Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tired Moritz posted:

I can't wait to see the waifus!
The term is "fiends". One of them hides behind a red capote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SelenicMartian posted:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

The Genesis is a pretty boring song out of context but it's a song composed for a video game.

It works perfectly in the moment. Hearing that little hope spot did an amazing job driving me on through the fight, got me pumped, made the fight more memorable. It did its job. Battle for Everyone's Souls is a cool song, but it didn't really add anything to the fight that the strega boss theme or whatever didn't add to their fights, there wasn't much character. The Genesis was a legitimately memorable moment, Battle for Everyone's Songs was just a good song.
I'm no talking about things in a vacuum here though. Even in-game the pacing just felt off. It's probably a problem segregating the gameplay/difficulty from the soundtrack and th emotions it's supposed to bring up, cause Izanami doesn't feel as threatening as the music hypes her up to be, at least until your party members start getting offed.
Maybe you're right that Battle for Everyone's Souls didn't have any particular significance attached to Nyx, but even 20 minutes into the fight I never felt like going "Ugh, this song's still going?" because I still felt like I was actively doing something.
So uh yeah, I think ultimately I'm just bitching about the difficulty curve. Which probably doesn't mean much if you're the type to grind and trivialize both of these fights.

Also, I'd assume the Bravely Default music probables needs context too. I doubt Battle for Everyone's Souls and The Genesis would be nearly as interesting if you hadn't been listening to Poem for Everyone's Souls and Reach Out to the Truth the whole game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SelenicMartian posted:

One of them's a real harlot. I bet she's fun to be around.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The problem with The Genesis is that it got to the good part and then looped back to the start before I was finished.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The problem with The Genesis is that it's not as good as Fog. Like, you get this insanely sick-rear end music and then suddenly it's back to some generic stuff.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Endorph posted:

also i m gonna be honest that bravely default song just sounds like guitars aimlessly wanking off for 6 minutes and every now and then a piano goes 'doot doot doot'

welcome to JRPG theme music

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HGH posted:

Also, I'd assume the Bravely Default music probables needs context too. I doubt Battle for Everyone's Souls and The Genesis would be nearly as interesting if you hadn't been listening to Poem for Everyone's Souls and Reach Out to the Truth the whole game.

The context is huge, yeah, I perhaps didn't realize how big that was. You've been hearing the overworld theme for literally the entire game, with the character themes kicking in whenever you use a special move (which goes from 'every so often' to 'a lot' once your strategy crystallizes), so they're all really ingrained in you. Those themes coming in is actually relevant to when they're playing in the fight, too: The overworld theme gets introduced when Ouroboros changes strategies from fighting you to attacking the worlds you're defending, so it's reflecting that. The character themes only come in during the final phase, which is entirely focused around alternate-universe versions of your party lending you a hand (long story), so that's got story reason as well as triggering the 'this is rear end-kicking time now' response that the game's trained into you.

I think if there's anything Serpent definitely has over Genesis, it's structure; it has those phases of the song come in only when they're relevant, while The Genesis just plays the entire six-minute epic, in full, on a loop. If the Izanami fight were compressed to exactly the length of The Genesis it would be a perfect fit to match your gradual victory, so if I were to add structure I'd do it like that. Have the third quarter of the fight be when I'll Fight Myself gets incorporated, add in Reach Out to the Truth for the final quarter (in fact, maybe have the entire last quarter of the fight be that part, don't even switch back to the rest), and then drop the music completely when she hits 0 HP and still doesn't die.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

When is it likely that we'll hear about SMTxFE? Maybe at e3 this year? Is there anything coming up before then?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

also i m gonna be honest that bravely default song just sounds like guitars aimlessly wanking off for 6 minutes and every now and then a piano goes 'doot doot doot'

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

Eh, it really needs context to shine, even more than The Genesis does. The first part is "guitars and choir going crazy," but then as the fight progresses, different parts of the music get added, and the overworld theme and all four character themes that you've come to know start to come in, and it's great. Without having played the game none of those melodies are familiar so I can see how it wouldn't really make much sense.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As far as I'm concerned Wicked Flight is the real final boss music in BD.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meet Arsene.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Meet Arsene.

Interesting semi-avian design. I'm guessing our protagonist will use wind spells?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

the doots are good doots

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's one of the weaker tracks in BD though

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I keep seeing Yveltal from Pokemon.

That is a fine top hat, however.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

That's good.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Does the Persona have chains on it, or is it chained to the protagonist?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Blastin niggas with the power of lupin

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah. Yeah! Also I really hope that's Agi and they get even more rad from there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
P2 and P3 mc personae were also base fire, right?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Harlock posted:

Does the Persona have chains on it, or is it chained to the protagonist?

Looks like it's chained to his wrist. or he's holding the chain.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, that puts the "protagonists turn into personas" theory to bed. Looks awesome regardless.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ApplesandOranges posted:

I keep seeing Yveltal from Pokemon.

That is a fine top hat, however.

And an excellent jabot.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Meet Arsene.

that's me

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Thank you Atlus for making all of our dreams come true.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

Rinkles posted:

P2 and P3 mc personae were also base fire, right?

:goonsay: In EP, Maya's was water-type.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy drat that looks nice.

I wonder if that's an Agi spell or some really intense physical attack. Probably Agi, but you never know.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

I just beat this oval office today, which I suppose means I'm getting into the meat of Nocturne. What do I need to do to get the best ending (which I think I've heard is True Demon)? Keep it spoiler lite but I don't want to screw myself over. I still have Pixie (fused, but not sacrificed). Any big tips / stuff I shouldn't miss?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You just have to complete the Labryinth of Amala (which the first floor should have just opened up now that you beat Matador) before stepping foot into the final dungeon to get yourself the true demon ending.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

They're all lined up as opposed to in a circle, so I wonder if there's a boss hidden here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god this looks amazing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looking at that screenshot again: goddamn, look at the colors on Arsène's wings. That's beautiful.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Waffleman_ posted:

Meet Arsene.

It's Jehuty in a suit and wearing a top hat.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

they all have masks on, tha'ts dope. i hope we get to rob a bank or beat up ppolice

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Freak Futanari posted:

The problem with The Genesis is that it's not as good as Fog. Like, you get this insanely sick-rear end music and then suddenly it's back to some generic stuff.

:agreed:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Arsene has some kickin' gams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
The girl seems to use whips.