Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Instant Grat posted:

Even then, there's a feature-identical monitor to the ROG Swift coming from Acer that's IPS rather than TN, so...

Rather, there will be in a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

StickFigs posted:

I'm in the market for a new monitor because mines starting to break down.

Right now I have a Dell 2209WA - 22" - 1680x1050 - 16:10 and a GeForce GTX 760. I think I want to go for a 24" this time with a 1920×1200 resolution (16:10).

I'm not sure if my GTX 760 can handle games at 1920x1200 or not, looking for some insight on that.

The most important thing for me with the new monitor would be low response time. After that I just want whatever I get to be as good or better than my 2209WA (specs: http://www.engadget.com/products/dell/ultrasharp/2209wa/specs/)

I definitely need a matte/anti-glare screen too.
Performance will probably be a little worse at 1920x1200, but worst-case you can just run specific games at the lower resolution instead.

For performance comparisons your card should run around what a 760 normally gets in 1080p, maybe slightly worse with the additional vertical resolution: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1038
I bought a U2412M recently to replace one of my older 1680x1050's and I've been enjoying the extra size, although I was using a TN monitor previously so the panel quality difference was more striking for me than it would be with a 2209WA. Unless you really need 16:10 you could probably go with a 1080 monitor instead and save some cash though.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

cisco privilege posted:

Performance will probably be a little worse at 1920x1200, but worst-case you can just run specific games at the lower resolution instead.

For performance comparisons your card should run around what a 760 normally gets in 1080p, maybe slightly worse with the additional vertical resolution: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1038
I bought a U2412M recently to replace one of my older 1680x1050's and I've been enjoying the extra size, although I was using a TN monitor previously so the panel quality difference was more striking for me than it would be with a 2209WA. Unless you really need 16:10 you could probably go with a 1080 monitor instead and save some cash though.

I'm not willing to stray from 16:10 since I use my monitor a lot for coding when not gaming and vertical space is precious.

The U2412M looks really nice, basically a bigger version of the 2209WA, except for the 60Hz refresh rate. The 2209WA can actually be tricked into working at native resolution at 75Hz even though it isn't advertised as being able to above 60Hz, is there a similar trick with the U2412M?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I haven't tried the option on mine but someone made a 75hz inf for another model http://www.overclock.net/t/1061924/is-this-dell-u2311h-75hz-hack-potentially-dangerous

Edit: wrong model #. Not sure if the 24" has an inf edit available.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 5, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oof:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...50206_q1_Friday

30" 2560x1600 G-Pro Slim LED Backlit - Overclockable

quote:

Enjoy 3D gaming and stunning graphics performance using this 30" Pro LED Backlit 120Hz Gaming Display from Monoprice!

This gaming display features a stunning high quality LCD panel made by LG and capable of a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 pixels. It boasts a overclockable 120Hz refresh rate, making it well suited for 3D games and movies. The 6ms response time means that there you won't experience any input lag as you game. The display features an amazing 178° viewing angle in both the vertical and horizontal planes and 350 cd/m2.

The monitor supports Dual Link DVI-D, HDMI®, DisplayPort, and VGA inputs. A 3.5mm audio input jack accepts the audio signal from your computer, which is then simultaneously output over the S/PDIF digital optical output and the 3.5mm audio output jack when using the DVI, DisplayPort, or VGA video inputs. When the HDMI video is in use, the audio portion of the HDMI signal is split off and output over both the S/PDIF and 3.5mm outputs.

The monitor comes with a removable 4-way adjustable stand, which allows you to adjust height, tilt, swivel, and to rotate between landscape and portrait orientation.

$751.40

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Where is the best place to keep an eye out for reviews on new monitors that come out?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Etrips posted:

Where is the best place to keep an eye out for reviews on new monitors that come out?
I recommend TFT-Central for very complete reviews, but they don't review absolutely everything that hits the market. They are on the ball when it comes to monitor announcements.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I recommend TFT-Central for very complete reviews, but they don't review absolutely everything that hits the market. They are on the ball when it comes to monitor announcements.

Thanks for linking that site.

Looks like the new Acer 1440p 144hz Gsync IPS is going to be ~$790 (699 Euro).

I guess that shouldn't be surprising since the Asus ROG Swift TN panel is like $799.

Maybe the ASUS ROG Swift will come down in pricing because of this.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
For those of you interested, NewEgg has the U2713HM for $500 shipped at the moment.

No adaptive synch or overclocking, but it's a damned nice high-quality 1440x monitor.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So, after some soul-searching, I've decided to purchase a 27" IPS 1080p screen.

(Was really tempted to go 4K right now, but I couldn't quite justify it until I get more serious about programming at home , or until the prices drop in "frivolous purchase" range. And 1440p would often be too much for my GPU, since you can't downscale it like 4k.)

In my local online stores (not the ones linked), these three models stand out and they have basically the same price. Are any of them to be recommended or avoided for any reason? I'm going to be using them mostly for gaming, but they all claim a response time of 5ms which should be fine if true.

LG 27MP35

LG 27MP55HQ-P (Bigger number = better?)

Acer G277HLBID

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is anyone aware of a way to disable input searching on the VG248QE? I have a spare Chromecast that I want to leave on the HDMI input, but any time my PC tries to put the monitor to sleep it switches to the HDMI input. There is no way to put the Chromecast to sleep. I've searched the menus and nothing, just hoping maybe I've missed something or there's a hidden option or something.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So my Dell P2314H broke two days ago, only seven months old. It only shows a gray screen when turned on, regardless of what (if anything) is connected. Same with self-test, gray screen. The interesting part of the story is the warranty process:

1. There's no information on warranty except a generic phone number in the manual and this random forum post. In particular, Dell's website is not helpful.

2. Dell assumes that every Dell product has a Service Tag/Express Service Code, but notably, monitors below 27" do not have them. This makes every means of communication with Dell challenging, as even if you call the number listed in the monitor manual, the phone robot won't let you pass without a Service Tag. Have to keep mashing random buttons to reach an operator.

3. Dell assumes they only sell computers, or parts of computers. The support agent, once I finally reached one, was a bit confused or at least put off script by my only having a Dell monitor and not a Dell computer. Once he was able to finally process the service request, the dispatch contained a random Service Tag and the computer model is listed as a "OptiPlex GX270". I think he just put in the Service Tag on his desk machine since he couldn't pass otherwise.

4. I was on the phone for 90 minutes, after reaching a support agent to put though the replacement request. The first half hour was an amusing amount of troubleshooting given that the symptoms of the problem are quite consistent and easy to describe, but that's OK. It took him another hour, during which we were both on mic mute, to actually put through the replacement.

To be fair, the support agent was pleasant and courteous the entire time, to which I reciprocated. He claimed I should receive a replacement panel in 1-2 business days, and as this happened on Friday I'm not expecting any movement until Monday. The only thing that really bothered me about the whole event is that Dell claims on their website (and in that forum post) that the monitor has a three year warranty, while the support agent claimed it was only one year. It didn't matter in this case, but the documentation that came with the monitor didn't specify either way, and it's something that would be helpful to know in the future.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 8, 2015

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006
So I received my new QNIX QX2710 two days ago, specifically this one.

HOLY poo poo.

After using it for a day side by side with my old 1080p 21.5" Acer, I could have sworn something was wrong with the older panel. After half an hour of trying to figure out what was the issue, I just realized its fine. A PLS 1440p 27" just looks so loving good that it makes anything sub par to it look like complete trash.

I was able to pick up a pixel perfect glossy edition for $300. The one I linked was $330, but there was another listing of the exact same thing by the exact same vendor for $300 for whatever reason, so I was able to get an extra refund of $30. Not a single dead pixel has been found and such a small amount of black light bleed is present that opening it up and doing the tape mod is drat near pointless.

I thought everyone was exaggerating the quality of the stand it comes with.. but jesus. I am going to VESA mount this thing as soon as humanly possible before I hit my desk with my knees too hard one day and it comes crashing down. All in all though, that is the ONLY negative for a shady $300 monitor from Korea.

I know I'm parroting a lot of what has already been said, but it really is friggin wonderful. If any one is still on the fence about it, I wholeheartedly recommend the purchase if you are looking for 1440p gaming on a budget.

I should mention that while I was unable to get a 120hz overclock on it, it does go all the way up to 110hz with no problems. I've been running it on 96hz instead though. Is there any reason to actually bump it and keep it up to 110hz? It's mostly for gaming, but I do watch movies on occasion.

So yeah, I'm extremely happy with it. I never truly realized what I've been missing out on with my barrage of lovely 19"-21.5" 720-1080 TN panels over the last 5-10 years. Thank you folks for the recommendation, and if anyone still unsure about buying it, I will answer any questions from the curious.

Oh, and how well would an SLI setup of GTX 560 Ti 448 cores(1280mb VRAM) handle 1440p? I'm waiting for my new parts to arrive for a new rig, so in the meantime I have it hooked up to my current setup. I've only played Wolfenstein: The New Order so far, and they seem to handle it fairly well. Anyone have experience with other AAA games?

Nuja fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 9, 2015

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Oneiros posted:

Anyone else here rocking a Dell P2715Q? Not a whole lot of review out there for it yet but it was on sale on Dell's site for $525 so I took a gamble. Had it for about a week and am loving it. No dead or stuck pixels and the factory calibration was pretty good if a bit warm. Also the AG coating is much more subtle than on my old U2412M. Apparently people have some issues with the monitor not waking up properly when connected via Display Port but I haven't experienced any issues hooked up to a 2013 MBP.

IPS 4K @ 60hz for $500-$600. What's not to love?

Quoting from a week ago but I just got one today. Holy poo poo this thing is amazing. The color quality beats the pants off my old NEC IPS, and 4K is crystal clear. Unfortunately I don't have the GPU muscle for modern games at 4K, and if I wanted to SLI I'd have to replace my case, motherboard and power supply. But Half-Life 2 has never looked better.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

All this praise and no pictures?!

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006

Etrips posted:

All this praise and no pictures?!

Will add pictures today when I get home!

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Nuja posted:

Will add pictures today when I get home!

also can you let us know how it is for gaming? Not necessarily at 4k, but at 1080p if it looks / plays terribly?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey there. I replaced my old PC and seems fitting to have a good monitor to go along with the new one (if it helps, my current video card is a GTX 970). Demands are pretty basic: gaming, netflix, movies, that kind of stuff.

I don't need major screen real estate - around 23'' is excellent for me - but I have little idea on where to begin to research. The OP is pretty good, but given the lack of updates, I figured it would be better just to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Transmetropolitan posted:

Hey there. I replaced my old PC and seems fitting to have a good monitor to go along with the new one (if it helps, my current video card is a GTX 970). Demands are pretty basic: gaming, netflix, movies, that kind of stuff.

I don't need major screen real estate - around 23'' is excellent for me - but I have little idea on where to begin to research. The OP is pretty good, but given the lack of updates, I figured it would be better just to ask.

Thanks in advance!

If 23" is all you need I'd go with the OP's recommendation of the Dell U2312HM. It's excellent.
I have that monitor as of about 6 months ago and it's excellent for everything you mentioned, and very affordable.

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006

Nuja posted:

So I received my new QNIX QX2710 two days ago, specifically this one.

HOLY poo poo.

After using it for a day side by side with my old 1080p 21.5" Acer, I could have sworn something was wrong with the older panel. After half an hour of trying to figure out what was the issue, I just realized its fine. A PLS 1440p 27" just looks so loving good that it makes anything sub par to it look like complete trash.

I was able to pick up a pixel perfect glossy edition for $300. The one I linked was $330, but there was another listing of the exact same thing by the exact same vendor for $300 for whatever reason, so I was able to get an extra refund of $30. Not a single dead pixel has been found and such a small amount of black light bleed is present that opening it up and doing the tape mod is drat near pointless.

I thought everyone was exaggerating the quality of the stand it comes with.. but jesus. I am going to VESA mount this thing as soon as humanly possible before I hit my desk with my knees too hard one day and it comes crashing down. All in all though, that is the ONLY negative for a shady $300 monitor from Korea.

I know I'm parroting a lot of what has already been said, but it really is friggin wonderful. If any one is still on the fence about it, I wholeheartedly recommend the purchase if you are looking for 1440p gaming on a budget.

I should mention that while I was unable to get a 120hz overclock on it, it does go all the way up to 110hz with no problems. I've been running it on 96hz instead though. Is there any reason to actually bump it and keep it up to 110hz? It's mostly for gaming, but I do watch movies on occasion.

So yeah, I'm extremely happy with it. I never truly realized what I've been missing out on with my barrage of lovely 19"-21.5" 720-1080 TN panels over the last 5-10 years. Thank you folks for the recommendation, and if anyone still unsure about buying it, I will answer any questions from the curious.

Oh, and how well would an SLI setup of GTX 560 Ti 448 cores(1280mb VRAM) handle 1440p? I'm waiting for my new parts to arrive for a new rig, so in the meantime I have it hooked up to my current setup. I've only played Wolfenstein: The New Order so far, and they seem to handle it fairly well. Anyone have experience with other AAA games?

Alright, so here are the pictures. Not the greatest quality, but it shows the comparison to my old monitor decently well. I don't think the BLB picture turned out quite well, but it still seems minimal(might have just been the angle of the picture). I skipped posting pixel test pictures because, well, there is not a single dead pixel. I can add them if anyone is really that interested.

And here is the best picture I could take of minimal BLB(should have turned off the secondary monitor):

So there she is in all of her glory. I may have gotten lucky when it comes to defects. Either way, I'm extremely satisfied with the purchase, especially because it was only $299.90 with FS. I would recommend it to anyone looking to make the jump to 1440p, with an added bonus of a minimum(for the most part) of 96hz.

PS: It is very glossy. This is in no way a deal breaker for me, as during typical use it never bothers me, but it is something to consider. I could not find a reliable, cheap, matte screen for sale from a vetted seller that had the proper specifications(dual link DVI only with the ability to OC), otherwise I definitely would have picked up a matte screen.

Bonobos posted:

also can you let us know how it is for gaming? Not necessarily at 4k, but at 1080p if it looks / plays terribly?

While I haven't tried out 1080p on this monitor yet, I can assure you that I have no noticeable issues while gaming in 1440p. I've been playing the new Wolfenstein game at 1440p with medium to high settings, and my OCed 2500k + SLI GTX 560 TI 448s handle themselves decently. I imagine I'd nearly be able to max 1080p. Oh, and I cannot discern any type of input lag at all, which I was slightly worried about. Granted I don't play Counterstrike, or any high level competitive FPSs for that matter, but I can see nor feel a difference while playing Wolfenstein... so take that for what it's worth.

Nuja fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 11, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Thanks! What made you end up going with that particular model? I'm currently trying to sift through all the information and trying to pick out a nice 27" and it definitely looks like the Catsleap and QNIX/X-Star are the most popular.

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006

Etrips posted:

Thanks! What made you end up going with that particular model? I'm currently trying to sift through all the information and trying to pick out a nice 27" and it definitely looks like the Catsleap and QNIX/X-Star are the most popular.

Disclaimer: I may just be biased and blinded due to the fact that this is the first time I've ever seen or used 1440p, above 60hz refresh rate(DRAGGING WINDOWS IS SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER), and any monitor bigger than 21.5". So take my post with that in mind. Others who have experience with multiple IPS/PLS 27" 1440p and greater than 60hz refresh rate may have a different take.

Greater than 60hz refresh rate(from what I've researched, this applies to the X-Star as well. I am not knowledgeable on the other models such as Catsleap, but the single input versions of the Qnix/X-Star allow for an overclockable refresh rate) which enables me to have at least a 96hz refresh rate monitor(depending on your luck, you could get up to 120hz or higher), 1440p, having virtually no input lag, 27" or greater, a PLS/IPS panel, and last but not least, the $300 price tag depending on how much shopping around you do. Those were the 5-6 deciding factors for me.

It is a very bare bones monitor. In order to be able to overclock your refresh rate you have to pick up a single input version(Dual Link DVI only), so that means no console gaming using it. As many others have sounded off about, the stand is basically what you'd expect a super cheap overseas panel would be, and even that might be an understatement. There are 5-6 buttons on the bottom lip of the panel of which only the power button functions. I suppose the others are just for show. There is no built in monitor menu, all color corrections and other options will need to be manipulated via Nvidia Control Panel, or AMD/Intel's alternative. Despite all of these flaws, and the possibility of having a slightly defective panel(major back light bleed, enough dead pixels to be noticeable, unstable overclocking), the panel itself is of top quality when it comes to visual fidelity.

For a similar monitor from an American company you can expect to fork over 200-400 extra dollars. From the reading I've done, depending on your vendor, the chances of a highly defective panel are quite small. Some vendors offer a "Pixel Perfect" edition that guarantees 0-3 dead pixels, or they will replace the panel. The general consensus is it is a marketing ploy that isn't worth buying into. This is the specific model I went for. I could not find a cheaper alternative that offered the exact specifications I was looking for(at least from a reliable vendor). From other forums on the internet, the general agreement was that green-sum is [one of]the most reputable seller of these panels.

I highly suggest anyone interested in purchasing one of these monitors peruse over this 2000+ page mega thread for them over at overclock.net. It's got tons of wonderful information that really helped me confirm I wasn't just throwing $300 out the window.

Keep in mind I am just one person after all, I'm sure others more versed in 1440p displays can offer you the pros and cons of a Korean monitor vs an Asus/Acer/Dell/etc to help weigh in on your decision, but I will tell you I just spent $1600 on a new build, and this monitor is easily my favorite piece by far(that may change when Direct X 12 releases and we can see the true power of CPUs and GPUs). If you search this SA thread for Qnix/QX2710/Korean, you will see previous discourse goons have had about. From my recollection, most if not all goons who have picked one up have been very satisfied. I pulled the trigger after one concise recommendation from here a few pages back.

So that's my wall of text about this 1440p goddess. Now I'm off to find some 1440p porn, cause I know it's out there, and it has gotta be awesome.

Edit: One final note; I ordered it on a Monday. It arrived from South Korea the following Wednesday. If anyone has any other questions, requests or concerns, feel free to ask.

Nuja fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 11, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The extra buttons on the bottom of the QNIX definitely do function, but I did initial think they didn't too. The vol+- buttons are only for if you use the inbuilt 3W speakers with the aux input. They're poo poo so who cares. The brightness+- key DO work, but the increments are INCREDIBLY small. If you hold down a button to get to either extreme its noticeable. I run mine on max brightness because of the brightness loss from overclocking.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nuja posted:

So that's my wall of text about this 1440p goddess. Now I'm off to find some 1440p porn, cause I know it's out there, and it has gotta be awesome.
Worst case you can watch 4x720p pornos at once for a pseudo 1440p orgy I guess.

quote:

Disclaimer: I may just be biased and blinded due to the fact that this is the first time I've ever seen or used 1440p, above 60hz refresh rate(DRAGGING WINDOWS IS SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER), and any monitor bigger than 21.5". So take my post with that in mind. Others who have experience with multiple IPS/PLS 27" 1440p and greater than 60hz refresh rate may have a different take.
Haven't seen it myself (other than dumbass motion interpolation TVs) but 120-144Hz is on my checklist next time I get a screen cause this thread keeps talking about how nice it is :argh:

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006
I'm looking to buy a non-korean 1440p 27" screen, ive narrowed it down to the following models:

BenQ GW2765HT - 275£ http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm
Samsung S27D850T £320 (reduced down from 400£)

The BenQ seems reasonable, the processing time + response delay is just under 2 frames. Not sure about the Samsung.
Is the Samsung a higher quality item that's being reduced as newer models are superseding it, or is there something wrong with it?

Finding any sort of good TFTCentral-like reviews for the Samsung has been impossible.

Does anyone own either? is the Samsung a bargain?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chompers posted:

I'm looking to buy a non-korean 1440p 27" screen, ive narrowed it down to the following models:

Samsung S27D850T £320 (reduced down from 400£)

Hate to break it to you, but Samsung is Korean.

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Hate to break it to you, but Samsung is Korean.

You know what I mean, I'd prefer to not import an A- grade screen from south Korea.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Any word on when those 1440p, IPS, 120hz, GSync/whatever screens are going to hit this year?

Valithan
Mar 2, 2003
I recently upgraded my GPU and CPU and am in the market for a new monitor; I currently have this monitor. Though I do play a fair amount of games, my main motivation for a getting a new monitor (or adding another monitor) is that I don't have enough screen real estate for work/school stuff. I currently have an i5 4590K with an R9 270; planning on upgrading to a GTX 970 sometime in the next 3-4 months. I'm kind of leaning towards upgrading to a single 1440p screen right now over adding a second 1080p screen; ideally I'd like to get something with a higher refresh rate/G-Sync. In that case am I better of waiting six months or so to upgrade since a lot of manufacturers just started rolling out higher-res displays with G-Sync/144hz/IPS ect.?

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

Looks like Monoprice just started carrying a 24" 144hz monitor (aka what I'm looking for)... anybody have any info on what kind of panel this may be using or anything else about build quality (I.e., how does it stack up against the BenQ XL2411z or the Asus VG248qe)?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=12178&seq=1&format=2

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Valithan posted:

I recently upgraded my GPU and CPU and am in the market for a new monitor; I currently have this monitor. Though I do play a fair amount of games, my main motivation for a getting a new monitor (or adding another monitor) is that I don't have enough screen real estate for work/school stuff. I currently have an i5 4590K with an R9 270; planning on upgrading to a GTX 970 sometime in the next 3-4 months. I'm kind of leaning towards upgrading to a single 1440p screen right now over adding a second 1080p screen; ideally I'd like to get something with a higher refresh rate/G-Sync. In that case am I better of waiting six months or so to upgrade since a lot of manufacturers just started rolling out higher-res displays with G-Sync/144hz/IPS ect.?

Get a 1440p primary, and move your current monitor to secondary.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

illezt posted:

Looks like Monoprice just started carrying a 24" 144hz monitor (aka what I'm looking for)... anybody have any info on what kind of panel this may be using or anything else about build quality (I.e., how does it stack up against the BenQ XL2411z or the Asus VG248qe)?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=12178&seq=1&format=2

I got nothing except that it pisses me off what power connection they use. Use a standard plug ya fucks :argh:

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Is Chromebook Pixel REALLY the best IPS display on the market?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Any word on when those 1440p, IPS, 120hz, GSync/whatever screens are going to hit this year?

OCUK has them slated for the end of March. £60/$90 (inc tax) more than the ROG Swift.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-077-AC

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

GreenNight posted:

I got nothing except that it pisses me off what power connection they use. Use a standard plug ya fucks :argh:

It is a standard plug. It just uses an external power brick rather than having everything in the display.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

repiv posted:

OCUK has them slated for the end of March. £60/$90 (inc tax) more than the ROG Swift.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-077-AC
How is that thing supposed to use its speakers? DisplayPort doesn't carry audio. :psyduck:

vvv I did not know that :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 11, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

DisplayPort doesn't carry audio. :psyduck:
Yes it does.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
DisplayPort 1.2 is supposed to carry USB but my LG 34UM95P certainly doesn't do that over DisplayPort. I can definitely say it can carry audio though because I use it with my headphones out the back of the monitor or with the built-in speakers. What's hilarious is that on the official LG forums one of their reps said that the monitor doesn't have speakers. Yeah.... there's a lot of misinformation with this monitor. The weirdness with this monitor for me is trying to figure out when the USB hub kicks in with the input selection and when it's carried over Thunderbolt.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

CRAYON posted:

It is a standard plug. It just uses an external power brick rather than having everything in the display.

Still another thing to lose, seriously, it happens. I got hundreds of standard cables, but not bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

It's a cost-saving thing, if you use an external power brick you don't have to get the main product certified for electrical safety since the brick is already certified by its manufacturer.