Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

ESPN.com posted:

The Lakers will have enough salary-cap space to sign at least one max-level free agent this summer, and several big names loom, including Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, Goran Dragic and Rajon Rondo.

I know it's :laugh: NBA GMs :laugh: but are any of those guys seriously going to get a max deal this summer?

I guess I could see Aldridge maybe?

Ross fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

PantsFreeZone posted:

Hey, let's not forget the fact that Kyle is a beautiful man and Reggie looks like a corpse that's been sitting in the sun for 11 months.

Young Kyle Korver looked like young Aston Kutcher, who was beautiful; this is not the same thing as Kyle Korver being beautiful. I hate this myth.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ross posted:

I know its :laugh: NBA GMs :laugh: but are any of those guys seriously going to get a max deal this summer?

Gasol and Aldridge absolutely will.

This is the NBA.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 11, 2015

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

There is literally no way Kyle Korver is better than Reggie Miller you big weirdos. Kyle Korver isn't even the greatest role player of all time, which is probably Dennis Rodman.

Saying Dennis Rodman is a role player is a huge disservice to Dennis Rodman and what he brought to those Piston and Bulls teams. Manute Bol is probably the greatest role player in NBA history.

Ross posted:

I know its :laugh: NBA GMs :laugh: but are any of those guys seriously going to get a max deal this summer?

Aldridge and Gasol will, all star big men are pretty much a lock to get max deals. Rondo may off of reputation. Dragic won't because he's playing at the deepest position and the Suns have leverage, but another PG hungry team could pay him the mac because NBA.

I think people are calling Korver a role player because he does basically one thing extremely well and does almost everything else just well enough where he's not a liability to have on the court at any given time. He's a role player in the same sense a Defense only center or a 3 and D guy is a role player.

remember fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 11, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Speaking of Reggie, Reggie Evans should get a fine for what he did to Jimmy Buckets last night.

I haven't read the thread recently but if someone is trying to make a serious argument that Kyle Korver is ≥ Reggie Miller they are objectively mad.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Ross posted:

Max doesn't mean much right now so yes. Except Rondo though yuck.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Ross posted:

Gasol and Aldridge are for sure going to get max offers from other teams, though both might take a small discount to stay where they are. Dragic and Rondo will not get max. I don't think that writer realizes that the max for these players starts at like $19m a year.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Hand Row posted:

Max doesn't mean much right now so yes. Except Rondo though yuck.

Can you elaborate on the bolded part? I didn't follow.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Big shot Bob was the greatest role player of all time by the most important measure :getin:

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Ross posted:

TV deal, this summer's max will pale in comparison to next summer's max so the theory is that you can overpay now because the cap increase will make a lot of deals look reasonable in comparison.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Young Kyle Korver looked like young Aston Kutcher, who was beautiful; this is not the same thing as Kyle Korver being beautiful. I hate this myth.

Maybe we should vote you in as forum Charles Barkley.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

PantsFreeZone posted:

Maybe we should vote you in as forum Charles Barkley.

That looks like Steven Tyler.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

Sometimes the Pelicans are the best.

WAIT, THERE'S A MEET WITH THE GLORIOUS ABOMINATION?!?!!

drat, sucks I don't live in NOLA to make that. :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ross posted:

I know it's :laugh: NBA GMs :laugh: but are any of those guys seriously going to get a max deal this summer?

Why in the world would you think Aldridge and Gasol aren't worthy of getting the max?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Rodman a role player on the Bulls? What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

Jordan was a role player too! His role was to score. He was good at that role.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

wangvicous posted:

Saying Dennis Rodman is a role player is a huge disservice to Dennis Rodman and what he brought to those Piston and Bulls teams. Manute Bol is probably the greatest role player in NBA history.

I don't think it's necessarily a disservice. Rodman was an elite man defender, and and an elite rebounder. If someone today excelled at those two things you would call them a role player. Just because he was one of the greatest ever at those things does not make him any less of a role player. And I don't mean this is a disparaging way, he is an all time talent, and deserves to be in the hall of fame, but he is not a rounded player, nor could you have built a team around him.

Jack's Flow posted:

Rodman a role player on the Bulls? What the gently caress is going on in this thread?

Jordan was a role player too! His role was to score. He was good at that role.

Dennis Rodman had two, very specific roles on that team. Play defense and rebound. He was a role player, sorry. Like I said above he was elite at these two things. The vast majority of players in the NBA are role players.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spacebump posted:

Sometimes the Pelicans are the best.

I will like Robin Lopez if he slays this thing and sends it back to whatever horror dimension it came from

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did you see Rolo humiliate and blind the Spurs mascot? It made me like him even more.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/12/20/7427641/robin-lopez-hates-all-mascots-blinds-spurs-coyote-in-violent-attack

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Tim Duncan has a merlin tattoo and goes to renaissance fairs QED he is the best role player

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Role player usually means you do 1 or 2 things well and that's why you are what you are. Rodman is a total outlier in NBA history and should never be used as an example of anything, but Rodman was an elite Defensive Rebounder, Offensive Rebounder, Post Defender, very good at man-defense out of the post and very good help defender(or double-teamer as it was before zone was made legal). Even offensively he was probably better than given credit for. Saying "Defense" is one thing is really a disservice to that side of the floor.

Korver can be called a role-player because if he was even average at 3pt shooting he'd probably never see the NBA floor. Now that's a huge caveat since shooting from the 3 is REALLY important to today's NBA but it's weird to see someone like him in the ASG, he's an offensive player who is not used much on the offense. I mean, discussing if people should be in the ASG is a time-honored tradition, and I don't mean to poo poo on Korver since he is really good and really important, but he's a 33 year old journeyman who landed in a good situation. Good for him, I guess.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Ross posted:

You don't think Marc Gasol is a max guy?

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Tim Duncan has a merlin tattoo and goes to renaissance fairs QED he is the best role player

lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ross posted:

Max doesn't necessarily mean Kobe Bryant 20+ million dollars.

It could mean more like 12 million depending on the contract. The Lakers would offer any of those guys max salaries because I mean, that's what it's probably going to take to get most of them to even consider looking at them, and even then they might not consider, let alone move. Rondo is really the only player who might be a bad max, but if the Lakers are in a position where they can get a combo of Rondo and another major player by maxing th em both out, it might be something they just have to do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

Role player usually means you do 1 or 2 things well and that's why you are what you are. Rodman is a total outlier in NBA history and should never be used as an example of anything, but Rodman was an elite Defensive Rebounder, Offensive Rebounder, Post Defender, very good at man-defense out of the post and very good help defender(or double-teamer as it was before zone was made legal). Even offensively he was probably better than given credit for. Saying "Defense" is one thing is really a disservice to that side of the floor.

Korver can be called a role-player because if he was even average at 3pt shooting he'd probably never see the NBA floor. Now that's a huge caveat since shooting from the 3 is REALLY important to today's NBA but it's weird to see someone like him in the ASG, he's an offensive player who is not used much on the offense. I mean, discussing if people should be in the ASG is a time-honored tradition, and I don't mean to poo poo on Korver since he is really good and really important, but he's a 33 year old journeyman who landed in a good situation. Good for him, I guess.

Korver is used on every offensive play he is on the floor for fucks sake.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
If Ben Wallace can be an all star, so can Korver. Dude is really, really good at what he does.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Rick posted:

Max doesn't necessarily mean Kobe Bryant 20+ million dollars.

It could mean more like 12 million depending on the contract. The Lakers would offer any of those guys max salaries because I mean, that's what it's probably going to take to get most of them to even consider looking at them, and even then they might not consider, let alone move. Rondo is really the only player who might be a bad max, but if the Lakers are in a position where they can get a combo of Rondo and another major player by maxing th em both out, it might be something they just have to do.

I'm pretty sure that the max for Rondo and Dragic is $19m a year. They don't get the mini-max or whatever you want to call a max for a player with less than 6 years in the league. I think $19m a year would be way too much to pay for either of those players.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

euphronius posted:

Korver is used on every offensive play he is on the floor for fucks sake.

So is Kendrick Perkins

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lockback posted:

Role player usually means you do 1 or 2 things well and that's why you are what you are. Rodman is a total outlier in NBA history and should never be used as an example of anything, but Rodman was an elite Defensive Rebounder, Offensive Rebounder, Post Defender, very good at man-defense out of the post and very good help defender(or double-teamer as it was before zone was made legal). Even offensively he was probably better than given credit for.

I used to love it when Dennis would suddenly find himself with the ball at the elbow, with no teammates really moving to get open and his defender giving him room. He'd either heave up that idiotic jumpshot, or take a quick two steps and chuck a running hook -- either way the ball had very little arc but managed to rattle in about as often as not. And when Dennis made a field goal, it was a prime moment for Dennis to take a second to admire his handiwork before prancing happily back downcourt like a deranged and heavily-modified antelope.

Never anyone like him before, nor will there be again.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

attackmole posted:

If Ben Wallace can be an all star, so can Korver. Dude is really, really good at what he does.

Yeah he is. On the other hand its still incredibly funny that "Kyle Korver: All-Star" is a thing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

I will like Robin Lopez if he slays this thing and sends it back to whatever horror dimension it came from

Paraphrasing one of the Kings announcers, but if you don't like the Mardi Gras Baby (and old Pierre), you just don't like NBA basketball. :colbert:

This also goes for Rolo, the best Simpsons character in the NBA.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
I wonder what the value would be of a theoretical player who never touched the ball or even crossed half court, but forced a defender to stay with him and allowed his team to play 4v4 on every possession.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you could guarantee Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Stephan Curry, etc. to have 0/0/0 stats for the whole game, every team would give at least the rookie max that guy, no question.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.

Tae posted:

If you could guarantee Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Stephan Curry, etc. to have 0/0/0 stats for the whole game, every team would give at least the rookie max that guy, no question.

What I mean is that on offense you play 4v4, but on defense its still 5v5.

I assume the spacing would favour the offense but I wonder how much. I guess it would depend a lot on if you get to choose the defender who stays back.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Better not let Vivek read these top secret strategies.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

David Robinson was on Lebatard's radio show the other day it reminded me how amazing the guy was. I went to look at his stats on basketball-reference and they are insane. Since I only really got to watch him during the late 90s I completely underestimated how great he was.

24 and 12 with 4 blocks as a rookie.
Have we seen better numbers from a rookie since?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

BWV posted:

David Robinson was on Lebatard's radio show the other day it reminded me how amazing the guy was. I went to look at his stats on basketball-reference and they are insane. Since I only really got to watch him during the late 90s I completely underestimated how great he was.

24 and 12 with 4 blocks as a rookie.
Have we seen better numbers from a rookie since?

Shaq's 23 and 14 with 3.5 blocks rookie season was much more impressive as he was 4 years younger.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Time posted:

You don't think Marc Gasol is a max guy?

One way to think about it is: if you gave either Gasol or Aldridge to any team in the NBA, on which teams wouldn't they immediately be by far the best frontcourt player?

NO, LAC, Miami (arguable), SA (arguable), maybe Sac depending on Cousins' motivation? Ruling out Durant and Lebron since they're basically wings.

If you don't think they're worth max contracts, you're basically saying that the 4/5 positions aren't worth max contracts.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Shaq's 23 and 14 with 3.5 blocks rookie season was much more impressive as he was 4 years younger.

hahaa I completely forgot about Shaq and how loving athletic he was early on.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

So is Kendrick Perkins

Kendrick Perkins is literally horrible at everything except setting illegal screens.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I'm pretty sure that the max for Rondo and Dragic is $19m a year. They don't get the mini-max or whatever you want to call a max for a player with less than 6 years in the league. I think $19m a year would be way too much to pay for either of those players.

I'm a bit nervous about Dargic since he's basically only elite every other year but in one of his good years I'd pay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

As DeMarcus Cousins got dressed on Tuesday after a 104-86 loss to the Chicago Bulls, he spotted teammate Reggie Evans wearing some shiny gold sneakers.

“Pretty little tap shoes you got there,” Cousins said, laughing to himself.

“They’re Versace,” Evans said, believing that was enough to get Cousins to back off.

Cousins shot back, “You can’t spell Versace.”

“Sure can’t,” Evans replied, “but I can buy it.”

Evans then paraded around the locker room, showing off his stylish sneakers, seeking approval. Forward Jason Thompson agreed that they looked nice, then Evans stopped a reporter, “Would you wear these? You know, if you were 30?”

http://instagram.com/p/y8s3jqGOKu/?modal=true

quote:

reggieevans30
Somebody please tell @boogiecousins to shut the HELL UP!!!!!!!

Cousins and Reggie have good banter

• Locked thread