Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Rockslide is better than The Thing in every way. He can't even explode! Except, wait, does The Thing have, uh, junk? First person to post a picture gets shot in the head. Anyway if I had the keys to the Marvel Toybox I'd write X-Dudes Featuring Lady Hawkguy Kicking Asses 'Round the World.

A-Force is a terrible title but it could be so good. Particularly if GWW actually makes use of all those characters on the cover. Oh and I could stand to have Time-Displaced O5 Jean Grey meet AU Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Diet Poison posted:

Rockslide is better than The Thing in every way. He can't even explode! Except, wait, does The Thing have, uh, junk? First person to post a picture gets shot in the head. Anyway if I had the keys to the Marvel Toybox I'd write X-Dudes Featuring Lady Hawkguy Kicking Asses 'Round the World.

A-Force is a terrible title but it could be so good. Particularly if GWW actually makes use of all those characters on the cover. Oh and I could stand to have Time-Displaced O5 Jean Grey meet AU Phoenix.

I kinda-sorta remember Thing saying he didn't have a ding-dong, in a roundabout way.

And yeah, the word "Force" has now officially been used way, way too many times in comic titles. Time to give it a rest. The comic itself sounds promising, although it will probably just be an LS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Diet Poison posted:

Except, wait, does The Thing have, uh, junk?

This terrible question has come up enough that I'm pretty sure it was bannable for a while.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Gynovore posted:

And yeah, the word "Force" has now officially been used way, way too many times in comic titles. Time to give it a rest.

Hey pal, don't knock it. Force works.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

Rockslide is better than The Thing in every way. He can't even explode! Except, wait, does The Thing have, uh, junk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vJpAXf5wyk

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Metalshark posted:

It turns out I really like teenage superhero drama

I know this is a few pages back, but read Runaways at least until Vaughan stops writing it.

Actually, only read it until Vaughan stops writing it.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Dacap posted:

G Willow Wilson is writing an all female Avengers book called A-Force with Jorge M opinion art

Where's Izzy? :ohdear:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Lurdiak posted:

This terrible question has come up enough that I'm pretty sure it was bannable for a while.
Reeeally wasn't asking for serious. Just that Rockslide's repeated references to his own situation crack me up. Still, though,
Thanks for that. I have somehow never seen that movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

Reeeally wasn't asking for serious. Just that Rockslide's repeated references to his own situation crack me up. Still, though,

Thanks for that. I have somehow never seen that movie.

It's not a very good movie.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Buddington posted:

I know this is a few pages back, but read Runaways at least until Vaughan stops writing it.

I didn't hate Whedon's run, but I think I'm in the minority.

First Bass posted:

Where's Izzy? :ohdear:

Or anyone from Power Pack?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'd like to see Finesse in there. The team name's okay for me.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Buddington posted:

I read Runaways up to the end of Whedon's 6 issues and stopped (I thought Whedon's stuff was interesting and didn't hate it but was fine at it being 6 issues only) beyond reading their Civil War and Secret Invasion tie-ins when I read those events and their appearance in Avengers Academy when I read that, which I thought was pretty cool - Christos Gage seemed to get them in his two issues writing them. Runaways was one of the first series I read, though I have no intentions of reading the 3rd volume. Even though the siren song of more Runaways is tempting I know better! (He says, having read Avengers Arena... X-23 is my 2nd favourite Marvel character after Captain Marvel and I'm a sucker for Arcade.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For some reason I wasn't expecting the first issue of Howard the Duck to be up in the Guardians. It's obvious cause of the movie, but I was looking forward to jumping right into a P.I. comic (especially with the loss of the other wonderful super-day-job series, She-Hulk.) I am just judging from two pages, but it's dropped my interest a bit.
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/first-look-howard-the-duck-1/1100-151246/

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'll give Zdarsky a shot with just about anything at this point.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
As someone who is just getting into Marvel through unlimited, I must ask:

Is Daken ever not the lamest and laziest character? I had vague knowledge of him (Through Marvel pinball of all things), but I just read the "Franken-Castle" punisher arc and he just seemed lame as hell.

I surprisingly liked that Punisher story, including the Dark Reign bit before the transformation, even if it was the first Punisher comics I've read. (Not counting a couple issues of Punisher 2099 I read as a child for some unknown reason)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He's very lame and a terrible character to read about. In the best of cases he reads like a fanfic self-insert since he outsmarts literally everyone around him all the time, and also goes around raping people. The rest of the time he's just a very lame and uninteresting villain with no real motivation besides being evil. Fret not, he eventually dies. I think he's already back, but as far as I'm concerned, he's still a corpse.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Metalshark posted:

^ I really did enjoy that film. The Dr. Strange animated movie was solid, and the Black Widow/Punisher one was ok if you ignored the plot, but compared to the Batman animated films (I'm not huge on the Justice League films) or Assault on Arkham, Marvel's animated/CG movies don't come close. After I polish off Ultimate Spider-man I am doing a full Batman: TAS + Batman Beyond watch before going onto the 90 Spider-Man cartoon.

The heroes united stuff is pure unadulterated garbage. I cringed the entire way through the cap/ironman one and have abstained from the other one.

Lurdiak posted:

He's very lame and a terrible character to read about. In the best of cases he reads like a fanfic self-insert since he outsmarts literally everyone around him all the time, and also goes around raping people. The rest of the time he's just a very lame and uninteresting villain with no real motivation besides being evil. Fret not, he eventually dies. I think he's already back, but as far as I'm concerned, he's still a corpse.

Daken sucks, I'm glad he's dead in your headcanon.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Daken sucks, I'm glad he's dead in your headcanon.

Remender had written the perfect ending for Daken when Wolverine drowned him in a puddle, but then he decided it'd be cool to bring him back, which is one of the many reasons why Uncanny Avengers actually kinda sucks.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think Uncanny Avengers, having completed, needs the 'kinda' prefacing the 'sucks'.

Also he brought Daken back from death that first time as well, didn't he? Dude must really love Daken.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't think Uncanny Avengers, having completed, needs the 'kinda' prefacing the 'sucks'.

Also he brought Daken back from death that first time as well, didn't he? Dude must really love Daken.

Someone out there loves Carnage too. They are also wrong.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'll take 10 Carnages over a single Daken.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhymenoserous posted:

Carnage USA is much better than it has any right to be. Carnage rules!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah! Let's get 90s up in this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gevm2wPbC6Y&t=30s

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Maximum Carnage game owned. Would have owned more with coop

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Lurdiak posted:

He's very lame and a terrible character to read about. In the best of cases he reads like a fanfic self-insert since he outsmarts literally everyone around him all the time, and also goes around raping people.

I can't find the tweet where he stated it, but Daniel Way admitted he literally named Daken after himself, Daniel Kenneth Way.

Awful.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Daken having his own ongoing was the weirdest loving thing because he's a completely irredeemable sociopath with no positive qualities what so ever

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Another thing I noticed while digging into Marvel Unlimited:

Apparently Truth: Red White and Black is seriously misfiled in the system. The series link only contains 3 issues, I think most of them have corrupted meta-data, publication dates, etc but are up there. I only found all the issues by searching the author.

There is something funny and ironic about that.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 11, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Picked up All New Ghost Rider today because of it being the last two issues before it gets cancelled. The last pages were just a very slow build-up to absolute horror. It also made me realize the writing is strongest when it focuses on Robbie and Gabe's relationship and family life, as opposed to constant action which is where the art needs to pick up (and unfortunately didn't in the second arc, in my opinion.)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what's the general take on Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel? Always liked Captain Marvel due to Jennifer Hale voicing her in Avengers EMH and just the character in general. Had a chance to read the Christmas and really enjoyed it even with not knowing too much of what was going on overall in the story (who is the women in the hospital). Art was very lovely too.

Ms. Marvel seems interesting too even if she's one of "those people" resident of New Jersey.

I also figured with a young daughter it's always nice to give her access to nice female role models.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Ms. Marvel is wonderful, Captain Marvel is mediocre except for the character moments.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

gfanikf posted:

Always liked Captain Marvel due to Jennifer Hale voicing her

Ha ha.

Ms Marvel is a very interesting character so far, and a great book. Captain Marvel is very boring and hasn't had a good book, ever, to my knowledge, despite the potential of the character.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

gfanikf posted:

So what's the general take on Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel? Always liked Captain Marvel due to Jennifer Hale voicing her in Avengers EMH and just the character in general. Had a chance to read the Christmas and really enjoyed it even with not knowing too much of what was going on overall in the story (who is the women in the hospital). Art was very lovely too.

Ms. Marvel seems interesting too even if she's one of "those people" resident of New Jersey.

I also figured with a young daughter it's always nice to give her access to nice female role models.

The lady in hospital is Tracy Burke, who worked with Carol at Women magazine in her original series. She appears in the current run as a supporting character and busts Carol's chops frequently.

I'm a big fan of Ms. Marvel of course, but I also really like the two Carol Danvers Captain Marvel volumes, though the second ongoing one is much stronger in my opinion. The first volume has a time travel plot to 'reclaim' her origin for the first 6 issues, which can be a bit offputting (though it has some cool scenes it gets a bit convoluted), as can be the frequent artist changes in the first volume (I loved Felipe Andrade's Rocket Raccoon issue that came out recently, but am not a fan of his art style for Captain Marvel). The general feeling here is that the plots aren't as good as the characterisation of Carol and her supporting cast, though I think that the two-issue arcs have overcome this and I enjoyed the opening of volume 2 (see below). This week's issue is the first part of a 2 issue collaboration between Warren Ellis and Kelly Sue DeConnick, which worked fantastically when they ended the Avengers Assemble series.

The 2nd volume opens with a 6 issue story that involves Carol not being able to simply save the day with punching (contains mild intergalactic politics!), and then the issues that follow are shorter 2-issue stories that are a lot of fun. David Lopez is doing a great job on art, and we've had a story revolving around her cat, Chewie, as well as a rock opera issue that was largely written in rhyme in addition to the Christmas Carol (ho ho ho) two-parter you read.

If you do want to check out the first volume, issues #7 & 8 are Carol teaming up with Monica Rambeau, who is a bit miffed that Carol took the name and it involves sharks and a giant robot. She also later punches Dinosaurs, which may appeal to you and/or your daughter.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Daken's shown up in Wolverines/Death Of Logan/Logan Legacy/Please Buy Our Marketing Tie In, and he has actual character traits that aren't "rear end in a top hat" now.
Not that having a sudden decision to try and be an honorable samurai is the best direction but a puddle is less shallow then a desert I guess?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

KaosMachina posted:

Daken's shown up in Wolverines/Death Of Logan/Logan Legacy/Please Buy Our Marketing Tie In, and he has actual character traits that aren't "rear end in a top hat" now.
Not that having a sudden decision to try and be an honorable samurai is the best direction but a puddle is less shallow then a desert I guess?

Yeah at least Sabretooth has Inversion as an excuse for why he's a good guy.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah at least Sabretooth has Inversion as an excuse for why he's a good guy.

If I recall the initial premise of Daken was that he was raised by Romulus to be a bad guy and wasn't actually evil. More specifically he had just been told what a terrible guy his dad was and had been turned against Logan from an early age. So they sort of setup that Daken once he learned about the truth was going to become a good guy; then he just turned on Logan again and decided to start loving with Logan because I guess they needed a new Sabertooth having killed the other one around this time. Anyway, there was a natural arc to make Daken a decent person and they ended up not going that route because Bendis needed an evil Wolverine for Dark Reign or something; I dunno. He's a character that's been pulled in so many different directions that it's almost impossible to actually pin him down as anything concrete. In one story he's a mastermind who runs a criminal empire, in another he's a a petulant child who wants to get back at his dad, in another he's outwitting the FF and blowing himself up, and in yet another he's reformed the Brotherhood with the task of making Wolverine's life miserable. He's been written incredibly inconsistently since his inception, combined with his awful character concept makes him pretty dislike.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Metalshark posted:

I really am fortunate to have gotten into Marvel stuff with someone who has similar tastes and also is just really good to talk to about them. He gave me a small list to get an intro and since then I've been following my favourite characters and trying out series that sounded cool. It turns out I really like teenage superhero drama, which was a surprise to me. I now intend to start tackling Avengers, X-Men and, eventually, Spider-Man in earnest rather than dipping into them. I'm game for Hickman, beyond the crossovers I haven't read anything huge since Annihilation to Annihilators, and Secret Warriors was ace. I'm intending to pepper in shorter series as necessary, but with all the TV shows coming out I have some good incentive to read the relevant stuff.

It's a relief that I'm not into DC as well, beyond reading Gail Simone's Batgirl and pre-New 52 Blue Beetle, though.

If you're gonna do X-Men and like swears, check out Wolverine: The Best There Is. And it only clocks in at 12 issues, with a fully satisfying story. The guy behind is good, Chuck Huston, and has done other great Marvel stuff, like Moon Knight. Also, read Moon Knight.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PaybackJack posted:

If I recall the initial premise of Daken was that he was raised by Romulus to be a bad guy and wasn't actually evil. More specifically he had just been told what a terrible guy his dad was and had been turned against Logan from an early age. So they sort of setup that Daken once he learned about the truth was going to become a good guy; then he just turned on Logan again and decided to start loving with Logan because I guess they needed a new Sabertooth having killed the other one around this time. Anyway, there was a natural arc to make Daken a decent person and they ended up not going that route because Bendis needed an evil Wolverine for Dark Reign or something; I dunno. He's a character that's been pulled in so many different directions that it's almost impossible to actually pin him down as anything concrete. In one story he's a mastermind who runs a criminal empire, in another he's a a petulant child who wants to get back at his dad, in another he's outwitting the FF and blowing himself up, and in yet another he's reformed the Brotherhood with the task of making Wolverine's life miserable. He's been written incredibly inconsistently since his inception, combined with his awful character concept makes him pretty dislike.

Didn't they do a what if where Logan raised him and he still turned out a douchebag?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't they do a what if where Logan raised him and he still turned out a douchebag?

And what a boring What If it was.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The nice thing about What Ifs is that they could have written it that he became the next Captain America after being raised by Logan it would be just as valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Metalshark posted:

I read Runaways up to the end of Whedon's 6 issues and stopped (I thought Whedon's stuff was interesting and didn't hate it but was fine at it being 6 issues only) beyond reading their Civil War and Secret Invasion tie-ins when I read those events and their appearance in Avengers Academy when I read that, which I thought was pretty cool - Christos Gage seemed to get them in his two issues writing them. Runaways was one of the first series I read, though I have no intentions of reading the 3rd volume. Even though the siren song of more Runaways is tempting I know better! (He says, having read Avengers Arena... X-23 is my 2nd favourite Marvel character after Captain Marvel and I'm a sucker for Arcade.)

If you want the pure teen drama, then head over to Mary Jane Loves Spiderman. All of the iterations were so good.

• Locked thread