Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo does intend to roll them out for general purpose at some point but there's no ETA, it'll happen when it happens. They announced N64 games ages ago and haven't said anything since, and they started releasing Wii games with no warning whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Andrast posted:

Is there any good reason for that or is Nintendo just being Nintendo?

Anything would be speculation. The "good reason" for the Wii U gamepad not being able to be used in Wii mode, as told multiple times by the people in this thread, is that it was "impossible for the Wii to be able to recognize it." Now Nintendo has confirmed gamepad support in Wii mode for select Wii downloadable games. Nintendo is very secretive, so I would take anything that people say in this thread (or anywhere), short of an official press release from Nintendo to be nothing more than speculation.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man c'mon, put some DS games on the eShop for the 3DS Nintendo.

c'moooooonnnnnn

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
What great DS games may I have missed? I recently played Portrait of Ruin, and I was very neutral on that game. Loved the GBA ones, but there was just something about that one that I didn't enjoy like the others. I liked it enough to finish it, but it was very ho-hum for me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Looking to burn off my 400 points, how is Golden Sun? I really enjoy 16-bit era JRPGs, wanted to know if it's any good.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I think the only DS VC thing I'd like to see is a Super Mario 64 DS that uses the circle pad properly for movement. That would require some extra work though, since the original game used the touch screen for that stuff (and I had forgotten about that weird thumb-pad stylus nub thing they packed in with the original DS, did anyone ever use that?).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

TL posted:

Looking to burn off my 400 points, how is Golden Sun? I really enjoy 16-bit era JRPGs, wanted to know if it's any good.

Do you like extremely long sections of unskippable dialogue that do nothing to advance the plot and just consist of emoticons and people repeating the same things over and over? If so, you'll love Golden Sun.

The battle system is fun, I guess.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Kelp Plankton posted:

I think the only DS VC thing I'd like to see is a Super Mario 64 DS that uses the circle pad properly for movement. That would require some extra work though, since the original game used the touch screen for that stuff (and I had forgotten about that weird thumb-pad stylus nub thing they packed in with the original DS, did anyone ever use that?).

I have mine attached to my 3ds to this day! Very convenient when you need to tap the screen once or twice without pulling out your stylus

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

It feels pretty good with the CirclePad, but I guess it isn't really analog stick support, yeah. I would buy a re-jiggered M64DS.

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pokemon Shuffle, the 3DS Candy Crush-esque game announced in the last Direct, will be launching on February 18. Does anyone care?

Yeah, I'll probably be playing this. I'll need something to play on my New XL.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do you like extremely long sections of unskippable dialogue that do nothing to advance the plot and just consist of emoticons and people repeating the same things over and over? If so, you'll love Golden Sun.

The battle system is fun, I guess.

The overworld puzzles using your psychic abilities are also pretty fun, and the graphics are really good. It's just half a story padded with way too much dialogue. But not all people play RPGs for the story. Ulillillia for example.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TL posted:

I like it, but when I brought it up in the thread a few pages ago, everyone else seemed less than enthused.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Sun was kind of good for its time because it was 'wow a SNES quality RPG on a handheld' but had a bunch of flaws too.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Guignol posted:

I have mine attached to my 3ds to this day! Very convenient when you need to tap the screen once or twice without pulling out your stylus

If only we had some kind of stylus-like appendage readily available for such situations..

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Froist posted:

If only we had some kind of stylus-like appendage readily available for such situations..

Women play games too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

Women play games too.

Some women have penises.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Jawtramp posted:

Yeah, I'll probably be playing this. I'll need something to play on my New XL.

Just get Battle Trozei instead, it's great and insanely addictive.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Pardon my confusion, but you cannot play Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii U gamepad correct (the new eshop version)?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
That's right, you need a Wiimote + Nunchuk. You can use the gamepad as a screen and as a sensor bar if you so choose, but not as a controller.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Pardon my confusion, but you cannot play Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii U gamepad correct (the new eshop version)?

You can, but you need a Wiimote and nunchuck to control it. The gamepad functions as the screen.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Thanks, that's what I figured.

When I bought the Wii U I thought the gamepad "off tv play" was just a bullshit gimmick, but as an aging gamerdad I appreciate being able to lay in bed and play Wind Waker or SNES virtual console games without being in the living room. I really hope they get some N64 stuff on VC pronto.

I recently got Earthbound and I really wish I could get into it, but not showing your party during combat really bugs me :/

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Thanks, that's what I figured.

When I bought the Wii U I thought the gamepad "off tv play" was just a bullshit gimmick, but as an aging gamerdad I appreciate being able to lay in bed and play Wind Waker or SNES virtual console games without being the in the living room. I really hope they get some N64 stuff on VC pronto.

And because of the low resolution of GBA games, I think they look better on the Gamepad than my TV.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fremry posted:

And because of the low resolution of GBA games, I think they look better on the Gamepad than my TV.

I'd probably agree, even though I don't mind too much. I bought a GameCube and a Game Boy Player as my Christmas present to myself, and while I really enjoy being able to play GBA games on my flat screen, they do like a bit of a mess. Also, the GBP window border looks odd; must be the HD screen. It's thicker on one side than the other. No issues with the game window, though.

irlZaphod posted:

There aren't any DS games on any Virtual Console, aside from Japan randomly getting one of the Advance Wars DS games through the JP Club Nintendo, and Europe/Aus similarly getting Brain Training randomly (for free) on the eShop.

Duh - you're right; silly me. Still, I was mostly just trying to point out to the chap who was talking about Ecclesia that it's still in print on cartridge, can be had for a decent price, and can be played on a 3DS since it is a DS game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Fremry posted:

What great DS games may I have missed? I recently played Portrait of Ruin, and I was very neutral on that game. Loved the GBA ones, but there was just something about that one that I didn't enjoy like the others. I liked it enough to finish it, but it was very ho-hum for me.

The World Ends with You and Ghost Trick.

That said, the DS has tons of awesome games in general. But check those two out first if you haven't yet.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Heads up, Breath of Fire is coming out on the NA VC tomorrow

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I recently got Earthbound and I really wish I could get into it, but not showing your party during combat really bugs me :/

Stare at the battle backgrounds long enough and you won't mind

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Froist posted:

Bite me, I'm not smudging up my beautiful screen with finger oils :colbert:
I also play kid icarus with it, which is surprisingly effective and worth a try for anyone having trouble with cramping problems

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Froist posted:

Andrast posted:

Women play games too.

They don't have fingers?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

A good poster posted:

They don't have fingers?

Please change your name to A pure poster

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Does Link's Awakening still hold up? I have pretty fond memories but I was 10 at the time.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Malt posted:

Does Link's Awakening still hold up? I have pretty fond memories but I was 10 at the time.

As much as every Zelda game does

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Malt posted:

If you can deal with clunky item switching and the Gameboy graphics, it holds up. I played it for the first time last year and enjoyed it.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Malt posted:

Yes. For the most part.

This poo poo is almost as annoying as Fi.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Link's awakening would benefit so much from a remake where one button is always sword, you have a couple item slots, and one button is interact/lift with the power bracelets automatically equipped, but I don't think they ever will remake it.

Even without all that it's really good, just don't run into objects you pick up unless you have a bracelet equipped, or else you will get annoyed rather quickly because the game will scold you every time. It's easy not to do though.

It's not that annoying because you just don't run into pots all the time if you're not dumb.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Duck of Death posted:

Yes. For the most part.

This poo poo is almost as annoying as Fi.

But the compass has a new feature!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Rirse posted:

But the compass has a new feature!

*wrroo wrroo wrrroo*

YOU GOT A GUARDIAN ACORN. IT WILL REDUCE THE DAMAGE YOU TAKE BY HALF!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Oracle of Ages, Seasons and Awakening could all do with a remake a bit like Ocarina of Time for 3DS. Not a full on 3d remake, but just having more buttons and, as stated, having a sword button and then about 3 other buttons for various tools and sub-weapons, with the touch screen for switching. I wouldn't mind seeing Link to the Past get the same treatment, even if Link Between Worlds is very (perhaps too) similar. Put those in a (3)DS compilation disc and I'd rebuy the heck out of them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh and get rid of the loving mermaid suit god drat piece of poo poo.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ineffiable posted:

*wrroo wrroo wrrroo*

YOU GOT A GUARDIAN ACORN. IT WILL REDUCE THE DAMAGE YOU TAKE BY HALF!

You know the worst thing about finding this item is the fact the music is replaced for several minutes. Which is a shame since the dungeon themes in Link Awakening is quite good for a gameboy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

the power-up themes are pretty good too though. Also Link's Awakening is actually a perfect game already, so I'm not sure why it'd need a remake.

And having a sword button would be silly, half the fun of LA is not using the sword.