Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Haven't traveled since mid November. Almost miss it.

I start 70% travel again in two weeks :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Did anyone actually get this promotion credited? http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps/mileageplus/promotions/registrationDetails.aspx?promoCode=A14591&POS=US

I had a qualifying flight on January 12th, and still nothing...

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Yeah the airlines have my cell number because it needs it to be recognized for the elite hotlines. Otherwise, you have to end up inputting your FF#, which is incredibly difficult given that UA/AA now uses letters too and involves trying to get their lovely voice recognition software to understand.

Of course, with UA, like their entire company and system, you can just use your old legacy CO FFP and everyone still works. Even though it's not supposed to.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

AdrenalinG posted:

Of course, with UA, like their entire company and system, you can just use your old legacy CO FFP and everyone still works. Even though it's not supposed to.

I think it's the other way around: all the sUA numbers got moved to sCO accounts.

In any event, I got the magic e-mail last night: time to look at tickets to PEK in May. :getin:

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I decided to open the FlyerTalk thread about Delta removing the awards chart and someone posted a quote from 1984 about oppression. Good stuff.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Arzakon posted:

I decided to open the FlyerTalk thread about Delta removing the awards chart and someone posted a quote from 1984 about oppression. Good stuff.

Removing the awards chart is bullshit, but I fail to see how it pertains to a book about authoritarianism.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 11, 2015

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mackieman posted:

I think it's the other way around: all the sUA numbers got moved to sCO accounts.

In any event, I got the magic e-mail last night: time to look at tickets to PEK in May. :getin:

What does the "s" stand for?

Also flights to China are super cheap at the moment because every carrier went overboard with capacity.

Flights have been hovering at 600-700 US roundtrip from CHI/NYC to PEK/PVG/HKG for a long time. Lowest I've seen is 450 US roundtrip from YVR to PVG on Delta, and that's been priced like that for at least a month. I think business class is something ridiculous like 1500-2000.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Does anyone here have experience with the travelpro brand of luggage? Are their products of good quality?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

puchu posted:

Does anyone here have experience with the travelpro brand of luggage? Are their products of good quality?

They're fine. Also take a look at Briggs and Riley, Tumi, and Rimowa.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

puchu posted:

Most of the flight attendants who live in my apartment complex (I live near SFO) use Travelpro. That being said, they use the FlightCrew4 which is generally only sold through airline private shops or online specialty shops - http://www.flightattendantshop.com/travelpro-flightcrew4-22-rollaboard/

I believe their Crew9 is supposed to be equivalent without a rear pocket that the Flightcrew4 has.

That being said, B&R is definitely where its at.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Pissingintowind posted:

They're fine. Also take a look at Briggs and Riley, Tumi, and Rimowa.

Tumi and Rimowa are a bit too pricey for me at the moment, but I'll take a look at B&R. I presume they'll also make carry on suiters?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

puchu posted:

Tumi and Rimowa are a bit too pricey for me at the moment, but I'll take a look at B&R. I presume they'll also make carry on suiters?

They are definitely a little pricey, but they make a fantastic suiter. They have a lifetime warranty - any issues you have with them, you can send back and they will fix it. So think about it as a 20 year purchase rather than a 2-5 year purchase.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
This is more of a back packing leisure thread, but none the less helpful

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415334

It's the travel gear thread. Some brands I recommend : Red Oxx Sky train, Tom Bihn Aeronauts (they used to make kick rear end laptop bags with flipped compartments)

If you can get access to a car quickly then I wouldn't care so much about wear and tear. The bags do look a lot more "technical" but they are super light and water proof. Besides, rollers take up a lot more weight and space

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
My 3 main bags are a Travelpro, a Red Oxx, and a Tumi. All have held up fine so far.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just note that the really high quality bags come with a hefty weight penalty, so if you're a poor like me who's under carry-on weight limits, think twice before you get a 3.8kg bag you'll primarily use on your 7kg limit carrier.

For that reason, I got a TravelPro Maxlite 20" Slimbody Rollaboard, which I've been pretty happy with. The retractable handle jams if it's stuffed too full, but that's about my only complaint.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Crew9 is a solid line from TravelPro but I think their lightweight stuff is kind of poo poo. I have had a Crew9 suiter for a bit over two years now, probably 300 segments with a mix of carry on and check, and it's been solid. Only had a zipper pull break. I usually shoot for 500 segments for bag life.

A B&R suiter will be my next bag, I think. The warranty is nice.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I've had a Delsey Helium aero carryon for a while now and it's been great for me. Very lightweight, and other than some scuffs on the outside, it's very durable too.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

AdrenalinG posted:

What does the "s" stand for?

Also flights to China are super cheap at the moment because every carrier went overboard with capacity.

Flights have been hovering at 600-700 US roundtrip from CHI/NYC to PEK/PVG/HKG for a long time. Lowest I've seen is 450 US roundtrip from YVR to PVG on Delta, and that's been priced like that for at least a month. I think business class is something ridiculous like 1500-2000.

The s is for subsidiary, as in legacy UA and legacy CO.

In other news, you can book any fare class on most carriers for pennies on the dollar by changing your billing country to Denmark at the moment. Lots of folks are booking up a storm but I'm wondering if these will get honored as providing an invalid billing address is cause to reject a transaction. Time will tell.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Mackieman posted:

The s is for subsidiary, as in legacy UA and legacy CO.

In other news, you can book any fare class on most carriers for pennies on the dollar by changing your billing country to Denmark at the moment. Lots of folks are booking up a storm but I'm wondering if these will get honored as providing an invalid billing address is cause to reject a transaction. Time will tell.

Yup, booked some SWISS First, Lufthansa First itineraries.

Finally got some revenge on UA for their devaluations this year. How do you like your breakfast cereal, Smisek!!!

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014
Does it make sense for me to get a Airline credit card for travel to gain access to lounges etc? I don't get to use my credit card to buy flights when I travel for work (about once a month from East Coast to West Coast) , but I do get to use my FF/Rewards number for any flights taken. Currently I'm racking up points on Delta, but starting to realize that I don't particularly like Delta. Is there a better airline I should be flying?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Lelorox posted:

Does it make sense for me to get a Airline credit card for travel to gain access to lounges etc? I don't get to use my credit card to buy flights when I travel for work (about once a month from East Coast to West Coast) , but I do get to use my FF/Rewards number for any flights taken. Currently I'm racking up points on Delta, but starting to realize that I don't particularly like Delta. Is there a better airline I should be flying?

If you're concerned about points, you probably shouldn't be flying with Delta. They are the worst program for fliers to redeem points.

However, Delta is usually considered the best airline to fly out of the big 3, so what you say worries me a bit.

If your travel is just east coast to west coast, consider maybe Virgin America. They are considered the best domestic airline. Limited route network but if you're flying NYC/WAS-SFO/LAX you're golden. JetBlue is decent as well, and companies might be able to buy the cheap Mint business-class seats they fly from JFK which start at around 500 one-way and are considered the best domestic airline product.

Unfortunately the best airlines also don't have much in the way of lounges. If lounge is important you might want to simply look at flying UA/AA/DL and just getting their credit card that gives lounge access.

Another option is getting an AMEX Platinum card which gives you Priority Pass as well. This gets you in to many lounges, but generally pretty random ones, you can look up the list on the PP site. AMEX Platinum also gets you into the Centurion Lounges which are the best lounges in the US as well, but limited to a few airports.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lelorox posted:

Does it make sense for me to get a Airline credit card for travel to gain access to lounges etc?

Since they all cost quite a lot ($350 or so), depends on how much you like lounges.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you fly once a month, I'd be surprised you really care about lounge access. Imagining you're flying through direct through two major airports?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Bag chat: everyone in my office uses backpacks for their carry on. I don't really like it, but my trips are so short that a suiter seems burdensome. Has anyone used travel pro crew 9 totes as their personal bag?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Bag chat: everyone in my office uses backpacks for their carry on. I don't really like it, but my trips are so short that a suiter seems burdensome. Has anyone used travel pro crew 9 totes as their personal bag?

I typically travel with a laptop bag and a duffle, both Tumi. Bears the hell out of a roller bag.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I use a backpack AND a roller because I'm too cheap to buy a real nice work bag. All the midrange women's bags are quilted/purple/covered in flowers and generally awful.

Re: Lounge chat... I ended up getting rid of my AA lounge pass (it's about the same price as the credit card fee) and I fly quite a bit.

I'm now mostly traveling hub to hub so I don't spend as much time sitting around in airports. If I flew internationally and/or had more complex itineraries I'd definitely consider signing back up.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

puchu posted:

In my opinion, travel pro is ok for 50k a year for a few years tops. I have no idea why flight crews seemingly ubiquitously to have them in tow. Theyre cheep and are not what I would consider able to take punishment. Delsey isa bit heavier but more rugged for your buck.

Briggs and Riley is my brand. Durable, light, flat packing and a no fuss lifetime guarantee...even airline damage. Don't buy into Tumi's guarantee till you read the laughable stories online about claims. They basically tell you to gently caress yourself everytime because its airline damage not workmanship. b&r in contrast covers it all, replaces parts and returns it to you clean with the little cosmetic crap replaced like zipper pulls.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Aristotle Animes posted:

In my opinion, travel pro is ok for 50k a year for a few years tops.

Good, I don't travel anywhere near that much :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Aristotle Animes posted:

In my opinion, travel pro is ok for 50k a year for a few years tops. I have no idea why flight crews seemingly ubiquitously to have them in tow. Theyre cheep and are not what I would consider able to take punishment. Delsey isa bit heavier but more rugged for your buck.

Briggs and Riley is my brand. Durable, light, flat packing and a no fuss lifetime guarantee...even airline damage. Don't buy into Tumi's guarantee till you read the laughable stories online about claims. They basically tell you to gently caress yourself everytime because its airline damage not workmanship. b&r in contrast covers it all, replaces parts and returns it to you clean with the little cosmetic crap replaced like zipper pulls.

Yeah, the saying with Tumi is you can't pay more for a bag, which is certainly accurate. I agree on the travelpro stuff for the most part but have gotten better use than that out of mine. Really depends on what line you get. B&R will be my next, as I said.

I hate backpacks. The utility isn't very high to me - just bring a briefcase and a small bag. They make you look like a child, especially if you are young.

edit: I haven't stepped on a plane in like a week and a half and I'm going nuts. Send help.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I hate backpacks. The utility isn't very high to me - just bring a briefcase and a small bag. They make you look like a child, especially if you are young.

I'll take a backpack when I don't have a car / taxi taking me from door to door. When staying for a early morning flight I prefer dropping the rental and taking public transport into town. Even a 5 minute walk in an old European city center with cobblestones is such a bitch with a trolley and I've laughed at too many tourists struggling with them to get caught doing that myself.

It only looks ridiculous with a suit to me but I don't wear them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pvt Dancer posted:

Yeah, I wear suits or at least a jacket.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
When I travel to Japan a stop where you transfer lines is usually a half kilometer walk with 6 to 10 sets of stairs so I usually go backpack and trolley.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If you fly once a month, I'd be surprised you really care about lounge access. Imagining you're flying through direct through two major airports?

A lot of the time my flights are not direct. I'm based out of DC and most of the flights to the west cost stop at a major hub first. I could take direct flights but often it's in my best interest to take a 1-2 hr pit stop in ATL. Plus my company makes me book through egencia, which sucks and limits the airlines I can take. The joke is I work in the airline industry.

I think I'm probably going to go for an AMEX w/ lounge access taking into consideration that the airline lounge cards are expensive.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The Centurion lounges are the way to go within the US, while most of those Priority Pass lounges aren't very good, as in quality tends to fall below a typical AC.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Still a fan of my Tom Bihn tri-star. Backpack when I want it, briefcase style otherwise, carries a lot of stuff including my laptop in a hard case in the middle pouch.

My work is very casual though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pvt Dancer posted:

I'll take a backpack when I don't have a car / taxi taking me from door to door. When staying for a early morning flight I prefer dropping the rental and taking public transport into town. Even a 5 minute walk in an old European city center with cobblestones is such a bitch with a trolley and I've laughed at too many tourists struggling with them to get caught doing that myself.

This. Wheels are nice in certain circumstances that I rarely encounter. Backpack and suit may impact my image a little but nobody cares about that in my racket, least of all me.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Lelorox posted:

A lot of the time my flights are not direct. I'm based out of DC and most of the flights to the west cost stop at a major hub first. I could take direct flights but often it's in my best interest to take a 1-2 hr pit stop in ATL. Plus my company makes me book through egencia, which sucks and limits the airlines I can take. The joke is I work in the airline industry.

I think I'm probably going to go for an AMEX w/ lounge access taking into consideration that the airline lounge cards are expensive.

With AMEX you get access to the Lounge Club lounge at ATL in the int'l terminal which is quite decent.

If you're flying many different airlines/alliances, considering consolidating the miles into Alaska. Alaska also flies quite a few nonstops from DCA even though you want the transfers.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Turns out my kid is more excited to see me on Skype than in person.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm 25, look like I'm 15, and do the backpack thing. Backpack is so much easier to carry around. It does make you look young though... I was doing the LAX-LGA redeye and cleared at the gate into the last available seat. This business man who must have been number 2 on the list was super pissed and started demanding the gate agent to tell him why she gave the upgrade to 'some child'.

Because the PALL list treats connecting EXPs with priority over those originating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

app posted:

This business man who must have been number 2 on the list was super pissed and started demanding the gate agent to tell him why she gave the upgrade to 'some child'.

I don't miss much about traveling now that my role has changed but this is certainly one thing I do miss.