Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

To be honest, I have to say it feels kind of... appropriate that Jon Stewart is leaving, in a way? It's the end of a generational, sure, but... generational eras end :(

I'm turning 30 this year - was born at the end of May in 1985, which when I think is smack-dab right in the dead-center of the '80s - I probably (incorrectly) assume that most people here are roughly the same age as me, when probably there's a lot of people who are a good bit younger than that. But anyway, it felt like the time when we really needed Stewart and Colbert has, to some degree, passed quite some time ago. Which isn't to say they've been irrelevant (though I have paid less and less attention to them over the last 5 years or so) but more that I think Stewart understands that he has already been supplanted by younger voices, to some degree.

I mean... I remember back especially from, say, 2001 through 2005 or so, you really needed The Daily Show with Jon Stewart because there simply wasn't anything else even remotely resembling it on television, except maybe Politically Incorrect which was still something else entirely and always inconsistent. But cable news was gaining huge amounts of popularity and what the news *was* was changing really rapidly, and the climate of world politics was changing rapidly, and between the debacle that was the 2000 election and then the unreality of 9/11 and the use of it as a pretext for war, it just felt like the world was rapidly going insane and the entire news media was just watching like stunned sheep and rather than reporting the news it seemed that all that was going on was the news was being literally relayed by government officials with the most superficial and lazy debate ever. It was honestly quite a scary period of time, to be frank.

And at the time The Daily Show was this little half hour of sanity in the midst of all this madness, where there were actually sane, smart people who saw what was going on and saw that not only was it prime material to be mercilessly mocked, but that someone had to be something of a whistleblower and call these people on their lack of accountability, which is what Stewart/Colbert really did initially. And there was also a *really* special, talented group of people that were on the show from roughly 01-05. Not to disparage later correspondents that have been fantastic, but they had a pretty amazing lineup at the time. Let me see it, it was Colbert, Corell, Rob Corddry for a while, Ed Helms, and Sam Bee of course. Colbert going to his own show was an improvement and perfect and it felt like it had been that way forever once they started, but it still worked even when Colbert was a correspondent because he was practically the co-host for the last few years there.

I do wonder how much Colbert leaving influenced Stewart's decision; it seems like there must be some cause and effect there, like it wasn't quite the same after or it felt like some sort of urgency was lost. The two of them have always been so yin/yang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Craptacular! posted:

Run a spike through the heart of Weekend Update while it's paralyzed: The Daily Show with Norm McDonald.

It'll never happen, but I would love this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreenNight posted:

Beats someone saying he has cancer.

I thought the C word was cancellation :stare:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was born in 1987, and graduated high school in 2005. I never really watched TDS before I got to college, since this was the pre-DVR era. If I was up late working on school stuff I'd occasionally take a break and watch a random episode if the times lined up.

But TDS didn't even begin to "get" mainstream until the run-up to the 2004 election. That and Abu Ghraib were my big political awakening. I still remember yelling in my US History class "WHY DOES NO ONE CARE WE TORTURED PEOPLE?!" and having my teacher discretely tell me to start watching The Daily Show.

I later went back to watch some of Stewart's 2000 election coverage, and its hilarious how much they got away with since they were so unknown.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Narcissus1916 posted:

But TDS didn't even begin to "get" mainstream until the run-up to the 2004 election. That and Abu Ghraib were my big political awakening.

Sentence B was relevant to Sentence A.

The news has been an entertainment first circus since Lewinsky (actually before that, but that's when the political corner decided to just throw out any objective to stay grounded to reality). But TDS has been mainstream since well before 2004.

There was a period early on where they did like, one joke in commercial breaks for other Comedy Central shows. So a lot of people watching other shows got a factoid and punchline summarized into 15 seconds. I think a lot of people discovered it that way. I know I did, though it was the Kilborn days during Dr Katz instead of the early Stewart period during South Park.

Jon's opening segment for the show after 9/11 was probably the most "viral" of that time. It went mainstream around then, but they just haven't had much to work with since Palin became a talk show crank and not a potentially dangerous crank.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The daily Show with Neil Degrasse Tyson

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
My favorite time for TDS was probably 2009-2010. I felt like Stewart's comedy was the most poignant once Bush and Cheney were out of the way and before the batshit insanity of the Tea Party went full overdrive. The best CNN bashing was from this time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Craptacular! posted:

Jon's opening segment for the show after 9/11 was probably the most "viral" of that time. It went mainstream around then, but they just haven't had much to work with since Palin became a talk show crank and not a potentially dangerous crank.
If I had to point to a single moment when the Daily Show became the institution it is now, I'd agree that his post-9/11 episode is the one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

JT Jag posted:

If I had to point to a single moment when the Daily Show became the institution it is now, I'd agree that his post-9/11 episode is the one.

It got more focus than Letterman's return, which makes sense in today's context but at the time...

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, Jon's 9/11 speech is what made me a fan.

I've posted it many times on these forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXcmc2AZ6ZE

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Another great time was how well Stewart (and Colbert too) handled the Writers' Strike.

As important as writers are, those months showcased Jon's amazing strengths even when his show isn't running 100%.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Who made Huckabee?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Who made Huckabee?

The 3 way fight is tied with Letterman working McDonald's and Taco Bell's drivethru as my favorite late night segments ever.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

kaworu posted:

I do wonder how much Colbert leaving influenced Stewart's decision; it seems like there must be some cause and effect there, like it wasn't quite the same after or it felt like some sort of urgency was lost. The two of them have always been so yin/yang.

Probably a lot. They both have kids and now that Colbert is outta the game for a little while now (2 months?), he's probably very happy being able to spend more time with his family. That's what I got out of Jon last night; he really wants to spend more time with his family.

I don't think it's anything dire like 1 year left to live gotta make it count, and even if he was sick it would just be an impetus toward something he's already wanted to do.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I watched Jon Daily from 2006 to 2012, when I started finding it a bit too repetitive and switched to Colbert. The show was never bad, even if it might have lost its edge a little bit in the later years.

I hope they find a good replacement, although I honestly can't think of anyone who would fit the bill. It would be a shame to lose the Comedy Central late night format, it's a fantastic combination of funny, smart jokes and information while making a point. I guess there's always John Oliver but it's a lot more impressive to pull it off 180 times a year. I've only watched a couple of clips of the Nightly show and I thought it was gimmicky (in a bad way) and a bit poo poo.

Godspeed Jon and thanks for all the hours of great TV. You will be finally able to focus on your posting career here.

Narcissus1916 posted:

My main fear is that whoever gets the daily show will move it away from politics and into just another late night schtick-mobile. Colbert will already be trading in his pointed political humor for a broader riff on pop culture with CBS, I don't want TDS to be neutered too.

My sentiments exactly

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Yeah, Jon's 9/11 speech is what made me a fan.

I've posted it many times on these forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXcmc2AZ6ZE

I was a kid when 9/11 happened and I was a lovely kid who thought watching TDS was edgy and cool and poo poo and while this isn't 'one of my first memories' (I was 10 not 5) this was basically the first time I as a at the time borderline lower middle class kid felt like there was a legitimate 'danger' in the world and all beyond the normal 'don't talk to strangers' poo poo and 'yea don't go by that guy's place he's fuckin dealing'. His post 9/11 speech was the only one that in that dumb kid mindset actually hit home enough to make me understand that yea this is a scary and hosed up thing that happened and yea there's a lot of hate and anger all over the world aimed at people who don't deserve it, but also that you can't focus on how much that sucks if you want to actually live.

I stopped watching for a bit because, like others said, it just got kinda stale and softball rather than it really was 'bad' persay, and I've given Stewart plenty of poo poo when it sounds like he's just sucking off guys like Huckabee and Papa Bear and poo poo, but this is a legit stinging kinda loss.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
After reading all of the ideas and suggestions across the Internet, I think I can break down the categories:

Drop in replacements Show retains its tone and format, new host hits the ground running These people can bring the level of respect/gravitas that John Stewart brings. They won't come cheap.

Tina Fey likelihood - F
Amy Poehler likelihood - D
Chris Rock likelihood - F
Bassem Youseff likelihood - ??

Ready with questions These guys are capable of hosting, but can they transition or bring the same gravitas to the role

Jason Jones likelihood - B
Sam Bee likelihood - B
Jole McHale likelihood - F
Aisha Tyler likelihood - F

Correspondents They've been on the daily show, some can bring it, some may not.

Aasif Mandvi likelihood - C
Jessica Williams likelihood - B
Al Madrigal likelihood - C
Wyatt Cenac likelihood - D
Olivia Munn likelihood - F
Steve Carrell likelihood - hahhahaah

Stand up comedians Random comedians. Show would have to change for their unique talents.

Paul F Tompkins likelihood - D
Amy Schumer likelihood - D
Sarah Silverman likelihood - F
Aziz Ansari likelihood - F

Comedy Options Names I've seen thrown out there. Who knows what the show would turn into

Brian Williams likelihood - D
Donald Glover likelihood - F
Craig Ferguson likelihood - D
Patton Oswalt likelihood - F
BJ Novak likelihood - F

some notes: I put Bee and Jones in the higher category because, while their on-screen personalities would need to change, I'm confident they could take the role. I read somewhere that Jones was the first choice to be the replacement in 2013 but had something else going on, so it went to Oliver. McHale and Tyler are known quantities as hosts, but who knows what they can bring politically.

Bassem is probably the most intriguing option. He's apparently very similar to Stewart and his appearance was interesting. He would have to not mug for the camera so much as main host for the American audiences, but that's just a direction thing.

Pretty much everyone else I've seen suggested falls into one of those categories, from, "that would work" to "that's just dumb." My guess? I think they'll let the current correspondents pitch their show and if that doesn't work out, go outside. The pitch might even happen on air, giving a few of the correspondents more serious segments with the idea of playing them straight.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm wondering if Stewart already has someone who he wants to replace him or if he's leaving it up to Comedy Central to do it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
When blogging sites put out listicles like "Five Women Who Could Replace Stewart as The Daily Show's Host" my thought is "Why does this list exist when Jessica Williams already does?"

I might be blindsided by how much I'm a fan of her, but I think the advantage with Williams over an more established and older personality like those SNL alum is that Williams does signal, "We can stay relevant, if not, ahead of the curve". When I see someone like Amy Poehler or Tina Fey (or God forbid, Sarah Silverman) being pitched, I imagine the person pushing that idea is someone who's okay with the traditional culture war fault lines we've been spoon-fed since at least 2004. Maybe I'm just projecting a lot on Jessica, but I want someone much younger and less white. It's almost needed for TDS to stay fresh and relevant in the next decade. Jessica's that... and more importantly, she's funny too. And there's not much baggage with her.

Bassem Youseff is a left-field choice that could also work, even though he's not young. The middle east will continue to remain in the headlines; and I don't get the impression he's tone deaf with American comedic sensibilities. (Heck, John Oliver learned quickly how an American audience works.)

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 12, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Echo Chamber posted:

Bassem Youseff is a left-field choice that could also work, even though he's not young.

He's 40.

Stewart was 37 when he started on TDS.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He's 40.

Stewart was 37 when he started on TDS.
I thought he was older because he and Jon seemed like total bros.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus, Stewart's in his mid 50's? I thought he just grayed younger and looked hella distinguished. I thought he was in his mid 40's.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He jokes that he wears a lot of makeup on the show and when fans meet him in public they always ask him if he's sick because he looks so much older.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GreenNight posted:

He jokes that he wears a lot of makeup on the show and when fans meet him in public they always ask him if he's sick because he looks so much older.

This makes me feel ancient because I remember one of my first times watching a comedy special was watching Unleavened.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

How Darwinian posted:

Bring in Charlie Brooker!

Have all American political satire run by the Brits!

I said this yesterday and the more I think about it the more I like the idea. I know it won't happen but it surprises me that he never made the leap to American television. Maybe he's just too real for US audiences. Still I wish someone here would give him a show.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

haveblue posted:

I thought the C word was cancellation :stare:

I was thinking it meant the other c-word and was deeply confused how it would apply.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Jon was using the term oval office punter an awful lot for a while.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Echo Chamber posted:

I might be blindsided by how much I'm a fan of her, but I think the advantage with Williams over an more established and older personality like those SNL alum is that Williams does signal, "We can stay relevant, if not, ahead of the curve". When I see someone like Amy Poehler or Tina Fey (or God forbid, Sarah Silverman) being pitched, I imagine the person pushing that idea is someone who's okay with the traditional culture war fault lines we've been spoon-fed since at least 2004. Maybe I'm just projecting a lot on Jessica, but I want someone much younger and less white. It's almost needed for TDS to stay fresh and relevant in the next decade. Jessica's that... and more importantly, she's funny too. And there's not much baggage with her.

Problem with Williams is that she's all of 25 and taking over a show that, in the last 15 years, has launched countless careers and is politically respected enough that if candidates don't outright watch it, they at least have a staff member whose job it is to watch.

Jessica Williams may not be ready for that environment.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Echo Chamber posted:

I thought he was older because he and Jon seemed like total bros.

He's also a cardiothoracic surgeon.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

kayakyakr posted:

Jessica Williams may not be ready for that environment.

Yeah, there's no way. Comedy Central could take a flier on some random young comedian and give them a show, they do that all the time. But it would be a new show. Honestly, they should just retire the Daily Show brand until there's a real possible successor. Jon far exceeded any expectations anyone could have had for that show. The few people capable of doing what he did aren't likely to take a job on Comedy Central, they have better options.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Yeah, there's no way. Comedy Central could take a flier on some random young comedian and give them a show, they do that all the time. But it would be a new show. Honestly, they should just retire the Daily Show brand until there's a real possible successor. Jon far exceeded any expectations anyone could have had for that show. The few people capable of doing what he did aren't likely to take a job on Comedy Central, they have better options.

He re-invented the show, but it has already been re-invented. It's not like he wrote the scripts himself. The writers will still work there, the correspondents will still work there. Just find someone new to keep reading the scripts. Hopefully they have the creative spark to eventually put their own spin on things, but there's not really a need to re-invent it again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah but Jon has massive massive input into all facets of the show, including the scripts. He rewrote quite a bit between dress rehearsal and airtime.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

I think lionizing and trying to bring it back is an even worse idea than handing the keys to a gifted but unproven comedian. Because even if they got somebody great when they brought it back, it's a high loving bar to reach.

I really, really want Charlie Brooker to be offered the job. It'd be so good. I could see Charlie balking for the same reason Jon is leaving, though; Charlie likes doing other projects outside his comedy news stuff, and I think he really enjoys them.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Not saying he's just a talking head or whatever, he was obviously very involved and talented, etc. I just think it's an exaggeration to say no one else is capable of doing it and they should just cancel the show.

He even said that one of the reasons he wants to leave is that he thinks that his "restlessness" might hurt the show and he thinks it's time to let someone fresh take over.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hahaha does anybody know that Brownback guy's justification for allowing gays to be fired or harassed? How can it be anything other than "gays ew"? Or was he just too cowardly to release a statement with his order?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Hazo posted:

Hahaha does anybody know that Brownback guy's justification for allowing gays to be fired or harassed?

Well, you see, an order requiring equality in the workplace can not be issued by a Governor, and instead is the responsibility of the legislature. This matters because Brownback is an anti-gay oval officefor some reason. :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Concerned parent and author" is maybe the worst thing you can say when giving someone's credentials.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

As long as we're throwing out pure fantasy booking for host, I want to see Dara Ó Briain on American television. I think he'd be a huge hit.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Ahaha, "I don't know; just Google it!"

Mom of the year.

:laffo: That rabbi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh, Princeton Mom :allears:

(Seriously, if you've never heard of this woman before, google that and strap in)

• Locked thread