Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I like wiping bad teams the monster, 45 bucks well spent :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Hipster Occultist posted:

I like wiping bad teams the monster, 45 bucks well spent :feelsgood:

WITH the monster? That's bodacious. I played a game of Evacuation last night and routinely had 3 monsters ragequit.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

a cock shaped fruit posted:

WITH the monster? That's bodacious. I played a game of Evacuation last night and routinely had 3 monsters ragequit.

I've spent my time thus far stumbling around as Goliath and eventually getting murdered by the hunters. It's been a fun learning experience.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Just lost a couple Hunter rounds with some random no-chat pubbies but it was still fun. I'll try to get in on some PS4 goon playing tomorrow.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
pretty good game, i enjoy playing monster way more than hunter just for the fact that every moment as the monster is tense, as you feel stalked and can barely breathe let alone farm some fuckin' animals jesus just let me get level 2

hunters just do a lot of running and feels like its all about jet fuel management which sucks. but fights are fun still

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

can you use lazarus device from a distance or what. im starting to think he's sort of bad since he depends on a dude dying but guess what fucker, if you're dead there's a chance lazarus might die getting to you anyway and this could be avoided if he had a healbeam....fart

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

There's more venom and hate in this thread then the goddamn Walking Dead TV thread. :anime: I bought Evolve for Ps4, so jokes on me then! :allears:

I wonder how many goons post on Metacritic.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Am I the only one who finds playing as a monster against AI incredibly difficult? Or am I just bad at this game? I toned the difficulty down to favor monsters and I still get my rear end beat. So confused by this game.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

can you use lazarus device from a distance or what. im starting to think he's sort of bad since he depends on a dude dying but guess what fucker, if you're dead there's a chance lazarus might die getting to you anyway and this could be avoided if he had a healbeam....fart

Lazarus is good because his revive has no penalty like everyone else, so you can die an infinite number of times instead of twice and then going back to the ship immediately.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Turn invisible, res with impunity.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I can't play laz to save my soul: every loving monster stops to eat bodies.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The Crooked Warden posted:

I only eat every body when I'm playing against Lazarus. :q:

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I only eat every body when I'm playing against Lazarus. :q:

I always try to eat every body, preferably with the other hunters still alive to witness it. You gotta put the fear in em.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Crooked Warden posted:

Yes that's the counter to Lazarus' very powerful ability. A good team blasts the poo poo out a monster to distract them after someone goes down.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Laz is pretty tough to get to work, if the monster takes down the assault you are in a world of trouble cause your going to have trouble dealing enough damage to make the monster piss off & if Laz shows himself to deal damage guess who is going to be getting wailed on.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ironsolid posted:

Am I the only one who finds playing as a monster against AI incredibly difficult? Or am I just bad at this game? I toned the difficulty down to favor monsters and I still get my rear end beat. So confused by this game.

yeah played a few AI matches and one ended with killing the fucken monster in like 2 minutes, others with Kraken we never found the fuckng thing til level 3.

so far im just feeling "who gives a poo poo" after a couple of rounds right now, idk how you could take such a premise and make it seem so boring

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

MinibarMatchman posted:

yeah played a few AI matches and one ended with killing the fucken monster in like 2 minutes, others with Kraken we never found the fuckng thing til level 3.

so far im just feeling "who gives a poo poo" after a couple of rounds right now, idk how you could take such a premise and make it seem so boring

Try playing evacuation mode; it mixes in some objective games that are faster paced / more action oriented than hunt.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Also I know it sounds like stupid advice, but honestly it worked for me - With Kraken, start looking 'up' more. First beta was almost exclusively fights against Goliaths, so when I started fighting Krakens it blew my mind how often those fuckers are RIGHT GODDAMN THERE.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
As monster run until you get full Armour, Find a good place to fight with lots of elevation, see if you can bait a dome. Fight until you have low/no Armour left and run / hide abusing the high ground until the dome wears down if you haven't already downed the trapper (Downing the trapper disables the dome if you didn't already know) .

You lose all the Armour you had when you evolve to the next stage so you might as well use it, plus you get some health back when you evolve so again minor losses of hp aren't too bad. Any person you down permanently loses a significant proportion of hp so its worthwhile to do.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

bonds0097 posted:

I've spent my time thus far stumbling around as Goliath and eventually getting murdered by the hunters. It's been a fun learning experience.

Always run until you hit stage 3, then destroy'em. I mean, slip in an incap or two if they get separated but you never want all four wailing on you until you're fully hulked out. Armor disappears way too fast and its easy to slip into semi-permanent health damage.

I usually start with a charge, then fire breath, then melee. One they're down keep smashing until they die, and eat the body if Laz is around. Don't forget to use abilities on downed folks as well.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lexusbeat posted:

As monster run until you get full Armour, Find a good place to fight with lots of elevation, see if you can bait a dome. Fight until you have low/no Armour left and run / hide abusing the high ground until the dome wears down if you haven't already downed the trapper (Downing the trapper disables the dome if you didn't already know) .

You lose all the Armour you had when you evolve to the next stage so you might as well use it, plus you get some health back when you evolve so again minor losses of hp aren't too bad. Any person you down permanently loses a significant proportion of hp so its worthwhile to do.

Always run until you hit stage 3, then destroy'em. I mean, slip in an incap or two if they get separated but you never want all four wailing on you until you're fully hulked out. Armor disappears way too fast and its easy to slip into semi-permanent health damage.

I usually start with a charge, then fire breath, then melee. One they're down keep smashing until they die, and eat the body if Laz is around. Don't forget to use abilities on downed folks as well.

Both of these work, and you want to do one or the other depending on the line-up. Generally, you want to do Hipster's thing when fighting against laz, because you have to team wipe / kill laz or you're screwed.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Ideally this game will have a DLC where you get to play as Macho Man Randy Savage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Despite my constant hatred of this game, if someone made a mod where each of the fully evolved monsters is a giant pro wrestler from back in the day I'd buy ASAP.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

rear end-Haggis posted:

Ideally this game will have a DLC where you get to play as Macho Man Randy Savage.

Yes, but who would the hunters be?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The hunters would be overweight mountain dew drinking slim jim eating neckbeards whom would only be satisfied with the still beating heart of macho man randy savage.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I just do not understand this game. Going to give this a shot online and see if I can get a better grasp with people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cars

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I just wiped a hunter group as a Stage 1 Kraken. poo poo this game is fun.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Has anyone made a :spergin: spreadsheet of DPS values and such?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

You really don't have to always run until you are level 3. I have wiped hunter teams while still level one with Goliath when they only expected me to run such as on nest maps. This is especially true if you get the baby goliath bonus minion. Two lvl 1 Goliaths are actually a pretty dire threat.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
I don't know why, but I'm going to reasonably attempt to explain why I am disappointed with this game because what I've read from the "Riot game designer" is sort of shocking, and I feel like I can help you understand why Evolve and so many other FPS games get this kind of reaction.

:dogbutton:

Let me pave the way for my point of view first, I'm stuck in 1999. I enjoyed Quake and Tribes and Unreal and all their iterations, those games were my jam. I like skill-based arena FPS. I REALLY like asymmetric FPS, the Hidden:Source mod was the first time I ever really experienced it, and it was amazing. Natural Selection was great. Left 4 Dead was great. But fast forward and the reality is that I really miss those games and I hate that every game is an RPG where I have to level now. So thats where I'm coming from, for starters.

I don't hate them because its a bad concept, but I hate them because most of the time RPG is implemented incorrectly in FPS games, and then on top of a badly implemented RPG leveling / unlock poo poo system the entire industry destructively capitalizes on leveling up (boosts, unlock packs, dlc, currency, etc) but I'll get to it in a minute. That aside, I understand its not going to change but there is a right way to implement RPG in a first person shooter, and there is a wrong way. Evolve goes about it the wrong way.

Here is my example: I set my character preference to Monster second to last because I'd rather play on team human, but 7/7 games I played the Monster. This frustrated me because I would have rather played Support or Assault, and I'm sure someone in the other party would have liked to play the Monster. But since players in a party can't play as a Monster, and I'm solo queuing well then oh well gently caress what I want, the game will tell me what to do. So I play the monster. I win all 7 matches. There was one ability that I never used, because it didn't fit my playstyle with the monster, and because of that the next remaining monster was not unlocked for me. I had 3 skills with a star unlocked, and one skill with 0 points unlocked. So now as I'm being forced to play the class I don't want to play (Monster) I'm being forced to use abilities that I don't want to use, just to unlock and level up some dumb poo poo so I can try a new Monster.

Now I want to first mention a game series I hate: Call of Duty. Specifically Black Ops. BLOPS unlocks actually were designed correctly. You used cash to unlock whatever the gently caress you wanted, in any order; Guns, Scopes, whatever. You still had to earn the cash (xp) but you could use it on whatever unlock you wanted. But Evolve doesn't have this. Even when I'm forced to play a class I don't want to play, using skills I don't want to use, I can't buy my choice unlocks with any shared xp pool or anything that makes sense. Alright. To top this off lol, I foolishly purchased the Monster Race edition but I did so through GMG for 25% off. When I load into the game and see $60 of additional skins and bs that weren't available to me I let out a bellowing laugh of disappointment.

:homebrew:

So TLDR from my experience as a player, the message that is flashed on my screen and marketed aggressively towards me is that I "had to" pre-order or else I miss out on content. Then I have a clusterfuck of launch versions to choose from. As a loyal customer I end up getting the one with what appears to be most all the content, until I load into the game at launch to be greeted with $60 of poo poo I don't have. Putting that aside, I load into my first game, and six games after that being forced to play a Monster when I wanted to play Support because of party restrictions. While I'm playing the Monster I'm forced to use some really stupid poo poo skill that is horrible just to unlock the next Monster. I can't get a refund for this poo poo because the ridiculous price for the "complete version" made me look for a deal at a reliable retailer which, once a key is redeemed I'm SOL. So as I sit here and play this pile I'm reminded of asymmetric games that are fun, because they didn't have any of content chopped up to be capitalized on, they didn't have persistent RPG/leveling). Imagine a Boomer from Left4Dead where you have to melee a hunter 25 times to unlock a Smoker? That doesn't make sense from a design perspective. And then you get treated like a second class gamer because you didn't pre-order so you don't have the Jockey. We all would have laughed at how terrible it is, but somehow a few years later its supposed to be ok.

redwalrus fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 11, 2015

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw_7u6tVbF8

GOTY

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
I'm 5-0 as the Kraken right now. People make really bad decisions. Downing one person from above, and then having 2 more people run to the corpse while I"m overhead is an awful idea. Vortex/LIghtning Strike will just clean the rest of the team up immediately after the first one hits the ground.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

jsr v2.0 posted:

I'm 5-0 as the Kraken right now. People make really bad decisions. Downing one person from above, and then having 2 more people run to the corpse while I"m overhead is an awful idea. Vortex/LIghtning Strike will just clean the rest of the team up immediately after the first one hits the ground.

People just don't look up. Even if they know you're up there somewhere they don't do it. It's really loving weird.

Kraken as an enemy is countered primarily by the pro strategy of "looking up" but it's as if this is the hardest skill for players to figure out.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

redwalrus posted:

I don't know why, but I'm going to reasonably attempt to explain why I am disappointed with this game because what I've read from the "Riot game designer" is sort of shocking, and I feel like I can help you understand why Evolve and so many other FPS games get this kind of reaction.

:dogbutton:

Let me pave the way for my point of view first, I'm stuck in 1999. I enjoyed Quake and Tribes and Unreal and all their iterations, those games were my jam. I like skill-based arena FPS. I REALLY like asymmetric FPS, the Hidden:Source mod was the first time I ever really experienced it, and it was amazing. Natural Selection was great. Left 4 Dead was great. But fast forward and the reality is that I really miss those games and I hate that every game is an RPG where I have to level now. So thats where I'm coming from, for starters.

I don't hate them because its a bad concept, but I hate them because most of the time RPG is implemented incorrectly in FPS games, and then on top of a badly implemented RPG leveling / unlock poo poo system the entire industry destructively capitalizes on leveling up (boosts, unlock packs, dlc, currency, etc) but I'll get to it in a minute. That aside, I understand its not going to change but there is a right way to implement RPG in a first person shooter, and there is a wrong way. Evolve goes about it the wrong way.

Here is my example: I set my character preference to Monster second to last because I'd rather play on team human, but 7/7 games I played the Monster. This frustrated me because I would have rather played Support or Assault, and I'm sure someone in the other party would have liked to play the Monster. But since players in a party can't play as a Monster, and I'm solo queuing well then oh well gently caress what I want, the game will tell me what to do. So I play the monster. I win all 7 matches. There was one ability that I never used, because it didn't fit my playstyle with the monster, and because of that the next remaining monster was not unlocked for me. I had 3 skills with a star unlocked, and one skill with 0 points unlocked. So now as I'm being forced to play the class I don't want to play (Monster) I'm being forced to use abilities that I don't want to use, just to unlock and level up some dumb poo poo so I can try a new Monster.

Now I want to first mention a game series I hate: Call of Duty. Specifically Black Ops. BLOPS unlocks actually were designed correctly. You used cash to unlock whatever the gently caress you wanted, in any order; Guns, Scopes, whatever. You still had to earn the cash (xp) but you could use it on whatever unlock you wanted. But Evolve doesn't have this. Even when I'm forced to play a class I don't want to play, using skills I don't want to use, I can't buy my choice unlocks with any shared xp pool or anything that makes sense. Alright. To top this off lol, I foolishly purchased the Monster Race edition but I did so through GMG for 25% off. When I load into the game and see $60 of additional skins and bs that weren't available to me I let out a bellowing laugh of disappointment.

:homebrew:

So TLDR from my experience as a player, the message that is flashed on my screen and marketed aggressively towards me is that I "had to" pre-order or else I miss out on content. Then I have a clusterfuck of launch versions to choose from. As a loyal customer I end up getting the one with what appears to be most all the content, until I load into the game at launch to be greeted with $60 of poo poo I don't have. Putting that aside, I load into my first game, and six games after that being forced to play a Monster when I wanted to play Support because of party restrictions. While I'm playing the Monster I'm forced to use some really stupid poo poo skill that is horrible just to unlock the next Monster. I can't get a refund for this poo poo because the ridiculous price for the "complete version" made me look for a deal at a reliable retailer which, once a key is redeemed I'm SOL. So as I sit here and play this pile I'm reminded of asymmetric games that are fun, because they didn't have any of content chopped up to be capitalized on, they didn't have persistent RPG/leveling). Imagine a Boomer from Left4Dead where you have to melee a hunter 25 times to unlock a Smoker? That doesn't make sense from a design perspective. And then you get treated like a second class gamer because you didn't pre-order so you don't have the Jockey. We all would have laughed at how terrible it is, but somehow a few years later its supposed to be ok.

So, to be fair, these are my major critiques about the game as well.

1. The progression system is poor, I agree. The fact the progression system directly translates into power is just quite bad. I shouldn't do 6% more damage with my weapon as an experienced player than a newbie, nor should my jetpack restore fuel twice as fast. If it had just given me prestige points or cosmetics or lateral options only I'd have a much different opinion, but this implementation is not good.
  2. Due to the progression system they made the call that parties can not have any player play the monster, in case collusion allows for exploiting. This is reasonable decision given the progression system gives power, but it makes the game worse for it. If we didn't have the progression system you could be a lot more free with the rules about who could play what.
  3. Because parties can't be the monster, it also means solo players will get screwed more often than not and either not be the class they want due to that party's agreed upon preferences or be forced to be the monster because there's a shortage of people who can slot into that slot with the party restriction.
  4. Restricting classes via the unlock system is kinda not a good idea in general, or at least in the way it was done here. If class unlocks were tied to your aggregate account level then it'd at least be better, because you could grind to the class you want to play while playing a class you enjoy. As it stands now if you ever want to get a hunter besides maggie you have to follow her dog forever, which is boring (and suboptimal play). Personally I'd still prefer all of the classes unlocked by default and then you progress each of them individually, but I'd still say the middle ground is a lot better than what this is.
  5. Because of the party restriction, playing the monster is a really isolating experience.

I don't particularly know what I said that was shocking; I was just asking for a critique beyond "the game is bad because it has DLC." There are legitimate things that are wrong with the game, and I think you hit on a lot of them. The critique you didn't mention that I really worry about is the game pacing, and I'm still trying to figure out if that's an inherent issue to Hunt or a problem with the early learning curve. My current hope is that the other game modes fare better in that department, but I've only gotten one game on each so far so it's a little tough to tell.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 11, 2015

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
what kind of skill orders are you guys doing for kraken?

i start with 1 point in everything but mines, figuring i dont care about them at all and just wanna fight effectively if caught.

level 2 i put one point in mines and then max point my lightning storm so i can kill the medic super quick

level 3 max aftershock and put one more point in whatever

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
drat just went 12-0 with hunters vs monster. poo poo is hilarious easy.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Brackhar posted:

So, to be fair, these are my major critiques about the game as well.

1. The progression system is poor, I agree. The fact the progression system directly translates into power is just quite bad. I shouldn't do 6% more damage with my weapon as an experienced player than a newbie, nor should my jetpack restore fuel twice as fast. If it had just given me prestige points or cosmetics or lateral options only I'd have a much different opinion, but this implementation is not good.
  2. Due to the progression system they made the call that parties can not have any player play the monster, in case collusion allows for exploiting. This is reasonable decision given the progression system gives power, but it makes the game worse for it. If we didn't have the progression system you could be a lot more free with the rules about who could play what.
  3. Because parties can't be the monster, it also means solo players will get screwed more often than not and either not be the class they want due to that party's agreed upon preferences or be forced to be the monster because there's a shortage of people who can slot into that slot with the party restriction.
  4. Restricting classes via the unlock system is kinda not a good idea in general, or at least in the way it was done here. If class unlocks were tied to your aggregate account level then it'd at least be better, because you could grind to the class you want to play while playing a class you enjoy. As it stands now if you ever want to get a hunter besides maggie you have to follow her dog forever, which is boring (and suboptimal play). Personally I'd still prefer all of the classes unlocked by default and then you progress each of them individually, but I'd still say the middle ground is a lot better than what this is.
  5. Because of the party restriction, playing the monster is a really isolating experience.

I don't particularly know what I said that was shocking; I was just asking for a critique beyond "the game is bad because it has DLC." There are legitimate things that are wrong with the game, and I think you hit on a lot of them. The critique you didn't mention that I really worry about is the game pacing, and I'm still trying to figure out if that's an inherent issue to Hunt or a problem with the early learning curve. My current hope is that the other game modes fare better in that department, but I've only gotten one game on each so far so it's a little tough to tell.

Well, after reading all this I'd say we basically agree then. I think its a case of too much across the board where the game has these fundamental problems, and chocked on top of it is a side of Take-Two capitalism supreme. Its very consumer-frustrating.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

redwalrus posted:

Well, after reading all this I'd say we basically agree then. I think its a case of too much across the board where the game has these fundamental problems, and chocked on top of it is a side of Take-Two capitalism supreme. Its very consumer-frustrating.

I feel the need to ask what the problem is with all the DLC, given that literally all of it currently is purely cosmetic and has no impact whatsoever on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

sexart posted:

what kind of skill orders are you guys doing for kraken?

i start with 1 point in everything but mines, figuring i dont care about them at all and just wanna fight effectively if caught.

level 2 i put one point in mines and then max point my lightning storm so i can kill the medic super quick

level 3 max aftershock and put one more point in whatever

Level 1 - 3x Vortex - Kills most wildlife in 1 hit, low recharge, high damage, disorients hunter teams

Level 2 - 3x Lightning Strike - Self explanatory, 1-hit KO for enemies with 2 strikes

Level 3 - Games normally don't last this long, but I'll take level 3 aftershock.

I'm 7-0 now, but need to actually take Banshee mines so I can level them up :(

• Locked thread