.

Any way I can rectify this problem? Now I only have 2 used cleaning swabs and the sensor cleaning solution. The streaking across the sensor obviously leaves horrible streaks across his images. Pls halp!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
It sounds like his sensor is so filthy that it needs multiple passes, but I actually don't know a single thing about cleaning sensors. Why not keep going at it?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

Guy here at work (on ship) has old Nikon D100, told me has sensor dust asked me if I could clean it.
I had some sensor cleaning fluid and swabs in my kit bag. I used blower then fluid/swabs and cleaned his sensor in the exact same way which I had successfully cleaned my 5D 2 many times in the past. However, after running the swab across the sensor, it left some really bad streaking where the edge of the swab ran. What the gently caress. I dunno if it makes a difference but the ship's environment is very, very dry. It looks like the poo poo is just not drying off properly for whatever reason.
Can't go out and buy more swabs now because there aren't any camera stores for about 4000 nautical miles and we're going ashore in a couple of days and this guys is really going to want his camera to be working properly.

Any way I can rectify this problem? Now I only have 2 used cleaning swabs and the sensor cleaning solution. The streaking across the sensor obviously leaves horrible streaks across his images. Pls halp!

Use less fluid.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Sludge Tank posted:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

MrBlandAverage posted:

Use less fluid.

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Used one drop on the swab, as had done in the past.
Perhaps the swabs were poo poo.... (been in the kit a couple of years but hadn't been used, although they were more spongey compared to the other ones I had used)