Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Phlegmish posted:

People still smoke in 2015? Seems like everyone I know that used to smoke has quit by now.

It's bad for you.

*blows smoke in your face* gently caress off, nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Come closer and say that.

It's ok, I can wait.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Sonic chat: They put vanilla flavoring in their onion rings. Revolting.

Wait, what IS Sonic?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hey, that nerd already smells bad enough, no need to make it worse with your lovely smoke stench.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Anatharon posted:

Wait, what IS Sonic?

A hedgehog.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Wait, what IS Sonic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhK-tvDvzwk

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Question Mark Mound posted:

People still chew tobacco outside of Wild West recreation societies? (I assume those probably exist)

Work at a gas station when you figure out you hate yourself, and want to convince yourself you need to kill yourself, Cigarettes, cigarellos and chew/dip/snuff are like 1/3rd of your sales, not counting gas (which unless you're quiktrip, goes to another company). And I'm pretty sure that that ratio would be higher if everything else wasn't marked up by about 50% of what it cost elsewhere.

Having worked at a gas station made me wonder if marketing works at all. I have seen people buy $3 bags of marshmellows, $7 boxes of wheat thins, and $8 boxes of cereals and bags of beef jerky. I've seen those same products sell for $1.25, $3.50 to $4, and $4 in order, in other stores, that are within visual distance of the store. Hell, there is a nice Dollar Tree within a short walk that sells candy bars, and I'm talking snickers, M&Ms, and stuff like that, for $.79, when the gas station I worked at sold it for $1.19. I told someone once that the dollar store had a candy bar we were out of, and they gave me a look like I'd told them to go hang out in an ebola riddled village in Africa.

A lot of them weren't there to get gas or cigarettes either, they just thought the gas station was "faster" then going to Target, Price Chopper, or even the much better staffed Quiktrip just down the street from the station I worked at. Which made no sense when they'd look around the store for up to 20 minutes, then have to wait in line for another 5 or 10 minutes while some one bitched about something (my favorite being "why is the car wash closed" when it's well below freezing outside).

Though thinking about that station and poo poo marketing. They introduced a rewards card, that saved basically no money, cost the company money, and added like 30 seconds onto every transaction.

P.S.: gently caress Marlboro Smooths, 27s, Parliment lights, wrapping paper, and Cigarellos. They summoned all of the drat potheads and drug addicts. Nothing quite as thrilling as watching a dude basically shut down mentally because he's so high on heroine that when you tell him your out of something (3 times), he can literally not figure out what to do next.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Rondette posted:

Wait....do smokers right (left? IDK) swipe other smokers?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Random but a pack of smokes in NY is $15 lol.

Luckily I live in NC. They are $5

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Anora posted:

P.S.: gently caress Marlboro Smooths, 27s, Parliment lights, wrapping paper, and Cigarellos. They summoned all of the drat potheads and drug addicts. Nothing quite as thrilling as watching a dude basically shut down mentally because he's so high on heroine that when you tell him your out of something (3 times), he can literally not figure out what to do next.

I legit sat here scratching my head wondering why the gently caress a stoner would need wrapping paper. Do they just love holidays? Does smoking weed make some people really generous?

Then I realized what you actually meant. :downs:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I legit sat here scratching my head wondering why the gently caress a stoner would need wrapping paper. Do they just love holidays? Does smoking weed make some people really generous?

Weed isn't a drug, man, it's, like, a gift for the soul and poo poo

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

spider bethlehem posted:

To the best of my knowledge, this is literally exactly what is going on, with a side order of using language that's supposed to pseudoscience you into wanting a cigarette. Supposedly that's what's with those orange banners - it's supposed to encourage that viewer to make an impulsive decision (to smoke a cigarette)

Note: I heard this from a marketing person, and marketers are by their very nature evil

The Health Education Board for Scotland released this one in 2001. This was about the time programmes like Popstars/Fame Academy (the forerunners to X-Factor and Country X Has Talent) were getting massive and more and more people were getting online and downloading music. It was downloaded tens of thousands of times before HEBS made the quite unprecedented decision to release it as a single. So you had a song that - when not watched with the video, at least - made you think about smoking when you heard it. And it was catchy enough that you could learn the words after two listens. And this was released by the National Health Service. The message was aimed at girls as well, meaning boys got... somewhat the opposite effect.

Oops.

HEBS were merged with another health agency a year later when the government decided they probably shouldn't be entering the music business.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Weed makes you generous but generally you won't want to get up to give people gifts.

Benzos, though. People may need anti-anxiety meds around the holidays but avoid taking many while actually shopping.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Feb 11, 2015

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Anora posted:

Gas Station Stuff.

This times a million. Our cigarettes here range from 3.50 for the brand stuff and $7 for the pricier things, but Skoal/Cope make up about half of our tobacco sales. And since it's in Colorado I'm sure that number will go up when they start selling glass or other pot related items.

Its always funny to see when people come in asking for the little roses that come in tiny glass pipes though. Even funnier when "No, the wooden ones won't work, they have to be the ones in the glass."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LumpyGumby posted:

Its always funny to see when people come in asking for the little roses that come in tiny glass pipes though. Even funnier when "No, the wooden ones won't work, they have to be the ones in the glass."

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-secret-criminal-uses-stuff-they-sell-in-gas-stations/

quote:

Have you ever wondered what kind of awful husband buys his wife one of those cheesy fake roses in a glass tube? They're such lame gifts, but you see them everywhere. If stores keep stocking them, someone must be buying them, right? What kind of relationship transgression can be fixed with a $1 gas station purchase? Failure to DVR the right television show usually requires more apology effort than that.

If you've had suspicions similar to those just expressed, which I highly doubt you have until now, I'm glad to report that they are not unfounded. There is in fact only one occasion when buying your woman a rose in a glass tube is appropriate, and that, of course, is if you're going to smoke crack together, which, in turn, means you're probably dating Courtney Love.

This one isn't even trying to hide it:

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Oh I know, I learned it from the same site. Just is interesting to see how many people are actually smoking crack, the number might saddensurprise you!

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH
McDonalds Ireland mans up and leads the charge in smarmy heteronormative bullshittery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nic3oQfYzoU

Nauseating.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The small town next to my small town has an independent gas station instead of the big chain station mine has. The guy who runs it carries baby toys, wine, food, liquor, smokes, coffee, jewelry, decorative house statues, glass pipes, and those roses which he admits is "for people to smoke crack with."

He also has a super fat fluffy cat that just walks around the store.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Len posted:

The small town next to my small town has an independent gas station instead of the big chain station mine has. The guy who runs it carries baby toys, wine, food, liquor, smokes, coffee, jewelry, decorative house statues, glass pipes, and those roses which he admits is "for people to smoke crack with."

The cat is a good move in marketing. There's a shop that I often walk past that has a kitty, and I'm always tempted to go inside just because of that cat. It's a shop that carries Muslim related things though, so I'd feel bad for just walking in to pet their cat and no intention to actually spend any money.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
The commercials for Calvin Klein's "Reveal" fragrance bug me for an odd reason. A lot of fragrance commercials have the "instant attraction" angle going on, where someone sees a person (implied to be wearing the fragrance) and instantly falls for them. OK, cool, stupid but whatever. But no, in the ads for Reveal it's a man and a woman in their high-priced apartments across the street from each other, perving at each other through open windows. The only way the fragrance enters into it is if one of those people is wearing enough Reveal to be smelled across a street, and through two layers of glass. So far, everyone I know who's seen the commercial has thought the same thing, too.

Also, they use almost the exact same commercial with only a few differing shots for the men's and women's version of the commercial. At least in the "for her" version it makes sense - she's obviously seducing the guy by very consciously letting him see her dressing, and posing for him. In the "for him" version, dude is watching a woman across the street, who kind of seems into him, he pours a drink, sits down to watch her some more, next thing you know she's in his apartment.

Why are fragrance commercials 100% idiotic?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I've heard that fragrance commercials pretty much have to be weird and pile on symbolism or "This is romantic" or what have you, because there's just no way to convey how their product smells in a visual ad. (And they don't want to just say 'roses and musk' because that won't properly convey the whole scent/'mood' of it, either.)

They don't have to make sense, they just want you to remember it so when you're at Macy's or wherever you can think "Oh, that Dior one showed a lot of flowers and chiffon and whatnot. I like that imagery-- it was called... Mademoiselle." and go smell it/buy it for your lady friend because she probably likes that kind of thing.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Len posted:

Slime posted:

The cat is a good move in marketing.

Yeah, until it ends up being held hostage or killed because its owner enabled crackheads.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Twanki posted:

McDonalds Ireland mans up and leads the charge in smarmy heteronormative bullshittery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nic3oQfYzoU

Nauseating.

If some minimum wage register jockey starts to call me out on my manliness because I drive a Toyota, I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
We bring the smart to bring you the stupid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BlY5qfRxnQ
Look at this massively complex infrastructure we run and you use it for that junk. I mean, the tone isn't nasty but I still don't like it. I know I watch stupid poo poo don't remind me. :(
They did make this GoonFest of an ad though :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3KXow-ibvE

A Man and his dog posted:

Random but a pack of smokes in NY is $15 lol.
Size? A pack of 25/26's where I work start around the range of $14-$15 AUD for the trash cheapo brands (Bond Street, John Player Special, Rothmans).

Mr. Welfare posted:

I recall back in high school that Mars Bars got marginally smaller. I didn't think much about it until I was reading the newspaper one day and read a advert from Mars Co. to the effect that they claimed that the loss in size was because the head office chimps were concerned about the obesity rate of Australia, and selflessly reduced the size of the bars, in order to combat this plague.

A more cynical and craven excuse I would have a hard time thinking of.

To be fair, Australians are fat.
This is every companies excuse for downsizing portions but keeping or raising the prices up. Mars, Nestle, Cadbury have all pulled that poo poo. I have several eras of Peanut M&M buckets (From Christmas gifts) and you can see them start at around 1kg/2.2lbs then drop over the years to 640g/1.4lbs but they still cost around ~$10.
Coke in Australia has been constantly trying to force smaller bottles and cans into stores (Standard soda sizes here are 355ml/12.6oz for cans, 600ml/20.2oz for normal, 1.25L/42.2oz and 2L/67.6oz for 'groups'.) But they have 450ml/15.2oz bottles, 390ml/13.1oz bottles, 250ml bottles, 200ml cans it just goes on and on :psyduck:
Also products in Australia seem to loving haaaate updating their websites. Example Coke: http://www.coca-colajourney.com.au/brands/coca-cola/coca-cola-lemon-flavour Hasn't been around since early 2014-ish.
Otherwise these days they just tend to have generic non-descriptive websites up with no real info like Doritos. https://doritos.com.au/

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Croccers posted:

We bring the smart to bring you the stupid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BlY5qfRxnQ
Look at this massively complex infrastructure we run and you use it for that junk. I mean, the tone isn't nasty but I still don't like it. I know I watch stupid poo poo don't remind me. :(

I dunno, I kinda liked that commercial, they're poking fun at themselves and the internet as a whole.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's okay to be an over-25 white trash smoker, no need to get defensive. *adjusts glasses, walks out of the bar passive-aggressively mumbling while still carefully avoiding eye contact*

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Len posted:

This is what we city folk refer to as a bodega.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Croccers posted:

They did make this GoonFest of an ad though :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3KXow-ibvE

Size? A pack of 25/26's where I work start around the range of $14-$15 AUD for the trash cheapo brands (Bond Street, John Player Special, Rothmans).

This is every companies excuse for downsizing portions but keeping or raising the prices up. Mars, Nestle, Cadbury have all pulled that poo poo. I have several eras of Peanut M&M buckets (From Christmas gifts) and you can see them start at around 1kg/2.2lbs then drop over the years to 640g/1.4lbs but they still cost around ~$10.
Coke in Australia has been constantly trying to force smaller bottles and cans into stores (Standard soda sizes here are 355ml/12.6oz for cans, 600ml/20.2oz for normal, 1.25L/42.2oz and 2L/67.6oz for 'groups'.) But they have 450ml/15.2oz bottles, 390ml/13.1oz bottles, 250ml bottles, 200ml cans it just goes on and on :psyduck:
Also products in Australia seem to loving haaaate updating their websites. Example Coke: http://www.coca-colajourney.com.au/brands/coca-cola/coca-cola-lemon-flavour Hasn't been around since early 2014-ish.
Otherwise these days they just tend to have generic non-descriptive websites up with no real info like Doritos. https://doritos.com.au/
I know that personally, I'd prefer the smaller portion sizes to be the norm because I'll always instinctively eat/drink the rest "because I've paid for it." I know I'm getting shafted financially with portion sizes shrinking but it's definitely better for my health in the long run, though obviously I wish product costs were reduced accordingly.

For comparison with Australia, in the UK standard cans are 330ml and bottles are 500ml. Most "groups" as you called them are 2L, but you can sometimes get 1L bottles too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

People still smoke in 2015? Seems like everyone I know that used to smoke has quit by now.

It's bad for you.

Tobacco tastes good. Pretty sure stuff like nicotine and some of the other crap in it has a bit of a stimulant effect. It's also a comforting habit and some smoke specifically because it reduces your appetite as well. I'd probably still smoke if it didn't gently caress up my lungs. I sure as hell never would have quit if it weren't bad for you. I loving love tobacco and still have a couple of cigars over the course of a typical year.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

If some minimum wage register jockey starts to call me out on my manliness because I drive a Toyota, I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Uh huh and what if it was a comedian giving you a gentle ribbing as part of an obviously light-hearted advertising campaign?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is what we city folk refer to as a bodega.

That's a supermarket around these parts.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

nintendo selling region locked consoles in 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Baram posted:

nintendo selling region locked consoles in 2015

Well hey it's not like they're doing anything really bad like preventing people from uploading gameplay videos of Nintendo games to Youtube without an affiliate agreement or literally selling a handheld that cannot be used out-of-box because it doesn't come with a charger

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Feb 12, 2015

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the note of downsized food products, Hershey's "Air Delights" is the most hilariously awful, as it's literally a normal-sized chocolate bar, normal price, but full of air holes!

Also, tobacco-chat: crank the prices up on all forms except a $2 anal-injection in the shape of a pink dildo and watch how many people peg themselves in public for that sweet release. :allears:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Uh huh and what if it was a comedian giving you a gentle ribbing as part of an obviously light-hearted advertising campaign?

The same, because I aint being paid to advertise their company.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I don't know, i'd be happy enough with the free burger. Everyone in the ad was paid though, it's a television ad. They don't really make those with people straight off the street.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

I know that personally, I'd prefer the smaller portion sizes to be the norm because I'll always instinctively eat/drink the rest "because I've paid for it." I know I'm getting shafted financially with portion sizes shrinking but it's definitely better for my health in the long run, though obviously I wish product costs were reduced accordingly.

For comparison with Australia, in the UK standard cans are 330ml and bottles are 500ml. Most "groups" as you called them are 2L, but you can sometimes get 1L bottles too.
I wouldn't have an issue with downsizing portion if like, they reflected that in the costs.
But instead they try to flog off the 450ml a whole 30c cheaper than a 600ml (Which costs anywhere from $3.50 to $4.80 depending where you buy it from).
Or in case with the chocolate bars and candy bags, the price stays the same but you get (at least) 20g less.

edit: Oh yeah, supermarkets will stock 1L and 1.5L bottles too.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Croccers posted:

I wouldn't have an issue with downsizing portion if like, they reflected that in the costs.
But instead they try to flog off the 450ml a whole 30c cheaper than a 600ml (Which costs anywhere from $3.50 to $4.80 depending where you buy it from).
Or in case with the chocolate bars and candy bags, the price stays the same but you get (at least) 20g less.

edit: Oh yeah, supermarkets will stock 1L and 1.5L bottles too.

To play devil's advocate, production costs are not comparable to distribution and advertising costs. The product costs them nothing to make in China.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Wandle Cax posted:

gently caress that guy too. Unless I'm going to go see that kind of act where I know there's a chance I'm going to get "a gentle ribbing", I'm not going to stand there and be insulted for the amusement of others.

It doesn't matter what the circumstances are. If I go into a store to buy shoes, and the salesman comes up and says "Holy poo poo, it's a good thing you came in here today because your shoes are goddamn awful. Also, get a hair cut and tell your mother I had a great time last night." I'm not spending my money there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What kind of man can't handle a bit of banter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

What kind of man can't handle a bit of banter?

The same kind of man who doesn't swipe right on a gym cutie he sees on Tinder for fear of being run out of the gym in shame and horror.