Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
agent blue
Nov 14, 2012
I'm so interested in trying this game out now. I haven't played this series since The Sims 2. Origin isn't the only avenue to its acquisition, is it?

And Samara, you're in college. That means you're practically an adult now, so you need to clean up that juice box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

agent blue posted:

I'm so interested in trying this game out now. I haven't played this series since The Sims 2. Origin isn't the only avenue to its acquisition, is it?

Origin's having an anniversary sale right now, but unlike TS4 the disk versions are actually on disk. So physical's a valid option.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The Sims 3 and The Sims Medieval are also available on Steam. The rest of the franchise is not, however.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

They're also loving expensive and I'm not sure if EA is ever going to let Valve put them on sale again.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Mr Tastee posted:

They're also loving expensive and I'm not sure if EA is ever going to let Valve put them on sale again.

The Sims Medieval is ten bucks, with ten more if you want the sole expansion, which is fairly reasonable, by EA standards. The Sims 3, however, is pretty ridiculous in how much each expansion costs. Like, the base game's just twenty dollars, which is reasonable, but every single expansion is also twenty dollars, regardless of content.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

The Sims Medieval is ten bucks, with ten more if you want the sole expansion, which is fairly reasonable, by EA standards. The Sims 3, however, is pretty ridiculous in how much each expansion costs. Like, the base game's just twenty dollars, which is reasonable, but every single expansion is also twenty dollars, regardless of content.
20 dollars or 20 euros each, at the current -50% sale. Still overpriced. :(

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

EclecticTastes posted:

This is true. I bought the base game and all the expansions via money I got just by selling some TF2 unusual hat over Steam. It was still over $100 even with a -66% sale.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

This is true. I bought the base game and all the expansions via money I got just by selling some TF2 unusual hat over Steam. It was still over $100 even with a -66% sale.

How many expansions are there?!?! Because that sounds insane

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Stephen9001 posted:

How many expansions are there?!?! Because that sounds insane

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

So rounding up, including the price of the base game, a feature-complete Sims 3 ends up being about $400.

:stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For me the base price is 39,99€.

:homebrew:

Origin uses my national currency, so every item would be about 2-3€ more expensive if I were dumb enough to ever use it. But at least I'm not in Australia.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 11, 2015

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

a bloody icon posted:

So rounding up, including the price of the base game, a feature-complete Sims 3 ends up being about $400.

:stare:

This is not counting the +$X000 worth of "online store" content for the game as well.

Buy a chair for your sims! $3bux!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

And even if you're me and don't bother with the stuff pack's it's awful. I was able to do it because I more or less bought each EP as it came out, but that's when they were at full price.

And keep in mind that there are people in this world who have every pack AND a poo poo ton of store items.

If you really want to start playing the game, the best thing to do is get the base game and one full expansion pack that interests you.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

That's not even including all the hundreds of dlc items that range in cost from $1 for a hat, to $20+ for a town.
And your ultimate prize for buying everything is a game that takes half an hour to load.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gruckles posted:

That's not even including all the hundreds of dlc items that range in cost from $1 for a hat, to $20+ for a town.
And your ultimate prize for buying everything is a game that takes half an hour to load.
But at least it's a more stable, less buggy and not as likely to get corrupted, right?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Poil posted:

But at least it's a more stable, less buggy and not as likely to get corrupted, right?

:shepicide:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

SystemLogoff posted:

This is not counting the +$X000 worth of "online store" content for the game as well.

Buy a chair for your sims! $3bux!

Last I checked, when you buy an expansion, you get some simbux for free to buy some of that stuff.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lotish posted:

Last I checked, when you buy an expansion, you get some simbux for free to buy some of that stuff.

Only the original base game and World Adventures man. EA isn't made of simbux.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It's not as if Simoleons grew on trees, now!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Poil posted:

Ever since world adventures, there's been a third party mod to fix when sims go on "World Adventures" or other leave home type things that's required if you want to have things not explode.*

This bug has not been fixed since World Adventures came out. :v:

The one reason I really enjoy Sims 4, nothing is so broken that data explodes in a ball of fire.

*For Example: Read Here

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 11, 2015

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm not a big fan of Sims 4, but even I have to admit the small, frequent loads are less annoying then the unstable, laggy, megaloads that sims 3 has.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I can't wait to try Sims 4 after EA releases five expansions to dripfeed basic features from previous series and a sprinkling of maybe new stuff into their new cash cow.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Was Sims 3 ever popular enough to have a fan do a massive bug fix patch? Because of this LP I'm probably going to get the game and start playing again, but I still have nightmares about load times and other stupid poo poo. The last Sims LP I watched had the Story Progression mod - can anyone suggest anything else?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Sadly, horrendous load times are the nature of the beast with Sims 3. I use the load times to use the restroom, make some coffee, check email/twitter, and hopefully it's done by then.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

tlarn posted:

Sadly, horrendous load times are the nature of the beast with Sims 3. I use the load times to use the restroom, make some coffee, check email/twitter, and hopefully it's done by then.
To be fair both Sims 1 and 2 also had glacial loading.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, the Sims 3 is much, much worse, even when it was first released the issue was there.

Sims 1/Sims 4 seem to have the best loading times, but I have no idea how well Sims 4 will keep it up.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Was Sims 3 ever popular enough to have a fan do a massive bug fix patch? Because of this LP I'm probably going to get the game and start playing again, but I still have nightmares about load times and other stupid poo poo. The last Sims LP I watched had the Story Progression mod - can anyone suggest anything else?

The difference between TS3 and its three other siblings is that one load loads everything, but that everything can be gigantic.

People's suggestions differ, but I'd recommend Master Controller, Story Progression, Error Trap, and Overwatch at the least, especially if you do long legacy play. If you're going to get an expansion with travel such as World Adventures, University Life, or Into the Future, you also need to get Traveler. Make sure to fully patch your game. Save early, save often. Make sure you have more than 4 GB of RAM if you don't have a gaming rig already.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
Thanks to this lp I decided to replay some sims 3 myself. Of course, after a few days of happy simming my game is broken and now crashes the instant it loads. As in, 15-20 minutes loading time, 30 seconds of gameplay. It's fun.

As for the lp, I think we need to gradually smuggle expensive poo poo from the dorms home. Those college kids don't need a pool table, do they?

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Well, costly though it may be, with 3 (and 2) at least there's a lot of free stuff you can add - if you know where to look for it. People have made a lot of great stuff (a lot of it better than the base stuff you purchase :/ ) so that's always a plus. Add the design mode (dear god, please give us back design mode. I miss it so much. Why did they remove it from 4? I mean, I understand why they removed toddlers, and I guess I can get why they took out pools but why oh why would you ever remove one of the best features of the series?!) and you can make every house look very different.

:sigh:

Oh, and in case any of you were wondering, the Australian cost would be, oh, $542.25AU. Yeah. I could buy a new computer (that could run Sims 4 on it) for that much money.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 11, 2015

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

silversatyr posted:

Well, costly though it may be, with 3 (and 2) at least there's a lot of free stuff you can add - if you know where to look for it. People have made a lot of great stuff (a lot of it better than the base stuff you purchase :/ ) so that's always a plus. Add the design mode (dear god, please give us back design mode. I miss it so much. Why did they remove it from 4? I mean, I understand why they removed toddlers, and I guess I can get why they took out pools but why oh why would you ever remove one of the best features of the series?!) and you can make every house look very different.

Well, they added pools back after the outrage, but knowing EA their main reason for taking it out was to sell it back later in an expansion pack. "Buy the Sims 4: Dreadful Designs now for 30 bucks!"

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
The bizarre thing is that, according to Steam, expansion packs and stuff packs are now the same price ($20). Don't buy the stuff packs, and only buy the expansion packs that interest you. Also, stay away from the EA Store.

Best sites for Sims 3 mods:
Mod the Sims (lots of content, and good tutorials, but you need a free account to download stuff)
NRaas Industries (most important ones: Master Controller, Story Progression, Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Traveller if you have World Adventures)

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
One mod I've been using for years is the AwesomeMod available at http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/

The latest version, along with the framework needed for it can be found at http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15185.0.html

Lots of it is configurable, and the manual explains quite a bit of the features. It's compatible with most non-core mods, including most of NRaas mods. The forum culture is a bit... unpleasant if you aren't ready for it. So, don't post there. Read the manual, download the mod, then run for your life.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

A lot of people point of NRaas's stuff, but never seem to point out Saver, a Really Good Mod. You can configure it to prompt a save in real time minutes or sim minutes, so that you can set it to save every now and then (while you get up and use the restroom or get a drink or something). I personally set it to save every two sim days. Then when the game inevitably crashes, you won't lose more then 10-20 minutes of progress.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

Simsmagic posted:

save every now and then

AwesomeMod does that too, configurable to do it every 5 up to 60 minutes, with an option to only do it when the game is paused, and an option whether to pause or play once it finishes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

HomestarCanter posted:

AwesomeMod does that too, configurable to do it every 5 up to 60 minutes, with an option to only do it when the game is paused, and an option whether to pause or play once it finishes.

The difference is I don't play my game like Pescado. I'd rather have the ability to literally control everything that Story Progression brings.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Visit another dorm and/or Frat house and spend some time there.
I feel like we need a change of scenery. Putting our own dorm on lockdown first is optional

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
College: Week 3

Beautiful.

Okay, not really. But college is a time for experimentation.

Samara will be sporting a bad blonde dye-job and garish green contacts for a while.

This should only apply to her college outfit.

...Okay, apparently not.

How about we just...sport this look for the next two semesters or so instead?

Since we're here, let's also start cleaning up the dorm for once.

There we go, now we've freed up some precious dining room space.

Look, you gotta crawl before you can run.

To do

☐ Befriend a Robot
☐ Travel abroad
☐ Tragic clown to the face
☐ Adopt a magical unicorn
☐ Blame it on Quincey
☐ Time travel
☐ Become an official criminal
☐ Matchmake for Quincey
☐ Become a licensed everything
☐ Play guitar for tips
☐ Enroll Quincey
☐ Be cruel to your school
☑ Make your eye color green #33BB00
☑ Dye your hair blonde
☐ Go bowling with Dean Pelton and Best Friend Millie
☐ Make friends with the fat woman
☐ Cheat in college with Dean Pelton
☐ Cheat on Clayton with Dean Pelton
☐ Cheat on Clayton with everybody

☐ Blow something up
☐ Mark your territory...with graffiti
☐ Pizza for every meal
☐ And beer instead of water
☑ Pick up that can
☐ Smuggle everything out of the dorms
☐ Spend a semester at a sorority house

MONDAY

This semester, we're going to double our course load and finish up our business degree, so when we inevitably get expelled we at least have that to fall back on.

Essentially, Samara will be doing about a third extra more work. We hardly had enough time to do anything with our normal course load, so it's going to be a pretty boring and stressful semester.

As we all know, having no fun isn't fun. So instead, while Samara slaves away at college...

Let's see how Quincey's doing!

...He could be better.

Maybe some mail will cheer him up. Samara's letter should be here by now.

Some kind words from a dear friend will surely--

Whoops, that was supposed to go to Samara's boyfriend.

Okay, time for Plan B. We enroll Quincey in college so he can--Oh, he's already got every degree.

...Well...Time to pull out the big guns, then.

No more screwing around, it's time for our boy Gengis.

Today, we shall aid Quincey on his love quest.

Now that we're somebody who is on the same equal educational and economic terms as him, we can finally do our long-requested goal...

And marry Quincey!

Uhm...that is to say...Gengis will...

Gengis would...if he wasn't already married to his much better and more attractive, beautiful wife, Blaise.

Okay, time for Plan C.

Instead, with Valentine's Day coming up, Gengis will help Quincey by acting as his wingman for a while until we can find Quincey a girlfriend.

To mach speed! It's a love emergency!

Alright, Gengis arrived at Quincey's house, and...

Ugh...

Cats everywhere.

No wonder Quincey is still sing--

Aww!

Kitties!

...No, no time for that. Gengis is getting distracted. Where's Quincey?

There he is! Looks like he's still cleaning up after his neighbors' last visit.

Hey Quincey, you really need to learn how to lock your doors.

But enough about home security.

It's no secret that you're a lonely, pathetic nobody. No woman would ever touch you with a 39-and-a-half foot pole held by somebody else, and everybody knows it, so--

Is your washer supposed to be doing that?

Gengis will take that as a "no."

Okay, okay. Stop screaming.

Gengis can fix this. All you need to do is sta--blblbl bl blblblug.

Blurblubblurbl.

Blurbl blub blug gublub? Blblblugblub...

...with the second one, and that it's as good as fixed.

Gengis tuned it up a little bit while he was working on it, too. Doing laundry should be an enjoyable, exciting experience, not a chore!

Goodness, gracious! Gengis had no idea your life was this miserable!

The awful love life is one thing, but broken appliances? Hording a household full of cats? Unclean laundry!?

You need 20mg's of serious life-coaching, stat. And Dr. Gengis is here to provide you with ample dosage.

...You got a computer?

Ah, you already have a profile? Dabbled in the world of online dating already, have you?

Show Gengis what you've got.

Ambitious? Snobbish? Perfectionist? Pancakes!?

What kind of woman are you trying to get?

How can you ever earn the attention of anybody by this...this...truthfulness?

No good relationship was ever founded without lying.

No, no, no. Here, click that one. And...that one.

And you need to smudge the truth a little bit here, as well...

That's it. A brave, genius, hopeless romantic with a great sense of humor and a body of the gods.

A masculine color like red, but a taste in classical music to show the touch of refinement. Filet Mignon as a favorite dish to show you have the wealth and fortune to afford such expensive tastes.

That is how you find a good life partner. You lie to get their attention, and then you tell them the truth after the first few dates. They'll be wooed by your honesty!

And if they get upset, it's their fault for not liking you for who you are! But for now, all you need to do is wait.

...You got an extra bedroom or something?

TUESDAY

Time to see Quincey's results.

You can practically just hear that inbox just bursting with messages.

Okay, Quincey. Get up! Love waits for no man!

And learn how to stop hogging the sheets while you're at it.

Uh...

Are you sure you set your profile to your...preferences?

Actually, why don't you go to them rather than waiting for them to come to you?

Hey, that girl looks cute.

Ooo, how about a walk on the wild side of life? Excitable, party animal, and night owl.

Go ahead and send her a message.

What!?

What did you even say to her, Quincey!?

...You also really need to block that Harry guy.

Let's see, what else did her profile say?

Artistic...classical music...likes the color pink...

Are you thinking what Gengis is thinking?

No?

Then stand aside, let Gengis fix this mess.

She probably didn't even look at your profile.

Gengis will just do a few...minor edits. People love dating others they have things in common with.

All you need to do now is just wait for her reply. So uh, what do you do for fun around this dump?

Mixology? Didn't know you had such interesting hobbies, Quincey.

Hey, free booze is more than enough to help pass the time.

Bleugh!

What did you put in this? Drain cleaner!? This is disgusting!

It's mixology! It's not even a real science! They just put "-ology" at the end to make it sound fancy!

Move it!

It cannot be THAT HARD to just throw a bunch of bottles around and mix a drink!

Watch, Gengis can do this with his eyes closed.

Whoops.

...Clean that up.

WEDNESDAY

What the hell!?

This isn't clean laundry! These clothes are dirtier than when they went in!

Whatever. Maybe the dryer can clean them up or something.

This is horrendous. Gengis tries his hardest to just impress everyone, and nothing even works the way it's supposed to when he does...

How can anybody believe that he's a great mechanic when everything he touches just breaks into a million pieces?

No! That's a defeatist attitude! Gengis isn't a quitter, he's a doer!

All he needs to do is just touch up the washer and dryer while he's here, and Quincey will be none the wiser.

Great.

No, just...just wonderful.

Quincey's still asleep, right?

Okay...so that was...washer on the right, dryer on the left...?

Good thing the department store has express delivery, otherwise Quin...

...Cey?

Ahem! Ah, Quincey. There you are.

Gengis just got finished tuning up your washer and dryer to top-of-the-line condition.

Because he's a mechanic. A good one. A good mechanic, that is.

...Gengis also, uh, gave it a new paint job. And...replaced some of the parts.

...Glad you like it.

So, how about that online dating?

What?

How!?

...Also, didn't Gengis tell you to block that Harry guy?

You know what? Keep pressuring her. That's how all good relationships start.

Send her a message. Insist she meets you at the local museum later this afternoon.

Just don't screw this up, this is your last shot with her...

THURSDAY

Hold on, hold on, what!?

So she sent her dad over to scare you into leaving her alone, and then when you thought it was a joke, he bit you!?

Pfft, what a daddy's girl. Good thing she didn't go out with you, she sounds like a pathetic wreck.

...Say, you're looking a little...

...Pale...

Did that guy give you an infection or something?

You know what you need?

Some sunlight. A little time outdoors is good for you.

Don't look so stressed. Sunbathing is easy, all you need to do is nothing!

Now sit down and take a load off!

Just relax on this chair for a few hours and Gengis will...hide indoors for a little bit. He sunburns easily.

Well, Gengis's brain is significantly rotted from all that TV. How's Quincey doing?

Ha ha! Look at that!

Now that's what you call a "sunburn!"

What are you doing, Quincey!? Gengis told you to put on sunscreen!

Get in here, you're embarrassing yourself!

Just stand still, already.

Good lord, you're a mess. Get cleaned up and then we'll chat.

Quincey, you haven't been acting yourself lately. Did you eat something you're not supp--

Wait...what's that?

You've got a...something on your neck.

Does your neck feel weird? Maybe you got a...sore throat or something?

No...? Maybe you should just see for yourself.

What do you mean you didn't see anything?

You know what, stay away from Gengis. You're probably contagious or something.

Just go rest in bed. A different bed, that is, and Gengis will see you tomorrow when you're hopefully all better.

FRIDAY

...You're not looking any better, Quincey.

You're starting to worry Gengis.

What? You're thirsty?

Thirsty, pale, discolored eyes...sunburning easily...

That's it, you're going to a doctor. And Gengis is taking you.

What...?

Yeah, Gengis heard that you were thirsty the first time, there's no need to--

oooooooooo...

...oooooooooo...

...oooooooooo.

Wow, college sure is easy when you don't know what happened for the entire semester.

To do

☐ Befriend a Robot
☐ Travel abroad
☐ Tragic clown to the face
☐ Adopt a magical unicorn
☐ Blame it on Quincey
☐ Time travel
☐ Become an official criminal
☑ Matchmake for Quincey
☐ Become a licensed everything
☐ Play guitar for tips
☐ Enroll Quincey
☐ Be cruel to your school
☐ Go bowling with Dean Pelton and Best Friend Millie
☐ Make friends with the fat woman
☐ Blow something up
☐ Mark your territory...with graffiti
☐ Pizza for every meal
☐ And beer instead of water
☐ Spend a semester at a sorority house

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Oh man, that semester sure was crazy! I really liked the heist Samara got mixed up in. What crazy thing will she do next?

I have no idea. In fact, take a wildcard and just do something that YOU want to do.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Okay, that was cute and all, now let's cure Quincey and Genghis of their vampirism. They are not cool enough to be vampires. Give 'em a week as werewolves sometime, though, just for the hell of it.

And who are you to dictate who Quincey pursues romantically? That's our job! Respect Quincey's orientation and allow him to pursue a relationship with Harry, he seems pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

EclecticTastes posted:

Okay, that was cute and all, now let's cure Quincey and Genghis of their vampirism. They are not cool enough to be vampires. Give 'em a week as werewolves sometime, though, just for the hell of it.

And who are you to dictate who Quincey pursues romantically? That's our job! Respect Quincey's orientation and allow him to pursue a relationship with Harry, he seems pretty nice.

Once Samara returns from the University of Simliness, she will have to craft several cure potions if this epidemic continues the way it seems it will.

• Locked thread