Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just watching through the remastered ep1 of DM when I hit a note.

Kaiba's flunkies make mention that they picked up three of the four BEWDs but I was under the impression that he had them before the series started.

Course I could be trying to make Season Zero fit into DM Continuity again which is something I shoudln't realy do.

In the manga he didn't have them from the start, he tried to steal Yugi's grandpa's copy, but by.. I think his second appearance? He had the other three. His second appearance was where he tortured Yugi's grandpa in the holographic room, which I guess was adapted into hospitalising him before the duel with Yugi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dabir posted:

In the manga he didn't have them from the start, he tried to steal Yugi's grandpa's copy, but by.. I think his second appearance? He had the other three. His second appearance was where he tortured Yugi's grandpa in the holographic room, which I guess was adapted into hospitalising him before the duel with Yugi.

He also mentions that to get those cards he ended up needing to bankrupt some company presidents and use his mafia ties to dispose of another one.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Will the page 1 post on ZEXAL be some hyperbole one-liner THIS SUCKS DON'T WATCH THIS NO REALLY 4 REAL, or will there be an effort post detailing just how lovely the series is?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I certainly wouldn't demand that Beef Waifu go through and summarise all of the horribly dumb poo poo that happens in ZEXAL. I wouldn't blame him if it was just one line.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If I just wanted to watch the highlights of 5Ds, which duels and moments should I check out?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

TheKingofSprings posted:

If I just wanted to watch the highlights of 5Ds, which duels and moments should I check out?

Everything through the Dark Signers arc and then the final 3 episodes or so. However long the Epilogue is.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Dabir posted:

Yeah. Man, early yu-gi-oh was amazing. Kaiba literally got so mad over losing to Yugi that he built an entire murder-amusement park to kill him

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Exercu posted:

Yeah. Man, early yu-gi-oh was amazing. Kaiba literally got so mad over losing to Yugi that he built an entire murder-amusement park to kill him

Wasn't Mokuba the one who tried to kill him with the Amusement Park? Oh yeah, reminder to people, Mokuba was a giant shithead in early Yu-Gi-Oh. Just as much an rear end in a top hat as seto.

Fake Edit: No he pariticpates in Death-T but he challened Yugi to Capsule Monster Chess. He did however challenge Yugi and Jounouchi to Russian Roulette Dinner. Which is exactly what it sounds like and Mokuba was SUCH a massive shithead.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh man I actually completely forgot about the Russian Roulette Dinner. Honestly can't believe Yugi and co ever forgave the little brat for that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wow. These new Pendulum cards are bullshit and the near one turn kills from this episode were incredibly lame. If there's one thing I dislike about Arc V it's how a lot of these kind of minor duels always have the unimportant guy instantly annihilate the protagonist without losing a life-point in order to make it into an underdog battle.The actual important duels tend to avoid this but it's still really annoying.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wow. These new Pendulum cards are bullshit and the near one turn kills from this episode were incredibly lame. If there's one thing I dislike about Arc V it's how a lot of these kind of minor duels always have the unimportant guy instantly annihilate the protagonist without losing a life-point in order to make it into an underdog battle.The actual important duels tend to avoid this but it's still really annoying.

Are these the Qualifier duels? because yeah they're the worst part of the series by far, except for the last.

I just hop Arc-V doesn't get into Zexal territories of bullshit attack strength. Because it's something like 100k attack points.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Are these the Qualifier duels? because yeah they're the worst part of the series by far, except for the last.

I just hop Arc-V doesn't get into Zexal territories of bullshit attack strength. Because it's something like 100k attack points.

Yeah the qualifiers were what I was talking about but the latest episode was pretty bad about it too. And the only thing that has even reached anything resembling a kind of bullshit power level was one of Shun's falcons but only in an incredibly specific circumstance I doubt we'll need to worry about that for a while.

Also, I thought Yuya's duel against Mieru was alright even though it followed the same structure. Maybe just because it had actual character growth.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah the qualifiers were what I was talking about but the latest episode was pretty bad about it too. And the only thing that has even reached anything resembling a kind of bullshit power level was one of Shun's falcons but only in an incredibly specific circumstance I doubt we'll need to worry about that for a while.

Also, I thought Yuya's duel against Mieru was alright even though it followed the same structure. Maybe just because it had actual character growth.

It also built up to the actual proper conclusion of the arc Pendulum Fusion and honestly... so long as the major duels remain well done, I'll be happy, it's when those duels are bad that it's like "Why even bother. Gongenzaka vs Yaiba immediatly turned me around on the character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

It also built up to the actual proper conclusion of the arc Pendulum Fusion and honestly... so long as the major duels remain well done, I'll be happy, it's when those duels are bad that it's like "Why even bother. Gongenzaka vs Yaiba immediatly turned me around on the character.

The major duels have all been fantastic and at this point Arc V is my favourite Yugioh series (though this could change by the time it ends), but the huge underdog comebacks in minor duels has been an annoying trend it was finished for the most part after the qualifiers but episode 42 had some absolutely bullshit first turns. It's not making me dislike the show but it's just a little disappointing since for the most part it is really drat good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just like Halil. :3: I wonder who they got to be her voice actress since she actually has proper English pronounciation. Kind of random actually, considering she's suppose to be Middle Eastern, I guess.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The major duels have all been fantastic and at this point Arc V is my favourite Yugioh series (though this could change by the time it ends), but the huge underdog comebacks in minor duels has been an annoying trend it was finished for the most part after the qualifiers but episode 42 had some absolutely bullshit first turns. It's not making me dislike the show but it's just a little disappointing since for the most part it is really drat good.

It serves its purpose for the story as the Final nail in Yuyas pendulum monopoly coffin.

Other than that yeah absolute bullshit draws.
So they both got 2 pendulums 2 high levels and 1 fusion spell.

I call bullshit.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It serves its purpose for the story as the Final nail in Yuyas pendulum monopoly coffin.

This is correct, but the rear end in a top hat martial artists remain absolutely terrible. Not only because they put Yuya on the ropes so fast (it's better than dragging out the duel with these unimportant guys when we have bigger fishes to fry from a plot standpoint) but because their monsters are the most boring, generic vaguely mystical warriors they could come up with.

Halil, on the other hand, was pretty nice if somewhat politically incorrect. La Jinn is an absolute blast from the past, from back when Normal Summoning an level four, high attack monster was a viable strategy; and his Lamps' schtik is at least orginal from a mechanical standpoint.
I was hoping Yuzu could beat him, thus making it her first on-screen win against a guy, but I'll settle for a tag team battle.

And is that guy who saved Yuya's bacon going to be plot relevant? Goddamnit, the cast is already overcrowded as it is!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

La Jinn actually being a normal monster cracked me up, I can't remember a single normal monster being played through the entirety of 5Ds.

VVVVVVV: Goddammit you're right.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 11, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

La Jinn actually being a normal monster cracked me up, I can't remember a single normal monster being played through the entirety of 5Ds.

Team Taiyoh

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I disagree. I think they do a good job creating tension, especially because the fate of the world isn't tied to winning the tournament and losing a match here doesn't mean you're automatically knocked out. It's a filler duel sure, but the fact that Yuya could lose is enough to keep me invested.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

VVVVVVV: Goddammit you're right.

Unicycular. Maybe.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

what the HELL did they do to mai's voice

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

mabels big day posted:

what the HELL did they do to mai's voice

Her actress moved to California so they had to get a replacement.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jean's final turn.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

Her actress moved to California so they had to get a replacement.

Speaking of, I got a good chuckle when she got herself "Killed" in the Virtual World thingy between Duelist Kingdom and Battle City because Megan Holisted voiced Lennith from Valkyrie Profile and when she dies in that it's practically the same effect.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Slur posted:

Jean's final turn.

Any bit where the good guy gets out-played by the bad guy but the bad guy loses it all in the name of PLAYING THE GAME makes me laugh

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

alcharagia posted:

Any bit where the good guy gets out-played by the bad guy but the bad guy loses it all in the name of PLAYING THE GAME makes me laugh

The best thing is that it was totally pointless. You can lose twice in the WRGX (...it was that, right?) before getting kicked out, Team 5D's never loses. They could've lost this, to a team that actually showed more skill, and instead they win in an incredibly stupid way because the opponent suddenly becomes mentally retarded and decides that winning is less important than...some weird, out of place, nonsensical pride.

We could have avoided all this poo poo and still reached the same conclusion, but apparently our heroes must be absolutely invincible even if we have to gently caress everything up for it.

God, I love 5D's and yet that must be the most infuriating moment in the entire history of YGO for me. Even Zexal at its worst does not compare.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

The best thing is that it was totally pointless. You can lose twice in the WRGX (...it was that, right?) before getting kicked out, Team 5D's never loses. They could've lost this, to a team that actually showed more skill, and instead they win in an incredibly stupid way because the opponent suddenly becomes mentally retarded and decides that winning is less important than...some weird, out of place, nonsensical pride.

We could have avoided all this poo poo and still reached the same conclusion, but apparently our heroes must be absolutely invincible even if we have to gently caress everything up for it.

God, I love 5D's and yet that must be the most infuriating moment in the entire history of YGO for me. Even Zexal at its worst does not compare.

To make things worse, every other team in their bracket was rendered unable to compete by either Team Catastrophe or the Battle Royale against that robot army. They didn't even win their second match, they just advanced by default. The writers could have easily had them lose once.

Also, I don't know if this plot point was a dub-only thing or not, but it seemed like they foreshadowed that they would eventually face Ushio in the tournament. That would have been so much better than what we got instead.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Blaze Dragon posted:

i completely forgot until I just looked it up that Yusei literally loses two duels over the course of the entire series

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Even Zexal at its worst does not compare.

Re-contract Universe.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

alcharagia posted:

i completely forgot until I just looked it up that Yusei literally loses two duels over the course of the entire series

To be fair though, doesn't Yugi only lose once not including Filler? And that's when Kaiba threatens to commit suicide if Yugi beats him. I don't think main protagonists lose in Yugioh, like ever.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be fair though, doesn't Yugi only lose once not including Filler? And that's when Kaiba threatens to commit suicide if Yugi beats him. I don't think main protagonists lose in Yugioh, like ever.

i still haven't gone through the original yugioh, i'll let you know when i do. that said, jaden did lose a few times. he lost to zane, kaibaman, and aster.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

alcharagia posted:

i still haven't gone through the original yugioh, i'll let you know when i do. that said, jaden did lose a few times. he lost to zane, kaibaman, and aster.

Kaiser beat the poo poo out of Judai every time they come against one another. And yes Kaibaman, Edo and in the Manga, to Manjoume in the final of the tournament.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
also, season 3 was just one giant loss on the part of the viewer.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Onmi posted:

Kaiser beat the poo poo out of Judai every time they come against one another. And yes Kaibaman, Edo and in the Manga, to Manjoume in the final of the tournament.

Who the gently caress is Kaiser

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

alcharagia posted:

also, season 3 was just one giant loss on the part of the viewer.

loss.jpg maybe...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh wait, right, that was Zane's stupid nickname in the Japanese version

Technically it was a tie at the end of Season 1

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I love how close the series came to self-referencing this in the Grand Championship arc in season 5, with Kaiba blowing off the villain's literally hacked super magic card/virus with total confidence in Yugi's protagonist abilities.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's some more thematic goodness in Yugi's wins, he and Atem are amazeballs in every game, and Atem winning stuff by the buckets becomes interesting when Yugi steps in to outperform him and remind the viewer that it's not just Atem who's rad as gently caress, that they're on the same plane while every other character is trying desperately to catch up to them. Also meanwhile we got Jonouchi tying card games to being a better person and having scraped-by duels against duelists while Yugi deals with the crazy cheaters/murderers. It's just a whole different set of issues they face compared to Jaden, Yusei, Yuma and Yuya so the plot armor is never a real annoyance, specially since they only play the two tournaments and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Atem and Yugi lose two duels each (including filler). Yugi to suicidal Kaiba and Malik-controlledJounouchi. Atem to Raphael and Yugi (and I guess post-Battle City Jounouchi :shrug: ).

The most amazing example of Atem's bullshit protagonist ability was taking Kaiba's place against Noah, shuffling Kaiba's deck into his own and starting off at 100 LP. :v: Destiny-motherfucking-Draw like a champ.