Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

OneWhoKnows posted:

Well, that makes sense. I always thought you were including the issuer's EIN/SSN to help the IRS track what you were claiming as income, but I guess they already know!

You only need to include the payor's tax ID number if the 1099 reports withholding. Just FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
My wife and I overpaid both Federal and State taxes so we knew we'd be getting nice refunds this tax season. For that reason I filed our taxes in mid-January as our tax situation is pretty straight-forward (not in school, single steady job for each of us, no mortgage/kids/stocks, etc).

We received our Federal refund within 10 days or so. Maryland sent us a notice saying they need to verify our w-2's as they don't show us paying any taxes this year (???).

I mailed our w-2's over two weeks ago. The Comptrollers Office says they don't have a "note" in their system indicating the verification office has received or reviewed anything. But then they (I've spoken with several different reps) stress that I shouldn't re-send as that'll "confuse" things. I fear I know where this is headed.

Good luck Goons!

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EugeneJ posted:

...having your tax bill be as close to even as possible is optimal. A refund just means you overpaid during the year.

TenjouUtena posted:

If you have no deductions (the one that comes to mind might apply is student loan debt), then this makes perfect sense as to why your withholdings are exactly accurate. Your federal tax rate is 7.5%, that seems about correct. You don't have any of the normal situations that would give you tax advantage (owning a home, kids, marriage, etc.)
Thanks!

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Tortilla Maker posted:

My wife and I overpaid both Federal and State taxes so we knew we'd be getting nice refunds this tax season. For that reason I filed our taxes in mid-January as our tax situation is pretty straight-forward (not in school, single steady job for each of us, no mortgage/kids/stocks, etc).

We received our Federal refund within 10 days or so. Maryland sent us a notice saying they need to verify our w-2's as they don't show us paying any taxes this year (???).

I mailed our w-2's over two weeks ago. The Comptrollers Office says they don't have a "note" in their system indicating the verification office has received or reviewed anything. But then they (I've spoken with several different reps) stress that I shouldn't re-send as that'll "confuse" things. I fear I know where this is headed.

Good luck Goons!

Oregon started this a couple years ago when some lady (with balls of steel) filed a fake return with a fake $3,000,000 W-2 showing $2,000,000 OR withholding and they GAVE HER THE MONEY. On a prepaid debit card. Which she promptly lost twice.

Anyways, the states have had a heck of a time trying to tie out withholding and the fraudsters have moved onto the states. Answer the letter, send in the W-2s, and just wait. Call in two more weeks or so.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

furushotakeru posted:

You only need to include the payor's tax ID number if the 1099 reports withholding. Just FYI.

No need to include the payor's tax ID number if they only value they have for me is on box 7/nonemployee compensation?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I like to enter online sweepstakes because free gambling is fun. I understand setting aside money for things I win that I want (trips, cash, etc), but if I win a kitchen cookware/tableware package that I want to donate to a local charity is there a way to avoid the tax hit on it? I can always reject such a prize, but I'd prefer to accept things I don't need and donate them to reputable charities. My wife and I currently do not itemize our deductions.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
I just got a substitute 1098 statement from our Mortgage lender. I had already filed our taxes/paid the IRS money. How do I go about modifying this? Per turbotax adding this to my taxes will mean we had overpaid by ~1000$. What can I do to fix this? Should I just re-efile via Turbo Tax?

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm pissed nonetheless.

I had a simple return this year, and could free-file: a few education credits, student loan interest, nothing fancy.

Then I got a 1099-B from selling a note on Prosper.com to close out my account. It shows a sale of $13.92 with the basis not reported to the IRS (but it does list the basis on the form) for a long-term capital gain of $0.09.

In order to correctly report the basis, I have to file a Schedule D which will require paying for filing my taxes, correct? Could I not report that sale and then if the IRS gets mad over taxes they think I owe of $2 just send them the 1099-B that reports the basis? Or does the fact that the 1099-B that they presumably sent to the IRS include the basis on it take care of it?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

DogsCantBudget posted:

I just got a substitute 1098 statement from our Mortgage lender. I had already filed our taxes/paid the IRS money. How do I go about modifying this? Per turbotax adding this to my taxes will mean we had overpaid by ~1000$. What can I do to fix this? Should I just re-efile via Turbo Tax?

You would need to file an amended return (Form 1040X). Not sure if Turbotax does that, but you can always print it out from the iRS website and do it by hand. Read the instructions, it makes you mail in attachments and you mail it all to a different address. Efile of amended returns is not allowed.

State will need to be amended as well.

Oooorrrrrr......

Take the lazy way and wait 10 months. The IRS computers will issue you a CP2000 notice where they correct your mistake, re-run the taxes for you, and tell you the difference to pay. As long as you haven't moved between now and then you'll get the notice. They'll helpfully notify your state as well who will also send you a corrected tax bill.

Method B will incur some interest charges, but they might be worth it instead of having you screw around with it.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

AbbiTheDog posted:

You would need to file an amended return (Form 1040X). Not sure if Turbotax does that, but you can always print it out from the iRS website and do it by hand. Read the instructions, it makes you mail in attachments and you mail it all to a different address. Efile of amended returns is not allowed.

Oooorrrrrr......

Take the lazy way and wait 10 months. The IRS computers will issue you a CP2000 notice where they correct your mistake, re-run the taxes for you, and tell you the difference to pay. As long as you haven't moved between now and then you'll get the notice. They'll helpfully notify your state as well who will also send you a corrected tax bill.

Method B will incur some interest charges, but they might be worth it instead of having you screw around with it.

I feel like letting the gov't sit on 1000$ for 10 months is a bad idea/bad with money?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

DogsCantBudget posted:

I feel like letting the gov't sit on 1000$ for 10 months is a bad idea/bad with money?

Depends on whether you feel like screwing around with a 1040X or not.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

AbbiTheDog posted:

Depends on whether you feel like screwing around with a 1040X or not.

Does the CP 2000 get issued if the IRS owes you an additional refund? I thought it was just for when they thought you owed more taxes.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

AbbiTheDog posted:

Oooorrrrrr......

I've never seen a letter from the IRS telling a client that they're entitled to a bigger refund than they claimed.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Epi Lepi posted:

I've never seen a letter from the IRS telling a client that they're entitled to a bigger refund than they claimed.

This.

CP2000's only come out when you forgot to report income (or when they think you might have), not for additional deductions.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

This.

CP2000's only come out when you forgot to report income (or when they think you might have), not for additional deductions.

I misread his post as he owed the IRS funds. Ah well.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DogsCantBudget posted:

So yeah, if you want to see that additional refund, file the 1040X.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

I was audited one time. The only thing wrong was that I had failed to take the earned income credit. I misunderstood it to be only for people with dependents. They sent me a check and an explanation of what I did wrong. I can't help but be confused when people are worried about being audited.

On another note, how much refund is enough that you should consider adjusting withholding? I can't seem to find any information about how granular withholding really is.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

I have a 1098-E for Student Loan interest. I moved mid-year from a PA job and home to live in NJ with a NY job. When doing my NY nonresident state taxes, it wants to know how much of my student loan interest is the NY Source portion.. My 1098-E only gives me the full year of course. Do I just go into my payment history from my student loan servicer (Great Lakes) and add up all the interest I paid since I moved to figure out that number?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Leviathan Song posted:

On another note, how much refund is enough that you should consider adjusting withholding? I can't seem to find any information about how granular withholding really is.

Not sure if there's a rule of thumb, but my refund this year was over $3k and I would have preferred it to be under $1k. I used this tool: http://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/ and based on my/my husband's situation this year (raises etc) it says we can expect a refund of over $8k next year. :stare: If I update my W-4 or whatever according to its recommendations it says I can expect a refund next year closer to $400.

Sooo... my complete lack of experience gut feeling says like $500 to $1000?

e: Whoops, broken link. vvvv Yeah, I guess it's intended to be a quick-and-dirty figure-er. I have one unusual tax thing that didn't come up in its questions, but I still liked the ballpark given.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 12, 2015

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

drat Bananas posted:

Not sure if there's a rule of thumb, but my refund this year was over $3k and I would have preferred it to be under $1k. I used this tool: http://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/index3.jsp and based on my/my husband's situation this year (raises etc) it says we can expect a refund of over $8k next year. :stare: If I update my W-4 or whatever according to its recommendations it says I can expect a refund next year closer to $400.

Sooo... my complete lack of experience gut feeling says like $500 to $1000?

I guess my withholding is about right since I'm getting about 400 back then.

I don't really like that calculator as it asks a whole bunch of irrelevant questions and doesn't take into account my situation. Like why do I need to know my current withholding to calculate my future withholding? I wish there was a table of what the actual numerical result of a withholding was instead.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leviathan Song posted:

I don't really like that calculator as it asks a whole bunch of irrelevant questions and doesn't take into account my situation. Like why do I need to know my current withholding to calculate my future withholding? I wish there was a table of what the actual numerical result of a withholding was instead.

http://www.paycheckcity.com/cointuitonlinepayroll/netpaycalculator.asp

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Thanks, that's much better. Based on that I do have the correct number of allowances.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

My wife and I moved from NY to MA this year. We were in NY for 75% of the year and MA for 25% (roughly).

Her company has offices in NY and in MA. She got two W-2s - one for her time in NY, one for her time in MA. On both W-2s the Federal numbers match up. So far, so good. The one for MA shows a state income that represents the amount she earned in MA (roughly 25% of her Federal income). But here's where it gets wrong/confusing: the W-2 for NY shows state income that is 100% of her Federal income, which seems impossible - it should be 75% of that number, right?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

HerrBrau posted:

My wife and I moved from NY to MA this year. We were in NY for 75% of the year and MA for 25% (roughly).

Her company has offices in NY and in MA. She got two W-2s - one for her time in NY, one for her time in MA. On both W-2s the Federal numbers match up. So far, so good. The one for MA shows a state income that represents the amount she earned in MA (roughly 25% of her Federal income). But here's where it gets wrong/confusing: the W-2 for NY shows state income that is 100% of her Federal income, which seems impossible - it should be 75% of that number, right?

This is just how NY state does things, I'm given to understand. :(

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

That makes no sense to me. I think it must be a mistake. I would understand that if her company didn't have an office in MA, that she'd continue paying NY taxes, but they have an office in MA and the employees there don't get taxed by NY.

This is what happened with my job for a few weeks - I was working remote for a company without an office in MA, so I paid NY taxes (and will pay MA taxes for those few weeks and take a credit for taxes paid in another state, NY).

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

TenjouUtena posted:

This is just how NY state does things, I'm given to understand. :(

Yeah, but you still only claim the actual NY amount on your return, despite it not being on any of your forms. It makes the return take a little longer.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
- Do you pay taxes for rolling a 401k over to another 401k plan?
- Unrelated: A former employer gave me a SIMPLE IRA. I converted it into a roth IRA. I assumed that the tax from the conversion would be the only thing I would pay since I didn't keep any of the SIMPLE IRA in cash, but I got a 1099-R form today so I guess I gotta file. Good thing Turbotax lets you amend returns.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 13, 2015

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Bisty Q. posted:

Yeah, but you still only claim the actual NY amount on your return, despite it not being on any of your forms. It makes the return take a little longer.
Yeah, this was my thought - take the Federal amount and subtract the MA amount to get the NY amount. I worried, though, that having different numbers from what's on the W-2 would cause NY to pitch a fit. It's a ton of math, either way, considering the fact that our move to MA overlapped with my job in NY for a few weeks, so I also have to figure out how much of that income was taxable in both NY and MA.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Most states have a form for partial residency credits. I had to fill one out when I filed when I moved from MA to RI.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I did my 1040 last Sunday, mailed it on Wednesday, and today realized that I failed to check the box on line 61, for the full year of health insurance coverage, for which I paid directly. Should I wait for a notice before I fill out a 1040x?

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
How do losses on stock sales work out, generally? Do you get more money back? Less money? Or are losses simply not taxed?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You can subtract up to $3000 of overall stock losses from your other income each year, which would get you back $500 or so (since you already withheld taxes on that $3000). If you lost more than $3000, you can carry over the excess to future years.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
e: Alright I figured it all out. The number reported in my W2 is the amount I paid to my HSA pre tax, and the amount shown on my 1099-SA is the amount of money I've spent from the HSA. I'm still not sure if I need to account for employer contributions somewhere though.

Trying to file my taxes right now (TaxACT) and I'm really confused about my HSA account. My employer gave "free" bonus contributions every quarter (did not come from my pay) and I contributed an amount every month (deducted from my pay, pre-tax I believe). How do I enter this free money or do I not need to?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 14, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Another thing I'm not sure about is how to answer questions about my health insurance eligibility. I started my job in February and received health insurance benefits a month later. Before that I was without health insurance. Would I say I was eligible for a HDHP all year or no? Also I guess I'll need to pay taxes for the couple months I didn't have health insurance.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Another thing I'm not sure about is how to answer questions about my health insurance eligibility. I started my job in February and received health insurance benefits a month later. Before that I was without health insurance. Would I say I was eligible for a HDHP all year or no? Also I guess I'll need to pay taxes for the couple months I didn't have health insurance.

Form 8965. Did you qualify for an exception?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

sullat posted:

Form 8965. Did you qualify for an exception?

No I don't think so. I just didn't have health insurance because I only moved back to the US at the end of 2013, and accepted my job in like December with a starting date of February, so I just didn't bother with health insurance for the few months it would take to get set up through work.

e: Actually, I might qualify for "short coverage gap" and/or "citizen living abroad," and/or "gap coverage at the beginning of 2014."

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 14, 2015

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: Actually, I might qualify for "short coverage gap" and/or "citizen living abroad," and/or "gap coverage at the beginning of 2014."

If your coverage gap was 3 months or less in 2014, you shouldn't have to pay an ACA penalty.

See question #22:
http://www.irs.gov/Affordable-Care-Act/Individuals-and-Families/Questions-and-Answers-on-the-Individual-Shared-Responsibility-Provision

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

JohnnyPalace posted:

If your coverage gap was 3 months or less in 2014, you shouldn't have to pay an ACA penalty.

See question #22:
http://www.irs.gov/Affordable-Care-Act/Individuals-and-Families/Questions-and-Answers-on-the-Individual-Shared-Responsibility-Provision

Cool, that answers one question. I'm still at a standstill on filing because I'm not sure if/how to report employer contributions to my HSA.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cool, that answers one question. I'm still at a standstill on filing because I'm not sure if/how to report employer contributions to my HSA.

The employer contributions should be included in the code W account in box 12 of your W2-the contributions you made pre-tax through patrol deductions should also be in that amount and are treated as employer contributions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

urnisme posted:

The employer contributions should be included in the code W account in box 12 of your W2-the contributions you made pre-tax through patrol deductions should also be in that amount and are treated as employer contributions.

It is not included in that box. Great, so I need to deal with more HR bullshit on Monday.