Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilifinicus posted:

OWAs only available if you're on company network

Is this a policy that got implemented like last spring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

http://www.quirksmode.org./blog/archives/2015/02/chrome_continue.html

quote:

Chrome continues to fall apart at brisk pace

Google Chrome is not the default browser on Android 4.3+. There are now at least eight Chromium-based Android default browsers, and they are all subtly, though not wildly, different

Ahh, the wonders of OEM's doing their own thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of the time when I was working at big UK retail bank and a web dev comes over to me and asks me what the user agent string is for Android. Twenty minutes later he still didn't understand. Oh Android.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
What's the best way to automatically backup photos to Drive? I previously had auto backup enabled for G+ but prefer to have files saved in a Drive folder so I can have a local copy synced as well.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I use Autosync for Google Drive. It does exactly what it says on the tin: point it at a local folder and a Google Drive folder, and it'll sync any which way you like. Pro version lets you do this with more than one folder, too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there anything that can push a file to an android device over wifi, without going through a server like Pushbullet? I'd like to be able to push files to my tablet from my laptop without having to grab the tablet, but if it's not possible, then no big deal.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there anything that can push a file to an android device over wifi, without going through a server like Pushbullet? I'd like to be able to push files to my tablet from my laptop without having to grab the tablet, but if it's not possible, then no big deal.

ES File Explorer can turn your device into a FTP server - turn it on, punch in the provided address on your laptop, do your thing, shut it down. You'd have to pick up your tablet to start the server or just leave it running all the time though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In conjunction with OS X you can use an app called Droid NAS that allows your Android to show up in Finder. Post-10,8 you'll have to manually input the server the first time in Finder.

Of course both this and isndi's suggestion of FTP using ES don't help you as you'll have to grab the device to activate the server. As far as I know there's no way to have an idle, out of reach device listen for you to send it anything. Unless you want to constantly run some service to do so, you're going to need to rely on something that uses Google's push service and thus need it to transit the internet.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can push files via wireless ADB.

You'll have to restart the ADB daemon on the tablet every time either device rejoins the Wi-Fi network, not sure if there would be a way to automate that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Or just use Dropbox/Google Drive. :)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Or just use Dropbox/Google Drive. :)
He specifically asked for a way to move (presumably large) files around over the local network.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Yeah, it's not a big deal. I tried pushing a file through Pushbullet last night but it was too big, so I thought there might be a more direct way. I'll just continue to pull files from the tablet on the rare occasion that I have a large file to transfer.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah, it's not a big deal. I tried pushing a file through Pushbullet last night but it was too big, so I thought there might be a more direct way. I'll just continue to pull files from the tablet on the rare occasion that I have a large file to transfer.

Airdroid?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

spincube posted:

I use Autosync for Google Drive. It does exactly what it says on the tin: point it at a local folder and a Google Drive folder, and it'll sync any which way you like. Pro version lets you do this with more than one folder, too.

Are there any free alternatives or is this pretty much it? Kinda strange that there aren't more apps that have this functionality (not to mention that Drive doesn't have its own feature that does this).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

UncleGuito posted:

Are there any free alternatives or is this pretty much it? Kinda strange that there aren't more apps that have this functionality (not to mention that Drive doesn't have its own feature that does this).

You could use Dropbox if you're not married to Drive. The app automatically backs up your photos and does it well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

Use IFTTT

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
BitTorrent Sync will use wifi when available, and it's very easy to use (create link on host computer, scan QR code or email link to client computer(s)). It does mean you need to install software on the host machine, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to get a recommendation for a voice/sound recorder app.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Easy Voice Recorder Pro.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a different Android Wear app for Lollipop? Since upgrading, my notifications on my watch are hosed and I assume it has something to do with these new priority rules in 5.0. The "Mute connected phone" option in the app doesn't do anything anymore and muting my phone mutes the watch notifications now too. They seemed to have bungled things up with Wear and Lollipop and I'm a little disappointed so far.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

gradenko_2000 posted:

I use Recforge II and it does everything I want it to do.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

UncleGuito posted:

FWIW if time isn't a pressing factor you could always stick with G+ and see what happens with the Photos decoupling/revamp which drops later in the year. All signs point to it becoming what you want: It's being lead by the former head of Photoshop (who himself admits G+ Photos doesn't make much sense) and they acquired a phone-to-PC photo syncing product over the weekend. Should be sooner rather than later too since in Lollipop Google+ Photos has already been separated out into its own independent APK (at least on Nexus anyway).

explosivo posted:

Is there a different Android Wear app for Lollipop? Since upgrading, my notifications on my watch are hosed and I assume it has something to do with these new priority rules in 5.0. The "Mute connected phone" option in the app doesn't do anything anymore and muting my phone mutes the watch notifications now too. They seemed to have bungled things up with Wear and Lollipop and I'm a little disappointed so far.

No problems here, which Lollipop phone do you have?

Tried "Mute connected phone" and it works exactly how I remember it from the short time I used it in KitKat: Blocks sound and vibrate from all notifications except calls and alarms, disables when the watch is docked/charging. The only thing new is that it makes itself known in the 5.0 volume dialog:

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 9, 2015

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Is there a guide somewhere to making a bluetooth headset actually work with Android Skype? It's something I"ve been incapable of doing for years now and I'd really like to do it sometime.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vagrancy posted:

No problems here, which Lollipop phone do you have?

Tried "Mute connected phone" and it works exactly how I remember it from the short time I used it in KitKat: Blocks sound and vibrate from all notifications except calls and alarms, disables when the watch is docked/charging. The only thing new is that it makes itself known in the 5.0 volume dialog:

I have an S5, and that's strange because I definitely don't see the same kind of notification. What's stranger is now it seems like muting my phone has the same effect on my watch, where before I could mute the watch independently from my phone. I looked it up online and saw a bunch of other posts saying they were having similar problems, but they were all from a few months ago so I figured it was all patched out by now

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

explosivo posted:

I have an S5, and that's strange because I definitely don't see the same kind of notification. What's stranger is now it seems like muting my phone has the same effect on my watch, where before I could mute the watch independently from my phone. I looked it up online and saw a bunch of other posts saying they were having similar problems, but they were all from a few months ago so I figured it was all patched out by now

In stock/Google Lollipop the concept of "interruptions" subsumes the old ringer profile system. The new model is that you have two levers:

How do you want to be interrupted? (Sound + Vibrate + LED or Vibrate + LED)
Which notifications do you want to be interrupted by? (All, Priority or None)

Your problem stems from the fact that while Wear is built around this system, the US S5 has its own alternate Samsung layer on top of it (at least if this screenshot I found of the US versions volume gear menu is correct):

Samsung's "Mute" isn't the old mute, it's Lollipop's "No Interruptions" in disguise. So the UI algebra works out as:

"Sound" -> All Notifications interrupt on Wear and S5
"Vibrate" -> All Notifications interrupt on Wear and S5, Vibrate only on the S5.
"Mute" -> No Notifications interrupt on Wear and S5

(Out of curiosity what happens when you set priority on the watch?).

Seems like they were trying to "fix" the lack of Silent Mode, ended up not actually fixing anything and in the process broke the API Wear uses which would've allowed you to receive notifications just on the watch. Your only recourse is to wait for Samsung to fix what they broke and implement the 5.0 system properly.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
So, pocket casts currently has a horrible bug (at least for me on Nexus 5 stock 5.0.1), where it loses playback position regularly and restarts podcasts from the beginning. Even ones I only paused for 30 seconds. It's killing me.

I'm guessing it's related to the Lollipop memory bug, but the app isn't handling being shoved out of memory well.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or a fix?

Alternatively, are there any other competent podcast apps on Android outside of this and Beyondpod?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

BitTorrent Sync will use wifi when available, and it's very easy to use (create link on host computer, scan QR code or email link to client computer(s)). It does mean you need to install software on the host machine, though.

You don't even need to send out links do you? You can just have a synced folder on both tablet and Laptop I think.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wooger posted:

So, pocket casts currently has a horrible bug (at least for me on Nexus 5 stock 5.0.1), where it loses playback position regularly and restarts podcasts from the beginning. Even ones I only paused for 30 seconds. It's killing me.

I'm guessing it's related to the Lollipop memory bug, but the app isn't handling being shoved out of memory well.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or a fix?

Alternatively, are there any other competent podcast apps on Android outside of this and Beyondpod?

You don't even need to send out links do you? You can just have a synced folder on both tablet and Laptop I think.
I'm having the same problem. Did you report it to the developers?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'm using pocket casts on nexus 5 running lollipop and that's never happened to me. I use it for 5+ hours per day.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolfbiker posted:

I'm using pocket casts on nexus 5 running lollipop and that's never happened to me. I use it for 5+ hours per day.
Do you ever unpause it from the lockscreen? Every time it's happened to me, and it's quite frequent, it's because I pushed play on the lockscreen. It's never happened if I unlock and wait for the progress bar to accurately show the position and then unpause.

I don't think it has to do with memory, I think it has to do with Pocket Casts not updating the playback position when pausing. Like I said, when you open it you can see the progress bar "move" to the current position. I think using the lockscreen widget to unpause it bypasses that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
While I haven't had PocketCasts lose it's position, I do see a lot of funky behavior from all it's play controls. I don't currently have the PC widget on my homescreens but I would often see the lockscreen controls, the widget, and the actual app kind of "de-sync" and I'd have to try all three to see which one was going to stop the playback.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Require More Fire posted:

While I haven't had PocketCasts lose it's position, I do see a lot of funky behavior from all it's play controls. I don't currently have the PC widget on my homescreens but I would often see the lockscreen controls, the widget, and the actual app kind of "de-sync" and I'd have to try all three to see which one was going to stop the playback.

Same for me.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I actually don't have a lockscreen so maybe that's it.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

wooger posted:

I've definitely had this happen numerous times.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

wooger posted:

I don't think it's something lollipop related, because I sometimes get the same behavior on my Samsung tablet. Do you download the podcasts and then play them, or do you just stream them? I've never had it happen on my phone (Galaxy s4) where I usually download first before playing, but on my tablet I just stream.

Require More Fire posted:

Thermopyle posted:

Same for me.

This used to happen with Play Music for me when I had a phone that only had 1GB of RAM. Haven't it seen it since I got my GS4 though.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Do you ever unpause it from the lockscreen? Every time it's happened to me, and it's quite frequent, it's because I pushed play on the lockscreen. It's never happened if I unlock and wait for the progress bar to accurately show the position and then unpause.

I don't think it has to do with memory, I think it has to do with Pocket Casts not updating the playback position when pausing. Like I said, when you open it you can see the progress bar "move" to the current position. I think using the lockscreen widget to unpause it bypasses that.

This is also what is happening to me. I can't unpause from the lockscreen or it starts the podcast over. Also a Nexus 5, but I'm guessing LastinLine is right and it's not a hardware issue.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Chrome on Lollipop has been crashing on me multiple times the last few weeks

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

You guys are making me really happy that I use BeyondPod and only have to deal with it's non-intuitive UI

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The only problem I've run into with Pocket Casts on my N5 is that sometimes after being paused for a while, I can't unpause it with my Bluetooth headphones' play/pause button. I then proceed to unlock my phone and hit play, where it picks up right where I left off.

I listen close to eight hours a day, but by "paused for a while" I mean 20-30+ minutes.

I download rather than stream, and have enough podcasts to require listening at 1.5 speed to keep from falling behind despite only keeping one episode of some (daily news stuff) podcasts at a time.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 11, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

You guys are making me really happy that I use BeyondPod and only have to deal with it's non-intuitive UI
I'll admit I really like the look of the modern BeyondPod. If I weren't married to the Pocket Casts web player I'd give a try.

Also when it comes to unintuitive UI I'd have a tough time thinking it's worse than Pocket Casts. The playlist function in PC is bizarre and even I don't understand exactly what it's trying to do. I don't dislike PC by any means, but I do feel it could use a rethink for specific use cases.

Hopefully whenever they catch up with Material Design they'll address stuff like the playlist/now playing being opaque and the weird way smart playlists work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

LastInLine posted:

I'll admit I really like the look of the modern BeyondPod. If I weren't married to the Pocket Casts web player I'd give a try.

Also when it comes to unintuitive UI I'd have a tough time thinking it's worse than Pocket Casts. The playlist function in PC is bizarre and even I don't understand exactly what it's trying to do. I don't dislike PC by any means, but I do feel it could use a rethink for specific use cases.

Hopefully whenever they catch up with Material Design they'll address stuff like the playlist/now playing being opaque and the weird way smart playlists work.

The back button exits the app in the new beyondpod.

• Locked thread