Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Great episode, but for me the standout moment is that stare Raylan gives Markum when he's starting to lose his cool over Given's dickery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

A+ episode, so great to see Dickie and Loretta again, Avery Markham is frightening, and the Busey guest spot was hilarious.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Dickie Bennett belatedly realizing he has once again hosed himself over will never not be funny.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

oshuaj posted:

Avery Markham is frightening...

I don't think it was coincidence in the scene where he's staring down Raylan Clooney-style that his eyebrows look 'horn-like.'

But I think the biggest 'heavy' this season is going to be Steenburgen - she just hasn't had a chance to make her move yet.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Armyman25 posted:

Dickie Bennett belatedly realizing he has once again hosed himself over will never not be funny.

Any scene with Dickie in it will never not be funny.

This crazy rear end kind-of-sort-of reunion tour with all the greatest hit (as well as an actually compelling plot) is just maddeningly good television.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Poor Wynn Duffy. People always exploding blood in his face.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 11, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why did the cellphone going off do that anyway? Some sort of EM interference?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Can I just say that Ava's one scene a few episodes back where she shows Raylan the ledger and he tells her to put it back was more entertaining than the entirety of her Season 5 plot?

Ava and Boyd were definitely the biggest victims of the Season 5 slump. Glad to see both of them bouncing back.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sam Elliott sans moustache is loving scary.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Starting to understand why he went without it. Without it, he can play the heavy bad guy and be intimidating. With it, all I would see is

the Queen in her durned undies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

withak posted:

Sam Elliott sans moustache is loving scary.

He's got a turtle mouth. Needs that mustache.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fetus Tree posted:

I'm pretty sure, yeah. The detonator got confused by the cell signal. Not sure why that would screw with it any more when it was ringing than not, since cell phones are constantly in communication with cell towers, but it works well enough for me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

He's got a turtle mouth. Needs that mustache.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Fetus Tree posted:

He was using a radio detonator that operated on a similar frequency as a cell radio?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

howe_sam posted:

He was using a radio detonator that operated on a similar frequency as a cell radio?

I dunno, was he?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Obviously.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Before The Wiz got toasted, the cel phone rang then there was a zzzzzt then KABLOOOIE. Some sort of static from the ringer or vibration thing in the phone maybe? Either way, it was about as funny as seeing a guy get blown in to itty bitty pieces could be :stonklol:

Mary Steenburgen and Sam Elliot are absolutely killing it as heavies this season.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Holy poo poo, Sam Elliot! The last time I saw someone play such a menacing Satan was Peter Stormrare in Constantine.

And holy poo poo, Mary Steenburgen. 62 and looking just fine. And drat if shes not scary as balls.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wiz was played exactly like a GTA character and I loved every second of it.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

howe_sam posted:

I guess, was Boyd's reason to take those guys cell phones when they robbed the mine that time with the guy, who was pretending to be the other guy?Shellby?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ally_1986 posted:

I guess, was Boyd's reason to take those guys cell phones when they robbed the mine that time with the guy, who was pretending to be the other guy?Shellby?

Well no, his reason was a con. He had used a safe detonator; the supposed danger was just a ploy, he'd never leave something like that to chance. That's what makes him different from The Wiz: Boyd might not know every experimental compound in the goddamn world, but he knows how to handle explosives better than some arrogant burnout.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Dickie once again failing to get something in return for giving information is just another thing I love about this show.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

For a VERY different looking Raylan - you gotta see the Olyphant interview on Conan from a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IdgJOr1HSY

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Wiz blowing up cutting straight to Dickie Bennett's 'What up bitches?'. I love you, Justified.

I don't know if it's too dark for Justified, but I can see Loretta's murder finally being the thing that makes Raylan realise he needs to be there with his daughter (and kicking off one last round of bloody vengeance of course). Either way, the big bads are being made out to be pretty loving evil and with the way the season has gone so far, I'm now betting on the finale being another Raylan Boyd teamup of some sort, rather than a full on confrontation.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I loved all the build for the Wiz character making you think it was all leading up to some ocean's eleven style bank vault heist bullshit eventually and then BOOM he's gone. Ridiculous and so drat funny.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm lost. The reason Dillahunt and Sam Elliott are wanting the land is to provide space for a massive, hopefully-legal grow operation?

Yep. They're going to use the land to grow weed, and keep the money from the operation in the vault at the pizza place.

Since marijuana is still illegal under federal law, despite being legal in certain states, major federally-chartered and insured banks won't allow state-legal weed vendors to deposit their money since it is technically earned in violation of federal law (despite not being prosecuted by the Justice Department).

It's a huge problem in Colorado.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My brother is the CFO of a company in Colorado who's main revenue stream is renting space to grow ops.

If Boyd were looking for a good heist, they'd be it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I loved all the build for the Wiz character making you think it was all leading up to some ocean's eleven style bank vault heist bullshit eventually and then BOOM he's gone. Ridiculous and so drat funny.

I didn't quite catch what happened, was it his own phone ringing that triggered the explosion?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Either that or when he took the phones away from Wynn & Boyd he never turned them off and just put them in his pocket.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I assume that one of the two had another phone that they didn't bother telling him about. Whoops.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
No, he just forgot his own phone in his pocket because he was a moron.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

misguided rage posted:

I assume that one of the two had another phone that they didn't bother telling him about. Whoops.

Thats what i got out of it too

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

Thats what i got out of it too

He reaches into his own pocket to shut off his phone, he blew himself up through carelessness.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Armyman25 posted:

He reaches into his own pocket to shut off his phone, he blew himself up through carelessness.

Oh right. It rings and then he says " i thought i told you [assholes] to give me your phones" and then it ended up being his.

tbh, i mainly remembered only that line and then an explosion but that makes more sense now

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Schiavona posted:

Yep. They're going to use the land to grow weed, and keep the money from the operation in the vault at the pizza place.

Since marijuana is still illegal under federal law, despite being legal in certain states, major federally-chartered and insured banks won't allow state-legal weed vendors to deposit their money since it is technically earned in violation of federal law (despite not being prosecuted by the Justice Department).

It's a huge problem in Colorado.

Are there a lot of heists going down in Colorado? Got an idea for a bachelor party.

ally_1986 posted:

They've gotten better over the years, but cell phones can still affect radios and electronic equipment. Occasionally you can hear interference in podcasts when they receive a text while they're recording.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 13, 2015

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Wait... the show posits Kentucky is going to legalize within 5 years, and Harlan is the only place in Kentucky where weed will grow real good?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Not the only place, but the place where the conditions are right that Avery can buy up tons of real estate on the cheap due to it being a loving shithole. Also, we only know the one part of his idea so far, he could very likely have, as Boyd posits, the votes in his pocket already to get legalized weed done when his time is right.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The weed plan seems like kind of a red herring because buying the land isn't the best play. Markham would be much better off offering these people the same amount of money for a long term farming lease on the land. Even if the owners are already farming it, broke rear end Harlanites would eat that money up and get to keep their heritage land. Less risk doing that. You aren't breaking any laws, don't have to kill people. Once weed is legal and the land owners claim they were tricked, welp a deal's a deal.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
"You mean, you're gonna pay me to farm weed on my OWN land because farming weed is gonna be legal soon? Well gently caress you, son. Best you get down the road because we don't take kindly to outsiders in these parts but thanks for the hot tip."

Yeah...I kinda see the reasoning in Markham's plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Also bear in mind that the criminals in Justified are generally dumb; they get by for a while through a capacity for violence (arranged, implied, or self-executed), along with varying combinations of specialization and luck. While the masterminds are smart and at times ruthless, they've always got weaknesses, typically in the form of love interests or less capable underlings. Sometimes their plans are thorough and intimidating, but time tends to catch up with them. Even Theo Tonin gets bagged.

Some last even longer due to above-average intellect and survival instincts, like Boyd or Duffy. And others keep their heads low, like Limehouse. But Boyd and Duffy are still looking for a big score, and Limehouse controls just enough to keep him and his people content.

Markham's plan is subversive and long-reaching, but flaws have already been called out. That doesn't mean he's not a credible threat. He's just the latest one of note.

isk fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 13, 2015

• Locked thread