Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm three hours into Xenoblade and it is probably one of the best RPGs ever made so far.

And again this looks like a PS3 game: http://i.imgur.com/8UPPhX1.jpg

I wanna hear your opinion in ten hours.
I mean, it's pretty great, but sometimes the first 3 hours don't really reflect the whole thing(IE:Ni No Kuni).
Also lots of people seem to just really burn out after a while for some reason. I guess the time investment required is a bit too much?

Infinity Gaia posted:

It... does? I didn't even know a sequel to that thing EXISTED. I didn't really like, HATE, Guided Fate Paradox, it was just kinda mediocre, so I'm willing to give the sequel a try, but..
What even was that game anyway? All I remember was people complaining about too much plot (how does that even happen in an RPG?) compared to ZHP.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wow, that is literally negative amounts of marketing. What the gently caress is NISA's plan with these games, anyways?

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Pray that their built-in fanbase from Disgaea buys all of the NIS game along with whatever otaku-bait games with low production values they end up grabbing.
Basically. They're so desperate right now that they're rehashing 5 year old games that already had improved rereleases into collections just because they still own the licenses to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HGH posted:

I mean, it's pretty great, but sometimes the first 3 hours don't really reflect the whole thing(IE:Ni No Kuni).
Also lots of people seem to just really burn out after a while for some reason. I guess the time investment required is a bit too much?

Xenoblade's one of those games where "I'm 3/6/9 hours in", is fundamentally meaningless because it's easy to blow that much time in the first few zones on sidequests (or hell, even just on Colony 9's). The burnout's probably from making the rookie mistake of trying to do them all before moving on, like you would in an MMO.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Xenoblade's one of those games where "I'm 3/6/9 hours in", is fundamentally meaningless because it's easy to blow that much time in the first few zones on sidequests (or hell, even just on Colony 9's). The burnout's probably from making the rookie mistake of trying to do them all before moving on, like you would in an MMO.

Yeah basically. My first 3 hours were in Colony 9 doing all the sidequests before I said gently caress it and moved on.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was my problem, and then you feel like you've out-level'd the content you encounter

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HGH posted:

Basically. They're so desperate right now that they're rehashing 5 year old games that already had improved rereleases into collections just because they still own the licenses to them.
Isn't Disgaea a license to print money? How can they be doing poorly?

I'm cautiously optimistic for The Awakened Fate Ultimatum, but mostly I just wanted to type that name out because they somehow managed to top The Guided Fate Paradox.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

HGH posted:

For me it was the level scaling. You where either too high, or two low, so I always felt like walking on egg shells for that good "just right" difficulty. At least in a more traditional system I could drop some of the more broken weapons/armors, but once you're over leveled, you're over leveled. Anything you do that deals with the lower level content ends up an utterly uninteresting chore. Having to so closely micromanage your characters' growth when layered on a fair bit side quests that will lock you out of them and you got a rather tiring experience. Yeah, you can skip the side-quests if you don't need the levels, the problem is, if you're INTERESTED in the characters, or trying to grind up one of the other silly mechanical features (affection) a lot of people will want to do them regardless of needing the levels.

Game would have benefited enormously from eliminating the level scaling. One of the absolute most boneheaded design decisions for a single player RPG.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't Disgaea a license to print money? How can they be doing poorly?

"License to print money" is an unusual thing to say about a franchise that averages less in its lifetime than maybe 2 iterations of Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, or Pokemon.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I burned out from Xenoblade when I was too underleveled to beat a late game boss. I tried distracting myself by collecting all the blue orb items in the snow zone but one was really rare (or I was just unlucky) and that zone was huge and white and boring and depressing, I thought. And I didn't like using a wiki to find out when NPCs were active.
I feel like the game would have benefited from the ability to run faster and a way to more easily navigate the NPC relationship menu, like a search function. I must be the only person who isn't excited at all about the next game's claim of being 5x larger. Running around for hours just gives me WoW PTSD. I hope the robot you have is like a mount or you can fly or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fun Times! posted:

I burned out from Xenoblade when I was too underleveled to beat a late game boss. I tried distracting myself by collecting all the blue orb items in the snow zone but one was really rare (or I was just unlucky) and that zone was huge and white and boring and depressing, I thought. And I didn't like using a wiki to find out when NPCs were active.
I feel like the game would have benefited from the ability to run faster and a way to more easily navigate the NPC relationship menu, like a search function. I must be the only person who isn't excited at all about the next game's claim of being 5x larger. Running around for hours just gives me WoW PTSD. I hope the robot you have is like a mount or you can fly or something.

From the looks of it, Xenoblade-X has a hex-based fast-travel system to replace Xenoblade's staggered monument locations. Plus the mechs can indeed fly - They have three states of Car/Robot/Flying Robot and can transition between them seemlessly (I'm guessing it's a second "travel" state that can just switch between Car and Flying with a single jump)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I enjoyed my time with Xenoblade but the allure of cheating with Ocarina was just too great so I wound up using ridiculous Mega Heat gems super early and opened up all of the skill trees so I could just focus on exploring and fighting.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tae posted:

"License to print money" is an unusual thing to say about a franchise that averages less in its lifetime than maybe 2 iterations of Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, or Pokemon.
It's not a lot of money, but it sure is a consistent stream, and it's not like the games themselves even require that much effort given the target fanbase.

...also, total Baader-Meinhof on Yokai Watch. Seriously, this is the third time this week and I'd never heard of it before. What is it, exactly, and why is it enormous in Japan?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's not a lot of money, but it sure is a consistent stream, and it's not like the games themselves even require that much effort given the target fanbase.

...also, total Baader-Meinhof on Yokai Watch. Seriously, this is the third time this week and I'd never heard of it before. What is it, exactly, and why is it enormous in Japan?

Pokemon.

Like, literally pokemon with slightly different mechanics. Unlike other pokemon clones (Fossil Fighters, etc) this one managed to get super popular and competes with new pokemon releases in sales. Plus its got all the marketing poo poo like a TV show and tons of merch.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Level 40 naked party in Xenoblade against a level 98.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

What even was that game anyway? All I remember was people complaining about too much plot (how does that even happen in an RPG?) compared to ZHP.

Imagine ZHP but without any of the good humor, and also every single loving floor had you watch a 10-15min cutscene. It broke up the flow to a ridiculous degree

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Imagine ZHP but without any of the good humor, and also every single loving floor had you watch a 10-15min cutscene. It broke up the flow to a ridiculous degree

Yeah, that's the thing.

ZHP had a cutscene maybe every couple of floors. GFP has one literally every single floor. And they are boring and unfunny and repetitive and tedious and made me want to jab a knife in my eye.

Also they went more all-in on the Disgaea over the Roguelike for the worse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't NIS recently say they were gonna go bankrupt if Disgaea 5 didn't do well?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That was a joke apparently. I think?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Didn't NIS recently say they were gonna go bankrupt if Disgaea 5 didn't do well?

They said after the fact they were 'joking' but it's probably a joke with a ring of truth to it. NIS's non-Disgaea games have all bombed and Disgaea's sales numbers have gotten worse while production budgets have gotten higher.

They're probably either going to get absorbed or go all-in on making Panty Molestation Simulator 7: Otaku Money Feeds Our Children.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Weird that making the same loving Disgaea game over and over again hasn't worked out for them.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
I enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles a lot, it's one of the better RPGs I've played in a long time. I didn't finish it tho. I think it's because the game is quite long and there is a TON of side content to do, also the leveling ratio is kind of funky. You level decently quickly if you're at or below the level of the enemies, beyond that you basically don't level at all. So you can grind forever on side quests and stuff, if you do you'll be slightly over leveled in the next area, rinse and repeat.

I spent too much time doing side content and felt myself burning out around the 100 hour mark, so I tried to just power through the rest of the game, but quickly enemies started kicking my rear end and I was back to having to grind at least a bit in each section in order to be able to progress, and eventually I just ran out of interest in the game and stopped. It's too bad too, I should at least look up the rest of the game in a lets play some time so I can see how it ended.

I enjoyed what I played of The Last Story as well even tho the story it's self is pretty trite. A full cast of amusing adult characters and some novel game play took me quite a ways. Oh also it's super linear, town scene, action scene, story scene, action scene, I'm not sure if you ever have the freedom to do anything other than explore town and then do the next mission. Still worth having played tho.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

evilskillit posted:

I enjoyed what I played of The Last Story as well even tho the story it's self is pretty trite. A full cast of amusing adult characters and some novel game play took me quite a ways. Oh also it's super linear, town scene, action scene, story scene, action scene, I'm not sure if you ever have the freedom to do anything other than explore town and then do the next mission. Still worth having played tho.

To be fair, there's a few side-story chapters to hunt through the city for. You'll know when one's available when the game skips a chapter number. It is very linear otherwise though, but at 30 hours at most it doesn't really push its luck. It's also worth going back and playing Xenoblade Chronicles to the end, because it is worth slogging it to get there :allears:.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Doesn't Dolphin pretty much play Xenoblade perfectly at this point? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a special Dolphin build just for Xenoblade if there's an HD texture pack and everything.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
NIS needs to make more games like Soul Nomad. Also the only game that didn't get a port.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They said after the fact they were 'joking' but it's probably a joke with a ring of truth to it. NIS's non-Disgaea games have all bombed and Disgaea's sales numbers have gotten worse while production budgets have gotten higher.

They're probably either going to get absorbed or go all-in on making Panty Molestation Simulator 7: Otaku Money Feeds Our Children.

I'm pretty sure the Disgaea 5 director clarified that and said he would lose his job if the game bombed, not that NIS would be in trouble.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
Everyone plays Xenoblade wrong.

You do exactly zero of the side content except maybe keep an eye out for gems, and when a boss seems to be impenetrable, you should only have to gain one more level, tinker with arts/gems a bit. Then retry. I almost always died to each boss once, I would say half the time I grinded out 1 level party-wide then won on a few more retries, the other half the time i just retried till I won.

I think people just are just assuming they're too weak if they wipe against the boss too easily.

I'm very close to the end and I've not intentionally done any of the MMO stuff, and Its a greater game this way. The boss fights have been really fun to get through. That said, I hope the MMO stuff is fun in X, because I'd like it to pull me into that stuff where the original Xenoblade made it seem like a waste of time and basically made you play a crappier game.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, there's a few side-story chapters to hunt through the city for. You'll know when one's available when the game skips a chapter number. It is very linear otherwise though, but at 30 hours at most it doesn't really push its luck. It's also worth going back and playing Xenoblade Chronicles to the end, because it is worth slogging it to get there :allears:.

If I still have my Dolphin saves for it I'll put it on my to-play more list. But there's like 5 or 6 games on there one of which is still Dark Souls 2, because :darksouls:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Rascyc posted:

Doesn't Dolphin pretty much play Xenoblade perfectly at this point? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a special Dolphin build just for Xenoblade if there's an HD texture pack and everything.

Dolphin is evolving so rapidly lately that every "special build" is gonna be outdated within weeks or even days. You're better off just grabbing the automated build every so often.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If you want to have challenging battles in Xenoblade and still do sidequests, then you ignore all quests with experience as a reward until you've advanced an area or two past where you get the quest. For example, don't do Colony 9 quests until you're finished with the Bionis Leg, or at least a good chunk of the way through it. By that point the experience gains from those quests are too small to make any meaningful difference.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Zeuhl posted:

Everyone plays Xenoblade wrong.

You do exactly zero of the side content except maybe keep an eye out for gems, and when a boss seems to be impenetrable, you should only have to gain one more level, tinker with arts/gems a bit. Then retry. I almost always died to each boss once, I would say half the time I grinded out 1 level party-wide then won on a few more retries, the other half the time i just retried till I won.

I think people just are just assuming they're too weak if they wipe against the boss too easily.

I'm very close to the end and I've not intentionally done any of the MMO stuff, and Its a greater game this way. The boss fights have been really fun to get through. That said, I hope the MMO stuff is fun in X, because I'd like it to pull me into that stuff where the original Xenoblade made it seem like a waste of time and basically made you play a crappier game.

The sidequest stuff is completely optional and only necessary if you're a completionist sperglord, which is great IMO.

Also Xenoblade + HD textures is basically a PC game now so

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I will say that so far Xenoblade is the most "next-gen" feeling JRPG I've played so far. Odd being that it is on the Wii.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Probably means a lot of re-playability. :D

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Erebus posted:

Weird that making the same loving Disgaea game over and over again hasn't worked out for them.
I heard that the WatHK production was hugely problematic and basically almost killed them, on top of losing half their people to IF because of low wages.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
There's nothing in Xenoblade like Final Fantasy where you go "I'll just spend 5 minutes in town doing a bit of prep and then the next boss is weak to thunder so I will win with no effort, but I'll buy 99 Phoenix Downs too just in case"

In Xenoblade, you don't have the option to prep for a boss in such an obvious and easy manner.

I liked having no crutches to lean on in a JRPG, its exciting!

The one thing I forgot to do which may have made the game a lot harder was level up Monado Arts. I only realized I could level them up after I did the boss fight where you save Melia while she's on her trial, and that woman screams at you a lot

(I'm walkin' around pretty good!)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erebus posted:

They made a ton of other games in between the Disgaeas that not nearly as many of their fans seemed to like, so this isn't really fair.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

NIS needs to make more games like Soul Nomad. Also the only game that didn't get a port.

As nice as it would be to have a spiritual sequel to either Phantom Brave or Soul Nomad, it's just never going to happen, since I don't think either of those games sold particularly well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Last Celebration posted:

They made a ton of other games in between the Disgaeas that not nearly as many of their fans seemed to like, so this isn't really fair.

If anything, they're desperately trying to make other games, but making the same one over and over again is the only thing that feeds their children.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

If anything, they're desperately trying to make other games, but making the same one over and over again is the only thing that feeds their children.

Pretty much.

Even ZHP, which they've been doing sorta-sequels to, was rejected for not being "Disgaea enough" which is why the sequels are way more disgaea.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Xenoblade also does the thing that makes me hate JRPGs, which is hiding character skill trees among the hundreds of side quests. If I didn't consult the wiki I never would have found most of them since they are rewards that come at the end of various quest chains. That is to say though that I do not hate Xenoblade, it is a good game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I hate Xenoblade though!

Well, I guess I was just another person who burnt out on it. Too many sidequests made me stop caring about what was going, and then I just stopped playing.

Zeuhl posted:

There's nothing in Xenoblade like Final Fantasy where you go "I'll just spend 5 minutes in town doing a bit of prep and then the next boss is weak to thunder so I will win with no effort, but I'll buy 99 Phoenix Downs too just in case"

In Xenoblade, you don't have the option to prep for a boss in such an obvious and easy manner.

I liked having no crutches to lean on in a JRPG, its exciting!

If your standard is "harder than a Final Fantasy game" then I think you have many options available nowadays.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the thing i didn't like about xenoblade was that i didn't do any of the sidequests which was fine for most of the game, but near the end the level curve of bosses outscales exp gain and i was so underleveled against some bosses that I couldn't hit with any of my attacks without grinding first because of the really dumb penalty applied if there's a gap in levels

i know there's poo poo you can do with gems to counteract that but I shouldn't need to build my characters in a specific way to get around an entirely arbitrary stat penalty and the whole gem creation system was dumb anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Last Celebration posted:

That's true, but I'm just saying that "sales numbers for Disgaea are falling" isn't surprising when Disgaea is always the same.

I'm happy to blame terrible otakus for the problem as much as blaming NIS.