Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Fuzz posted:

Those are some changes, wow... some that I don't get:

* MEC Railgun will now use Minigun model and effects. Laser/Pulse Lance will use Railgun model and effects.

I don't get this change... the current Railgun vs Pulse Lance look is awesome, are they just removing the current Pulse Lance's model completely? That sucks.
Ballistic/Gauss = same model, Beam/Pulse = same model, Plasma = it's own model now.

Fuzz posted:

* You can now build seven MEC suits. MEC-1 is tier one, MEC-2 and MEC-3 are tier 2, and MEC-4 through MEC-7 are tier 3. They split along survivability/mobility lines and some grant body shield or jet boot module perks. MEC suit bonus will has gone down somewhat, and some MEC perk trees significantly reworked.

This seems really drat excessive and like too much, in general.
I think they always planned to expand MEC out even more. As it stands now, the suits are straight upgrades from the other, just a matter of resources. MEC1 into 2/3 is supposed to be an upgrade, but along different paths (tanking/mobility). Remember, MECs lost Elerium turbos, so they only get Sprinter from the foundry upgrade. Presumeably mobility suits will get free jet boots as perks (makes more sense than a soldier perk), along with some others (possibly tac sense for dodging survivability), while tankier ones will probably have less DEF to make them more enticing to hit,, damage reduction, etc. Third tier I'm not sure how the split will work exactly, but presumably on similar lines, since MEC2 and MEC3 will probably branch off into 2->4/5 and 3->6/7. It's not that confusing.

Fuzz posted:

* Added foundry project "Enhanced Coilguns" that triples the anti-DR capability of Gauss weapons (to 1) and improves all existing Phoenix Cannon to Phoenix Coilgun stats with slightly better damage than B14 PhxCG.

Okay, but they still sound like they blow rear end compared to lasers, and thus aren't worth it.
Pheonix Cannons come earlier now, they also get their foundry upgrade ala lasers getting supercap. Presumably to balance out the spikiness in laser cannons being way too dominant, maybe letting players mix interceptor weapon usage instead.

Fuzz posted:

* Resources reworked a bit. Reduced base alloys from each UFO class by about 30%. Increased average alloys and elerium recovered on UFO crash missions. Foundry alloy and elerium projects now provide 20% bonus to ALL alloys and elerium recovered from missions. UFO Analysis techs provide 20% bonus to alloys and elerium recovered from that specific class of UFO after mission win (crashed or landed). Slight increase in chances of UFO Power and Nav Computer surviving mission. Altered how EMP Cannon works (bonus to artifact survival instead of flat chance). Slight decrease in alloys recovered from certain alien species. The goal here is to steady out your resource income and force some investment to improve it, particularly in the early game (making bagging a big landed UFO a little less swingey in overall campaign progression), make an early alien materials tech path more enticing, and make crashes somewhat more rewarding.

This just seems rear end in a top hat-ish since it's already hard to keep up with resources in the existing game.
How is that rear end in a top hat-ish? Says right there it's to reduce the spikiness of resource crunches. I've only ever had 1 large UFO landing on me, and it's January 2016? So I should be punished if I just crit all my UFOs out of the air and can't conduct missions or aliens decide they're gonna do missions where I haven't expanded?

Fuzz posted:

* Gave SHIVs a little armor HP that won't need time in the shop if lost. Regular SHIV now has 15 defense (vice 10); Alloy SHIV has 10 defense (vice 15).

So Alloy SHIVs have less armor than regular SHIVs... because that makes sense...
No, the first part means SHIVs get armour HP that have to be penetrated before it puts them in the repair bay. Same w/ armour with regular troops. Right now SHIVs just have base HP, and you can only go so far with an alloy belt/carbide plate/shaped armour. At least getting some means they can take a hit or two and still be alright to go back-to-back on missions.

The second part is the innate defense of the unit. SHIVs are just getting a small boost so they don't get focused down (they have 8HP before shaped armour), while alloy SHIVs lost some defense so they're more likely to get shot at.

Fuzz posted:

* Platform Stability now available on Sniper, Gunner and Rocketeer trees. Platform Stability now helps reduce rocket scatter.

Why the hell would you not always take Platform Stability on a Sniper? By default they can't move and shoot if they're using a Sniper Rifle, and that just further dichotomizes Snap Shot (aka less useful) Snipers from regular Snipers.
Snap Shot snipers are in flux right now in the b15 meta, but it doesn't sound too bad despite the ITZ nerf (-1 dmg per kill), since they finally fixed squadsight flank/exposed bonuses and reduced the SS crit malus. Squadsight is still important if you play with a fairly mobile sniper or you're bringing them along for maps with tighter sightlines that require extra maneuvering. And SS snipers are still the only ones that can ITZ to their full potential as they can LnL and keep going.

Also presumeably platform stability is up against some other good perks at its level.

Fuzz posted:

* Reduced base flamethrower damage by 2. Jellied Elerium foundry project now provides only bonus panic chance on its own, but it also unlocks a small item, the Incinerator Module, that provides +3 flamethrower damage.

Well that's also a nice gently caress you. I hope one of these seven MEC suits has more than 2 accessory items, since the way they seem to be setting it up, there will be a shitload of different attachment options for MECs, now.
Let's be honest no one really brings the flamethrower for the damage; that's the KSM's job, the flamethrower is there for the panic. Putting something like a pod of HFs out for 3 turns is already stupidly good because it lets you clear the field of other threats even while they sit in cover repairing health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Every single major LW update: :supaburn: feature creep! :supaburn: :derp: hardness for hardness' sake! :derp:

Dunno, most of those sound pretty cool and make me excited to get back into another LW game. I'm sad that gunners don't get bipods anymore and that the LMG line is being slightly nerfed (wtf?) but I'll live.

e: Also, MECs, ghost grenades, mimic beacons and flamethrowers all needed minor nerfs. Coilguns need a reason to exist, and gauss needed a boost. All of these are good changes.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 10, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
If anything the LMG crit nerf is the most knee-jerky thing there considering it was probably by the same guy who pointed out you could stack the everliving gently caress out of DR on a MSGT Goliath in a MEC-3 with a super high will Mind Merge and laugh at nearly everything short of HEAT ammo enemies or an Ethereal Psi Lance.

IIRC he just brought MECs and had like the rest made up for LMG gunners overwatching and apparently that was OP because he could do it. Although it's not wrong that you just have 6+ LMGs out of visual range firing on enemies too busy shooting a MEC for 1-3 chip damage, it's a little ridiculous.

Especially when you consider most people likely skip LMGs in beam/gauss/pulse because it costs resources to make them and you don't have flying armour to take advantage of height boosting limited squadsight range bonuses, which by then you'll be making Plasma LMGs.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Workshops were redone largely in an effort to remove an exploit nobody used. :v:

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Yeah it seems like they're trying to smooth out the strategy curve and add options for progression.

The aim changes they're going for are probably going to take awhile to balance out properly, but everything else seems pretty good. I'm not really seeing "feature creep" being a viable explanation for any of this, and the things that got nerfed really needed to. Ghost grenades in particular, as much as I'm sad to see them go, break the late game hard.

Also one of the beauties of this mod is how easily moddable almost all of it is. If you don't like something, dig through DGC.ini and change it. The joys of :pcgaming:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Deuce posted:

Workshops were redone largely in an effort to remove an exploit nobody used. :v:

What was the exploit? Some way to make the rebate equal more than what you spent?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Deuce posted:

Nobody who hadn't reached late game in vanilla, you mean.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You couldn't get more than you spent, but everything was free past a certain point.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I dunno, most of the changes look great to me, it just remains to be seen how the new MEC's will fare. Excited to try the new ones though, having jumpy boots available to classes without having to waste a perk will ownnnnn. And wasn't it laboratory blocks that are getting changed, not workshops?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

As a new player, should I just jump right in and play classic so I don't develop bad habits on normal?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If you're ready for the punishment, sure. The difference between Normal and Classic is pretty steep in the early game especially, and I found it too frustrating for a long time. If you're totally new to this type of strategy battle thing I'd just start on Normal while you learn the ropes, but be ready to just restart if it starts feeling too early. Normal difficulty does start feeling too easy later in the game when your guys have good weapons + armor, since getting hit stops being a scary thing and you can blast aliens to pieces easily

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elderbean posted:

As a new player, should I just jump right in and play classic so I don't develop bad habits on normal?

For the unmodded game? Absolutely. Just be aware that you're probably going to have a lot of moments that make you go "well that's bullshit" - if you stick with it you'll realise that a lot of those could have been avoided with some tighter play on your part. Xcom isn't a power fantasy game about making you feel like an amazing commander as your troops stomp all over the alien menace - while it's kind of like that if you play on Easy or Normal, on Classic and above you have to actually prove that you're a good (or at least, not terrible) commander first.

Just take the losses as they come, and whenever something goes bad (even if no-one dies), think about how you could have done it better.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Elderbean posted:

Absolutely. In the unmodded game the AI is shackled to not consider certain lines of play on difficulties below Classic, so it does teach bad strategy.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:
Also keep in mind that difficult in vanilla is pretty much reversed so if you can make it to lasers and carapace you'll be golden.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Zephro posted:

The hardest thing to do in game design is to just know when to stop already. Winners don't use feature creep.

While I agree with this as far as game design goes, it kind of feels to me like Long War betas are less like more features being added on to the same game and more like a game having different "Seasons" if that makes sense. So I don't mind changing things up even if it effectively means that certain things get changed just for the sake of getting changed. Hell, it keeps the game from getting boring. I'm not a fan of some changes but I think that learning to play around them could be fun too.

I mean I'm already playing it on Impossible, so clearly I'm a masochist who has crossed the point of no return long ago. Bring on the giant Sectoidzillas with heat ammo!

(Please don't actually do that, LW people)

(...Though I'd actually unironically love to see a Sectoidzilla. It would be the silliest loving thing and I'd love it.)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don't tease. Homeworld 2 was incredible.

I am talking about the Homeworld 2 mod named Complex.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Michaellaneous posted:

I am talking about the Homeworld 2 mod named Complex.

Is that the one where rookie pilots occasionally would collide with the mothership while trying to dock?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Just got "Operation Crystal Pipe".

I guess that's why funds keep going missing. Central keep blaming it on EXALT, but I know.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

quote:

You can always enter build facility detail screen for readout on requirements, even if you have insufficient resources for build

This is seriously the best change. That and no more infinitely good UFOs, which always puts me off playing.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
Hey guys, I just begun having the error 41 on Steam. Just when I was getting gauss and having a great time! Do you have any fixes for it?

E: Okay now it just crashes when loading saves...

Death by Cranes fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 11, 2015

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I just put my new firestorm to use shooting down a Terror Ship (dear god that was scary) and after clearing out 35 aliens, the only thing left intact was a single alien stasis tank...

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

legoman727 posted:

I just put my new firestorm to use shooting down a Terror Ship (dear god that was scary) and after clearing out 35 aliens, the only thing left intact was a single alien stasis tank...

The aliens refuse to send UFOs at the continent w/ my firestorm. :(

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is there something in the game's programming that says "ZHANG CHILONG CAN NEVER DIE"?

Even on classic, he seems totally indestructible. He almost feels like a bad joke: "the one guy you can't customize is gonna look super dumb, and he will never ever die."

I charge him headlong into the most ridiculous situations, and the aliens ignore him to take pot-shots at some support trooper in heavy cover miles away. When he does get shot, he almost never gets hit. This is across multiple games, on normal and classic difficulty. He has never died, and not for lack of trying on my part.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I have gotten Zhang killed many times. Never intentionally.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My Zhang is an Assault, and he is the proest Covert Op XCOM has ever had.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fuzz posted:

I prefer scouts for covert ops but Zhan is also assault for me and him and another assault dude I have are the backbone of my heavy hitters / A-team.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Wait, he can be a not-heavy? He's always a heavy in my games. I always thought assault would suit him better. He's some random Triad dude, and "crazy shotgun bum-rush" makes more sense than "slow rocket launcher/minigun guy".

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
In vanilla/ew he's always a heavy, but in long war he can be any class.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You can also install a mod where you can choose the class yourself.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Starting to consider bringing two Arc throwers in crashed ufos....I just had two perfect chem'd aliens for capture....and missed all 3 55% captures.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I prefer scouts for covert ops but Zhan is also assault for me and him and another assault dude I have are the backbone of my heavy hitters / A-team.

He and Van Doorn both got randomed into Assaults for me, so now they're the backbone of my Psionic Assault team. Durand became a Medic and pretty much always carries the Ghost Grenades.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

So I did an airbase defense mission, and one of my MEC 3s went from full health to dead in one round. I didn't mind losing the pilot (he was new), but did I lose the suit too? I'm not seeing it in my equip list.

If it *is* lost, is there a hack to put it back? I played like an hour of gametime and don't want to replay it.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Yeah there's kind of a glitch with B14 where if your MEC dies, the suit (but nothing equipped to it) goes. It's fixed in B15, but. welp.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Finally got my first base defense in March 2016, was worried the aliens were just too far on the back foot to attempt it. Fortunately I had plenty of high ranking troops and gear ready and it was pretty much a stomp, though one of my infantry majors did get down to 2hp after eating a chrysallid attack and tanking the acid damage for several turns in a row. Had like 5 cyberdisks, 3 chrysallids, 3 berserkers, 5 or 6 mectoids, 2 sectoid commanders, 1 sectopod, 1 heavy floater that just refused to come at me for like 10 turns while we cleared from the starter room all the way to the final hallway, and a random smattering of other bullshit. Also starring 1 lonely muton elite, the first alien to drop in and eat the entire squads overwatch to die instantly.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Yeah there's kind of a glitch with B14 where if your MEC dies, the suit (but nothing equipped to it) goes. It's fixed in B15, but. welp.

It's a bug?

I know vanilla Suit repair is not in, but there will be repair options in B15 with its own GUI and everything.
In fact, I've read the JL is thinking about expanding the concept on other, non-MEC items too.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I just started playing Long War and I don't know where to start. Any beginner tips?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

amuayse posted:

I just started playing Long War and I don't know where to start. Any beginner tips?

Start Europe. Start Xenobiology and then rush lasers. Get a lab up early .

In other news, the aliens just landed a Harvester and an Abductor at the same time. :gonk:

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

amuayse posted:

The early game is easier than vanilla, late game is harder. Don't stress out about the air war; you will lose satellites. Try to build up to 6 interceptors over your continent before you think about expanding, and honestly I usually wait until the middle of the first year to move to other continent for bonuses. A good strategy for the air war early is to avoid fighting anything other than Small ships (scouts and fighters; fighters are the flashing ones that shoot down your satellites) until you get lasers. And if you have a lot of ships knocked out for repairs, I'd ignore scouts and just intercept fighters until you have some spares.

If you literally mean you don't know where to start, I always do North America precisely because the air war is difficult, and the bonus to interceptors helps out. However, I think Asia is a perfectly valid spot too. The advantage to starting in Asia is that you only need 3 satellites to get North America's bonus, whereas you need 4 if you start in Asia.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Hopeford posted:

Starting to consider bringing two Arc throwers in crashed ufos....I just had two perfect chem'd aliens for capture....and missed all 3 55% captures.

Statistically this will happen about 10% of the time. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuzz posted:

He and Van Doorn both got randomed into Assaults for me, so now they're the backbone of my Psionic Assault team. Durand became a Medic and pretty much always carries the Ghost Grenades.
I just can't make Durand not an Engineer. She wants to blow poo poo up so badly. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

Deuce posted:

Statistically this will happen about 10% of the time. :v:

That's like telling a roulette you should win next time. XCOM, baby!

• Locked thread