Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played the top team in our league tonight and was really looking forward to trying to beat them as they won in a close game last time. They have a notorious ringer on their team who can easily be playing a league above this one but I just try to match up with him so that I can cancel him out.

Their ringer scored quickly right off the bat. A few minutes later I took a shot from a bad angle close in and my winger got the rebound so we tied it up.

A few shifts later I was up against their ringer, behind him as he was trying to make a break into the neutral zone. As he caught a pass I lifted his stick, intercepted the puck and turned back into their zone. One of their guys was behind me and poked the puck further ahead. As I lunged forward to reach for the puck, the guy behind me leaned over me and collapsed his weight on top of me while I lunged.

Basically I was forced to stretch more than my body wanted to and it created instant shooting pain in the middle of my lower back. My first instinct was to stand straight up as if it would be able to shake it off but when I hustled to the puck behind the net I realized I was in excruciating pain with every stride and 10 fold when I had to stop. I was definitely out for the rest of the game. I tried to stretch to keep it loose and see if it was just a cramp but I'm fairly certain I slipped a disc seeing as the pain hasn't gone away with pain killers or cold/heat compresses.

Second time I've done it this year, both of which were playing hockey. Getting old sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Dale Meets Wall posted:

I carried the puck a lot more today in scrimmages just to try to force myself to practice and I pulled off a couple good moves and scored a pretty nice goal.

I've had the same thing when playing pick up. I always used to force myself to just get rid of the puck/ball whenever I got it even though I practice stickhandling at my house constantly. Lately I've tried to force myself to have some confidence and actually try to make a play if there's a play to be made and it makes a huge difference. I think self-confidence is a skill, especially at lower levels in any sport.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Treating the puck like a grenade is the biggest mistake I see myself and other initiates making, I've slowly started getting better about it but I still tend to cough it up pretty easily when under pressure. In the rare situation where I actually have a fraction of a second to look around I've made some pretty good passes that trigger some good offense.. sorts of things that can't happen without some patience.

The way I see it the only way to get really good at protecting the puck is to actually try to protect the drat thing.. if you're in a clinic or a scrimmage or whatever and you chop at the puck every single time you'll never get experience at it and do even worse in an actual game.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Nitramster posted:

Acethomas and I played tonight. Our team was down 0-2 with 10 to go and we rallied back to win it 4-2. I was involved in 2 of them, playing center. First was a 2-on-1 break where the winger was leading and took a shot, rebounded to me, I took a shot and it rebounded to him and he put it in the wide open net, I get no fist bump from the dude. Second I'm fighting to screen the goalie, the defenders couldn't get me out of the way and the same shooter puts it in another wide open net, again no love.

This might cause a locker room rift, one of us is gonna have to be dealt by the trade-deadline, I feel it.

I got fist bumps on the three of them I was out there for, the key is yell Wooooo really loud, glide on one skate with your fist out and scream gently caress yeah, then they basically have to give you one. We can practice at stick time.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Anyone hitting the PBR Pond Hockey Tournament in Colorado this coming weekend?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think we may be going back next year...

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Is that the event where Turgid State first showed up? I still chuckle about those jerseys.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yes!

Those are my favorite go-to stick time jerseys. Those and the PBR jersey we got from the tournament.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

xzzy posted:

Treating the puck like a grenade is the biggest mistake I see myself and other initiates making, I've slowly started getting better about it but I still tend to cough it up pretty easily when under pressure. In the rare situation where I actually have a fraction of a second to look around I've made some pretty good passes that trigger some good offense.. sorts of things that can't happen without some patience.

The way I see it the only way to get really good at protecting the puck is to actually try to protect the drat thing.. if you're in a clinic or a scrimmage or whatever and you chop at the puck every single time you'll never get experience at it and do even worse in an actual game.
Also worth noting: It's almost always better to eat the puck along the boards or something and make the other team fight it out of your hands than it is to throw it away haphazardly and give them a quick counterattack. (This is a bigger deal when you're playing full contact: take the hit; make them earn the puck.) Neutral zone turnovers in particular are bad because your team is probably busting rear end down the ice looking for you to give them the goal, and now they have to turn back and backcheck.

There are a lot of puck protect drills, but if you're just starting, one of my favorites is easy and can be done at stick and puck: Take a puck and go to a faceoff circle. Have your buddy drop his stick outside, and have him try to get the puck/you out of the circle. Forces you to use your body and quick pivots to puck protect.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
The worst thing about developing confidence with the puck are your idiot beer league teammates. Even at the NHL level coaches and players often don't understand the value of puck possession and the selective process by which the brain tends to prioritize mistakes over successes, so you can imagine what it's like with your typical weekend warrior. This is magnified if you play defense (as I do). I'm pretty loving happy with my defensive ability (I rely on stickwork and positioning rather than physicality, but I consistently make the small, detail plays that break up rushes or scoring chances - tipping passes/shots, driving guys to harmless areas of the ice, etc..), but I am at my best when I'm jumping in and contributing to the offense. Yet, for all of the plays I will make in a game, at both ends of the ice, all it takes is one unfortunate turnover in a vulnerable position for some genius to advise me that I should hang back more, or just try to clear the puck (eg: give it away) instead of attempting to make a play. And as much as I try not to let it, it almost invariably affects how I play, even when I know better. It doesn't help that one of the guys on my team (also D) is a loving man child when he gets frustrated, and will literally scream from the bench. This past Friday, I tried to bank a puck off the boards from my goal line to a veering forward in the neutral zone, and it rolled off my stick at the last second, resulting in a weak bank pass right to a forechecker entering our zone. And suddenly I hear, "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING?" Mind, at this point, I've been on the ice for 1 goal against but had assisted on another, and he was a -3, and had taken a penalty that had led to another. But drat if he's not going to get upset at everyone else. And as much as I try not to let it and know I shouldn't let it - I let it affect my game, and I think that pisses me off more than anything.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

PFlats posted:

There are a lot of puck protect drills, but if you're just starting, one of my favorites is easy and can be done at stick and puck: Take a puck and go to a faceoff circle. Have your buddy drop his stick outside, and have him try to get the puck/you out of the circle. Forces you to use your body and quick pivots to puck protect.

I do really well on drills like this but not so good in games. I think it might help to run the drill with 2 defensemen or just with less space (up against the boards or net), but I have no idea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I do okay in puck protection drills too.

I think it's the game pressure that's missing, you need to be able to collect the puck from somewhere that's potentially awkward, avoid another skater who really, really wants to steal it from you, and find a teammate to cleanly send the puck towards.

3v3 cross ice is the best training I've come across for that sort of work. Well, and normal games.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Yeah, any small game that limits time and space will by default make you work on puck protection.

It's not easily done outside of a real practice, but even better is to move a net into the comer of the ice, giving yourself about a crease and a half to two creasess worth of space. Put a goalie in net, have a coach dump a puck into the corner, and play 1 on 1. Can't imagine how you'd do all that with beer league resources, though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've posted in here before I think but if you have a dog that's ball-crazy just playing keep away with a hockey stick and a tennis ball in a big area is really helpful for hands work. Obviously it's not as good as practicing on ice but it's something you can do every day and your dog will love you for it too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My dog always just tried to eat my stick instead.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Guys I loving did it, I finally hockey stopped! I went to public skate at lunch and just started going blue line to blue line doing one-foot snow plows and turning/leaning into them more and more and eventually my back foot just kind of naturally came along for the ride. They're not the greatest and I almost fell a bunch of times, but I feel like I've crossed a major hurdle. I just skated around the rink like a grinning idiot stopping on every line and dot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think the best feeling of my beer league career was successfully doing my first hockey stop. Congrats!

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Hockey seasons can be weird... This season my team can't score worth poo poo... As of last night we're 5th out of 6 teams in our division. That's entirely to a 4-1 record against the 3rd place team and a 1-8-3 against the rest of the division. We look and wonder how that 3rd place team beats anyone and they beat the good teams and we keep beating them including a 7-2 win last night.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

prom candy posted:

Guys I loving did it, I finally hockey stopped! I went to public skate at lunch and just started going blue line to blue line doing one-foot snow plows and turning/leaning into them more and more and eventually my back foot just kind of naturally came along for the ride. They're not the greatest and I almost fell a bunch of times, but I feel like I've crossed a major hurdle. I just skated around the rink like a grinning idiot stopping on every line and dot.

Now do it leading with the other foot.

I was run over by a guy three times in a game with no calls, and after the game his response was, "Sorry I can only stop the one direction." Don't be that guy.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Benson Cunningham posted:

Now do it leading with the other foot.

I was run over by a guy three times in a game with no calls, and after the game his response was, "Sorry I can only stop the one direction." Don't be that guy.

Already started working on it today, I've been trying to be diligent about making sure I learn all my techniques both ways since I figure it'll be easier to learn now than later. It feels really weird and uncomfortable but I can already kinda one-foot snowplow on my bad side.

Also how is only being able to stop on one side an excuse for crashing into someone? Just... stop on that side?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

do what i did and learn to stop on the outside edge of your strong foot facing your weak direction rather than loving with your weak side

Nitramster posted:

Acethomas and I played tonight. Our team was down 0-2 with 10 to go and we rallied back to win it 4-2.

drat my dinner ran late, was going to try to see this game. that team you played has a ton of the people from the tuesday drop in that I can't seem to get you guys added to (sorry!!). But that's like half of the skill level, then the other 40% is lower copper (next level up), then i gently caress around and skate quarter speed and set dudes up and stop the other strong skater or two that join.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 11, 2015

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
I just had a moment of clarity shooting around in my basement. I can now add spin to saucer passes and somewhat on wrist shots. I had been to able to elevate passes and shoot pretty hard, but never was able to snap and get spin on the puck and tonight it just clicked. I get to try it out in my instructional league tonight on ice so we'll see how that goes.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Started my 3rd clinic on Saturday, no longer attending the Learn to Skate classes (was told there's no point anymore).

Feeling pretty good about my progress but can easily see there is a lot of room for improvement. It's weird though, I don't find that frustrating as much as I find it exciting.

I have a question of opinion for you though. I need to get some new pants, the ones I have were from the bargain bin and cost 25 bucks, they've done the job but they are bulky as hell and I am going to replace them. I have been setting aside money to buy some good pants but offerings are limited here. It seems to go from the low price point straight to the high price point.

So the three I'm looking at are:

Reebok 20k
Easton Synergy HSX
Bauer Vapor APX2

The Pro-Shop guy recommends the stuff he uses, the Easton Synergy HSX, and it'll come down to which ones feel more comfortable when I try them on, but thought I'd get some feedback from the forum on experiences/mileage.
Before someone asks, shipping is out of the question. The price to ship here puts a mid range set of pants above the price of the three I've posted.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I have little experience but I use Easton Mako 75s from a year or 2 ago, and I really like them. I'm had no problems taking the minimal contact and shots that I have, but I have never felt they were in the way of any movements. I got them pretty drat cheap, but I guess that doesn't matter in your case.

sellouts posted:

do what i did and learn to stop on the outside edge of your strong foot facing your weak direction rather than loving with your weak side

drat my dinner ran late, was going to try to see this game. that team you played has a ton of the people from the tuesday drop in that I can't seem to get you guys added to (sorry!!). But that's like half of the skill level, then the other 40% is lower copper (next level up), then i gently caress around and skate quarter speed and set dudes up and stop the other strong skater or two that join.

It was a pretty lame game till our team started passing clean in the 3rd. I did speak up during the intermission and tell them to stop skating with their sticks at their hips, so I'm going to take credit for that too.

We had 2 new team members. Our goalie, who was 16; his parents helped him put his gear on in the stands. He also didn't skate over during intermissions or talk before or after the game, so I made it a point to go over to him and tell him he was doing great and in the 3rd not to take any risks and cover the puck up (he was pretty shaky and kept wanting to shove pucks away with his stick.) The other was a younger guy who looked around 21 (he said he was of drinking age so.. yea) and it was his first game and he had a few months of skating experience, so I wasn't the n00b on the team anymore, and I gave him some advice on how to handle his first game.

I should have an A on my jersey, I was such a "positive locker room/bench guy" :feelsgood:

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 11, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

I'm having trouble picturing this... like you're dragging on the outside edge of your back foot? Also one thing I just realized is that I shoot right by my strong foot is my right one, so my strong side stop is going to leave me on my backhand, is that common?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

I'm having trouble picturing this... like you're dragging on the outside edge of your back foot? Also one thing I just realized is that I shoot right by my strong foot is my right one, so my strong side stop is going to leave me on my backhand, is that common?

T-stops demonstrate it really well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8CWdQyYxzc

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

take a normal hockey stop with 2 feet. don't press down on your lead, forward foot. instead your back foot cuts into the ice at a reverse angle, so it's actually the outside edge moving towards the inside cutting the ice.

don't actually do this, but this is how i cheated forever ago.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
I recently accepted a full-time job offer in Melbourne, Florida so I'm looking to play some hockey at the Space Coast Iceplex in Rockledge! I don't start until June, but was wondering if anyone is from that area. I'll be getting out to everything I can on the ice, and playing in the lowest-level division there.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

sellouts posted:

take a normal hockey stop with 2 feet. don't press down on your lead, forward foot. instead your back foot cuts into the ice at a reverse angle, so it's actually the outside edge moving towards the inside cutting the ice.

don't actually do this, but this is how i cheated forever ago.

I feel like you're overcomplicating the explanation - it sounds like you're just describing a stop on the back foot?

FWIW I think most people find this more difficult than learning to stop with the weak foot in the lead. I know I do. No problem stopping on my lead foot on both sides, but the back foot stop I can just barely do - oddly enough - with my weak side (right).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The issue with stopping on the outside edge is you can't really modulate the angle.. you either dig the edge in, or you dig the edge in more.

Yeah you can stand up more straight to put less edge into the ice, but then it's not really a hockey stop anymore.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yes I agree it's harder and not valid advice

i don't know what a back foot stop is but if it's that then cool!

Edit this convo is stupid and I'm sorry for saying anything but I don't understand how you can't regulate an angle doing it

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 11, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, it sounds like a great way to learn really fast, like jumping into the deep end of a pool to learn to swim.

Except on skates you either fall hard or stop.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

sellouts posted:

yes I agree it's harder and not valid advice

i don't know what a back foot stop is but if it's that then cool!

Edit this convo is stupid and I'm sorry for saying anything but I don't understand how you can't regulate an angle doing it

I mean just in the sense that you're stopping on your back foot, instead of your front foot or both (like a hockey stop should technically be done, though I haven't gotten that far yet). I've also heard it called a figure skating stop or, as mentioned already, a t-stop (except that when you get good at them you're not in the T anymore).

I don't think this conversation is stupid, but I agree that you should apologize.

Just in general.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've decided that cheaper is better with pants. they are lighter and give you better range of motion and you don't need that much padding for beer league anyway

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I bought new shin guards today so part of me is now hyperaware of how much of a money sink this hobby will end up being with constant desire for new gear, but the other part of me doesn't give a poo poo because these actually fit properly and I can't wait to see how they feel on the ice.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

I don't know, it sounds like a great way to learn really fast, like jumping into the deep end of a pool to learn to swim.

Except on skates you either fall hard or stop.

Come on man, it's literally a Beta skill in ISI classes. Hardly the deep end.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Deadly Intersection posted:

I recently accepted a full-time job offer in Melbourne, Florida so I'm looking to play some hockey at the Space Coast Iceplex in Rockledge! I don't start until June, but was wondering if anyone is from that area. I'll be getting out to everything I can on the ice, and playing in the lowest-level division there.
Sadly I don't, I do know that there's also a rink up in Daytona that's not supposed to be too bad but I've never physically skated there.

Welcome to hockey in Florida, where there's a shitload of snowbirds and guys who've played for 50 years and you'll never really find any good hockey shops.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

xryokus posted:

Started my 3rd clinic on Saturday, no longer attending the Learn to Skate classes (was told there's no point anymore).

Feeling pretty good about my progress but can easily see there is a lot of room for improvement. It's weird though, I don't find that frustrating as much as I find it exciting.

I have a question of opinion for you though. I need to get some new pants, the ones I have were from the bargain bin and cost 25 bucks, they've done the job but they are bulky as hell and I am going to replace them. I have been setting aside money to buy some good pants but offerings are limited here. It seems to go from the low price point straight to the high price point.

So the three I'm looking at are:

Reebok 20k
Easton Synergy HSX
Bauer Vapor APX2

The Pro-Shop guy recommends the stuff he uses, the Easton Synergy HSX, and it'll come down to which ones feel more comfortable when I try them on, but thought I'd get some feedback from the forum on experiences/mileage.
Before someone asks, shipping is out of the question. The price to ship here puts a mid range set of pants above the price of the three I've posted.

If you're worried about bulkiness, just go with a girdle and shell. WAY more mobile and much lighter.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Teeter posted:

I bought new shin guards today so part of me is now hyperaware of how much of a money sink this hobby will end up being with constant desire for new gear, but the other part of me doesn't give a poo poo because these actually fit properly and I can't wait to see how they feel on the ice.

Hobbies are really only fun if they have a super expensive gear fetishism component to go along with them. See you guys in the cycling/guitar megathreads and then later on in my own "i'm living under a mountain of gear-debt" Finance and Careers thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should get into photography, too. :homebrew: