Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just checking in to say that my nexus 6 is still great and getting multi day battery on lollipop. No problems at all, smart lock owns.

Also, just got married, so y'all will be rid of me for a while during our honeymoon.

You'll all be running custom roms by the time I get back, won't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Nope, stock on Nexus 6 is too nice to go loving it up with a custom ROM! Also agreed on smart lock, so convenient.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

RZA Encryption posted:

...my nexus 6 is still great and getting multi day battery on lollipop...

What is this magic? I get through a day, no problem. But two days or more? How do you manage?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
By not using it very much. The standby on the Nexus 6 is pretty good, so if you have extremely limited screen on time, I could see getting two days out of it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Just checking in to say that my nexus 6 is still great and getting multi day battery on lollipop. No problems at all, smart lock owns.

Also, just got married, so y'all will be rid of me for a while during our honeymoon.

You'll all be running custom roms by the time I get back, won't you?
Congrats, man!

Tunga posted:

Mine is like this and I have no clue what is using the battery because it just straight up doesn't tell me. The Battery screen will add up to like 25% and my battery will be down 50%. Phone is almost permanently warm to the touch where the CPU is (below camera). I've tried killing every app I can find running, restarting the phone, uninstalling apps I don't need that seem to be running, disabling location services, messing around with Wi-fi settings, disabling Tasker, and other stuff. I just have no idea what else to try beyond factory resetting the thing.

The best part is that it randomly starts and stops doing this for no reason that I can determine. It'll be fine and then a few hours or a day later it's warm again and draining fast. Then it just stops and goes back to normal. It's been bad since about 16:00 yesterday but probably by this evening it'll stop again.

Mostly it doesn't bother me because my phone is rarely unplugged for more than 3-4 hours. But when it is I have to carry a battery pack with me because I never know when it'll decide to pull this poo poo.
I've had my N5 get hot and drain fast but it's always been Play Services running amok and with a restart it's back to normal. It happens maybe once a month, certainly no more than that. (I should mention right here that it did this under KitKat and Jelly Bean too, it's not unique to Lollipop.)

Does this happen on a totally stock device with no apps installed? I can't help but feel it's an app issue.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 11, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

My N5 has terrible battery life with Lollipop, can't quite believe that google have releases the update and left it this long with obvious bugs like this.

Would not recommend it to anyone right now, though its been fine since release.
Mine is like this and I have no clue what is using the battery because it just straight up doesn't tell me. The Battery screen will add up to like 25% and my battery will be down 50%. Phone will go for long periods where it is warm to the touch where the CPU is located (below camera). I've tried killing every app I can find running, restarting the phone, uninstalling apps I don't need, disabling location services, messing around with Wi-fi settings, disabling Tasker, and a bunch of other stuff. I just have no idea what else to try beyond factory resetting the thing. The battery screen is now entirely useless for resolving these issues.

The best part is that it randomly starts and stops doing this for no reason that I can determine. It'll be fine and then a few hours or a day later it's warm again and draining fast. Then it just stops and goes back to normal. It's been bad since about 16:00 yesterday but probably by this evening it'll stop again.

Mostly it doesn't bother me because my phone is rarely unplugged for more than 3-4 hours. But when it is I have to carry a battery pack with me because I never know when it'll decide to pull this poo poo.

I guess I'll have to re-root the drat thing and see if one of the battery stats apps can help me figure it out.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My guess is some piece of poo poo app keeping a huge wakelock on your phone or something.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I've had my N5 get hot and drain fast but it's always been Play Services running amok and with a restart it's back to normal. It happens maybe once a month, certainly no more than that. (I should mention right here that it did this under KitKat and Jelly Bean too, it's not unique to Lollipop.)
When was your N5 running Jelly Bean?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
What sucks is how awesome preview image 1's battery life was and how awful they managed to make it by the time the official image landed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

When was your N5 running Jelly Bean?
I honestly couldn't remember if launched on 4.3 or 4.4 so I guessed. v :) v

Although now that I think about it every Nexus I've ever had has had that problem going back to when they first abstracted Play Services so it all blends together. It doesn't sound like Tunga's issue though, as it definitely shows in the battery stats that it's just keeping the device awake.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

My guess is some piece of poo poo app keeping a huge wakelock on your phone or something.
My issue is not so much "Google, why you are killing my battery" because it may well be some third-party app causing it. My issue is "Google, why is the battery usage screen complete garbage?"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

My issue with Google is not so much "Google you are killing my battery"" because it may well be some third-party app causing it. My issue with Google is "Google why is the battery usage screen complete garbage?"
Hasn't that always been the case? Basically a third party app is calling some Android system process so every time it goes out of control it's always "Android System" fingered as the culprit. Now I think they just hide that since it tells you nothing, but then the problem was it told you nothing before only people didn't think that was the case so they (logically) blamed Android since that's what it says in the list.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
My Note 3 is on it's last leg I think (Major screen burn in about 1/8th of the screen is now yellow...), and other various issues I have had with this phone. Can anyone recommend a good used phone I should be on the lookout for or should I just buy one outright (I have a unlimited data plan on Verizon which I pretty much abuse all the time), I am interested in either the Nexus 6 or the Drioid Trubo if buying new but for used I have no idea.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sirbloody posted:

My Note 3 is on it's last leg I think (Major screen burn in about 1/8th of the screen is now yellow...), and other various issues I have had with this phone. Can anyone recommend a good used phone I should be on the lookout for or should I just buy one outright (I have a unlimited data plan on Verizon which I pretty much abuse all the time), I am interested in either the Nexus 6 or the Drioid Trubo if buying new but for used I have no idea.
The Droid Turbo and the Nexus 6 are great phones. I'd pick the N6 on looks but you can't go wrong with either one.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So if anybody is looking for a phone with good battery life but doesn't want to break the bank, the ridiculous Blu Studio Energy is $150 on amazon. 5000mah battery in a 5" phone, but runs an older Mediatek cpu. Still, not a bad phone if you're in need of something cheap.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My N5 is about 2 steps from completely unusable on 5.0.1. So bad that I've been trolling CL and the likes to swoop in on an N6 deal.
- Battery life is horrid
- I have to reboot it every 2 to 3 days so I can have Maps and *gasp* Music going or it will kill one or the other
- App switching after a couple days is glacial. Same with launcher redraws. Oh, sometimes it kills my alarm clock app randomly so I've had to plug in my old HTC Sensation with a shattered screen to use it as an alarm clock.

Just when I thought iOS 7 on my ancient iPhone 4 was the worst mobile experience ever imagined Google pulls this.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 11, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I didn't think 5.0.2 was out yet for the 5. Have you tried a factory reset?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My N5 is about 2 steps from completely unusable on 5.0.2. So bad that I've been trolling CL and the likes to swoop in on an N6 deal.
- Battery life is horrid
- I have to reboot it every 2 to 3 days so I can have Maps and *gasp* Music going or it will kill one or the other
- App switching after a couple days is glacial. Same with launcher redraws. Oh, sometimes it kills my alarm clock app randomly so I've had to plug in my old HTC Sensation with a shattered screen to use it as an alarm clock.

Just when I thought iOS 7 on my ancient iPhone 4 was the worst mobile experience ever imagined Google pulls this.

Do you mean on 5.0.1 or do you mean you're using some ROM on 5.0.2?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Hasn't that always been the case?
Yes, but battery stats apps didn't used to require root, so it was irrelevant.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My N5 is about 2 steps from completely unusable on 5.0.2. So bad that I've been trolling CL and the likes to swoop in on an N6 deal.
- Battery life is horrid

Yep, this is mine too. Maybe not quite as bad as yours but I have to reboot it every few days to keep it running smoothly.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
You guys must be mistaken. LastinLine's phone works just great, yours should too! :v:

Motorola was smart to hold off their lollipop updates until they fixed some of the nastyness.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You guys must be mistaken. LastinLine's phone works just great, yours should too! :v:

I have the reboot once every ~3 days to stop the memory leak thing, but no battery complaints :dealwithit:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you mean on 5.0.1 or do you mean you're using some ROM on 5.0.2?

Whoops, 5.01. N7 is on 5.0.2. You're right.

butt dickus posted:

I didn't think 5.0.2 was out yet for the 5. Have you tried a factory reset?
Yeah I've tried a factory reset. Twice now. Third was a clean wipe and image flash from Google's Nexus page. :(

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its a pain but I find wiping the cache from recovery helps, I usually do it once a week or so

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Motorola was smart to hold off their lollipop updates until they fixed some of the nastyness.
To be fair, I don't run high memory applications simultaneously so the memory leak has never affected me.

Also Motorola released Lollipop for the 2014 Moto X, 2014 Moto G, and the 2013 Moto G and these problems have not affected those devices either.

Considering 5.1 is coming out on Android One devices soon I imagine the fix is around the corner but I do understand that's cold comfort to those having issues. Of course, these are Nexuses so it's trivial to flash back to KitKat and wait if the problems are causing too much pain.

Edit: Does the alarm clock not working affect apps that use the 5.0 Alarm API like Timely? Seems like it shouldn't.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 11, 2015

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My N5 is about 2 steps from completely unusable on 5.0.1. So bad that I've been trolling CL and the likes to swoop in on an N6 deal.
- Battery life is horrid

All of this for me too. If 5.1 doesn't fix it I'm probably going to end up throwing it or myself) through the nearest window

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Skarsnik posted:

Its a pain but I find wiping the cache from recovery helps, I usually do it once a week or so

Is this any different from just wiping it from the app manager screen?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm basically peak Android Retard Sperg, and 5.0.2 is terrible on my N5. Music random stops playing if it's in the background, the battery barely lasts a day of use, and the phone just grinds to a halt after three or four days of use. It's really terrible. I've reflashed it a few times and it's never gotten any better.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Same here. I went back to KitKat on my N5 because Lollipop was a total shitshow.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skarsnik posted:

I shouldn't ever have to do this let alone reboot every 2-3 days. Neither are an acceptable solution for regular people in 2015.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm not disagreeing with you in any way, just saying that helps

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Is this any different from just wiping it from the app manager screen?

not a clue

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Skarsnik posted:

not a clue

Interesting, just that seems like a simpler way to accomplish the same thing, if in fact they are the same thing

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I shouldn't ever have to do this let alone reboot every 2-3 days. Neither are an acceptable solution for regular people in 2015.

This is true and is something Google needs to get on top of.

The weird trick that puts a 2012 Nexus 7 back in order? Well, root+busybox bullshit, unfortunately.
code:
fstrim -v /data
(also /cache might help - I suppose /system can too on some devices but root+busybox leaves you with literally no /system left on a 2012 Nexus 7 on the 5.0.2 factory image and rooting leaves an Android 5 device tilted (in the pinball sense) anyway so I hope you got a source for factory images! - and the -v is just the verbose flag but you're done when it returns zero so it's useful)

My concern about that isn't so much that it's none too diligent about storage upkeep (even if it'd be a supercomputer ten years ago it's still a tiny little phone brain) but that based on device behavior it seems to be doing stuff it only sort of doesn't care about in the onboard NAND's "don't care" land. Or it's got absurd write amplification. Either one sets sirens off in my head.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 11, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, booting into recovery and wiping the cache makes a DRAMATIC difference on my N9 (especially in chrome). It also takes about 20 minutes to wipe which it really shouldn't do.

There's something odd going on with the cache since lollipop.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, I don't run high memory applications simultaneously so the memory leak has never affected me.

Also Motorola released Lollipop for the 2014 Moto X, 2014 Moto G, and the 2013 Moto G and these problems have not affected those devices either.

Considering 5.1 is coming out on Android One devices soon I imagine the fix is around the corner but I do understand that's cold comfort to those having issues. Of course, these are Nexuses so it's trivial to flash back to KitKat and wait if the problems are causing too much pain.

Edit: Does the alarm clock not working affect apps that use the 5.0 Alarm API like Timely? Seems like it shouldn't.

The lollipop memory bugs absolutely affected the 2014 Moto G. It took Motorola two additional more lollipop updates to fix that.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

bull3964 posted:

It also takes about 20 minutes to wipe which it really shouldn't do.

Uh yeah it definitely shouldn't be taking your nexus 9 20 minutes to wipe cache.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't suppose there's any way to leverage a Verizon upgrade into a Nexus phone? I haven't kept up with new phones since I got my Razr Droid Maxx HD two years ago. I'm broke and I'd like to keep it except it recently started disconnecting the SIM card all the time. Every time I want to call or text I have to reboot and I have maybe an hour before it will disconnect again. I have an upgrade so I figure I pretty much need a new phone (unless someone has an idea for how to fix it... I've tried re-inserting the SIM card, can't think of anything else to try). What's good these days on Verizon? Battery life is my #1 concern, don't care about the camera.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't suppose there's any way to leverage a Verizon upgrade into a Nexus phone? I haven't kept up with new phones since I got my Razr Droid Maxx HD two years ago. I'm broke and I'd like to keep it except it recently started disconnecting the SIM card all the time. Every time I want to call or text I have to reboot and I have maybe an hour before it will disconnect again. I have an upgrade so I figure I pretty much need a new phone (unless someone has an idea for how to fix it... I've tried re-inserting the SIM card, can't think of anything else to try). What's good these days on Verizon? Battery life is my #1 concern, don't care about the camera.

Droid Turbo, or wait a couple of weeks for the rumoured N6 Verizon release.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Nexus 6 might be showing up in Verizon store any day now, so you can probably upgrade to it. Droid Turbo is also a fine-rear end phone and very nearly stock. These are my 2 recommendations on Verizon. The Turbo has the best battery life you're likely to get.

Alternately, Note 4 is a very nice phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The lollipop memory bugs absolutely affected the 2014 Moto G. It took Motorola two additional more lollipop updates to fix that.

Seconding this, my 2014 was a pile of poo poo with Lollipop just like the Nexus 5 was so I upgraded to a working phone with 4.4 on it haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Magog posted:

Uh yeah it definitely shouldn't be taking your nexus 9 20 minutes to wipe cache.

It's a documented bug right now and it doesn't seem to be device specific. Apparently it's been happening since KitKat on the N5.