Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Is anyone else reading Manifest Destiny? Because I'm reading it in Trades and it loving rules so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, Manifest Destiny is fantastic.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The first two issues of They're Not Like Us are the most enjoyable X-Men comics I've read in a while.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Inkspot posted:

The first two issues of They're Not Like Us are the most enjoyable X-Men comics I've read in a while.

Really loved the art in the first issue, but I ditched it because I wasn't into the writing at all.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

bairfanx posted:

Really loved the art in the first issue, but I ditched it because I wasn't into the writing at all.

Yeah. The premise was interesting, but the writing was horrible, the story was stupid and all the characters were just unlikable.

Deadly Class does a similar kind of thing, but is way more enjoyable and better written. Even though all the characters are pretty nasty you still want to read about them.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
A few months back, but I bought the giant pile of Star Wars comics from Dark horse at the end of the year. Trip Report:

RevKrule posted:

Did Dark Horse ever make their digital app better and usable?

It seems like they did. I've been using it on my phone and on my computer. They function fairly well on both, though I've been occasionally puzzled by the "panel-by-panel" approach on my phone, but that's largely because I am not very good with touch screens. Otherwise it's a fairly smooth reading experience that can flow from issue to issue without breaking the flow, and it can even keep track of where you were even when you're switching devices so I can read a few issues/pages/panels on my phone while I'm waiting and then immediately pick it up on my computer when I get home. My only gripe is that you have to download issues to your phone while you can stream directly from the site on your computer (due to understandable tech limitations), but while my computer is my preferred reading spot it doesn't have the nice sorting system that the phone has, which sets up nesting folders so you can navigate from series (Star Wars) to Title (Star Wars: A Long Time Ago...) to Issue (Star Wars Omnibus: A Long Time Ago... Volume 2), while if I want to get to the issue on my computer I have to navigate through a long list of 560 different comics at 24 things per page. If you remember which page it's on then it's a bit faster, but it's still annoying.

Overall, pretty worth the money for (almost) all the Star Wars. I don't regret the purchase.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Southern Bastards is so good. I can not believe that I am feeling sorry for Boss.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

Southern Bastards is so good. I can not believe that I am feeling sorry for Boss.

April 28th is so far away.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
The new issue of Southern Bastards was tugging at my heart strings, jeeze.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Its a lot like Scalped where the main antagonist is a huge douchebag, but you feel bad for him at times. I just have no idea where this title is going, and I look forward to whenever it comes out.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Apparently Ken Nolan (of Blackhawk Down fame) will adapt The Activity by Nathan Edmondson and Mitch Gerads to motion picture.

While we probably won't see hide or hair of it for a few years, hell yes.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Jcam posted:

The new issue of Southern Bastards was tugging at my heart strings, jeeze.

All I want is Earls daughter to come kick rear end but now I want Coach Boss and Earls daughter to come to peace with each other.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'll tell you what's weird; this Robyn Hood book from Zenescope is actually a pretty good urban fantasy comic.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
So, what do people think of Nameless? Gonna give it five issues or so to see if Mr. Morrison can get it together, but I'm intrigued. Lovecraftian horror scifi weirdness.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I liked it and I'm down for the long haul if it doesn't meander too much. I eventually tapped out of Morrison's Batman but Lovecraftian horror will keep me interested a bit longer. Burnham kills it on art.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Does anyone have any indie comic blogs that are worth following? I'm already loving the hell out of Comics and Cola- something like that would be great!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Just Offscreen posted:

Does anyone have any indie comic blogs that are worth following? I'm already loving the hell out of Comics and Cola- something like that would be great!

Women Writing About Comics has some of the best writing and coverage I've read online. It covers everything from indie to super mainstream.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Crossposting in the Licensed Comics Thread:

Link.

"Dynamite has announced a new big event series from Gail Simone and Sergio Davila, Swords of Sorrow. Crossing over between many of their female characters, the series will lead into a series of tie-in stories written by some of the most talented women in the business, including Marguerite Bennett, Leah Moore, Mairghread Scott, Emma Beeby, Mikki Kendall, Nancy Collins, and G. Willow Wilson."

I'm always fascinated when Dynamite try to do one of these crossovers, because they're not like Marvel, DC, Top Cow or Valiant, that usually do this stuff, because all their books take place in one contiguous (if weird) world. Dynamite has to really stretch to do this with even two of their properties, normally. (Or work with another publisher, like on their Django and Conan crossovers recently) This is doing it with a fuckton, ranging from John Carter to Red Sonja (makes some sense) to Jungle Girl (OK?) to Green Hornet and Vampirella (...what?).

It's also kinda interesting to see them trying to broach this gap between audiences, with the recent relaunch of Sonja and Vampirella with female writers, trying to balance the more cheesecake-y exploitation (and I mean this in the exploitation genre meaning, as much as the more general sense) with women characters showing real agency and not just as tits for nerds to ogle. Not saying they succeed all or even much of the time, but it's a curious way of trying to claw some relevancy.

(I posted the variant cover mostly because I think it looks cool.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Only two weeks until our long national Rat Queensless nightmare is over.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I just finished David Lapham's Murder Me Dead, his other big El Capitan re-release that kinda got overshadowed by the excitement of Stray Bullet's return. I remember seeing the ad for it in the back of Stray Bullets (along with previews of Lapham's sci-fi comic that ended up being a nonstarter) a long time ago and being really intrigued, but it was really hard to track down until now, thanks to a new printing by Image Comics.

The subtitle, "A Harrowing Tale of Love and Murder", is really fitting. Murder Me Dead is a crime story in the mode of James Cain and Jim Thompson, filled with unpleasant and oftentimes irredeemable characters. I actually stalled out around page 100 and had to take a break from it for a while because things were so brutal. Whereas Stray Bullets will have stories of young, star-crossed lovers set against the world, Murder Me Dead's central couple is faced with the same external hurdles yet are unable to rely on even their love for each other. Disaster seems to follow Steven, the main character, from the very start of the story, and looms large even during the all too brief moments of reprieve and honeymoon love. It's just one of those stories where you know calamity is the foregone conclusion and you're really just waiting for the hammer to fall. It kinda then becomes an exercise in frustration as you watch Steven ignoring all sense and just self-destructively stumbling towards ruin throughout the story.

I'm not sure I enjoyed Murder Me Dead as much as Stray Bullets. Lapham's artwork is very strong here and he uses his inks to good effect by painting faces with moody contrast or surrounding characters in the literal and figurative pitch darkness of prison cells and hostile city streets. But as an attempt at a full-blown noir story, I actually think Stray Bullets does a better job at noir within certain issues than this entire miniseries put together. For example, I think the genre explorations of the Amy Racecar issues in SB are Lapham at his most ingenious. Even though he's playing with the conventions of a genre like the Yojimbo story or a noir detective tale in a facetious way with his Amy Racecar issues, he still demonstrates a keen handle on the genre hallmarks in a much less by-the-numbers take than what you'll find in Murder Me Dead. I even think the moral of how love can be ruinous and self-destructive is told in a much more gripping and concise manner in just one issue of Stray Bullets (#20, "Hotel"). All in all, I'd say you could check out Murder Me Dead if you wanted more of the same but it's hardly essential in Lapham's overall body of work.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Holy poo poo Lazarus #15.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Mars4523 posted:

I'm restricting myself to getting the collected editions. Great series though.

The new The Wicked + The Divine came out on ComiXology today, didn't seem to be much happening this issue, mostly just introduced a new God to the mix, but it was gorgeous and extremely trippy looking.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Mars4523 posted:

One thrilling, visceral, emotionally raw fight scene. Michael Lark has never done better.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
:siren:Copra Round 2 is now up for preorder!!:siren:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

is it? I don't see a way to add to cart

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
It's been available to preorder from comic shops all month! I'm not sure how your local store works but if you give them this DIAMOND CODE: FEB151088 they should be able to order one for you.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

TheQat posted:

is it? I don't see a way to add to cart

Sorry, I jumped the gun by about an hour, the online link is live now.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

moot the hopple posted:

Sorry, I jumped the gun by about an hour, the online link is live now.

Much appreciated anyway!

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, Fantasy Sports #1 by Sam Bosma is coming out from Nobrow this spring. It's a bit expensive, but it's a ton of fun and definitely worth picking up if you like fantasy/adventure stores/teen coming of age stories/sports.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Does anyone else read Chew? Because I'm binge-reading it thanks to my public library, and it is awesome. For what is primarily a comedy book, it's super-creative, with really deep, involved continuity, character development, and high stakes as well as great gags. It reminds me of The Venture Bros. that way.

My library had battered, tattered copies of the first two TPBs, which I read about a month back and really enjoyed, so I asked them to order the second, third, and fourth "Omnivore Editions," which reprint TPB volumes 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8, respectively. They finally got processed and added to the permanent collection, and I was first in line. Absolutely loving it. If anyone likes police procedurals, gory horror, or silly comedy, you should really give it a chance. Rob Guillory's art is full of neat little background details and funny Easter eggs as well (no pun intended, given some of the subject matter).

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

bairfanx posted:

So, Fantasy Sports #1 by Sam Bosma is coming out from Nobrow this spring. It's a bit expensive, but it's a ton of fun and definitely worth picking up if you like fantasy/adventure stores/teen coming of age stories/sports.

I grabbed Fantasy Basketball off his site back when he was offering it digitally for ~$2 and had fun with it. Bosma's new coloring and added pages in Fantasy Sports look slick but I'm personally going to wait on the next installment if he's planning it as a continuing series.

EDIT: Looks like the digital copy of FB is still on sale if you guys wanted to check it out

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 1, 2015

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

moot the hopple posted:

I grabbed Fantasy Basketball off his site back when he was offering it digitally for ~$2 and had fun with it. Bosma's new coloring and added pages in Fantasy Sports look slick but I'm personally going to wait on the next installment if he's planning it as a continuing series.

EDIT: Looks like the digital copy of FB is still on sale if you guys wanted to check it out

Huh, I somehow missed this. I think the new colors do add a ton to it, and I'm definitely excited to see where it's headed next, but check out that digital copy if you're wary.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Does anyone else read Chew? Because I'm binge-reading it thanks to my public library, and it is awesome. For what is primarily a comedy book, it's super-creative, with really deep, involved continuity, character development, and high stakes as well as great gags. It reminds me of The Venture Bros. that way.

My library had battered, tattered copies of the first two TPBs, which I read about a month back and really enjoyed, so I asked them to order the second, third, and fourth "Omnivore Editions," which reprint TPB volumes 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8, respectively. They finally got processed and added to the permanent collection, and I was first in line. Absolutely loving it. If anyone likes police procedurals, gory horror, or silly comedy, you should really give it a chance. Rob Guillory's art is full of neat little background details and funny Easter eggs as well (no pun intended, given some of the subject matter).

Chew is a wonderful, wonderful book that I need to remember to pick up in trades.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So. Rat Queens is back, and is still great. I was particularly taken that Wiebe and Sejic timed Betty's rampage for just about the point where I was wondering if she was being overused as comic relief. So to have her going from "I have found the exit (from this backpack)" to "MURDER!!!!" was a good salve for that concern.

Also, Sejic has THREE other books solicited in the back of this one! HOLY BALLS! (Granted one of them is already out and is mostly just touching up work he's already done, but still!)

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
New Jeff Lemire book on Image called Descender. Pretty drat cool - it's about a robot boy in a world that hates robots.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

pugnax posted:

New Jeff Lemire book on Image called Descender. Pretty drat cool - it's about a robot boy in a world that hates robots.

Is he Canadian?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

TheManWithNoName posted:

Is he Canadian?

He's on a frozen iceball at the edge of civilization, so, yeah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Has anyone been reading Bendis and Oeming's United States of Murder, Inc.? I picked up the first few issues when Comixology had a big Bendis sale, and it's... it's got a hell of a high concept. Basically, the mob took credit for the hit on JFK, and as a result, basically run the East Coast as a mafia nation unto itself? And it gets weirder: (#1 ending spoilers)The lead character's mother is an undercover FBI agent, FROM BIRTH, and tells him he is too.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this sure wasn't it. It's not BAD, but it's... out there.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Nameless #1 was kind of detrimentally overwhelming but #2 definitely improved on it. Burnham is really just artistically demolishing everything in his path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Just got an e-mail letting me know my copy of Copra Round 2 just shipped! :toot: