Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Everyone wants to pretend that their favorite character would be great in a spin-off except they don't realize that don't appreciate the small kubo-isms anyways and would just endlessly whine about pacing in that spin-off as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Tbh, beyond facilitating cool fights and panels, just about every character in this manga is garbage. Except, like, Gin maybe?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Renji is pretty cool.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Chad is boring and his power is boring, and I don't really care that he no longer gets screentime.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

tbp posted:

I feel the same way with Chad, idk why everyone seems to want him to get all this screen time or whatever, he's not had any cool moments the entire story I think

He picked up a light pole when he couldn't see hollows and hit one with it. That might have been in the anime though. That was his shining moment and it was all downhill from there.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like Chad because he looks cool, and that's as good a reason as any to like a character in Bleach, and for what it's worth given that it never goes anywhere, his being Spanish is pretty unique in manga as a whole.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

|Ziggy| posted:

He picked up a light pole when he couldn't see hollows and hit one with it. That might have been in the anime though. That was his shining moment and it was all downhill from there.

Nope, it was in the manga too. It owned.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Gin is the most boring character but his kubo moment is the most memorable I guess. I liked tojirous kubo moment as well. Basically all of aizen crew had some cool kubo moments.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Prison Warden posted:

Who is your favourite Bleach character?

I thought it over a while, and it's a tricky one. I like a lot of characters, but the ones I like the most are because of their mystique or what exactly is unknown about them.

Early on it was Mayuri, mainly because of his outlandish looks and coming back from that arrow attack, and that feeling that he was hosed in the head. He felt like a huge big bad at the SS Arc. His slightly incomplete back story intrigues me. Questions like "why was he put in the Maggots Nest in the first place? How was he seemed that dangerous so early in his life?" Even later it was his trick on Szayel, where he played injured... that got a good chuckle from me. I like his asspulls.

Urahara has grown on me and I wish we could see him in a more front line position, and less of the scheming master of puppets support role.

Shinsui has always held a spot of interest as to the fact I want to know his bankai desperately. With him being one of the 2 captains that we haven't seen from yet (excluding Zaraki who I don't think we will see a bankai from).

I liked them delving more into Kenpachi, and him learning his swords name after they made a huge deal when he fought Ichigo that he didn't. However I think he's done, and if in another fight he will likely show out early, and likely lose.

But I do not have a specific favorite.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kuboism? :confused:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Popularized by the great artist Paburo Picasso.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

hagie posted:

I liked them delving more into Kenpachi, and him learning his swords name after they made a huge deal when he fought Ichigo that he didn't. However I think he's done, and if in another fight he will likely show out early, and likely lose.
I don't think Kenpachi is quite done yet. There is still the matter of Yachiru apparently disappearing into thin air to resolve. Considering that most of his actions since his fight against Unohana were driven by concern for her (he only confronted Gremmy because he felt Yachiru's aura weakening), I believe we will have a resolution here.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Honestly I will be pretty surprised if Kenny doesn't take another shot at the king. Last time he got crushed off screen, and in Unohana's speech to 'pachi it showed YWACH's face in a panel.

We're about due for another struggle, I don't care what kind of bullshit eye powers YWACH managed to pull.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Honestly I will be pretty surprised if Kenny doesn't take another shot at the king. Last time he got crushed off screen, and in Unohana's speech to 'pachi it showed YWACH's face in a panel.

We're about due for another struggle, I don't care what kind of bullshit eye powers YWACH managed to pull.

Juha WCH's eyes will turn into butterflies?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

X_Toad posted:

I don't think Kenpachi is quite done yet. There is still the matter of Yachiru apparently disappearing into thin air to resolve. Considering that most of his actions since his fight against Unohana were driven by concern for her (he only confronted Gremmy because he felt Yachiru's aura weakening), I believe we will have a resolution here.

The smart storytelling thing to do is have Kenpachi fight and lose (possibly die) but wound the King in a way that it makes it possible for Ichigo to win. But lol at Kubo having the skill to do that.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

hagie posted:

No, no it wasn't. He is a horrible character.

Thank you, this needs to be said.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I'm disappointed that we don't get to see Ganju in this arc running around avoiding being stomped on like an ant by ghost nazis with godlike powers.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Postal Parcel posted:

Juha WCH's eyes will turn into butterflies?

That must be why Aizen was special war potential. That wouldn't work on him since he already turned into one.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

NutritiousSnack posted:

The smart storytelling thing to do is have Kenpachi fight and lose (possibly die) but wound the King in a way that it makes it possible for Ichigo to win. But lol at Kubo having the skill to do that.

Yeah him pulling a Gai as his last hurrah would be pretty sweet. Possibly the last cool thing to happen in that trainwreck of a finale.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Lamebot posted:

Thank you, this needs to be said.

A lot of the fawning over characters I see are really based on how obscure and non-essential they are, or bandwagoners.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hagie posted:

Why does everyone have such a hard-on for that character?

People like Don Kanonji because he is a minor character that Kubo understands is a minor character and doesn't portray him as being more important than he is or act as if he will get more development and growth other than his introductory arc only for everyone to grow disappointed when Kubo inevitably doesn't get around to it.

Also he is overdramatic and a confident weakling so that's pretty funny.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah him pulling a Gai as his last hurrah would be pretty sweet. Possibly the last cool thing to happen in that trainwreck of a finale.

The best solution is for him to take out Bach himself. In the future all I see is a maniac laughing while swinging a sword with both hands, and then darkness.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Aizen is a war power because Bach will never understand his power since it makes no sense.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also because you can't underestimate weapons-grade :smug: like that.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

sharktamer posted:

Renji is pretty cool.

Renji was the first sign this manga was afraid to take any chances. Renji would have been a fantastic character if he had died against Byukuya. A Soul Society resident who honored the system in place but simply had to rebel to save his childhood friend, jobs hard to Byakuya to show the difference between them just in time for Ichigo to confront him. He even had a cool death scene. It set the stage for SS people to later have different motives and plans in place. Not everybody was willing to just let Rukia's execution happen.

But no, he magically came back to:
-job to Aizen, not so much as scratching him
-barely defeats a hapless Fraccion with the help of a robot girl
-job to Szayelaporro, not so much as scratching him
-beats up a human woman, afterwards she is so filled with guilt at having lost to Renji of all people that she commits suicide
-jobs to the Sternritter
-FINALLY beats one of a couple dozen Sternritter that any other named character could have defeated

The guy is pure cast bloat personified. Kubo is either terrified of or not allowed to killed named characters so he has to have them orbit around the plot never getting anything important done.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Advice posted:

Renji was the first sign this manga was afraid to take any chances. Renji would have been a fantastic character if he had died against Byukuya. A Soul Society resident who honored the system in place but simply had to rebel to save his childhood friend, jobs hard to Byakuya to show the difference between them just in time for Ichigo to confront him. He even had a cool death scene. It set the stage for SS people to later have different motives and plans in place. Not everybody was willing to just let Rukia's execution happen.

But no, he magically came back to:
-job to Aizen, not so much as scratching him
-barely defeats a hapless Fraccion with the help of a robot girl
-job to Szayelaporro, not so much as scratching him
-beats up a human woman, afterwards she is so filled with guilt at having lost to Renji of all people that she commits suicide
-jobs to the Sternritter
-FINALLY beats one of a couple dozen Sternritter that any other named character could have defeated

The guy is pure cast bloat personified. Kubo is either terrified of or not allowed to killed named characters so he has to have them orbit around the plot never getting anything important done.

Literally everyone jobbed to Aizen at that point so that hardly counts. :colbert:

I also don't mind Byakuya not killing Renji because if he was always planned to turn good after losing to Ichigo it made sense for him to spare his lieutenant after being impressed by his determination (that fight was also really rad and a sleeper hit in good bleach fights). Renji's real problem is that he got transitioned into Ichigo's group of chucklehead friends which is Kubo speak for he wants the character to remain important and get screentime but he has no idea what he wants to do with them after their initial arc is complete. The only one who manages to avoid this is Rukia but after she defeats Espada number 9 she succumbs to irrelevancy as well. It's strange because I'm pretty sure Kubo really did want Ichigo's Hueco Mundo Invasion group to be the characters with the most focus but he never commits and has them all get shoved aside by other characters who other than Kenpachi are also never going to move past their initial character arcs.

Also Renji and Uryu's fight against Szayel was way better than Mayuri's and they should've been the ones to defeat him because at least at the beginning of that fight actions actually had consequences.

KillerDan
Nov 4, 2012

antavila posted:

Were Shinji and Co. "cured" of their hollow forms or something? I can't remember the last time they transformed or if they can, why they haven't.

Just want to point out that the last time any of the Vizards transformed was actually right before all this fighting started, when Mashiro put her mask on to punch Shuhei for his bankai training before mysteriously disappearing from the plot. So it doesn't seem like they've lost their power or have any reason not to use it. They just didn't. And then Kensei and Rose were zombies.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Literally everyone jobbed to Aizen at that point so that hardly counts. :colbert:

I also don't mind Byakuya not killing Renji because if he was always planned to turn good after losing to Ichigo it made sense for him to spare his lieutenant after being impressed by his determination (that fight was also really rad and a sleeper hit in good bleach fights). Renji's real problem is that he got transitioned into Ichigo's group of chucklehead friends which is Kubo speak for he wants the character to remain important and get screentime but he has no idea what he wants to do with them after their initial arc is complete. The only one who manages to avoid this is Rukia but after she defeats Espada number 9 she succumbs to irrelevancy as well. It's strange because I'm pretty sure Kubo really did want Ichigo's Hueco Mundo Invasion group to be the characters with the most focus but he never commits and has them all get shoved aside by other characters who other than Kenpachi are also never going to move past their initial character arcs.

Also Renji and Uryu's fight against Szayel was way better than Mayuri's and they should've been the ones to defeat him because at least at the beginning of that fight actions actually had consequences.

Kubo should have at least had Ichigo's friends go with him to the fake Karakura fights to do stuff. Have some of the Vizards or lieutenants no one cares about get gibbed to make room for them. Instead, outside of Rukia none of them were even mentioned for like 80 chapters.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
And suddenly Ukitake happened?

So close Innoue...

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 12, 2015

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I like how that chapter was basically just about Ichigo being told he is the worst hero

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Link: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Bleach/Bleach-615--ALL-IS-LOST?id=220767

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why did Ywach even need Ichigo to kill the Soul King. Couldn't he just do it himself? He stabbed the guy after all. Also it is pretty funny that after the whole song and dance of Ichigo going to SS to defeat Ywach then having to turn around to continue chasing him just resulted in him loving everything up. What was the point of all that buildup??

Ukitake is totally going to be Aizen isn't he. :(

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ukitake is totally going to be Aizen isn't he. :(

Why would you be sad about that? That would possibly be one of the best outcomes.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Bleach Manga Thread 14: And suddenly Ukitake...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why did Ywach even need Ichigo to kill the Soul King.

Because he's Aizen, so he isn't actually a quincy and doesn't have a +9 against spirit kings.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

hagie posted:

... says wearily and grudgingly, ' I cant beleave I am about to say this but ... someone get that smug prick Aizen....."

Edit: then, stepping out of no where and slapping Urahara on the back, Aizen beems smugly saying .. well smugly 'you rang ?'

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 12, 2015

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Foul Ole Ron posted:

... says wearily and with much butthurt, 'get that smug prick Aizen....."

he's a loose cannon, but he gets results, dammit.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

seeing shocked Urahara was the best part of this chapter and suddenly ukitake

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

hagie posted:

...out Aizen's Aizen

...takes his true form as the soul king. The king is dead! Long live the king!

Edit: Thinking about it more, His bankai is two swords (children?) joined with a chain. Spirit World/Human World? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Cruel Rose posted:

he's a loose cannon, but he gets results, dammit.

hey, hes a smug prick alright but he saved my rear end back in ghost 'nam.

• Locked thread