Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

There's a white flag on the minimap that retreats from a fight (must have active turn) as well as a white flag in the upper left that abandons the current quest.

Doing the Sir Robin is a big part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkStryke
Jun 7, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The jester's battle ballad is good for that.

Thanks for that. Got a jester and he has the opening round +4 speed trait, has made things completely different (and kind of too easy now).

I've been trying 4x of a class for fun, four bounty hunters can mow through things pretty darn quick!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

To be fair, the retreat option is hard to see if you don't know where to look already, and the in-battle retreat option is only visible if you have the right window selected. Really needs to change, and be like top left, and larger.

Bamf
Jul 20, 2000

Few games have given me the feeling this one does when a hero has a positive Resolve check.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Beat all the bosses - not going to bother with the level up every class to level 6 goals, so I'm basically done until more content is added. I've got more than my money's worth already though, so I can't wait to see new missions/dungeons. Some thoughts:

All the boss fights are very hard or easy based on how well you built your party to fight them and knowing what not to do during the fight. I lost a level 4 highwayman to the last hag boss and a level 3 hellion to the second necromancer fight, but never a full wipe.

We need to see every status condition affecting character.

Obviously the game needs a loss condition - either your guy goes mad and kills himself or the hamlet gets overrun by evil.

We need something to do with trinkets if we don't want to use them with our characters. Maybe convert them to crests or throw in 3 trinkets of the same rarity to get 1 random one of the same or lower rarity?

Evil should try to corrupt or destroy the hamlet - every week, there's a chance bandits could steal gold or other resources, or the wagon could fail to make a delivery, so no buying trinkets that week.

Wishlist

Steam workshop integration (this was a stretch goal they just failed to meet in the KS, but surely they have the budget for it now?)

I hope you can have more of your team do stuff in their off weeks rather than relieve stress or remove quirks. Maybe stand guard at the garrison to prevent attacks with a random chance of getting resolve or a weapon/armor upgrade - adds 1-10 stress though - go to the library to find information about particular monsters or gain certain positive quirks - actions that make other character useful because you can quickly rack up a bunch of characters that never do anything because you can only send out 4 at a time.

A randomized miniboss generator - every once in a while you find a named version of a monster - murderhobo the bandit - it can taunt you, has better stats, better lot, and grants 1 additional resolve exp if you beat the mission after killing him. Dead or dismissed adventurers have a chance of becoming minibosses.

Crazier, more elaborate bosses - I'd like to fight a giant Lovecraftian monster that takes up multiple rooms - kill a tentacle here, then move over and kill an eyeball or something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

Obviously the game needs a loss condition - either your guy goes mad and kills himself or the hamlet gets overrun by evil.

Loss conditions are really dumb, and given the obvious influence the Souls games have on this I hope/imagine they will not add one.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Genocyber posted:

Loss conditions are really dumb, and given the obvious influence the Souls games have on this I hope/imagine they will not add one.

Agreed. I am very glad this game does not have a loss condition because I am way more happy to be chill about the RNG when it doesn't mean my entire campaign might get hosed.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Bamf posted:

Few games have given me the feeling this one does when a hero has a positive Resolve check.

loving elation, right? I've only had Crusaders proc Virtuous and Courageous, and then the murder starts :black101:

Also: considering a Vest-Cru-Cru-Cru group, with rotating Holy Lance, for maximum righteousness.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The only problem with 3 crusaders is when you get down to just the front guys you can't holy lance them, so the guy in the 3 slot is dead space at that point. Something like a lunge/pick/fade grave robber works well with that plan though, or a highwayman/bounty.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

ZypherIM posted:

The only problem with 3 crusaders is when you get down to just the front guys you can't holy lance them, so the guy in the 3 slot is dead space at that point. Something like a lunge/pick/fade grave robber works well with that plan though, or a highwayman/bounty.

Lunge/Fade grave robber has a similar weakness to Holy Lance, you can only lunge from the last 2 spots

It somehow works if you all mix and match them with mobility skills, but sometimes the initiative likes to mess with you

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Genocyber posted:

This game is really nothing like Dark Souls, other than them both being dark fantasy RPG's.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Just started playing and I got a trinket with +Stun/Blight skills for a Highwayman. Do they even get Stun/Blight skills?

vvvv EDIT: ...fantastic vvvv

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 11, 2015

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
No, its the worst trinket in the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A lot of the trinkets are hot garbage that aren't worth using at all. Get used to ignoring most of them until you happen to find one of the rare ones that isn't terrible.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I found exactly one good trinket in my first game. I mean I get that they don't want them to be overpowered or to make some characters invincible, but at this point why are they even in the game? 95% of them are literally worthless because in a game where your guys are all super fragile and can die if one encounter goes poorly, the sacrifices just aren't worth the bonuses. That aspect of the game could really use another pass and some re-thinking. It's kind of bizarre that you can't at least sell the lovely ones for a couple hundred gold. That seems like a weirdly obvious thing to leave out of the game.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Zaphod42 posted:

You forgot the last line,

"gently caress I just lost my whole A-team, gently caress this game"

:)

This is me right now. I finally got 4 dudes to level 3, unlocked all their skills, upgraded their armor and weapons, sent them into the Ruins and got completely owned by bandits. TPK.

:(

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Genocyber posted:

Loss conditions are really dumb

God forbid a game is hard and doesn't hand hold you to victory in the year 2015. This is a sort of Rogue-like after all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's not the same as having a loss condition, and outside of the individual missions it is not.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Loss conditions are fine... if the game is of a reasonable length. Not sure this one will be once all content is added.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I've beaten the Wizened Hag and the Apprentice Necromancer but haven't set foot in the Warrens as of yet. Near as I can tell, the gimmick of the Ruins was Stress damage and the Weald's was Blight. Is there a gimmick to the Warrens? Bleed?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Time_pants posted:

I've beaten the Wizened Hag and the Apprentice Necromancer but haven't set foot in the Warrens as of yet. Near as I can tell, the gimmick of the Ruins was Stress damage and the Weald's was Blight. Is there a gimmick to the Warrens? Bleed?
lovely pigs that puke on you and give you negative traits like The Runs, Syphilis and other permanent stats loss traits if your disease resistance is poo poo. Also that drummer pig that does stress damage to everyone.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Toplowtech posted:

lovely pigs that puke on you and give you negative traits like The Runs, Syphilis and other permanent stats loss traits if your disease resistance is poo poo. Also that drummer pig that does stress damage to everyone.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH. That sounds awful. Anything you can do other than suck it up and run damage control?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Time_pants posted:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH. That sounds awful. Anything you can do other than suck it up and run damage control?

You can try to target the little shits first, I think it's only the one kind of pig that does it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
My 55 dodge Graverobber died along with my full screen positive, no negative traits Vestal. At least I beat the Necromancer though.

Rip Rou and Evelyn.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jade Star posted:

God forbid a game is hard and doesn't hand hold you to victory in the year 2015. This is a sort of Rogue-like after all.

It's not a roguelike at all. It's a strategy game. It has more similarities to X-Com than it does anything else.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

ErIog posted:

It's not a roguelike at all. It's a strategy game. It has more similarities to X-Com than it does anything else.

Hahaha no. Just no. Wow. Though I mean, it is funny watching everyone compare any strategy game that has come out in the last few years with X-Com. As Hard as I am for X-Com, and I am, see my LP, this is not more like X-Com than anything else.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

How do you use Occultists? I have only ever used on a couple of times and I feel like I am not getting the most out of that class at all. The back-row AoE seems really piddly in terms of damage and the debuffs all seem quite lackluster. I tried pairing one with a Bounty Hunter and it went better, but I feel like I'm spending a ton of time marking the enemy before I'm able to do any sort of significant amount of damage.

How does (left to right) Vestal - Occultist - Bounty Hunter - Hellion sound as a party? Is the Vestal redundant, or am I getting some decent synergy there?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

ZypherIM posted:

That's why you give all the crusaders Inspiring Cry, then spam that when you get stuck in the back of the shuffle. Also only 3 crusaders? Child's play.

Honestly the fights get tedious, but you can wreck the Ruins with these guys, and leave with less stress than you came in with, and you save money on torches! I haven't tried the other dungeons much yet though.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The occultists heal is really good, especially if you get an item that makes it less likely to bleed. When i don't have him healing he is debuffing larger enemies to more easily let my leper hit. The occultist also has probably the best set of camping skills in the game.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

animatorZed posted:

That said, if dead adventurers in this game turned into a soul gem or something that you could take with you, which carried some random subset of their positive or negative traits, that would be pretty neat.
Maybe to use it you'd have to take it with you into a dungeon, and use it on a specific kind of altar.
A darker version of this would be if the soul was only captured if you had that hero wear a specific trinket to capture it. So maybe a guy is too far to save, but has a nice quirk you want so you slap this gem on him and send him off to his death.

Probably unnecessary since most traits are relatively minor, and ephemeral anyways as they get phased out for new ones randomly.

On the launch day some streamers were in a skype with the dev's and they said they were playing with an idea of getting to bring back a dead hero. Like for instance you could revive someone but since they died, once the came back they wouldn't be quite right, which I think would be interesting.

Edit:

ZeusJupitar posted:

Although I don't think it's been clarified if the Darkest Dungeon will work like the others do, with random missions. It could be a fixed set of special endgame missions or something similar.

If I remember correctly, in the same call they said you would have to do multiple quests/missions per run without leaving the dungeon.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 11, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Time_pants posted:

How do you use Occultists? I have only ever used on a couple of times and I feel like I am not getting the most out of that class at all. The back-row AoE seems really piddly in terms of damage and the debuffs all seem quite lackluster. I tried pairing one with a Bounty Hunter and it went better, but I feel like I'm spending a ton of time marking the enemy before I'm able to do any sort of significant amount of damage.

How does (left to right) Vestal - Occultist - Bounty Hunter - Hellion sound as a party? Is the Vestal redundant, or am I getting some decent synergy there?

I always use Occultist in one of the backrows with heal, pull, a debuff (marker/-dod if I have BH or low accuracy party) and the back aoe attack.

Usually start the fight aoeing squishy back row if I have other members in my party that can also damage the back, otherwise use pull. If the pull can potentially disrupt the 2nd position into passing their turn, i'll do that instead. When the backrow is dead, I debuff a big target or start healing before the fight ends.

Occultist has the added benefit of being able to move 2 spaces, but this won't come into play too often, especially if you use camping pro-actively to reduce surprise attacks.

I never use Vestal and Occultist in the same party, but I am tempted to try it but in a different way:

Occultist (heal, pull, marker debuff, back aoe) - Bounty Hunter (Marker conditional attack, stun attack, pull or knockback, stun) - Vestal (group heal, illuminate, hand of light, mace attack) - Hellion (Basic Attack, aoe, let it bleed, yawp)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Clever Spambot posted:

The occultists heal is really good, especially if you get an item that makes it less likely to bleed. When i don't have him healing he is debuffing larger enemies to more easily let my leper hit. The occultist also has probably the best set of camping skills in the game.

Agreed. +5 speed to himself or +20% (or was it 25%) damage to an ally are really good buffs.

Time_pants posted:

The Vestal has more reliable but lower damage heals, while the Occultist has a less reliable but really good when it works heal. Having them both together is slightly redundant because in my experience you don't usually need more than one healer if you're dealing with threats appropriately. If the Occultist isn't healing, he's generally debuffing anything you can't kill that round or marking a big bag of hit points so the Bounty Hunter can take it out double time. Also, Bounty Hunters get an attack that increases damage on stunned targets that can be used on any spot from any spot, which would synergize really well with something like the Hellion's Yawp or the Plague Doctor's back row stun bomb.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Time_pants posted:

I generally went Jester, Occultist, Bounty Hunter, [Leper or Crusader].

The Jester had the buff song and the stress heal, occultist had the melee stab, the heal, the vulnerability hex that marks, and the pull; the BH had come hither, stunning grenade, finish him, and collect bounty.

Occultist was the healer; unlike with a vestal, with an occultist you can't let people's health drop, you have to keep them mostly topped off, or at least above half. Jester spammed his buff song. Occultist Marked for the BH when there was a big target and pulled enemy back ranks forward when possible. BH hit the big targets and used his pull and stun grenade to attack back ranks also.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jade Star posted:

Hahaha no. Just no. Wow. Though I mean, it is funny watching everyone compare any strategy game that has come out in the last few years with X-Com. As Hard as I am for X-Com, and I am, see my LP, this is not more like X-Com than anything else.

Hahaha no. Just no. Wow. Though I mean, it is funny watching everyone compare any game that has come out in the last few years to a roguelike. As Hard as I am for roguelikes, and I am, see my Nethack ascensions, this is not more like a roguelike than anything else.

This game has literally nothing in common with roguelikes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jade Star posted:

It's more like X-Com than a roguelike.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

VDay posted:

Am I missing something or can you just recruit four scrubs, send them on a level 0 mission, abort it immediately, and then dismiss said scrubs with no serious downside in order to advance the game by a week for "free"? Or are there some consequences to failing/aborting missions that I'm not seeing? Cause it seems like a pretty easy way to cheese the whole "Sit out a week to recuperate" mechanic and lets you always use your best team. Has a real game over state just not been implemented into the game yet?

you could do that but 1) it's lame as gently caress and really boring to do 2) you're just wasting time / 4 slots over and over, slots that could be occupied by dudes who might save your rear end when your real teams get hosed or too stressed. Sure you could always use your "best team" but good luck with never getting stressed or killed with them. That's time spent that could have leveled up the other 15 or so dudes so in the long run it's your call if you want to joylessly grind

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:allears: please tell me the other three are Raphael, Donatello and Leonardo.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

IronicDongz posted:

It's more like X-Com than a roguelike.

"Darkest Dungeon is a challenging gothic ROGUELIKE turn-based RPG."

Said by the creators themselves on their Steam store page.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Loss conditions would really turn this into some edge of your seat gameplay. Will I have to restart my campaign? Won't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

THE BAR posted:

"Darkest Dungeon is a challenging gothic ROGUELIKE turn-based RPG."

Said by the creators themselves on their Steam store page.
Ok?
Rogue Legacy was also marketed that way and it's one of the furthest possible games from a roguelike. Calling something X thing does not make it X thing automatically.

The permanent loss of individual recruits instead of permanent saves makes it far more X-Com in the sense of progression/player investment loss as punishment than it makes it roguelike.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 11, 2015