Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Chinook posted:

Not a really good answer, but have you tried putting Minecraft on the "peaceful" difficulty setting? No monsters and very relaxed.

I don't know exactly how sedate Planet Explorers is, but it looks pretty cool to me. It's on Steam, watch a trailer. Lots of building stuff.

I like Stranded 2, but it's not exactly Open World. It'll scratch the itch a bit, though.

I'd like to know some suggestions for this, too :)

Yeah, but even then... I dunno. Minecraft is close to what I want but it's hard to say why I want to look elsewhere. I guess I'm hoping to find similar stuff to see whether or not something else out there might have that quality that I can't define or quite put my finger on.

I think my ideal game would be a mixture of Haven & Hearth, Unreal World, and Minecraft. I liked all of those games in varying ways and each one is ALMOST what I want but each has some flaw that makes it not quite right for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

khy posted:

Is there a good first-person open-world game that focuses heavily on exploration and crafting? Something similar to Minecraft but slightly more sedate?

I'll second Stranded 2. Get lost on an island, collect food, cut down trees, build shelters/huts/wells/gardens. Sail around the island on a raft. It's graphics are rather old, but the whole thing has quite the charm to it. There's a campaign with multiple islands with specific goals or random island mode. Definitely not the infinite world of minecraft, but the large island on easy is pretty sizable with plenty of resources.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What you guys want is Pangenesis. Also I heard Starmade is good, but I have not yet tried it. Both are currently free to play, with plans to become pay when more content is added.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 1, 2015

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Is there any game where you can play as native americans? Aside from RTS's like american conquest and Age of Empires 3.
North America prior to manifest destiny is a criminally overlooked setting for games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

GyverMac posted:

Is there any game where you can play as native americans? Aside from RTS's like american conquest and Age of Empires 3.
North America prior to manifest destiny is a criminally overlooked setting for games.

Never Alone is a platformer that was made by the Alaskan Native community and is based around Native mythology. I think it's very short though.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
There's an expansion for Empire: Total War called The Warpath Campaign, which lets you play as Iroquois, Huron, Plains, Pueblo and Cherokee nations.

You don't get to play any of them in the Grand Campaign mode though. Would be cool to defeat the European colonists and then conquer Europe, and India for the hell of it :v:

Instead you're limited to a few campaigns that keep to northern America.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

GyverMac posted:

Would Europa Universalis work? There's even alt-history scenarios where you can invade Europe as the Aztecs

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Any life simulators folks would care to recommend? The sort of game where you build up a character by making decisions over the course of their life, with the ultimate goal being to see what your choices have wrought? Lots of story content you won't see on every playthrough is a plus. I'm not interested in dating sims unless they bring something to the table other than 'which of these half-dozen people will I take to the prom'. PC preferred, but I'll consider 3DS titles if they exist.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Iron Rose posted:

For the 3DS Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default, and Pokemon are all good choices. And also the only games I own on the 3DS, but they're all great.

So anything besides jrpgs?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

GyverMac posted:

Assassin's Creed 3 has you playing as a half Mohawk, half English, during the American Revolution. I make no promises about the quality/historical accuracy of the plot or characters, though.

FredMSloniker posted:

Any life simulators folks would care to recommend? The sort of game where you build up a character by making decisions over the course of their life, with the ultimate goal being to see what your choices have wrought? Lots of story content you won't see on every playthrough is a plus. I'm not interested in dating sims unless they bring something to the table other than 'which of these half-dozen people will I take to the prom'. PC preferred, but I'll consider 3DS titles if they exist.

There are a few:

Alter Ego is a web browser game (I think recently they developed a phone app for it) and it's basically what you're asking for. You're born in the real world, no magic, no sci fi, no nothing. Just a normal life and your decisions.

Achademagia is you playing Not-Harry Potter's first year of schol, dividying your time between adventures, studying and a bit of socialicing. Pretty freeform and you're free to set your own goals, with most adventures consisting on 3 or 4 scenarios that you tackle when you feel ready.

God Save the Queen is more story focused. You're the Anime Magician Princess of a medieval kingdom after your mother's death. There are a variety of skills to learn, from falconry to Roasting Your Enemies Alive with Magic, and the point is surviving all the rebellions, assassination attempts and general dickery of your neighbours while coping with the death of your mother. Despite the art style, is pretty dark at times, and you're bound to die several a lot of times before reaching the end of the plot.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks for reminding me about Alter Ego, I can't wait to die of malaria at the age of 6 again.

e: Wait, Alter Ego's not the one I was thinking of. I was thinking of a game where you're born in to a random family in a random part of the world and you live out your life based on real (I think?) data about your homeland, finding love, getting married, getting a job, making investments and maybe going to school, having children, etc. all in tune with what someone really born in to that family would do. Does anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Found it, it was Real Lives:
http://www.educationalsimulations.com/

It costs $30 and there doesn't seem to be a demo for the newest version (RealLives2010), but I found a fileplanet link to an old version of the demo:
http://www.fileplanet.com/120606/download/Real-Lives-Demo
(will not run on a modern OS, but the website says 2010 will)

I remember the demo itself being a lot of fun and I think it was almost feature complete, with some stuff like being able to choose where you're born only being available if you played. You should check it out if you have any interest in Life Sim games but also everyone should play it because it's fun and educational.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 2, 2015

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I need a space combat game where I can control a big fuckoff battleship. I tried X3 and the busywork to explosions ratio is a little high for my tastes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

GruntyThrst posted:

I need a space combat game where I can control a big fuckoff battleship. I tried X3 and the busywork to explosions ratio is a little high for my tastes.

Freelancer has capital ships (especially with mods) and is a lot less sim-my than the X series.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

GruntyThrst posted:

Seeing this post made me check on a really awesome kickstarter I once found called Flagship which allowed you to control giant space fleet battles from first person perspectives, but it looks like the funding failed :(

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

May not be exactly what you're looking for but I love both of these games because you get to control spaceships with increasingly devastating armaments. Your battleships in both of these games are big in the sense that they have massively overwhelming firepower rather than physical size of the ship. They're also both 2D and top-down so sorry if that's not what you're looking for!

Starsector is an incredibly fun game with tons of cool weapons to customize your ship with and an active modding scene adding in new ships and weapons. You start off with a small ship and build/upgrade a fleet as you go along, and some of the bigger ships can get relatively enormous with tons of weapon mounts:

Boss Constructor is currently 25% off on Steam ($13.50) and is a slower-paced top-down single-ship space where every ship is made of modular blocks which can be shot off, collected, and added to your own ship. The ships don't get completely enormous (yet?) but you can balance energy generation/firepower/armor/movement/etc. however you want. My ship is pretty much a big armored Borg cube that vomits missiles in every direction. The editor is very easy to use and allows you to modify keybinds on the fly while editing your ship, so you can tie specific functions or group of functions to any key you want. There's a whole lot of possible depth in the editor but not enough content yet to make it necessary.

Fair warning: Both of these games are still in development, but both are completely playable. Starsector was a little short on content last time I played but an active modding community had addressed that. Boss Constructor is very short on content but it has received over 50 updates since EA started 3 months ago - they're small but rapid. I'm not sure if I would say Boss Constructor has enough content to buy if you're looking for a game to sink dozens of hours in to right now, but Starsector is definitely worth the price if you look in to mods.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 2, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FredMSloniker posted:

Academagia is pretty not-dating-simish. Some of the decisions can be pretty weird though. Fortunately you can almost always try again and it tells you what skill you need to increase usually. There's a goon LP of it. It is really, really long and text heavy. Graphics consist of the occasional still frame image that I mostly ignored. There are a ton of DLC that come packaged with the game now, but it hasn't had any new development in years.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any space sim/trader games that feature smuggling as a big (albiet optional) component? One thing I liked about Freelancer was how you could take all these various routes outside the trade lanes and find pirate/criminal stations that sold illegal goods for super cheap, then you could sneak it into the more "civilized" areas and sell for a massive profit if you could avoid scans from the police. Does Elite: Dangerous have anything like that?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are there any space sim/trader games that feature smuggling as a big (albiet optional) component? One thing I liked about Freelancer was how you could take all these various routes outside the trade lanes and find pirate/criminal stations that sold illegal goods for super cheap, then you could sneak it into the more "civilized" areas and sell for a massive profit if you could avoid scans from the police. Does Elite: Dangerous have anything like that?

You can't buy black-market goods, that I know of, but things that are legal in one jurisdiction can be illegal in another, requiring you to sneak them into the station. Anything you pick up from the hold of another ship is also marked stolen (unless it's a player who uses the 'abandon' function). That said, the trickiest part of smuggling is not being randomly stopped by the cops on your way to sell them; once you're in the vicinity of the station, there are multiple ways to avoid detection. Do note, though, that not every station has a black market.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Star Trader has that stuff. Not much to look at, but I thought it was fun.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The correct answer to this conundrum is: Starpoint Gemini 2. It's a bit pricey at 35$ but it is the Freelancer sequel.

I went through the exact same mood and wasted a lot of cash on the above titles looking for a space trader fix that was a nice middle ground between EVE/X and Elite:Dangerous/Star Citizen.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've been playing a bit of 7 Days to Die with friends, but its performance is pretty bad to the point where it completely freezes for a minute sometimes for one of my friends. Are there any good games like this, that don't have terrible graphics like Minecraft? DayZ is a little to "hardcore", and it doesn't have the building stuff from Minecraft.

Munaus
Jan 10, 2015

William Bear posted:

Are there any other games like Mount & Blade where you start off as a nobody with wimpy equipment, then gradually amass an army and skills and take over bases and be a major player in world politics? I've also played an online browser game like this, Feudalism 2.

I hear the X series by Egosoft is like this in space. Which one is best? Any others I should consider?

I know this reply comes a bit late, but I've been trying to find a game that has the same formula as M&B warband aswell. And hopefully not sci-fi themed.
I only found one contender

Kenshi
this is a squad based RPG where everyone wields a sword in a desert landscape.
you create a character, hire a bunch of individual dudes, equip everyone armour and med-kits and roam around the sandbox killing bandits.
Your limbs can be striked and your dudes start limping / bleeding out.
you can create your own base
This game is still in Alpha but has a lot of potential.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What's a good Action RPG? Ys is pretty awesome (especially Ys SEVEN) and I liked Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles back in the day, anything else good?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core for PSP? PSP emulation has come a long way. If you do end up playing that, I suggest playing it on Hard because Normal was just way too easy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Munaus posted:

I know this reply comes a bit late, but I've been trying to find a game that has the same formula as M&B warband aswell. And hopefully not sci-fi themed.
I only found one contender

Kenshi
this is a squad based RPG where everyone wields a sword in a desert landscape.
you create a character, hire a bunch of individual dudes, equip everyone armour and med-kits and roam around the sandbox killing bandits.
Your limbs can be striked and your dudes start limping / bleeding out.
you can create your own base
This game is still in Alpha but has a lot of potential.
unfortunately Kenshi's been in alpha for about four years so I can't in good conscience recommend it. It hasn't made massive progress in that time, really.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know the emphasis has been on Open World (tm) for a while now, but any good, linear FPS games come out for PC in the past two or three years? Excluding Wolfenstein: NO, the Metro games and Shadow Warrior, but kind of in that vein.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 12, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

ninjewtsu posted:

What's a good Action RPG? Ys is pretty awesome (especially Ys SEVEN) and I liked Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles back in the day, anything else good?
Divinity 2 (Director's Cut or Ego Draconis) is pretty good. Not exactly like Crystal Chronicles but there's some platforming in a similar vein. If you want another game that plays like it on SNES, try Brain Lord with an emulator.

Mordja posted:

I know the emphasis has been on Open World (tm) for a while now, but any good, linear FPS games come out for PC in the past two or three years? Excluding Wolfenstein: NO, the Metro games and Shadow Warrior, but kind of in that vein.
They're not really new, but FEAR is probably cheap on STEAM now now and the AI is still pretty impressive even today. Other older quasi-FPS games that might be worth looking into are Riddick (Assault on Dark Athena includes the much better Butcher Bay port) and Condemned.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mordja posted:

Serious Sam 3 was good after the first couple of levels.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

GyverMac posted:

Turok, duh.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am a huge fan of the Fallout series(save 3). I am deeply indifferent towards the post apocalyptic setting.

I enjoy:

1.) Being able to customize your character extensively. Not cosmetically. But having multiple skills and builds that affect how you interact with the world, and not just through combat. Having a high science skills resulting in being able to understand information that your character discovers or to be able to argue with scientists and doctors is very cool. Being able to sneak and lockpick and bluff around guards instead of just shooting everyone is very cool.

2.) The "mature" storyline. Not drugs and prostitutes and gore, but villains with plausible motivations who are interesting characters. Basically the opposite of Bioware storylines, where you're usually fighting a big bad who wants to destroy the world just because. Also, different factions with amoral or multi-faceted objectives.

3.) Openworld/free-roaming non linearity. Being able to affect the story. I love The Elder Scrolls, but this is the opposite of what I'm looking for. I don't want to be able to just go from dungeon to dungeon at the time of my choosing, but to have a storyline that that allows for many choices and reacts to those choices.

I have played and beaten all the Black Isle/Obsidian/Troika games. I have also played and beaten all of Bioware games, and while they're enjoyable find them far short of what I'm looking for.

Have I exhausted all these types of games? Or are there others? Genre/platform doesn't really matter. I'm currently playing Sunless Sea and find it hits a lot of what I'm looking for, for example.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm assuming you have heard of Wasteland 2 because it's pretty much exactly what you are describing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am a huge fan of the Fallout series(save 3). I am deeply indifferent towards the post apocalyptic setting.

I enjoy:

1.) Being able to customize your character extensively. Not cosmetically. But having multiple skills and builds that affect how you interact with the world, and not just through combat. Having a high science skills resulting in being able to understand information that your character discovers or to be able to argue with scientists and doctors is very cool. Being able to sneak and lockpick and bluff around guards instead of just shooting everyone is very cool.

2.) The "mature" storyline. Not drugs and prostitutes and gore, but villains with plausible motivations who are interesting characters. Basically the opposite of Bioware storylines, where you're usually fighting a big bad who wants to destroy the world just because. Also, different factions with amoral or multi-faceted objectives.

3.) Openworld/free-roaming non linearity. Being able to affect the story. I love The Elder Scrolls, but this is the opposite of what I'm looking for. I don't want to be able to just go from dungeon to dungeon at the time of my choosing, but to have a storyline that that allows for many choices and reacts to those choices.

I have played and beaten all the Black Isle/Obsidian/Troika games. I have also played and beaten all of Bioware games, and while they're enjoyable find them far short of what I'm looking for.

Have I exhausted all these types of games? Or are there others? Genre/platform doesn't really matter. I'm currently playing Sunless Sea and find it hits a lot of what I'm looking for, for example.

Video games like this are really hard to find. Have you played Pillars of Eternity?

I'm also going to suggest something a little different. There's a really fantastic CYOA adventure running right now that you might enjoy: Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens. For a reactive branching plotline, it's hard to beat playing with other people, so I'm going to recommend the trad games subforum. Sometimes it can be pretty hit or miss, but there are some really fantastic games being run there if you can get into the PBP mechanic. 6 or 7 games are looking for new players right now.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

khy posted:

Is there a good first-person open-world game that focuses heavily on exploration and crafting? Something similar to Minecraft but slightly more sedate?

You could try salt - it was pretty neat, sailing around islands making weapons and finding stuff

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

LLSix posted:

Video games like this are really hard to find. Have you played Pillars of Eternity?

I'm also going to suggest something a little different. There's a really fantastic CYOA adventure running right now that you might enjoy: Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens. For a reactive branching plotline, it's hard to beat playing with other people, so I'm going to recommend the trad games subforum. Sometimes it can be pretty hit or miss, but there are some really fantastic games being run there if you can get into the PBP mechanic. 6 or 7 games are looking for new players right now.

I kickstarted Pillars of Eternity and want to stay away from the Beta because I want to go in fresh. But I am incredibly excited for it. Also, Serpent in the Staglands.

Awesome, suggestion, I'll check it out! Unfortunately my work commitments may limit my ability to take part in something collaborative. There don't seem to be many AAA(or even A or B) games that match watch what I'm looking for. Sunless Sea and Fallen London have fulfilled what I've been looking for more than anything, so I've been trying to branch out to different experiences. So far I've found that some of the games that have fulfilled what I'm looking for the most are unexpected: browser games like Fallen London, and phone games like 80 days and the Sorcery! series. I've also been interested in checking out MUDs and text adventures(I know we have a MUD thread, but suggestions as to the wheat from the chaff would be very welcome).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

khy posted:

Try Space Engineers. It's still technically in Alpha, but they add new content every week and you can now roam nigh-infinite world sizes with asteroids everywhere in your own self-built ships. There's no NPC mobs yet though, but they're working at it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can anyone recommend a game for the PC Like pokemon, but more number crunchy / harder? Preferrably with multiplayer and an active community of some sort. Bonus points if I can get boosts of some sort by playing it on my phone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

Can anyone recommend a game for the PC Like pokemon, but more number crunchy / harder? Preferrably with multiplayer and an active community of some sort. Bonus points if I can get boosts of some sort by playing it on my phone.

You just brought up getting a 2DS in the 3DS thread, so instead of something on the PC I'd suggest go take a look at Shin Megami Tensei IV.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
if you don't mind playing something more similar to pokemon there is also the fan project pokemon omicron/zeta which is from all accounts quite good http://www.pokemonzetaomicron.com/

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try Space Engineers. It's still technically in Alpha, but they add new content every week and you can now roam nigh-infinite world sizes with asteroids everywhere in your own self-built ships. There's no NPC mobs yet though, but they're working at it.

There are AI ships you can capture and pillage now. They're unmanned but will try to shoot you as long as they have ammo. Also, sometimes rigged to blow up if you take them off course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Turtlicious posted:

Maybe Persona 3/4 on a PS2 emulator? Or SMT: Nocturne for something more challenging and insanely spreadsheet-y with the demon hiring and combining.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 16, 2015