Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

There's also a teaser for the Eisenkern grav-tanks in the Valkyr Heavy Troopers box art

I can't help but to think of that design as kinda lazy as to me it looks like a StuG 3 without any tracks. Which I guess fits the aesthetics but I'm sure there is so much more you can do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cooked Auto posted:

a StuG 3 without any tracks

That is exactly what it is

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Soulfucker posted:

The assassins can be taken as allies despite not having HQ slots because of a rule that states so, why do you guys assume this will be different?

Assassins have their own unique FOC consisting of 1x Elites.

What people seem to be saying is you can't use the CAD or Allies FOC because the Harlies have no HQ Choices, and some tourneys require that you stick to these detachments?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Zark the Damned posted:

Assassins have their own unique FOC consisting of 1x Elites.

What people seem to be saying is you can't use the CAD or Allies FOC because the Harlies have no HQ Choices, and some tourneys require that you stick to these detachments?

Hmm, but the Solitaire can be used as a warlord.....

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Shadokesh preview images:

I'm going to make an army of Jaffa.

These and Necron Scythes.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Any character can be a Warlord, not just HQ choices. It's just that most Characters you'd want to make your Warlord happen to be HQs.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Literally anything can be used as a warlord, even vehicles, but if you have a character you have to pick a character. If your warlord is not a character he gets no warlord trait.

e:f;b

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

That is exactly what it is

Welp.
That's one issue I have with most sci-fi vehicle designs that I've seen from third party producers recently. They all come off as a really dull and uninspired. I mean I know why because it keeps production costs down and such but at the same time I just wish they'd make them a little bit more eye catching or appealing than just a box with some wheels attached to it.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hra Mormo posted:

Literally anything can be used as a warlord, even vehicles, but if you have a character you have to pick a character. If your warlord is not a character he gets no warlord trait.

e:f;b

This I did not know. So if I pick a sergeant to be my Warlord, he roles on the trait table? But all non indie characters or characters, can't ?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Shadokesh preview images:

I pretty meh about everything else, but this is sweet. Could actually be pretty badass for more "organic" Eldar Wraithguards.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
So, you can take this harly detachment, why are you all losing your minds? You can take a CAD and this detachment, that would even fit within most tourneys with a limit of two detachemnts (usually only one CAD as well).

Just because they can not fill out an 'allied' detachment does not mean that they can't be taken as a non-primary detachment. It would be nice if you could avoid 3x troops etc, but differences are nice to see once in a while.

If you work in a group of players who only allow CAD or Allied detachments then ask them to reconsider their view. This game is moving away from that style quickly with these formations and codex specific detachments.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

This I did not know. So if I pick a sergeant to be my Warlord, he roles on the trait table? But all non indie characters or characters, can't ?

Characters roll on the table. Non character models don't, unless otherwise noted.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
who gives a poo poo they loving blow

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So, you can take this harly detachment, why are you all losing your minds? You can take a CAD and this detachment, that would even fit within most tourneys with a limit of two detachemnts (usually only one CAD as well).

Just because they can not fill out an 'allied' detachment does not mean that they can't be taken as a non-primary detachment. It would be nice if you could avoid 3x troops etc, but differences are nice to see once in a while.

If you work in a group of players who only allow CAD or Allied detachments then ask them to reconsider their view. This game is moving away from that style quickly with these formations and codex specific detachments.
Yeah, you can take the special FOC as an allied detachment. That isn't the problem. The FOC is pretty bad because you have to go all-in with three troupes and a bunch of bikes and vehicles. There's no way to, say, take one squad of harlequins and a solitaire as allies.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That's what Unbbound is for. Forge that narrative!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Don't call it an Allied Detachment, that's something different. It's simply a Masque Detachment, which can be included any number of times in any army.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you people really can't loving enjoy anything, can you? it's honestly surreal

now that harlequins have gotten the release i've literally waited years for, i can do what i've truly desired all along: bitch about it

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 11, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

im not being negative and combative, gently caress you

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Don't call it an Allied Detachment, that's something different. It's simply a Masque Detachment, which can be included any number of times in any army.

how about zero times cuz that's the ideal number

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Hey their Heavy Support can glance out a Rhino in three turns minimum, that's pretty good right?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

dat rear arc splinter cannon tho

does Fear even do anything for non-walker vehicles because lol

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Until the full rules are out there is no point getting annoyed about anything.

Though this force chart reeks of GW trying to subtly make you buy more models, so I would not be suprised if it turns out to be true.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

just realized these loving clowncars have Holo-fields instead of Flickerfields... rip Craftworld

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Until the full rules are out there is no point getting annoyed about anything.

the Stockholm Syndrome victim's battlecry

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

quote:

Starweavers are officially awesome. I'd kill to let my tau have a few (it will make EMP commandos work!, until next codex will take away our haywire mass too at least )

Open-topped skimmer is nice for assaults, having it get a 4++ on demand, even if once only-it a godsend. it will take at the very least some decent firepower to down the thing, without even hurting its not-too-shabby damage output.
Its no WS, but nothing is quite a WS, but I'd say it competes with ghost ark for the second-best transport around.

quote:

I'd say it competes with ghost ark for the second-best transport around.

quote:

I'd say it competes with ghost ark for the second-best transport around.

dakka.txt

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Phyresis posted:

dakka.txt

Maybe I can sell my shelved Dark Eldar to these guys if I paint them all bright and frilly.

Nah, who am I kidding. These types sing the praises of all new releases as amazing and competitive, then go right back to their Eldar/Imperial Knights to stomp on lesser armies and tell them it's their own fault.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Phyresis posted:

the Stockholm Syndrome victim's battlecry

Ha, GW wishes, I am not spending a penny on these clowns (ha) until I least see the main rules, even then only through my FLGS.

Also, dakka.txt stays true to the whole release, tragically funny.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cooked Auto posted:

Welp.
That's one issue I have with most sci-fi vehicle designs that I've seen from third party producers recently. They all come off as a really dull and uninspired. I mean I know why because it keeps production costs down and such but at the same time I just wish they'd make them a little bit more eye catching or appealing than just a box with some wheels attached to it.
Oh I dunno, I think this other design of his is a pretty sweet ride. It's makes me think of a big metal wheeled boar head.

There's also of course the Leviathans, which I think are pretty unique looking for giant robots.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll hold off on jizzing everywhere about Harlequins until I see the codex, but with Dark Eldar being dirt cheap troop selection they seem a decent add. I'm more interested with the change to holofields.

I'm still hoping that the Chaos Space Marine book get's the Necron treatment cause that book is really solid.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Phyresis posted:

I missed you. :allears:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Something arrived in my mail today:

:getin:

Since my group is fairly non-competitive I don't really care about lovely rules as long as my army is the prettiest on the table.

Phyresis posted:

It's too late for me :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I was discussing the Lucius-pattern Drop Pod with a friend the other day, is it really true that hitting the 'pod with a template weapon would deal d6 hits against a Dreadnought inside it, as per the No Escape (?) rule?
If so, that's dumb and hilarious if you find a strong enough flamer and pull off a 2-for-one deal by killing a vehicle inside a vehicle.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I'm still hoping that the Chaos Space Marine book get's the Necron treatment cause that book is really solid.

I doubt CSM will be any time soon tbh.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There was that rumour going around that'd we'd be getting God specific 40k formations .

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh I dunno, I think this other design of his is a pretty sweet ride. It's makes me think of a big metal wheeled boar head.

There's also of course the Leviathans, which I think are pretty unique looking for giant robots.

That's just a German half-track with the tracks replaced by some wheels.

And as much as I love them and plan on expanding my Harlequin collection into a full force, I think Phyresis is right: they aren't a strong army.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the whole idea of them is that they are a supplement to the other 2 books and a way to play them within campaigns and such. When I look at a release I don't immediately think what's the strongest build I can make ,but what's the most fun I could get out of this? Their rules are like top tier amazingly broken, but they are not terrible rules at all.

Kind of sucks we're not getting the full range of Harlequins, Mimes and the Great Harlequin seem to be missing.

I am now working on my Necron Army of Walking Dooooom and that's going to be a lot of fun to play it's all formations.

Resurgence Formation
15 Warriors
15 Warriors
5 Immortals in Nightscythe
5 immortals in Nightscythe
Monolith

Royal Court
Nemesor Zandrakh
Obyron
Illuminor

These are the only things I don't have and I'll have to purchase
Judicator Battalion
2 Triarchs
5 Praetorians
5 Praetorians

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Hollismason posted:

When I look at a release I don't immediately think what's the strongest build I can make ,but what's the most fun I could get out of this?

loving lmao. sure dude. whatever u say

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I can agree that specific design works but at the same time I'm still kinda disappointed by the general uninspiredness of third party vehicle designs.
Haven't really seen that many other design that really stand out in the clutter of mostly box vehicles and hovering shampoo bottles.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

pink horrors summoning more pink horrors summoning more pink horrors sounds so FUN

Hollishammer 40,000: In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there are only Pink Horrors

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Daemon Summoning armies with 45 Summoning dice are fun. My Chaos Space Marines and Daemons are going into semi retirement , sticking with Deldar and Crons now that they have fun codexes to play.

Although I did get drunk and buy a Fire Raptor.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 11, 2015

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

HiveCommander posted:

I was discussing the Lucius-pattern Drop Pod with a friend the other day, is it really true that hitting the 'pod with a template weapon would deal d6 hits against a Dreadnought inside it, as per the No Escape (?) rule?
If so, that's dumb and hilarious if you find a strong enough flamer and pull off a 2-for-one deal by killing a vehicle inside a vehicle.

That actually seems legit - normal Drop Pods you have to disembark as soon as you land, but the Lucius lets you stay embarked, apparently? And it's an Open-Topped vehicle, so yeah, No Escape hits would happen if you flamer-ed at it. No idea what facing those hits would be on, though - front armor vs side would make a difference on how effective/hilarious that strategy would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PeterWeller posted:

That's just a German half-track with the tracks replaced by some wheels.
Well I mean it's a german-inspired army(mostly), so yeah. It's a definitely solid update to the design though, and "just modifying a core aspect of the design" is not exactly immaterial. It's also incorporated the APC aspect of it into the hull more than just having a big bloated-looking thing on the back of it. Here's multiple angles of it that shows it's more than JUST a german half-track. It's much more recessed and streamlined despite being angular as gently caress.

• Locked thread