Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

What, exactly, does Marking do when my Occultist does it to a guy?

Increases the damage the target takes and I believe increased the chance that hits are crits, or maybe it was higher accuracy I can't be certain at the moment.

DeathSandwich posted:

Bounty hunter skill kit is really underappreciated. You get flashbang, cain pull, a 100% melee damage attack that can be used from any position while hitting any position and does +33% damage to stunned targets. The mark attack isn't really good unless you've got an occultist paired up with you, but when you can make it work it'll absolutely floor enemies.

I thought the Bounty Hunter was useless for the most part until I rolled one with right move set, now I don't leave home without one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
marking is really good against high HP enemies especially bosses

basically anything that can take more than 2-3 attacks its worth it to mark

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Eonwe posted:

marking is really good against high HP enemies especially bosses

basically anything that can take more than 2-3 attacks its worth it to mark

Similarly, stacking bleeds is one of the best ways to bring down high HP enemies. I bested the Swine Prince thanks to him dying from losing 4 HP to bleed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rascyc posted:

Man the Bounty Hunter is pretty cool. I never used him before because I thought his kit looked like it was trying to do too much and I don't care much for the "mark" system, but a 100% damage modifier on hitting marked targets is pretty loving solid. I don't even pull things with him although it is handy maybe once a dungeon for where I am at. I just obliterate things that the Occultist marks up. Too bad I can't get the Occultist to go first in my turn order ever.

SPD Stat!!!!!

Occultist gets a camp skill that raises his SPD stat by 5 which can help a lot with this.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is there a list of quests and bosses floating around somewhere? The wiki is still bare, as is the main site.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rascyc posted:

Man the Bounty Hunter is pretty cool. I never used him before because I thought his kit looked like it was trying to do too much and I don't care much for the "mark" system, but a 100% damage modifier on hitting marked targets is pretty loving solid. I don't even pull things with him although it is handy maybe once a dungeon for where I am at. I just obliterate things that the Occultist marks up. Too bad I can't get the Occultist to go first in my turn order ever.

SPD Stat!!!!!

Use the Occultist's camp skill to add +5 spd to himself.

e: f;b, but seriously, that and the +damage to a party member are the only camp skills he needs. Occultists and Bounty Hunters are BFFs, especially if the BH also has his camp buffs for increased accuracy and damage.

I'd like to see more cross class synergy mechanics, really. Some classes are really good with more of themselves, like Graverobber teams, but I'd like to skills that capitalize more on what other skills can do.

Like give a class a "Hemorrhage" ability that immediately explodes all the bleed DoTs on a target for bonus damage, or "Convulsions" to turn a Blight DoT into a stun and debuff.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 11, 2015

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Abusing stun in this game is super easy. I just ran two dungeons in a row with a Vestal with Dazzling Light, a Plague Doctor with Blinding Gas, a Bounty Hunter with Flashbang, and a Hellion with YAWP. Hellion keeps the front two locked, Plague doctor keeps the back two locked, use the Vestal to heal up while everything is stunned or use Dazzling light a few times to negate the need for torches, and Flashbang for when the turn order changes or monsters shift. Only the Hellion broke once and that was because of a surprise shifting the order. Otherwise, as long as the Vestal has single person healing and the Hellion has Adrenaline Rush, they basically never stress out or really take damage.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The Terror and Madness trailer showed a map with twisting corridors. Can we expect to see that in the future or was that phased out? That trailer also seems to have an older Crusader and a male Vestal.

http://youtu.be/rHaUrSJdjIc

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 11, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
RIP my Vestal + 3 Hellion team, as Breakthru just got a huge nerf. Every time you use it, you get a debuff of -20% damage, -15 dodge. It just took me half a dungeon to figure out that it was nerfed; I thought the debuff was something to do with the level 5 mission I was on.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I agree that darkest dungeon isn't a roguelike or light. I also agree that it isn't like xcom. Its a board game that borrows from Arkham horror and Talisman, and has town mechanics from Rogue Knight. A computer board game, but a board game all the same.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Similarly, stacking bleeds is one of the best ways to bring down high HP enemies. I bested the Swine Prince thanks to him dying from losing 4 HP to bleed.

I beat the poo poo out of the Swine Prince with two Hellions just spamming If It Bleeds over and over again. He was up to 24 bleed damage/turn.

This game is pretty cool. I don't get the difficulty complaints though, this is nothing compared to Dark Souls or XCom. My B team got wiped after focusing Wilbur but aside from that I haven't had much of an issue. My A team still has the starting Crusader/Highwayman and Vestal I picked up at the start of the game.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

BJPaskoff posted:

RIP my Vestal + 3 Hellion team, as Breakthru just got a huge nerf. Every time you use it, you get a debuff of -20% damage, -15 dodge. It just took me half a dungeon to figure out that it was nerfed; I thought the debuff was something to do with the level 5 mission I was on.
You sure that's not the debuff from barbaric yawp?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

misguided rage posted:

You sure that's not the debuff from barbaric yawp?

E: Not related to what I quoted.

Bye bye StunLock.

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/565569175620702208

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I really like the fact that there isn't a built in lose state. You decide your own risk/reward goals on a mission by mission basis, and have the freedom to dick around and experiment if you're not ready to push ahead aggressively yet.

Right now I have 5 characters I've carefully managed to level up and all the best upgrades go to them first, and I don't try the harder missions with them without some planning. As for all the other guys currently on the roster, MORE GRISTLE FOR THE MACHINE

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I guess damage will remain king. I'm guessing that laying a stun applies as buff to the target to resist future stuns?

I hope their "hero tuning" includes buffing the Plague Doctor.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Oh nice I wasn't expecting an update so soon. Can someone post the patch notes?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MacheteZombie posted:

Bye bye StunLock.

There goes my entire early game strategy :saddowns:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jackard posted:

Oh nice I wasn't expecting an update so soon. Can someone post the patch notes?

I'm waiting for the patch notes to come out, but someone on Steam tested the new stun mechanics and it applies a 20% stun buff that lasts 1 turn on stunned enemies. The numbers could change depending on mob type though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How does camping work, exactly? Can you decide to camp whenever or is it like eating where there's a random time-window when everyone goes "Hey we're tired let's camp"?

Edit: What was the stun lock exploit?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Okay. Something you can still reasonably overcome with trinkets if it's a big deal for you.

Fhqwhgads posted:

How does camping work, exactly? Can you decide to camp whenever or is it like eating where there's a random time-window when everyone goes "Hey we're tired let's camp"?

If a mission is long enough to have camping, firewood is placed in your inventory. Right click the wood when you are in a room to start camping.

stun lock exploit was just hammering a dude with stuns so he couldn't do anything ever while you buffed/healed to full/killed his friends.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

There goes my entire early game strategy :saddowns:
And his screams will echo amongst the pitiless cyclopean stones

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

You can camp in any room of a dungeon. Depending on your team build you may want to camp first thing, or a couple rooms into the dungeon so you can apply buffs that last the whole dungeon. This is especially true if you are doing a dungeon with 2 camp logs.

The stun lock exploit was just the fact that you could indefinitely stun (RNG Gods be willing) the same target because there was no penalty for repetitive stuns.

Edit: Does anyone here post on the DD official forums? I'm debating whipping up a post about quality of life suggestions, but I haven't spent much time in the forum to know what topics are covered already.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I really like the fact that there isn't a built in lose state. You decide your own risk/reward goals on a mission by mission basis, and have the freedom to dick around and experiment if you're not ready to push ahead aggressively yet.

Right now I have 5 characters I've carefully managed to level up and all the best upgrades go to them first, and I don't try the harder missions with them without some planning. As for all the other guys currently on the roster, MORE GRISTLE FOR THE MACHINE

yeah the best part about this is once you upgrade your caravan to have 4 guys constantly available, you can be sure you will be able to at least bounce back if all your guys perish. it sucks losing high level guys but I can't complain when the game balances it out with you keeping all your town upgrades forever and being able to train new guys constantly, perfect difficulty

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Btw did anyone hear if you can increase the maximum roster by editing the files? Twenty is too low for me, might have to start another campaign.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jackard posted:

Btw did anyone hear if you can increase the maximum roster by editing the files? Twenty is too low for me, might have to start another campaign.

Yeah, if the Feedback forum weren't a giant shitfest I'd have made a post about that. Especially once they add four more classes twenty is going to be painfully small.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, if the Feedback forum weren't a giant shitfest I'd have made a post about that. Especially once they add four more classes twenty is going to be painfully small.

twenty feels just right, you can have like 5 teams rotating from that. I feel like a much bigger roster size would make it too easy to just keep holding on to virtually every character you see. part of the fun now is trying to decide whether to cut certain psychos who drain your sanitarium and abbey monies, and replace them with potentially better dudes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

twenty feels just right, you can have like 5 teams rotating from that. I feel like a much bigger roster size would make it too easy to just keep holding on to virtually every character you see. part of the fun now is trying to decide whether to cut certain psychos who drain your sanitarium and abbey monies, and replace them with potentially better dudes.

Twenty feels right for right now, but as the selection in heroes expands I can see why some people would like bigger rosters. Isn't the expected hero selection supposed to be like 20 different heroes by the end as well?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Twenty feels right for right now, but as the selection in heroes expands I can see why some people would like bigger rosters. Isn't the expected hero selection supposed to be like 20 different heroes by the end as well?

if the selection does become that big then yeah the roster would def need to have options to upgrade it further, I had no idea they were going to make THAT many classes. lucky that this can be still patched as the classes do increase so it seems like we have our answer, because I can't see a situation wherein we're only allowed "1 of each."

I don't roll the party heal yet with Vestel so I guess I'm stupid? Neither of mine have it and I feel dumb using the single heal when I think everyone uses party heal. I guess I should buy the skill upgrade to get it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

15, so if you want more than one of each you need at least a roster max of 30, and there can be enough variety between builds that having multiples of a class is something you want. Even now you have to be a bit picky about what you double up, and the general necessity of vestals and occultists for healing makes having multiples of them at different ranks kind of a given, meaning you have less to play with for the other guys unless you want to be considerably more aggressive in your tactics.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.
Massive plague doctor buffs; their blight damage now starts at 3dmg/turn and ends at 5dmg/turn. Battlefield medicine has a heal attached to it now (2-3 at level 4). Also grave robbers get a +acc buff with thrown dagger and poison dart.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

:bubblewoop:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Teslavi posted:

Massive plague doctor buffs; their blight damage now starts at 3dmg/turn and ends at 5dmg/turn. Battlefield medicine has a heal attached to it now (2-3 at level 4). Also grave robbers get a +acc buff with thrown dagger and poison dart.

Find patch notes somewhere? Or just playing and noticed the changes?

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

MacheteZombie posted:

Find patch notes somewhere? Or just playing and noticed the changes?

Been checking the files, I also have a rank 3 plague doc to verify those.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Teslavi posted:

Good news everyone! :)

Nice. I was gonna run a diff on the files after work, but you beat me to it. Glad the Plague Doctor is getting some love.

+20% stun resist after being stunned seems perfectly balanced to me, that's not even proper diminishing returns, just a slight penalty to repeat stun, which makes perfect sense.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah, once there are fourteen classes that's only six spares.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Sweet. I was looking to figure out a place for the plague doctor in one of my teams. This makes it a lot easier.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=262060 posted:

This is the first patch to have some focused gameplay changes, but it will not be the last! Remember that the game is in Early Access, and we'll be experimenting with mechanics and balance for the foreseeable future. Strap in and come along for the ride!

These changes are based upon consistent feedback and observed results from the game's first week and a half of play:
Champion (L5) Monsters: increased difficulty across the board.
Grave Robber needed a little somethin': increased Speed, added stacking Accuracy buffs for Thrown Dagger and Poison Dart
Hellion is an absolute wrecking machine. This is intentional, but she still needed dialed down a tiny bit: Reduced starting HP, restricted Iron Swan to position 1 only, added Exhaust to Breakthru and slightly reduced crit, but increased dmg buff of Bleed Out
Plague Doctor: Increased Blight and Disease Resistance, increased Blight damage of Noxious Blast and Plague Grenade, Added a small heal to Battlefield Medicine. Now she's the hero we deserve, not just the hero we need.
Ghoul, Swinetaur, Unclean Giant: increased HP to make them even a little more menacing.
Gargoyles: increased dodge, reduced dmg, increased crit. Focus up your Accuracy to hit these beasts!
Bone Arbalist: reduced Bayonet Jab crit. Should be less threatening at the front.
Heroes don't like it when you prolong combat unnecessarily
Added 'Clear Head' moderate Stun Resistance buff to heroes and monsters after clearing an existing stun. Stacks for consecutive stuns.
No heroes are truly immortal
Other fixes and changes:
Fixed crash at end of dungeon raid caused by incompatible quirks
Added threshold for health bar display based on actor scale
Improved backup save file handling
Fixed purge result announcement

I worry about the Iron Swan change, and am curious what "No heroes are truly immortal" is referring to.

E: I'm guessing the no immortality thing means they increased the chances death blows land on heroes.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 11, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Since most fights aren't very long, I imagine it'll work fine.

"No heroes are truly immortal" means that Deathblow immunity is probably out. It most likely has a hard cap.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 11, 2015

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Still no nerf for my favorite Hag/Pig Lord killing team: an Occultist and three Bounty Hunters. I think they both lasted until Round 3. The Bounty Hunters are super good at what they're supposed to do and that's prepping for a known target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That Plague Doctor Buff sounds pretty good.