Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ManOfTheYear posted:

Hey goons, what's the best way to stretch to enhance your recovery? Never been much of a strecher but jesus christ I'm at that point where I absolutely have to. So how long should the stretches be and how often should I do them? 30-60 seconds per stretch and two or three rounds or what?

Steam rooms post practice are great if you have access to one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
In gym sauna. The benefits of Finland.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

General Emergency posted:

Canne de Combat looks funky as heck. Has anyone practiced it? Belt colors? gently caress that. Pommel colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSFL0bwb-44

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Canne :love:

I know some Finnish ADAC guys who sometimes practice with Canne and Bāton techniques but I'm afraid you'd need to live in France to regularly train in Canne de Combat...

edit:

RE: stretching, enough has been said already but my small contribution to the discussion is don't god darn do long stretches after a heavy workout. 5 seconds a stretch is ok. It's enough. If you start doing 30+ seconds right after 1,5h of sparring or a muscle busting, sweaty spraying gym session you'll just be sore as gently caress the next day or two. Pre-workout: dynamic stretches or 3-5 second ones, post-workout 5 second ones. You can do long, deep stretching something like 90-120 minutes after your workout; you'll still be limber enough not to injure yourself.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 11, 2015

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So what's the deal with people a bit more serious about boxing or muay thai? Pair of 12 oz for bag work and 16 for sparring? I just use my 16oz fairtex ones for everything

Anyone recommend a good mesh/breathable gym bag? I have a small meister one but getting my shin guards and gloves in there is a pain and if I start carrying two gloves...
Bonus points for backpack option

Looking at this meister one

http://www.amazon.com/Meister-MMA-C...ter+mma+gym+bag

They don't allow 16oz in my club.10 prefered, 12 is pushing it depending of the brand (for example a 12oz.Top King super air weighs 14oz. and they are BIG) and 16oz is way too big for a bunch of the guys here.I'm 1.73 76-78kg and they look and feel massive and make shelling up really easy.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
In my last BJJ class, we did some rounds of tachiwaza (is there a BJJ name for that?), which is something I hadn't tried since I managed to explode my foot doing it in judo 2 years ago. We practiced snapdowns right before the tachiwaza, but other than snapdowns (which is a brand new thing for me), pommeling for underhooks, and drilling a technique a couple of times in my first BJJ class back in November which I've completely forgotten, I haven't done any sort of standing grappling since my short-lived judo experience, so it was a bit intimidating. Somehow, I managed to reverse a guy who shot in on me by kinda, sorta sprawling, reaching over him, grabbing one of his legs with both of my arms, and then tricking people into thinking I knew some kind of neat technique by winding up in side control. In actuality, I have no idea what I did, but I would like to find out so I can perhaps do it again instead of ineffectually trying to force an osotogari on people way more athletic than me. Youtubing 'takedown reversal leg grab' didn't yield any results, but I'm almost sure I've seen something similar in one of the amateur wrestling highlights around here. I'm in Scandinavia, so my wrestling knowledge is just about non-existent.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Skjorte posted:

tachiwaza (is there a BJJ name for that?)

"pulling guard"

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Skjorte posted:

In my last BJJ class, we did some rounds of tachiwaza (is there a BJJ name for that?), which is something I hadn't tried since I managed to explode my foot doing it in judo 2 years ago. We practiced snapdowns right before the tachiwaza, but other than snapdowns (which is a brand new thing for me), pommeling for underhooks, and drilling a technique a couple of times in my first BJJ class back in November which I've completely forgotten, I haven't done any sort of standing grappling since my short-lived judo experience, so it was a bit intimidating. Somehow, I managed to reverse a guy who shot in on me by kinda, sorta sprawling, reaching over him, grabbing one of his legs with both of my arms, and then tricking people into thinking I knew some kind of neat technique by winding up in side control. In actuality, I have no idea what I did, but I would like to find out so I can perhaps do it again instead of ineffectually trying to force an osotogari on people way more athletic than me. Youtubing 'takedown reversal leg grab' didn't yield any results, but I'm almost sure I've seen something similar in one of the amateur wrestling highlights around here. I'm in Scandinavia, so my wrestling knowledge is just about non-existent.

That's pretty common in wrestling but I couldn't give you a name for it. Also I take it you're taking BJJ with a gi. I'm mostly a no-Gi/MMA guy and this type of strategy drives me nuts.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

"pulling guard"

:golfclap: Well done.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Skjorte posted:

Spladle throw? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEtKhy9zHI8&t=100s

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Skjorte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idsLXyDiuZk

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Lamadrid posted:

They don't allow 16oz in my club.10 prefered, 12 is pushing it depending of the brand (for example a 12oz.Top King super air weighs 14oz. and they are BIG) and 16oz is way too big for a bunch of the guys here.I'm 1.73 76-78kg and they look and feel massive and make shelling up really easy.

Huh. I've never heard that before. Always been told at least a pair of 16 oz especially for sparring and you're a dick if you spare with anything lighter

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

That's pretty common in wrestling but I couldn't give you a name for it. Also I take it you're taking BJJ with a gi. I'm mostly a no-Gi/MMA guy and this type of strategy drives me nuts.

I'm actually only doing no-gi at the moment. Gi classes here are only for people who have the fundamentals down, and although I've been signed up since November, I was inactive throughout December and January, so I'm still months away from getting choked out in new and exciting ways. Is it considered poor form to try to reverse shots? I'm usually one of the smallest--and definitely the most out-of-shape--person in class, and with zero takedowns outside of a sloppy osotogari, and no gi to grip onto, I feel like countering a Scandinavian double/single might be my sole avenue to not getting smashed.

Thanks to you both! The spladle throw was the one I lucked into, but I'll definitely try out the other technique if I can find someone to drill it with on Friday.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Huh. I've never heard that before. Always been told at least a pair of 16 oz especially for sparring and you're a dick if you spare with anything lighter

Yeah I was surprised the first time I saw UFC, Glory dudes training with the 16oz but I assumed that for pro's and bigger dudes the more padding the better but seeing them used in day to day just strikes me as odd.Mentioning that Spain is still like 10 or 15 years behind the curve in the training aspect of this whole thing. And I've sparred with 10 and 12 (light and moderate stuff, we don't really do wars as a general rule) and we were looking for some mma gloves to start sparring :v:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
10 oz: for girls
12 oz: for small guys/big girls
14 oz: for normal people (girlz aren't normal, right?!)
16 oz: for big dudes
20 oz: for big dudes blasting the heavy bag

Sparring with 10-12 oz if you are a 6'0+ guy seem pretty crazy.

In Savate Defense we spar with 4oz grappling gloves but that's a different art, you can't shell your head because you are learning self-defence.

For MMA striking, grappling gloves or no gloves at all at times is ok, of course.

In fact sparring without gloves is pretty great for any hands/legs -art. And no I don't mean you punch people in the mouth at 100% without gloves, it's a great warmup style for sparring is all. Makes you take it easy and use open hands.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Skjorte posted:

I'm actually only doing no-gi at the moment. Gi classes here are only for people who have the fundamentals down, and although I've been signed up since November, I was inactive throughout December and January, so I'm still months away from getting choked out in new and exciting ways. Is it considered poor form to try to reverse shots? I'm usually one of the smallest--and definitely the most out-of-shape--person in class, and with zero takedowns outside of a sloppy osotogari, and no gi to grip onto, I feel like countering a Scandinavian double/single might be my sole avenue to not getting smashed.

Thanks to you both! The spladle throw was the one I lucked into, but I'll definitely try out the other technique if I can find someone to drill it with on Friday.

Wanted to thank you for posting this question because lately I find when doing stand-up ( often just when rolling, not training since we don't often do much stand-up ) I'm never aggressive enough :smith: and will often get caught in a single leg and just kind of hop around hoping to throw the guy off balance/prevent him from kicking my other leg out from under me. That whole video with counters/reversals to single leg is great, can't wait to try out the Spladle and Khaberelli.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Ligur posted:

For MMA striking, grappling gloves or no gloves at all at times is ok, of course.

Back when I used to do MMA we would only spar with no headshots in MMA gloves whilst standing then once the fight hit the ground you could punch the head incredibly lightly and I'm literally talking just enough to let your partner know they are being hit.

Of course there was that one time a few of us decided to go a few rounds at almost full contact in those tiny gloves, I dont think there was a single person that wasn't bleeding in some way after that.

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way suggesting this is a good thing to do...

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

MMA makes me crazy when pro-fighters can't do any throws or takedowns other than the double-leg or single leg. I understand that the rules really don't favor takedowns at all so it doesn't make too much sense to practice throws that much, but it still is pretty jarring when a dude who fights for a living is at loss with such an integral part of fighting.

Also when you get a fighter like Ronda Rousey and she does 20+ ippon throws in a match and that seems to do gently caress all sports wise it sucks a bit.

Uhh they all know lots of throws. Its really hard to hit judo throws on an athletic, resisting opponent who isnt wearing a gi, and is sweaty, and there are strikes involved. There are a ton of judo world champions and olympic medalists in MMA, i assure you they know plenty about throws

The reason Rousey is able to use her judo so well is a) female fighters have to wear a top/rashguard so its easier to get grips, b) most female fighters suck and she is way more athletic and explosive than everyone she has fought, c) she has a really aggressive style where she doesnt mind ending up on the bottom or having her back taken after a whiffed throw, which happens pretty often even to her, but shes been able to get away with it because of reason B

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think it's funny that despite the experience of some of her opponents, Rousey's biggest test was a girl who had muscles and was too poor to buy a couch.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The reason doubles and singles dominate is that they can be initiated from striking ranges and it can be incorporated into the striking, while throws require very situational grips when you're tied up. A combination can be something like "jab, cross, level change, uppercut" where the level change forces them to start sprawling to stop a potential double-leg, and as their head starts going downwards they eat your uppercut. You'd do that a couple of times, then you'd go "jab, cross, double leg" and they'd be so afraid of the uppercut that they couldn't defend against the double leg properly. Throws are awesome, everybody loves them, the judges love them, but you just don't get the opportunity very often, there's usually something less risky that you should be doing.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
It's worth mentioning that one of the best ways to get a big throw in nogi/mma is off a single or double leg, where you make them base out to defend your shot and then clinch, lift and throw in the opposite direction when they try to stand back up. I really think that the problem isn't actually about risk and reward, it's just that throwing in nogi is an underdeveloped/underappreciated art outside of freestyle wrestling; judo guys don't know how to generate lift from beyond clinching distance without gi handles and wrestlers don't see the point of taking extra time to fit in for a throw once they've already created an opening for a takedown.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
And now for something completely different...

I have an opportunity to take a tai chi class through work. Anyone ever tried it? What did you get out of it?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

On a tangent, I like the way Jon Jones mixes in a lot of the trip-stuff from judo into his wrestling.

http://imgur.com/a/9N4PV

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

De Nomolos posted:

I have an opportunity to take a tai chi class through work. Anyone ever tried it? What did you get out of it?

My wife and I are about to start a tai chi class offered by our town. We took one a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It's pretty tame in the intensity dept, but was enough to feel good about moving around by the end of each class. It's pretty baller for stress reduction which is what drew us to it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Tales from the gym part 1.0:

A friend of mine is training through a broken toe injury, and during some semi-free MMA sparring taps to a leg hold and tells her partner that the heavily taped toe is actually fractured. They reset, she gets the guys back and manages a RNC. Big Guy is surprised! They reset and start grappling for control... the dude intentionally very accidentally repeatedly stomps on her injured toe to get back at her. The accidental nature is confirmed by the fact he did not do any stomping before hearing about the injury and then being submitted.

Brahs, the low levels of ego at MMA gyms sometimes manages to surprise me. And no, my friend is not one of the problem types who whine about everything that hurts slightly, she's a total beast who will continue training after you cut her head off with a chainsaw (and actually needs to be told to rest and not train through pain).

I told her to bust the dudes nuts with knee shots the next time they grapple, by "accident" of course.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Ligur posted:

Tales from the gym part 1.0:

A friend of mine is training through a broken toe injury, and during some semi-free MMA sparring taps to a leg hold and tells her partner that the heavily taped toe is actually fractured. They reset, she gets the guys back and manages a RNC. Big Guy is surprised! They reset and start grappling for control... the dude intentionally very accidentally repeatedly stomps on her injured toe to get back at her. The accidental nature is confirmed by the fact he did not do any stomping before hearing about the injury and then being submitted.

How is that not an automatic "get the gently caress off the mats, you're done for today" from the instructor?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Vindicator posted:

How is that not an automatic "get the gently caress off the mats, you're done for today" from the instructor?

My friend didn't say anything about it to anyone during the class ("too tough to complain!"), and in a class of 20 people with a single instructor he won't notice everything. I heard the guy has been schooled by instructor/scary people before though but won't learn. Hope he gets ejected from the gym at some point.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

I get that, but it's not just about your friend, I hope she recognizes that even if she's tough enough to handle it, it's still abusive and dangerous, and allowing it to go on is masking a pattern of behavior that could end tragically for another training partner down the line if this guy gets it into his head that it's okay to intentionally injure anyone who embarrasses him. It's not just about him and it's not just about her, it's making sure that the gym is safe for everyone. Obviously he's been a concern before if the instructor has fronted him about it - regardless of whether she, personally, is fine with him acting that way, the instructor's obviously not, and he's the one with a duty of care to the people he's training. She should say something, if for no other reason than to give the instructor more evidence that the guy's a shithead who can't be trusted in that environment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

De Nomolos posted:

It's an interesting way to perceive the positioning and balance of your body throughout a slow movement. Depending on which style you're doing, the workout you get could be compared to yoga.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

kimbo305 posted:

It's an interesting way to perceive the positioning and balance of your body throughout a slow movement. Depending on which style you're doing, the workout you get could be compared to yoga.

This is what I felt, it was similar to a slightly more active yoga to me, although less strenuous that something like ashtanga yoga. I think it really helped with my sense of balance and awareness of my body positioning, if that makes any sense. Also it was helpful for controlling my breathing and really relaxing. I guess though that it's not all like that, and some of it is more like a "normal" martial art?

I really enjoyed it though and I'm glad I did it. Kinda want to pick it up again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Some styles of taichi emphasize "fa jing," which is coordinating your whole body into an explosive movement, like a punch or a kick, but usually an outrageously impractical punch, like you're in a reverse bow stance and you punch straight into the ground.

This has a slightly more relevant application to real striking, where you want every part of your body tensing into the punch (well, the muscles that help the punch, not retard it) at the same time, in a very short time frame. The only aid it would give you when training a combat sport is the idea of striking like that, more than actual muscle memory. This kind of intensely focused exertion is also the main emphasis of Yiquan and Bajiquan.

The faster taichi styles resemble the katas of various Chinese MAs and karate/tkd.

e: while I'm on this CMA rant, I wanna point out where arts like taiji came from -- indigenous Chinese grappling arts that people actually fought with. Some elements of these arts still exist. People pratice shuaijiao, which true to all martial arts that are trained alive, looks closer to other combat grappling sports.
This is some guy demonstrating a trip. Practiced without a partner, it's much more exotic and less realistic looking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLZmH9jR5eo
The evolution of CMAs as you see them today is due to steadily more form work and less sparring / alive training.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 13, 2015

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Gaz2k21 posted:

Of course there was that one time a few of us decided to go a few rounds at almost full contact in those tiny gloves, I dont think there was a single person that wasn't bleeding in some way after that.

Also this :haw: It's funny when things heat up a bit in SD sessions where people wear 'em tiny glorified bicycle gloves for protection, nevermind helmets. Black eyes, cuts, people getting floored basically by accident.... oh man. I almost miss it. I was once practicing how to defend against two attackers who engage from the left and right of you (but you were not allowed to turn your head to face them!), just saw something move from the corner of my left eye, and shot a... how could I explain it, a front high kick/teep/neb/whatever but angled to the left with my front leg. *THUD* I had no idea where it landed but it made a fun sound.

There was a short pause and another *THUD*... then the voice of the instructor: "oooops". The guy was on his rear end, I connected to his jaw past those tiny god drat gloves and the second thud was him stretched out on the floor. (He later on went to exact revenge by not attacking from a 90 degree angle but instead from behind with a looping right hook to the back of my head: it was my turn to *THUD*.)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Two other things:

1) Politics in Russia (when not invading someone) and former Soviet satellites is always fun, there's plenty of nice fights from Duma but here's a couple of Ukranian politicians discussing a new bill. It's a thing that usually these guys have had at least some sort of training in their youth. In something. The other guy is really looking for that cross.

2) gently caress AIBA. Their new move? To ban people who compete in other martial arts from entering national boxing championships. Yes, it means exactly what you read: people who compete in grappling, Judo, Kickboxing, Savate or whatever (during the past x years, the rules are really confusing) should not be allowed to compete in amateur boxing national championships. That really sucks, especially for small countries like Finland where it isn't by far uncommon for top amateurs to also compete in other striking arts or MMA or whatever. Why a local boxing federation wouldn't just ignore the rule and show them the finger? AIBA might prevent amateur boxers from said country for entering the Olympics!

I mean... what? WHY? Who on earth benefits from this?

Of course it all has more to do with internal politics and a power struggle in which AIBA tries to control boxing world wide than anything to do with actual sports but what a lovely, lovely move. Some of the best Finnish amateur boxers probably can't compete in the championships next week because of this. (And I know some of them. They not happy.)

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Ligur posted:

Two other things:

1) Politics in Russia (when not invading someone) and former Soviet satellites is always fun, there's plenty of nice fights from Duma but here's a couple of Ukranian politicians discussing a new bill. It's a thing that usually these guys have had at least some sort of training in their youth. In something. The other guy is really looking for that cross.

2) gently caress AIBA. Their new move? To ban people who compete in other martial arts from entering national boxing championships. Yes, it means exactly what you read: people who compete in grappling, Judo, Kickboxing, Savate or whatever (during the past x years, the rules are really confusing) should not be allowed to compete in amateur boxing national championships. That really sucks, especially for small countries like Finland where it isn't by far uncommon for top amateurs to also compete in other striking arts or MMA or whatever. Why a local boxing federation wouldn't just ignore the rule and show them the finger? AIBA might prevent amateur boxers from said country for entering the Olympics!

Of course it all has more to do with internal politics and a power struggle in which AIBA tries to control boxing world wide than anything to do with actual sports but what a lovely, lovely move. Some of the best Finnish amateur boxers probably can't compete in the championships next week because of this. (And I know some of them. They not happy.)

It sounds like they are following the International Judo Federation's lovely policy of trying to prove they are doing "something" like changing gi fitting requirements and forcing all Jukodas to rebuy gis if they want to fight in competitions. Even better is having "counterfeit-proof" IJF tags on gis that they can be id'ed under a blacklight to ensure it is one of the new gis that is authorized by them.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

I posted about this before

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Yeah remembered that as soon as I posted. Didn't just stitch into my brain at the time because websites down and everything being so loving vague and so on.

That crap just hit us here a few days back though in the actual world.

I think before everyone was sort of just scratching their heads like "ok, ummm, whatever" but now that bullshit hit the fan for real.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

My Gwanjangnim speaks the weirdest Korean in the world, just tons of puns and weird shorthand and things I have never heard before. There's a guy who usually helps me out here since I'm dealing with a second language but he's out for the next month and I'm kinda trying to fill in the gaps here. We've been doing some grappling lately, so I wanna look into some grappling videos and stuff that's in English.

What arts are mostly on the ground grappling, and either choking your opponent or getting them in an armbar? So far my technique has been "try to remember anything from that semester of judo in college and choke the poo poo out of the guy once I'm on top." Looking to improve that style cuz it seems to be working out well for me.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

BrainDance posted:

What arts are mostly on the ground grappling, and either choking your opponent or getting them in an armbar?

The best fun to injury ratio art going: BJJ!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BrainDance posted:

What arts are mostly on the ground grappling, and either choking your opponent or getting them in an armbar?

Judo, BJJ, and Sambo.

Hypothetically also catch wrestling/shootwrestling, but your odds of finding a good gym of one of the above three is much better than finding a good catch wrestling/shootwrestling gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Can someone explain to me the difference between catch/shoot/flow wrestling, and how it differs from what I did in middle school?

• Locked thread