Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RubberJohnny posted:

ETA until Blackberry makes more money from patent trolling than phone sales?

i dont really see that as patent trolling, and the guys behind the typo case are pretty loving stupid if they didnt see this coming. also its a bad product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RubberJohnny posted:

ETA until Blackberry makes more money from patent trolling than phone sales?

nice giant blurry image you fucker

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
typo negative

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Tayter Swift posted:

typo negative

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I wonder if they are doing this poo poo now to cover their earnings loss

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/6/7991827/sec-investigating-blackberry-trades

quote:

Wall Street was pretty excited about the prospect of Samsung buying BlackBerry when Reuters reported talks between the two last month. The Canadian smartphone maker's stock surged to its biggest single-day gain in years, according to CNBC, only to come back down to Earth after both companies denied any acquisition deal was in the works. But now the US Securities and Exchange Commission (and its Canadian counterpart) are investigating suspicious trading activity that — perhaps too conveniently — coincided with the big rumor.

The concern is that someone fed information to Reuters for the sole purpose of making a killing on the stock jump. According to CNBC's sources, one transaction the SEC is focused on occurred at 12:06PM (well ahead of the headline-making Reuters report) and potentially could have allowed its buyer to "make a profit of $490,000 on a $20,000 investment." At this point, CNBC says it's unclear whether the buyer acted quickly enough to make that kind of cash, or whether the person is guilty of insider trading to begin with. Both CNBC and The Wall Street Journal emphasize that Reuters is not a target of this investigation.

After the denials from both companies, Reuters adjusted its story to note that talks had been held between "advisors" rather than executives from Samsung and BlackBerry. No one has been formally accused of wrongdoing, and with insider trading cases often daunting to prove in court, it could stay that way.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
the SEC couldn't find a 60 billion dollar Ponzi scheme even after being handed a document listing over twenty financial red flags; why should they be expected to find a pump & dump on a poo poo stock

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao

http://crackberry.com/some-popular-third-party-blackberry-10-apps-need-improve-their-security

whod have thought that people who make bad decisions about what platform to write apps for also make bad decisions when writing the apps?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

lmao

http://crackberry.com/some-popular-third-party-blackberry-10-apps-need-improve-their-security

whod have thought that people who make bad decisions about what platform to write apps for also make bad decisions when writing the apps?

lol

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Thanks Ants posted:

lmao

all of the links in this post are pro click

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

quote:

Snap2Chat and Snap10: This application is an extremely high-risk application with potential remote execution scripts embedded per the developers statements online. In testing, it connected to Snapchat 2x for every ~340x internet connections it made meaning it has the potential to use up-to 300 times the bandwidth compared to the official Snapchat application. It connected to a dozen websites in addition to the Snapchat website, and requested a total of 10 permissions. The application submitted hundreds of hidden advertisement requests to Smaato but did not show them to the user. More importantly, it is submitting user data including name, gender, age etc. in plain text over the internet to a hidden Nemory Studios website.

holy lol :captainpop:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

if u want to do ad fraud why would you do it on a platform with approx 10 users

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A Pinball Wizard posted:

if those users self-identify as captains of industry why not, it's not like labor for developing malware costs much

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

lmao

lol

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Pretty much all of the former RIM buildings have been sold and I'm betting that all the new tenants will be iOS and Android app startups.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5330883-wekerle-now-owns-six-former-blackberry-buildings-in-waterloo/

Also Huawei is coming to town so I expect whatever engineers are left will jump ship.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

those ten users are well paid whales of the Canadian government would be my guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mister Macys posted:

those ten users are well paid whales of the Canadian government would be my guess

there are two groups i work with that still use blackberrys: former government people who do the revolving door government-consulting-lobbying cycle, they're used to bb's from their time in government and they have no interest in changing

and people in construction project management. they just loving love those hardware keyboards

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Pretty much all of the former RIM buildings have been sold and I'm betting that all the new tenants will be iOS and Android app startups.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5330883-wekerle-now-owns-six-former-blackberry-buildings-in-waterloo/

Also Huawei is coming to town so I expect whatever engineers are left will jump ship.

it's kinda sad that bb sold all their buildings and now has to rent from the guy to which they sold them

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

xerox did that in the 2000s after they got found out

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Fun fact. The current mayor of Waterloo was an executive at RIM who was laid off in 2012 https://ca.linkedin.com/in/davejaworsky

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's kinda sad that bb sold all their buildings and now has to rent from the guy to which they sold them

TELUS did this to subsidize the buildout of the HSPA network so it's not uncommon to raise capital but you have to be an actual company that makes money so you can buy them back later

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

An otherwise respectable lady in front of me at the grocery store had one of those square blackberry things. When I walked up it smelled like she had just farted. Shortly afterwards she discovered she didn't have her wallet and had to put her food back.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sund posted:

An otherwise respectable lady in front of me at the grocery store had one of those square blackberry things. When I walked up it smelled like she had just farted. Shortly afterwards she discovered she didn't have her wallet and had to put her food back.

so owning a blackberry turns you into a walking bb metaphor?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

sund posted:

lol

blackberryowners.txt

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
waterloo sounds like a loving hellhole

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Imagine two small cities pretending they're a mid sized city, built on nothing but hills. Hills everywhere.
As hilly as Manhattan is flat.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

i used to think London was the worst poo poo hole of its size in Ontario... then I visited Kitchener/Waterloo
it took that poo poo right to eleven

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Macys posted:

Imagine two small cities pretending they're a mid sized city, built on nothing but hills. Hills everywhere.
As hilly as Manhattan is flat.

manhattan's pretty dang hilly dude

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I've lived in worse places. This article sums up how in love the city is with RIM

http://fusion.net/story/45438/the-life-death-and-rebirth-of-blackberrys-hometown/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

well, not the tourist part

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah. you want a flat city? try chicago

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah, I only know the part of the island they always show in the movies like times square and central park

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

well, not the tourist part

central park is tourist as gently caress tho and once you get up to the surrounds of it you're already a good 60 feet up and theres plenty of elevation change inside it.

Mister Macys posted:

yeah, I only know the part of the island they always show in the movies like times square and central park

times square is like 40 feet up from the water's edge a few blocks away, and central park is pretty hilly itself dude.

and all in between shits dipping and rising all over cuz they just barely smoothed out the land for buildings and roads.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

whoa sixty whole feet of elevation? pretty extreme bro

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

whoa sixty whole feet of elevation? pretty extreme bro

pretty extreme compared to "flat"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
if you want flat, move to saskatchewan

if your dog runs away there you can see it's progress for days

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Cold on a Cob posted:

if you want flat, move to saskatchewan

if your dog runs away there you can see it's progress for days

nah there are lots of hills

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nintendo Kid posted:

pretty extreme compared to "flat"

that's as good as flat, compared to other places

it's like how the globe isn't perfectly spherical, but you're allowed to just say "it's round and/or spherical"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

that's as good as flat, compared to other places

it's like how the globe isn't perfectly spherical, but you're allowed to just say "it's round and/or spherical"

"flat"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fishmech doesn't have a sense of scale, he only cares about being technically correct. I hope this is not a new revelation to any of you

San Francisco is hilly, Manhattan is flat as far as humans are concerned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

fishmech doesn't have a sense of scale, he only cares about being technically correct. I hope this is not a new revelation to any of you

San Francisco is hilly, Manhattan is flat as far as humans are concerned

san francisco is extremely hilly, manhattan is just plain hilly.

only idiots and people who've never been there think it's flat.

• Locked thread