Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Who was it that recommended lacto fermenting beets? Because mine finished last week and I can't stop eating them they're so good. I ended up having to brine them because they were old and shriveled and didn't put out enough liquid on their own, but the end result is still delicious. Next time I'll use fresher beets and shred them for a beet kraut instead of larger fermented chunks.

Not sure what I'll do next but kosher dills is supremely tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gimme your measurements/recipe, I want to try

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My wife came back from a family funeral with her aunt's 10 gallon pickle barrel. So I need a good fermented pickle recipe.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My wife came back from a family funeral with her aunt's 10 gallon pickle barrel. So I need a good fermented pickle recipe.

I usually do sliced onions, whole garlic, fresh dill, dill seed, chile de arbol, 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water, 1/4 cup of sugar per gallon of water. You could boil it all and chill it I suppose, but I just throw it all together, throw in my cukes, and wait 10-14 days.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Gimme your measurements/recipe, I want to try

Started with medium-small beets, quartered and then cut into 1cm slices. ~3% of beet mass in salt sprinkled in as I added new stuff to the crock. I used ~1 tablespoon of dried dill weed per pound of beets; fresh would almost certainly be better. Stir aggressively but don't smash the beets, and press down hard when done adding new ones. When they failed to express enough liquid to immerse themselves in brine, I added 3% brine to cover. Stir 1-2 times per day for the first three days. After five days I skimmed off a few mold formations and wiped the inside of the crock above the waterline with a damp cloth to get rid of other mold colonies. Repeat every couple of days. They're done when the sourness has penetrated the beet to your satisfaction but they're still very firm. It took mine about ten days, I think.

Katz says he doesn't peel beets before fermenting. I took off the more wrinkled/armor-like bits of skin but left most of it intact, and you can't really tell. As long as they've been scrubbed thoroughly peeling appears to be unnecessary.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartolimu posted:

Started with medium-small beets, quartered and then cut into 1cm slices. ~3% of beet mass in salt sprinkled in as I added new stuff to the crock. I used ~1 tablespoon of dried dill weed per pound of beets; fresh would almost certainly be better. Stir aggressively but don't smash the beets, and press down hard when done adding new ones. When they failed to express enough liquid to immerse themselves in brine, I added 3% brine to cover. Stir 1-2 times per day for the first three days. After five days I skimmed off a few mold formations and wiped the inside of the crock above the waterline with a damp cloth to get rid of other mold colonies. Repeat every couple of days. They're done when the sourness has penetrated the beet to your satisfaction but they're still very firm. It took mine about ten days, I think.

Katz says he doesn't peel beets before fermenting. I took off the more wrinkled/armor-like bits of skin but left most of it intact, and you can't really tell. As long as they've been scrubbed thoroughly peeling appears to be unnecessary.

awesome. I just picked up the art of fermentation and it's been sitting on my nightstand for a minute, this post just got me re-excited about reading it. I've never thought about lacto-fermenting beets, but this sounds really tasty. well except for the mold part...

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mold is a thing that happens when you ferment, there's not much stopping it. Just skim it off the top of the brine and carry on. As long as you've got a weight holding the food under the surface the food will be unharmed.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bartolimu posted:

Who was it that recommended lacto fermenting beets? Because mine finished last week and I can't stop eating them they're so good. I ended up having to brine them because they were old and shriveled and didn't put out enough liquid on their own, but the end result is still delicious. Next time I'll use fresher beets and shred them for a beet kraut instead of larger fermented chunks.

Not sure what I'll do next but kosher dills is supremely tempting.

That was me. Aren't they great? One of my favorite things to pickle. I put some asparagus in the jar sometimes too, the flavors go really great together.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartolimu posted:

Mold is a thing that happens when you ferment, there's not much stopping it. Just skim it off the top of the brine and carry on. As long as you've got a weight holding the food under the surface the food will be unharmed.

I hate that I'm a pussy about it, but I'm a giant pussy about it. For some reason I can cut off mold on salt-cured protein, bread, hard cheese, whatever - and not be bothered. But the couple times I've tried to laco-ferment stuff and it got moldy I just chucked my ferment out. maybe because I brew beer or something, where mold sitting on top of your liquid is a death knell.

dunno, I'll educate myself with this katz book and hopefully man up and make some sour pickles. :clint:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mindphlux posted:

I hate that I'm a pussy about it, but I'm a giant pussy about it. For some reason I can cut off mold on salt-cured protein, bread, hard cheese, whatever - and not be bothered. But the couple times I've tried to laco-ferment stuff and it got moldy I just chucked my ferment out. maybe because I brew beer or something, where mold sitting on top of your liquid is a death knell.

dunno, I'll educate myself with this katz book and hopefully man up and make some sour pickles. :clint:

Yeah, I'm sort of in the same mindset. Mold on a liquid tells me I hosed up somewhere, and I can't reconcile that with like, salumi and cheese. Bread I usually toss though, that poo poo can root way deeper than you think and flour, salt and water are cheap.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Katz has a neat solution to prevent most mold. Once you've got brine established, float a thin layer of olive oil on top to serve as an airlock. The upside is no mold grows on the surface. The downside is everything you ferment gets a slight coating of olive oil. Not much of a downside, really. I don't bother with this for anything besides olives because they're a very long cure, but it works well for those.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Katz has a neat solution to prevent most mold. Once you've got brine established, float a thin layer of olive oil on top to serve as an airlock. The upside is no mold grows on the surface. The downside is everything you ferment gets a slight coating of olive oil. Not much of a downside, really. I don't bother with this for anything besides olives because they're a very long cure, but it works well for those.

That sounds like a win-win.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mindphlux posted:

I'm probably the retard chiming into the cool kids conversation re: fermentation and pickling, b/c I've had zero experience, but I've seen a number of shows about pickling in which they use a system involving cheesecloth to keep the food under the surface, and then they remove the mould just by replacing the cheesecloth.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I just put a kitchen towel on top, then a lid. Try to make sure there's no air gap.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I am going to valentine the everloving poo poo out of my partner this year. If we're both working we both kind of just try to gently caress or whatever but this year I am freelancing and making gently caress-all when it comes to cash (and have been cooking a ton as a result) so I want to go BALLS OUT for this.

I'm thinking of something like this for a menu:

Appetizer: Something seafoody. I made salmon tartare recently and it was fabulous, so I could do that. Alternatively, oysters? I've never shucked an oyster before and I'm slightly scared to try, but gently caress it, I've been meaning to.
Beer pairing: Something light. Probably La Fin du Monde or another belgian tripel.

Entree: Agnolotti filled with goat cheese and mushroom (and maybe kale or something, don't want to eat all that butter without at least a little roughage) in a sage browned butter (or maybe a sage cream sauce). Or maybe just do some kind of braised pork belly over top to really push it way over the top, and make a lighter sauce?
Beer pairing: Probably a stout of some kind, or a barleywine--we've got Victory Twelve in the fridge and I think that'll stand up to all the butter and all the rich flavors. Or red wine if he's more in the mood for that on Friday.

Dessert: Something chocolate. Chocolate coconut tart or something? Like, a chocolate shortbread crust, a layer of coconut oil caramel (which I have been wanting to try for a while), and ganache? Either that, or chocolate mousse with coconut whipped cream. I want this poo poo to be PRETTY dammit.
Rum Pairing: Zaya or the 20th anniversary Plantation (if we're not too drunk to actually taste how good that poo poo is)

Thoughts, anyone? I'm a little shaky on the agnolotti filling and the progression of everything.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 10, 2015

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Who wants to make prison food?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Nicol Bolas posted:

I am going to valentine the everloving poo poo out of my partner this year. If we're both working we both kind of just try to gently caress or whatever but this year I am freelancing and making gently caress-all when it comes to cash (and have been cooking a ton as a result) so I want to go BALLS OUT for this.

Appetizer: Something seafoody. I made salmon tartare recently and it was fabulous, so I could do that. Alternatively, oysters? I've never shucked an oyster before and I'm slightly scared to try, but gently caress it, I've been meaning to.
Beer pairing: Something light. Probably La Fin du Monde or another belgian tripel.

Entree: Agnolotti filled with goat cheese and mushroom (and maybe kale or something, don't want to eat all that butter without at least a little roughage) in a sage browned butter (or maybe a sage cream sauce). Or maybe just do some kind of braised pork belly over top to really push it way over the top, and make a lighter sauce?
Beer pairing: Probably a stout of some kind, or a barleywine--we've got Victory Twelve in the fridge and I think that'll stand up to all the butter and all the rich flavors. Or red wine if he's more in the mood for that on Friday.

Dessert: Something chocolate. Chocolate coconut tart or something? Like, a chocolate shortbread crust, a layer of coconut oil caramel (which I have been wanting to try for a while), and ganache? Either that, or chocolate mousse with coconut whipped cream. I want this poo poo to be PRETTY dammit.
Rum Pairing: Zaya or the 20th anniversary Plantation (if we're not too drunk to actually taste how good that poo poo is)

Thoughts, anyone? I'm a little shaky on the agnolotti filling and the progression of everything.

That sounds absolutely great!!

if you go for the oysters, don't forget to make a great vinaigrette (to be made beforehand)

The entree filling, if you want to use goat cheese, I usually like a sweeter component to go with it, like an onion confit (also made beforehand)

love the beer pairings btw

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Sounds filling. Sex first?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

After the starter, before the main.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
The ol' Trou Normand.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

Not gonna lie, I kinda like the idea of after oysters and beer, sex, then pasta and dessert.

That does bring up a good point, though, I don't want to overstuff ourselves. I might just make a few really fat raviolos and serve just one each, and then top with pork belly and / or whatever sauce. And make little baby desserts. I hinted at the coconut caramel and he's not that excited so I've got to go back to the drawing board on that one.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Nicol Bolas posted:

If you want to try something just as good, less boozy perhaps, for the appetizer, go with something more citrus-ey. Im a huge fan of a gose or lambic. if you can find a berlinerweiss, they tend to be nice and tart. Usually these beers are much lower ABV than a tripel (which i dont find all that light tbh...) IF you want to stick with belgians, try Houblon Chouffe

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Been learning about risotto lately - what's the process like for prepping and serving it in a restaurant?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

If you want to try something just as good, less boozy perhaps, for the appetizer, go with something more citrus-ey. Im a huge fan of a gose or lambic. if you can find a berlinerweiss, they tend to be nice and tart. Usually these beers are much lower ABV than a tripel (which i dont find all that light tbh...) IF you want to stick with belgians, try Houblon Chouffe

Lambic would be way too sweet, I think, but gose isn't a bad idea if I can find one that isn't weird and too salty; I've had some goses that are just flat-out bizarre. Hefeweizen also might be good. We just moved from Boston to Denver so I'm just not familiar with the beers in the area. It's crazy, the Belgian imports like St Bernardus that I'm used to picking up for $12 or whatever for a bomber are now like $20 for a bomber because they had to go 2000 miles further. And all the local stuff in Boston is very Belgian, wacky combinations that I love like Happy Sol (blood orange wheat), and a lot of the standard beers are way hoppier than I'm interested in. That said, literally everything else is a billion times cheaper. One of our favorite rums, Pyrat, is like $10 cheaper because the Puritans didn't make it out here. So . . . . . if you have any Colorado-specific beers to recommend I'm all ears?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Nicol Bolas posted:

Lambic would be way too sweet

Bad lambic would be.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

proper lambics shouldn't be sweet at all.

If all you've ever had was lindeman's, you haven't had lambic.

Edit:
I wouldn't tripel with light seafood course, that's pretty bludgeoning. Also it's the first course.

Maybe a light on the palate IPA like Deschutes Fresh Squeezed or something brighter and lively like Russian River's Temptation.

edit2: based on your Victory Twelve, I'm assuming you're east coast so maybe Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere would be a good alternative to RR Temptation.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 11, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Nicol Bolas posted:

Lambic would be way too sweet, I think, but gose isn't a bad idea if I can find one that isn't weird and too salty; I've had some goses that are just flat-out bizarre. Hefeweizen also might be good. We just moved from Boston to Denver so I'm just not familiar with the beers in the area. It's crazy, the Belgian imports like St Bernardus that I'm used to picking up for $12 or whatever for a bomber are now like $20 for a bomber because they had to go 2000 miles further. And all the local stuff in Boston is very Belgian, wacky combinations that I love like Happy Sol (blood orange wheat), and a lot of the standard beers are way hoppier than I'm interested in. That said, literally everything else is a billion times cheaper. One of our favorite rums, Pyrat, is like $10 cheaper because the Puritans didn't make it out here. So . . . . . if you have any Colorado-specific beers to recommend I'm all ears?

Get better lambics. Also where are you shopping in Denver that St. Bernardus is $20 a bottle? Go somewhere else. A lot of Crooked Stave's stuff is tart, light and relatively complex. Maybe blood orange St. Bretta or something would work for the app. Or one of the fruited Surettes. Or you could get Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose off the shelf here, even if it's not Colorado-specific. There's also a few local berlinerweisses available, and more that aren't local. I might do something more funky and tart with the entree too, like a saison. I tend to like things more along that profile with rich/heavy food.

edit: also welcome to denver, one more foodgoon for the fold. What part of town are you in, and where have you eaten so far?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
It's true, I've only ever had Lindemans, but that's mostly because I stopped drinking lambics once I started to appreciate better beers. I am totally open to a better lambic recommendation, though!

I'm not East coast anymore, grav, I'm a transplant to Colorado and not familiar with what's out here, which is making pairings tougher. I also just don't like the kick-you-in-the-face hoppiness that so many breweries out here seem into. I like an IPA, I like flavorful hops, but I also like balance.

Edit:

Hauki posted:

Get better lambics. Also where are you shopping in Denver that St. Bernardus is $20 a bottle? Go somewhere else. A lot of Crooked Stave's stuff is tart, light and relatively complex. Maybe blood orange St. Bretta or something would work for the app. Or one of the fruited Surettes. Or you could get Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose off the shelf here, even if it's not Colorado-specific. There's also a few local berlinerweisses available, and more that aren't local. I might do something more funky and tart with the entree too, like a saison. I tend to like things more along that profile with rich/heavy food.

edit: also welcome to denver, one more foodgoon for the fold. What part of town are you in, and where have you eaten so far?

Argonaut on Colfax? I might be misremembering but I got sticker shock going through their imports. I've heard good things about crooked stave, I'll check that out along with your other recommendations, thanks! I'm in cap hill and I've been to Bones like 10 times, Lowdown brewery, freshcraft, cheeky monk is on the list along with like 18 other spots, we're just too broke to go out too much.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 11, 2015

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Nicol Bolas posted:

It's true, I've only ever had Lindemans, but that's mostly because I stopped drinking lambics once I started to appreciate better beers. I am totally open to a better lambic recommendation, though!

I'm not East coast anymore, grav, I'm a transplant to Colorado and not familiar with what's out here, which is making pairings tougher. I also just don't like the kick-you-in-the-face hoppiness that so many breweries out here seem into. I like an IPA, I like flavorful hops, but I also like balance.

It's all been said, but get a lindemans gueuze (or maybe timmermans) or the aforementioned Anderson valley blood orange gose (which is phenomenal) if you want to try those styles. Or as grav mentioned, a saison would be really nice. And that area of Colorado has quite a few decent breweries from what I recall when I was there last year (I WISH I lived there...) Left hand, new Belgium (lips of faith), great divide, fort Collins, just a few I know of that get wide distro and make some pretty good beers that might fit your liking. Crooked stave is really good stuff also.

Its funny that I had the total opposite impression of the new england and east coast brewing scene, a shitload of hop-heads out here (I'm in MD).

Hope you find something that works for you out there

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The hophead thing is just an american phenomenon. They taste hop forward beers like Pliny and think all you need to do is saturate your beer with a shitton of hops but there's more to it than that.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

GrAviTy84 posted:

proper lambics shouldn't be sweet at all.

If all you've ever had was lindeman's, you haven't had lambic.

What if I've had Lindemans and two or three other lambics and I only liked Lindeman's out of them :ohdear:

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Daeren posted:

What if I've had Lindemans and two or three other lambics and I only liked Lindeman's out of them :ohdear:

In my opinion, they are still good. Just for dessert. My favorite from them is probably the peach flavor. I had a banana flavored lambic the other day at a bar and it was amazingly good. Haven't ever seen it on a shelf though.

Yeah, the hophead thing and the bourbon barrel aging-thing are phenoms that I could do a little less with. I could drink sour and salty beers forever though, so I am glad that is the new wave.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

This has been covered but

Nicol Bolas posted:

I stopped drinking lambics once I started to appreciate better beers
:psypop:

There are great beers in every style, and well done lambics are some of the most nuanced and difficult to pull off. They're not everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine. But they're definitely in the "better beers" category. Aside from Lindemans, that stuff's the white zinfandel of the beer world.

Unlike white zin, though, Lindemans is delicious poured over ice cream.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

yeah wild beers are serious sperg level beer status, both for the maker and the consumer. I kind of hate that lindemanns and timmermans made the style equated with boring beer grade wine coolers.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

bartolimu posted:

Unlike white zin, though, Lindemans is delicious poured over ice cream.

:drat: like an amazing fruit-float

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If it wasn't so close to valentines, Id offer to send you a set of New Glarus sours. Theyre so drat :dong:

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah wild beers are serious sperg level beer status, both for the maker and the consumer. I kind of hate that lindemanns and timmermans made the style equated with boring beer grade wine coolers.

I had Timmermans limited oude gueuze a week ago or so and really enjoyed it. :shrug: Their pumpkin lambicus was also alright, at least interesting. Id drink either of those over some sweet bourbon bomb imperial stout any day.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Casu Marzu posted:

Also, todays hangover cure:

Pozole and cow udder tacos :snoop:

Served with a huge thing of onions and radishes and cilantro and fresh hab salsa and washed down with like 2L of horchata.

That looks awesome. What's the taste and texture of cow udder like??

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

That looks awesome. What's the taste and texture of cow udder like??

It has the texture of tongue and tastes kinda like heart? Maybe a not-so-livery liver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The thing is, it's just so hard to find the "right" beer. I pretty much like English milds, scotch ales, and Belgian table beers, but these things are impossible to find in the us. That's why I brew.