Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

vessbot posted:

He would obviously have to have something like our nervous system (oh yeah, and Y chromosome) if he has emotions, reactions, intentions, and speech acts like the ones produced by ours. But in "necessary" form instead of physical :rolleyes:

I am laughing at your robot brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Miltank posted:

Mankind being made in God's image is widely (if not universally) understood to refer to something like sentience or self perception.

It's so tiring to see you keep saying what the universal Christian position is while excluding that silly, fringe minority of y'know 1/3 of Americans who believe fervently otherwise.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Even they will tell you God doesn't have a human body with a nervous system and poo poo. It's basically only believed by Seth McFarland atheists.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Miltank posted:

I am laughing at your robot brain.

Where do you think my argument is flawed? Please be specific.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

vessbot posted:

Where do you think my argument is flawed? Please be specific.

It is the flaw of autism.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
So you're full of poo poo, understood.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Beliefs are beliefs. We do lovely things with them (or alternately they use us to do lovely things). Christianity has a hell of a a lot to say about this. Some of Jesus' metaphors seem to indicate a rather strong opinion about it too. There is also the whole cross thing,

Openly anti-theistic people still do the lovely things they blame on religion. Beliefs are beliefs. This is an appropriate thread to point that out in. An absence of religion doesn't remove the problem.

We are all brothers and sisters. Still the best response to the problem. But the reaction to people who genuinely live that, it hasn't changed either. The story of the life and death of Jesus and what he had to say still matters.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

vessbot posted:

He would obviously have to have something like our nervous system (oh yeah, and Y chromosome) if he has emotions, reactions, intentions, and speech acts like the ones produced by ours. But in "necessary" form instead of physical :rolleyes:

Thank you for being direct. That is an interpretation I just now heard the first time ever. I've never come across a church that teaches that the "created in the image of God" means anything like that. I have no doubt there might be individual people who think so but I've not ran into any of those either. I'm confused about why you are arguing as if that interpretation was shared by a significant portion of Christians.

For clarity, usually "image of God" has to do with stuff like sanctity of life, having a connection with God, being created for eternity and having a consciousness. It's not about what God is like but about the relationship between Man and the rest of the Creation.

edit for Wikipedia:

quote:

Interpretation

There have been many interpretations of the idea of God's image from ancient times until today, and Biblical scholars still have no consensus about the meaning of the term. The remainder of this article focuses on Christian interpretations of the term.

To assert that humans are created in the image of God may mean to recognize some special qualities of human nature which allow God to be made manifest in humans. For humans to have a conscious recognition of having been made in the image of God may mean that they are aware of being that part of the creation through whom God's plans and purposes best can be expressed and actualized; humans, in this way, can interact creatively with the rest of creation. The moral implications of the doctrine of Imago Dei are apparent in the fact that, if humans are to love God, then humans must love other humans whom God has created (cf. John 13:35), as each is an expression of God. The human likeness to God can also be understood by contrasting it with that which does not image God, i.e., beings who, as far as we know, are without this spiritual self-awareness and the capacity for spiritual / moral reflection and growth. We may say that humans differ from all other creatures because of the self-reflective, rational nature of their thought processes - their capacity for abstract, symbolic as well as concrete deliberation and decision-making. This capacity gives the human a centeredness and completeness which allows the possibility for self-actualization and participation in a sacred reality (cf. Acts 17:28). However, despite the fact that according to this concept the human is created in God's image, the Creator granted the first true humans a freedom to reject a relationship with the Creator that manifested itself in estrangement from God, as the narrative of the Fall (Adam and Eve) exemplifies, thereby rejecting or repressing their spiritual and moral likeness to God. The ability and desire to love one's self and others, and therefore God, can become neglected and even opposed. The desire to repair the Imago Dei in one's life can be seen as a quest for a wholeness, or one's "essential" self, as described and exemplified in Christ's life and teachings. According to Christian doctrine, Jesus acted to repair the relationship with the Creator and freely offers the resulting reconciliation as a gift.[4]

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 11, 2015

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Miltank posted:

Am I the only one who is getting really tired of seeing this get tossed around as a casual slur? The worst part about it isn't the insensitivity, but how it's used as an easy argument-ender. "What, you value inductive reasoning, spirituality or other intangibles less than I do? Clearly you have a broken brain and are simply incapable of understanding my deep wisdom."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Liberal_L33t posted:

Am I the only one who is getting really tired of seeing this get tossed around as a casual slur? The worst part about it isn't the insensitivity, but how it's used as an easy argument-ender. "What, you value inductive reasoning, spirituality or other intangibles less than I do? Clearly you have a broken brain and are simply incapable of understanding my deep wisdom."

Kinda like folks that preach faith, eh?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Valiantman posted:

Thank you for being direct. That is an interpretation I just now heard the first time ever. I've never come across a church that teaches that the "created in the image of God" means anything like that. I have no doubt there might be individual people who think so but I've not ran into any of those either. I'm confused about why you are arguing as if that interpretation was shared by a significant portion of Christians.

For clarity, usually "image of God" has to do with stuff like sanctity of life, having a connection with God, being created for eternity and having a consciousness. It's not about what God is like but about the relationship between Man and the rest of the Creation.

edit for Wikipedia:

I'm not saying that any church teaches that or any believer believes it. I'm saying that the belief logically entails it. Does it not?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

vessbot posted:

So you're full of poo poo, understood.

He is sooooo full of poo poo.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

vessbot posted:

I'm not saying that any church teaches that or any believer believes it. I'm saying that the belief logically entails it. Does it not?

If no one believes it, why argue against it (or use it as a part of your argument)?

That belief might appear logical for you but apparently that isn't the case for pretty much anyone else. You assumed it's a traditional Christian view but it really isn't.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Valiantman posted:

Can't ignore that it also has something to do with Jesus as archetype for humanity. You are right that It is about about humanity and the rest of creation, but It is definitely about what God is like. But not the Father. It's about the Son. Look at what you quoted , this part specifically: "The desire to repair the Imago Dei in one's life can be seen as a quest for a wholeness, or one's "essential" self, as described and exemplified in Christ's life and teachings."

It's about the essential nature of each of us, and it asserts that the example of Jesus is that essential nature. It's a really radical assertion.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

Can't ignore that it also has something to do with Jesus as archetype for humanity. You are right that It is about about humanity and the rest of creation, but It is definitely about what God is like. But not the Father. It's about the Son. Look at what you quoted , this part specifically: "The desire to repair the Imago Dei in one's life can be seen as a quest for a wholeness, or one's "essential" self, as described and exemplified in Christ's life and teachings."

It's about the essential nature of each of us, and it asserts that the example of Jesus is that essential nature. It's a really radical assertion.

Sure, I accept that part of it. For simplicity's sake I didn't go there since I felt it isn't relevant to my point.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There is assertion about a shared essential fundamental reality that is being taken by the other side to be an assertion of same material existence.

Eg.

vessbot posted:

Is God not supposed to be like a man? We were not "created in God's image?" He doesn't exhibit the properties of humans neurological make up like emotions, desires, planning, social communication, etc.?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Valiantman posted:

If no one believes it, why argue against it (or use it as a part of your argument)?

Because if it's false, and the Christian belief it's based on entails it, that belief is also false. Modus tollens.

quote:

That belief might appear logical for you but apparently that isn't the case for pretty much anyone else. You assumed it's a traditional Christian view but it really isn't.

I didn't assume it's a traditional Christian view. I virtually said exactly that in my last post. ("I'm not saying that any church teaches that or any believer believes it.")

For a rational discussion, that the entailment "might appear logical" or not, is of no consequence. But if one can demonstrate where the logic succeeds or fails, then we would have a sound argument.

Could I just say that global warming doesn't appear logical for me and leave it at that?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sure can do:

There are assertions about a shared essential fundamental reality that are being taken to be assertions solely about material existence.

No, they do not logically entail what you think they do.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

vessbot posted:

Because if it's false, and the Christian belief it's based on entails it, that belief is also false. Modus tollens.

I didn't assume it's a traditional Christian view. I virtually said exactly that in my last post. ("I'm not saying that any church teaches that or any believer believes it.")

For a rational discussion, that the entailment "might appear logical" or not, is of no consequence. But if one can demonstrate where the logic succeeds or fails, then we would have a sound argument.

Could I just say that global warming doesn't appear logical for me and leave it at that?
It's a stupid argument because it assumes that "like" God or "in his image" means "physically constructed in a similar way."

The religious belief is that God created man to be like him, by having some qualities that imitate the "essence" of God. A thinking system doesn't need to be constructed of cells with phospholipid membranes and DNA and all of the other ways that biological life on Earth exists. If you copy a music recording from wax cylinder, to vinyl record, to magnetic tape, to CD, to .mp3, you are reproducing the musical essence without an exact duplicate of the physical medium.

I'm an atheist and don't believe that God did any of those things, but it's both not what religious people believe, and not a logical necessity that God is a biological being made of carbon, with 46-48 chromosomes. Even if it was, the physical media that allow God to do what he does have no bearing on God's moral, intellectual, or spiritual nature, so it's doubly irrelevant. It's a strawman distraction, not even really an argument.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Brandor this is my routine reminder that you should learn to speak English. There are fundamental problems with the way that you write that move beyond the stylistic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Disinterested posted:

Brandor this is my routine reminder that you should learn to speak English. There are fundamental problems with the way that you write that move beyond the stylistic.

I quite liked this post:

BrandorKP posted:

Beliefs are beliefs. We do lovely things with them (or alternately they use us to do lovely things). Christianity has a hell of a a lot to say about this. Some of Jesus' metaphors seem to indicate a rather strong opinion about it too. There is also the whole cross thing,

Openly anti-theistic people still do the lovely things they blame on religion. Beliefs are beliefs. This is an appropriate thread to point that out in. An absence of religion doesn't remove the problem.

We are all brothers and sisters. Still the best response to the problem. But the reaction to people who genuinely live that, it hasn't changed either. The story of the life and death of Jesus and what he had to say still matters.

Though it's a bit wordy, I can trim it down a bit:

BrandorKP posted:

Tautology. Bad things happen. Christianity has opinions about bad things happening, so does Jesus.

Non religious people do bad things. Tautology. This is a good place to say this. Not being religious doesn't make it better.

We are all related. This is a good answer. But people still think the same things about it. Jesus is important.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

It's so tiring to see you keep saying what the universal Christian position is while excluding that silly, fringe minority of y'know 1/3 of Americans who believe fervently otherwise.

Who cares what a third of yankees think about anything? Even if the world was the USA, that minority wouldn't be able to influence much policy if the other 2/3 were as smart and rational as they constantly assert they are.

If you are politically/socially defeated by idiots, what does that say about you?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Black Bones posted:

Who cares what a third of yankees think about anything? Even if the world was the USA, that minority wouldn't be able to influence much policy if the other 2/3 were as smart and rational as they constantly assert they are.

If you are politically/socially defeated by idiots, what does that say about you?

It says that the system is rigged in such a way as idiots have an inordinate amount of power and/or the intelligent people have ulterior motives from one another.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Have you tried complaining about it adapting their winning tactics to your own policies? Pretty sure the religious right in america is something that has been studied. Why not build a bigger powerbase than theirs?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Black Bones posted:

Have you tried complaining about it adapting their winning tactics to your own policies? Pretty sure the religious right in america is something that has been studied. Why not build a bigger powerbase than theirs?

It has been studied, and its harder to get people to think abotu things vs identity politics. A study done showed that its intellectually easier to be authoritarian and jingoistic than it is to be thoughtful and rational.

Its hard to talk about the historicity of Jesus when the believe doesn't know a lot of the history in the first place, only what they are socially ingrained to believe and trust regardless of evidence.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Sure can do:

There are assertions about a shared essential fundamental reality that are being taken to be assertions solely about material existence.

No, they do not logically entail what you think they do.

Why not? Provide your reasoning. How can God exhibit emotions, reactions, intentions, and speech acts like the ones produced by our nervous system, without something significantly like it?

Infinite Karma posted:

It's a stupid argument because it assumes that "like" God or "in his image" means "physically constructed in a similar way."

The religious belief is that God created man to be like him, by having some qualities that imitate the "essence" of God. A thinking system doesn't need to be constructed of cells with phospholipid membranes and DNA and all of the other ways that biological life on Earth exists. If you copy a music recording from wax cylinder, to vinyl record, to magnetic tape, to CD, to .mp3, you are reproducing the musical essence without an exact duplicate of the physical medium.

That's a poor analogy, because the elctro-chemical nature of the signalling of our nerve cells has profound effects on how the system functions and the type of data it can carry vs. a digital one like CD. But even if I grant it to you, the musical essence itself is an accident of evolutionary history. No ape brain, no ape God.

quote:

I'm an atheist and don't believe that God did any of those things, but it's both not what religious people believe, and not a logical necessity that God is a biological being made of carbon, with 46-48 chromosomes. Even if it was, the physical media that allow God to do what he does have no bearing on God's moral, intellectual, or spiritual nature, so it's doubly irrelevant. It's a strawman distraction, not even really an argument.

I didn't say that it's a logical necessity that God is a biological being made of carbon. I said "like the ones produced by ours. But in "necessary" form instead of physical :rolleyes:"

(^-- predicted theist response: lay it at my feet to explain what I mean by "necessary" as if I'm responsible for keeping the terms and distinctions clear, where I'm just acknowledging their own make-believe metaphysical rubric)

And you don't know what a strawman is. A strawman argument is where one ascribes a position to someone that they do not hold, and then attacks it. I did no such thing. Emphatically and for the third time, I'm not saying that any church teaches that or any believer believes it. However, the position they do hold entails the one I posted, and you've failed to show why that entailment is invalid.

Lastly, you crucially said "the physical media that allow God to do what he does have no bearing on God's moral, intellectual, or spiritual nature." Really? Do you think the physical media behind our neurology has no bearing on our moral or intellectual nature? That's absolutely wrong.

Black Bones posted:

Who cares? Just stop calling a view actually held by a very significant number of people a "strawman." ( <-- this is regarding a different claim than the discussion above.)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I quite liked this post:

It's not that I think Brandor always writes incomprehensibly, but that only serves to make it more :sigh: when he does.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Jastiger posted:

It has been studied, and its harder to get people to think abotu things vs identity politics. A study done showed that its intellectually easier to be authoritarian and jingoistic than it is to be thoughtful and rational.

Its hard to talk about the historicity of Jesus when the believe doesn't know a lot of the history in the first place, only what they are socially ingrained to believe and trust regardless of evidence.

Anything worth doing is hard. Knuckle down and get to work, thoughtful yanks! Or don't, it's possible a relative decline of your country might be good for the rest of us.

vessbot posted:

Who cares? Just stop calling a view actually held by a very significant number of people a "strawman." ( <-- this is regarding a different claim than the discussion above.)

I don't believe I ever said that. I'm saying that a minority of Americans do not represent the international majority, of which I am a member. I concede they are overly influential in said country and possibly others, which is too bad and they should be opposed and fought against.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Black Bones posted:

Anything worth doing is hard. Knuckle down and get to work, thoughtful yanks! Or don't, it's possible a relative decline of your country might be good for the rest of us.

I don't believe I ever said that. I'm saying that a minority of Americans do not represent the international majority, of which I am a member. I concede they are overly influential in said country and possibly others, which is too bad and they should be opposed and fought against.

I am I am! I'm going to attend a meeting about education to combat the religious fundamentalists influencing the policy

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Jastiger posted:

Oh, were people discussing the historicity of Jesus? I thought it was a lot of back and forth navel gazing over ownership of the abolition movement and some guy thinking he was logical. Yeah, the historicity of Jesus would be an interesting discussion to have.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Miltank posted:

Being autistic myself, you are correct. I really do know other autistics who make the exact same argument he does.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Yeah, I wasn't kidding. A preposterous attack at the rationality of what is already recognized as irrational with some pseudoscience thrown in to boot. The idea that since we are made in God's image then God must ~logically~ have a central nervous system is something that a broken computer would come with.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Miltank posted:

Yeah, I wasn't kidding. A preposterous attack at the rationality of what is already recognized as irrational with some pseudoscience thrown in to boot. The idea that since we are made in God's image then God must ~logically~ have a central nervous system is something that a broken computer would come with.

Yeah. I mean, medieval theology has more than adequately dealt with that idiotic level of objection, which is not to say I think it's correct.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Crowsbeak posted:

Being autistic myself, you are correct. I really do know other autistics who make the exact same argument he does.

But I thought all autistics were smug atheists, and vice versa? Nothing makes sense anymore!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Miltank posted:

Still waiting for an answer to the objection.

Disinterested posted:

Yeah. I mean, medieval theology has more than adequately dealt with that idiotic level of objection, which is not to say I think it's correct.

Then it should be a snap for you to find a link with an answer (detailed or summary)...

e: still trying to figure out why "robot" and "computer" are supposed to be insults in a setting dedicated to logical examination of arguments and not writing poetry or exchanging valentines? What do you think the standards of the "debate" in "debate and discussion" should be?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 12, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Starving Autist posted:

But I thought all autistics were smug atheists, and vice versa? Nothing makes sense anymore!

I'm just an outlier. :smugbert:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

vessbot posted:

Still waiting for an answer to the objection.

vessbot posted:

The answer is "no." He doesn't need a central nervous system, that makes no sense.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If you wanted to go far back in time, while the Hebrew god definitely did not exist alone in a polytheistic cosmological system, he most assuredly was not conceived as having a body and attendant systems.

I think he probably was a mountain.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Miltank posted:

The answer is "no." He doesn't need a central nervous system, that makes no sense.

Then how can God exhibit emotions, reactions, intentions, and speech acts like the ones produced by our nervous system, without something significantly like it?

Berke Negri posted:

If you wanted to go far back in time, while the Hebrew god definitely did not exist alone in a polytheistic cosmological system, he most assuredly was not conceived as having a body and attendant systems.

I think he probably was a mountain.
For the fourth time, I am not saying that religious believers think God has a physical body. Not does my argument require that they do. Nor am I saying that their belief entails that he does. It does, however, entail that he has something like it in at least a non-physical spiritual or "necessary" form.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I can't tell if you are under thinking it or over thinking it

• Locked thread