Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Image Removed.

Note the terrible web design that doesn't even work in our corporate-standard IE8. I love how the two least popular answers are the ones that are actually about the baby/parent interaction. Intranet suck-ups are amazing people.

quote:

My organization does the whole onsite clinic thing and it's awesome. It's also great if you have a cold.

That's one thing I was a little sad about from leaving Lilly. The job itself was a terrible match for me because of my general lifestyle and where my family lives, but the company was really good to its employees with respect to safety and consideration for working conditions.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ahh, I see there are 232 people in your HR and PR departments combined.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Renegret posted:

My bonus last year was $900 :geno:

No word on my raise yet. That's due in May for whatever reason.

I don't get a bonus, my overtime is routinely threatened by management, and everyone is getting their 2% COLA raise (one of our only raises in six years) revoked.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I don't get a bonus, my overtime is routinely threatened by management, and everyone is getting their 2% COLA raise (one of our only raises in six years) revoked.

I'm thankful for my $900.

I'm also curious what my VP got. Probably more than my yearly pay.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
My 'bonus' is 'lol i cant be hosed not putting through multiple weeks pay as a single week enjoy the extra cash taken out for taxes *ollies out*'

i couldnt afford antidepressants for two weeks when i came back to work

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Heh. You bonus people are cute.

My '6 months to hire' position has neither ended nor resulted in me being hired on, so in addition to not being eligible for a bonus, I'm not allowed to work overtime, I get no PTO, no raises, and my health insurance from the contract agency can basically be summed up as "this is literally the worst insurance we were legally allowed to offer, so you had best hope you stay healthy forever". The worst plan on healthcare.gov is better.

On the bright side, it's stable work, it's technically data analysis even if a comatose monkey could do it, and it removes the worry of starvation from my job hunt.

Also, I think I'd STILL think hard before trading it for Sundae's job, even if I were qualified for it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
You know those "You don't have to be crazy to work here, but..." signs and posters?

I reckon Sundae is the one person who is legitimately allowed to display one.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
There are opens if he wants to move to Baltimore.
https://www.reddit.com/r/forhire/comments/2vg0wv/hiring_medical_startup_needs_pharmacy_people_and/

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Xibanya posted:

I don't know about drug QA but I am software QA and I bring home $45k annually and last year my bonus was like $800. And I script automation and make utilities in C#, autoIT, javascript, can cross apply to a SQL query like a champ, and my writing isn't riddled with spelling errors (unlike SOME devs I could mention). My guess is that compared to sales/management, pharma QA don't make jack. And they're the only ones between the public and a horrible death by tainted drugs.

Jerks assume I play vidya for a living and therefore don't deserve to be paid. I work for a payroll company you morons! :argh:

BTW you should totally jump to a big company, although I think we've discussed it before and SD is a bad market for this sort of thing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Taliesyn posted:

Heh. You bonus people are cute.

My '6 months to hire' position has neither ended nor resulted in me being hired on, so in addition to not being eligible for a bonus, I'm not allowed to work overtime, I get no PTO, no raises, and my health insurance from the contract agency can basically be summed up as "this is literally the worst insurance we were legally allowed to offer, so you had best hope you stay healthy forever". The worst plan on healthcare.gov is better.

On the bright side, it's stable work, it's technically data analysis even if a comatose monkey could do it, and it removes the worry of starvation from my job hunt.

Also, I think I'd STILL think hard before trading it for Sundae's job, even if I were qualified for it.

My current job was 6 months to hire.

Took me a year and a half to get that full time position.

Was it worth it? Hell no. The only reason I never left during that year and a half is because I was never able to find anything better while I was a temp. They did irreparable damage to me with the gross mistreatment of their temps and now I find myself hard pressed to do anything past the bare minimum.

I stay because the job is easy and the pay and benefits are fantastic compared to anything I've managed to get offers for on the outside. My current goal isn't to find a new job outside the company, but rather find a new job in a different department in the same company. It's a good company to work for, just not a good department.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Yeah, my understanding is that the other departments where I am are far more sane. Unfortunately, they all pay less for my job description, and temps can't exactly transfer. Worse yet, my boss combines the worst aspects of Sheldon Cooper and the Pointy-Haired Boss, so even after 18 months here (soft job market in the area), I really doubt I'm getting hired any time soon from my '6 months - to -hire' position. I'm told the average is more 2-3 years, and only if you donate copious amounts of overtime, which I refuse to do.

Seriously - in the last couple weeks, I've been extensively chewed out once for not writing a procedure document before learning how to do the procedure, and once for not doing a process for the last two months, even though it was just given to me to start doing two weeks ago (and I HAVE been doing it since it was given to me).

So yea, keeping an eye on the job market, looking for something tolerable that will still let me pay the bills. And playing the lottery. I think that one may pay off first!

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 11, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

sbaldrick posted:

My organization does the whole onsite clinic thing and it's awesome. It's also great if you have a cold.

We have an on-site physician assistant that's free for employees. It's great when you just need cold medicine or something that doesn't require an actual doctor.

My company does profit sharing but since I'm a contractor I get included on all the emails about how much everyone gets per quarter but I don't actually see any of it :(

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My company gave out a bonus at Christmas time for $250 because we had an unusually good year. Its better than zero, but hey, I'm just a peon.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I finally told my boss that the reason I couldn't go to her for help was because she spent half her time insulting me and the other half not giving me real constructive criticism.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

How did she take it?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Considering that you are currently living in a Dilbert cartoon strip... is it worth the money?

I think I'm actually going to say yes. Almost everyone hates their jobs, but most don't get paid well for it. Of all the complaints I can make, the salary I make at my age isn't one of them. There is more to the 'yes' decision than just the salary, though. I've gotten to bounce around the industry enough to see that the only thing I like doing in the industry is going the way of the dinosaurs (actual lab-scale R&D), and that if I stay here, I'm going to be stuck in a strategic bullshit office role forever. I've gotten to work with some really brilliant people and I've gotten to see our employers gently caress them over as hard as possible when they came within a few years of retirement. If I stay here long enough, I'll be the one getting hosed over instead.

So, yes it was worth it because now when I leave, I'm not going to look back and wonder. I know exactly how it will play out if I stay. I'll deal with insane corporate bullshit for 25 years, never be home to spend time with my family, always be dreading the next boom/bust cycle of the industry and never feel able to settle down anywhere, get within five years of retirement, and then get canned on minimal notice with a severely reduced or non-existent pension depending on the company's vesting plan (if any).

I'm using the paychecks and bonuses to pay down the rest of my wife's student loans and to put together a safety net, and then I'm going to transition into full-time on my side business. Maybe I'll keep the porch light on for a consulting side gig to occasionally go sort out site investigations for someone, but I'm not sure about that yet. All I'm really sure about is that I can't stay in this field long-term.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That's one hosed up industry if I ever saw one. I knew a guy whose dad works for Pfizer and they moved him from Kalamazoo to St. Louis and then again to Connecticut all in one year.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

Sometimes I miss working at a hospital. Getting sick? Just go to the ER and the docs/nurses there will throw meds at you!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

That's one hosed up industry if I ever saw one. I knew a guy whose dad works for Pfizer and they moved him from Kalamazoo to St. Louis and then again to Connecticut all in one year.

Yep. Pfizer pulled that on a bunch of people back in 2006 or so. They uprooted an entire building and told them they were all going to Ann Arbor. People had to pull their kids out of school, sell their houses, etc, only to be told that Ann Arbor was closing about 6-12 months after they moved into the A.A area. They were all going right back to Connecticut again. That was the last big heap of bullshit before I joined the company, and then I got one really great year before the six-month layoff cycles started and all my R&D projects suddenly had Business-Unit overlords breathing down our necks to not spend any money whatsoever and outsource it all.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DJCobol posted:

Sometimes I miss working at a hospital. Getting sick? Just go to the ER and the docs/nurses there will throw meds at you!

Plus you never have to wait at the ER and you get to hang out and the nurses station. I miss hospital work too.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Taliesyn posted:

6 months to hire [...] (has not) resulted in me being hired on

Renegret posted:

Whenever recruiters tried to push those contract-to-hire jobs on me, I always turned them down for the reason I feared above. Guess my fears were founded after all.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Renegret posted:

Was it worth it? Hell no. The only reason I never left during that year and a half is because I was never able to find anything better while I was a temp. They did irreparable damage to me with the gross mistreatment of their temps and now I find myself hard pressed to do anything past the bare minimum.

I stay because the job is easy and the pay and benefits are fantastic compared to anything I've managed to get offers for on the outside. My current goal isn't to find a new job outside the company, but rather find a new job in a different department in the same company. It's a good company to work for, just not a good department.

Two of my last desktop support/IT jobs were contract to hire, neither of them resulted in me being hired. One was supposed to be 6 months to hire, that turned into three separate renewals before I saw the writing on the wall at the company I was contracted to (lots of politics, people being forced into retirement, management fighting uphill battles for their teams, etc) and put in my notice. Second was a similar situation without any specific time frame for going contract to FTE, another contract company bought out the existing one, and a bunch of people either left because of pay reductions or got laid off within a couple months. Not to mention, at both places, the time you spent under contract wasn't counted toward your tenure with the company, so you basically started over from scratch (e.g. if you worked 2 years under contract and 3 years after being brought on FT, only the 3 FT years counted even though you'd been working for said company for 5 years total).

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The guy whose last day is on Friday managed to do one more dumb thing. He wanted to delete a row of the test database but it wouldn't let him due to a constraint. So he got rid of the constraint and deleted the row.

For lay people, basically he tried to delete a thing which triggered a message saying "don't delete this thing, a bunch of other stuff relies on it so delete that stuff first or a bunch of poo poo will not work right" and instead of deleting the other stuff, he just made that message not happen.

My boss got SO mad.

At this point I wonder if dumb dumb dev is doing it on purpose.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe he is angling to get sent home early or something? If he had done that on his last day, I would have said it was a 'gently caress you' move on the way out the door, but midweek? :iiam:

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Sundae posted:

Yep. Pfizer pulled that on a bunch of people back in 2006 or so. They uprooted an entire building and told them they were all going to Ann Arbor. People had to pull their kids out of school, sell their houses, etc, only to be told that Ann Arbor was closing about 6-12 months after they moved into the A.A area. They were all going right back to Connecticut again. That was the last big heap of bullshit before I joined the company, and then I got one really great year before the six-month layoff cycles started and all my R&D projects suddenly had Business-Unit overlords breathing down our necks to not spend any money whatsoever and outsource it all.

I'm really loving glad I work in a country where lifetime employment is still a real thing and protects emlouees from corporate capriciousness.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Dolemite posted:

Whenever recruiters tried to push those contract-to-hire jobs on me, I always turned them down for the reason I feared above. Guess my fears were founded after all.

Anytime I've done contract-to-hire it's been hire me now or I don't work here anymore after the contract is up. But I've only done that at small companies, who were only doing it so they wouldn't have to do their own recruiting and get a trial period so they don't have to pay unemployment if the person they hired sucks. I did endless contract work for the Corporation before and that was awful, "we'll try to hire you next month" every month after the first 6, but that was never specifically stated as contract to hire.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Xibanya posted:

The guy whose last day is on Friday managed to do one more dumb thing. He wanted to delete a row of the test database but it wouldn't let him due to a constraint. So he got rid of the constraint and deleted the row.

How has this guy not been marched out the door by a goon with no neck yet? :psyboom:

Just going back to what you said earlier about him maybe being a great dev, you just proved that he's not. This is the guy that makes it so hard to actually get hired somewhere; everyone is trying desperately to make sure HE doesn't get through, and they'll take false negatives over a disaster like this guy.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Xibanya posted:

For lay people, basically he tried to delete a thing which triggered a message saying "don't delete this thing, a bunch of other stuff relies on it so delete that stuff first or a bunch of poo poo will not work right" and instead of deleting the other stuff, he just made that message not happen.

My boss got SO mad.

At this point I wonder if dumb dumb dev is doing it on purpose.

It's troubling that someone who would do this has the ability to remove those constraints in the first place.

Guess that's why he's being shown out :shobon:

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!

Sundae posted:

...Maybe I'll keep the porch light on for a consulting side gig to occasionally go sort out site investigations for someone, but I'm not sure about that yet...

Nice! I learned and used a new corporatism this afternoon! Coworker walked past my work area earlier, asked if I'd be around after lunch to proofread a paper for her. "I dunno," I relied, "but I'll keep the porch light on for ya, mmkay?"

Her :wtf: expression was priceless.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Necc0 posted:

It's troubling that someone who would do this has the ability to remove those constraints in the first place.

Guess that's why he's being shown out :shobon:

It's test, so even I could poo poo it up if I wanted to, I'm just not dumb/malicious enough to poo poo it up.

Given how every time I was alone with some other member of the team that person eventually made snide comments about this guy, it wouldn't surprise me if he was asked to tender his resignation in exchange for some kind of severance.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dolemite posted:

The only reason I took the job in the first place was because I was working retail before that and I was desperate to get out. I don't recommend taking those jobs unless you need a short term filler while you find something better. I was going to do that but I was never able to find anything better.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Cup of Hemlock posted:

How did she take it?

She seemed to understand she was being personally insulting. She did get a little defensive by saying she just wants to see improvements here and there. To be honest though, I'm ready to leave anyway - I just really wanted to get it off my chest.

I get a new boss this Friday anyway! (New director coming)

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Renegret posted:

The only reason I took the job in the first place was because I was working retail before that and I was desperate to get out. I don't recommend taking those jobs unless you need a short term filler while you find something better. I was going to do that but I was never able to find anything better.

Similar to the spot I was in. I had been brought into a company as a temp doing data entry (because it beat not working at all), and they set up and then fired their System Analyst. As the company used mostly interlocked Access/Excel applications and I'm quite good with both of them (plus VBA and SQL), they hired me and then had me take over his job but refused to give me a raise from the Data Entry rate I was making.

So I went looking, found a better job that makes quite a bit more, but it was via an agency and doing the 6-months-to-hire thing. It was still the right call, but this is the first time that a temp-to-hire gig HASN'T resulted in me being hired.

So I'm back to looking because I really do NOT want to work for that Sheldon Cooper-meets-PHB boss of mine any longer than I have to.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Some rear end in a top hat at work has this quote in his email signature. :cripes:

quote:

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not”
Thomas Jefferson

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

HiroProtagonist posted:

Some rear end in a top hat at work has this quote in his email signature. :cripes:

I think the correct answer here is to put quotes from Franklins "Advice to a Friend on Choosing a Mistress" in your own signature.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We used to have to send inspirational quotes to our manager for some bullshit motiviational thing and I would always send quotes from The Lesser Wisdom of Benjamin Franklin . When I saw one taped up onto my managers cube, I felt the closest thing to job satisfaction yet.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

HiroProtagonist posted:

Comedy option: respond to his emails with this one in your signature

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Can we outlaw the use of the term bio break, please?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Sundae posted:

Can we outlaw the use of the term bio break, please?

Is your office also raiding together in WoW?

Edit: That's the only time it is ok to say bio break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mine say it too.

And they get really weird when I say I'm gonna take a piss real quick.