Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

webmeister posted:

Does book Jaime even know they're his kids? Obviously he'd have to suspect it, but offhand I can't recall him ever acknowledging it or the rumours. Show-Jaime seems to be aware of it though, given his reaction to Joffrey's death.

In ADWD I think he refers to them as a squirt of his seed in Cersei's oval office which is the worst thing I've ever been forced to retype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

webmeister posted:

Does book Jaime even know they're his kids? Obviously he'd have to suspect it, but offhand I can't recall him ever acknowledging it or the rumours. Show-Jaime seems to be aware of it though, given his reaction to Joffrey's death.

I don't have any passages to quote or reference here but I'm pretty sure he mentally refers to Tommen as his son at least once in AFFC

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

webmeister posted:

I thought he says they're all probably his to Catelyn while a prisoner in ACoK.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Andrew Verse posted:

Regarding Robert Strong and also Lady Stoneheart, from Bran's coma dreams in GoT:

The stone giant is obviously the Mountain, the empty helmet and darkness signifying that this is him after death, undead.

Man in the golden armor is Jaime.

The person with the terrible face of a hound is Brienne. The proper Hound is dead (though Sandor Clegane still lives). Her face has been mutilated and in the aftermath of the whole Lady Stoneheart thing, she's going to take the Hound's helmet from the member of the Brotherhood who currently has it to cover her injuries.

"Over them both" implies that both the golden man and the face of a hound are together when they encounter the undead stone giant. A symbolic meaning, such as the deeds of the Mountain casting a shadow on his little brother doesn't work because there's no such relationship between Jaime and the Mountain.

Therefore, I suspect that Brienne and Jaime will survive Lady Stoneheart, and then at some point they'll double-team Robert Strong.

Thank you so much for this post. I've only read the last two books once each, and I've missed things like this.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought the golden armored man dazzling like the sun was supposed to be Oberyn

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The sun is half of the Martell sigil yeah, but Oberyn is not really associated with beauty or gold or gleaming armor.

Jamie, on the other hand...

Tee hee "hand"

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Calaveron posted:

I thought the golden armored man dazzling like the sun was supposed to be Oberyn

Maybe I'm being too literal but Oberyn wore plain leather armor against Gregor, right? He had his metal shield but other than that I think Jaime fits the description much better. He's been described as wearing golden armor about a million times throughout the series.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I go back and forth between thinking the stone man in Bran's vision is Robert Strong or Littlefinger.

On one hand: a giant armoured man with an empty head full of black blood seems to be a literal description to The Mountain after being poisoned by manticore venom and resurrected without a head.

On the other hand: the armor is described as stone, which matches The Mountain but does not quite fit Robert Strong. Littlefinger's family sigil is the head of the Titan of Braavos, but his personal is Mockingbird. From an abstract perspective, he is a Titan without a head. Also, consider The Ghost of High Heart's vision that Sansa will slay a giant on a mountain, which probably refers to Littlefinger. She's not referring to Robin's doll that Sansa tore apart, because the Ghost of High Heart exclusively predicts things like the deaths of kings or the birth of the Prince that was Promised.

Plus, if you think of Brienne (I agree with Andrew Verse, she will inherit the Hound's helm) and Jaime's overall goal of rescuing Sansa, then that currently suggests that their opponent will be Littlefinger, not Robert Strong. I guess I lean more toward Littlefinger, but I admit that Robert Strong fits the prophecy very well.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Though seeing Brienne beat the Mountain might be cool because it helps Lady Stoneheart destroy the Lannisters, I think seeing Sandor beat the Mountain would have better weight to it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Andrew Verse posted:

Regarding Robert Strong and also Lady Stoneheart, from Bran's coma dreams in GoT:

The stone giant is obviously the Mountain, the empty helmet and darkness signifying that this is him after death, undead.

Man in the golden armor is Jaime.

The person with the terrible face of a hound is Brienne. The proper Hound is dead (though Sandor Clegane still lives). Her face has been mutilated and in the aftermath of the whole Lady Stoneheart thing, she's going to take the Hound's helmet from the member of the Brotherhood who currently has it to cover her injuries.

"Over them both" implies that both the golden man and the face of a hound are together when they encounter the undead stone giant. A symbolic meaning, such as the deeds of the Mountain casting a shadow on his little brother doesn't work because there's no such relationship between Jaime and the Mountain.

Therefore, I suspect that Brienne and Jaime will survive Lady Stoneheart, and then at some point they'll double-team Robert Strong.

Interesting take, if this is where GRRM want to take the plot then both Cersei and Zombie Mountain probably will make it to the last book. Cersei is such a good villain I hope she doesn't die early. and the Sandor Clegane arc in the book is over if he won't face off dead mountain.

loquacius posted:

Hadn't thought of this before but now it's the theory I'm rolling with since GRRM has a proven track-record of poisoned wish fulfillment like this (see: Theon becoming Reek; Joffrey and Shae's deaths actually being really tough to read; Gregor dying but taking Oberyn with him). I think the only comeuppances in the book that have been allowed to be really viscerally satisfying are Viserys' crown and Tywin's potty break.

I thoroughly enjoyed Joffrey's death. Great character, great exit.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 11, 2015

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

loquacius posted:

Hadn't thought of this before but now it's the theory I'm rolling with since GRRM has a proven track-record of poisoned wish fulfillment like this (see: Theon becoming Reek; Joffrey and Shae's deaths actually being really tough to read; Gregor dying but taking Oberyn with him). I think the only comeuppances in the book that have been allowed to be really viscerally satisfying are Viserys' crown and Tywin's potty break.

Despite everything Viserys did, I felt sorry for him when he died. Dude spent his whole childhood running city to city getting mocked while trying to care for himself and sister while at the same time trying to convince someone to take his kingdom back for him. Poor guy generally couldn't handle being humiliated and mocked and Drogo basically turned him into a clown to be mocked by his whole army. When Drogo tells him he'll give him his crown you can tell in the books and show he looks happy for once only to be brutally killed while likely pissing himself. Viserys was one lovely dude but it's obvious why he's lovely and it's hard not to feel sorry for him when hes begging Dany to save his life.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

BillBear posted:

Despite everything Viserys did, I felt sorry for him when he died. Dude spent his whole childhood running city to city getting mocked while trying to care for himself and sister while at the same time trying to convince someone to take his kingdom back for him. Poor guy generally couldn't handle being humiliated and mocked and Drogo basically turned him into a clown to be mocked by his whole army. When Drogo tells him he'll give him his crown you can tell in the books and show he looks happy for once only to be brutally killed while likely pissing himself. Viserys was one lovely dude but it's obvious why he's lovely and it's hard not to feel sorry for him when hes begging Dany to save his life.

I actually agree, he's a constantly-humiliated, mentally ill idiot. Had he actually succeeded in doing what he wanted he'd probably have been one of Westeros' greatest monsters, but as he was he was mostly pitiable.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
From what little we know about Viserys I think he would have been a much better ruler than Joffrey. Sure, Viserys was a spoiled brat most of the time but he wasn't nearly as cruel as Joffrey. And when he was cruel it was at least for a reason, albeit a self-centered one whereas Joffrey delighted in it. Although it's not really that hard to make a case for anybody as king when comparing to Joffrey.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I don't know, there's a passage in GoT where Viserys and Jorah are talking about slavery and Viserys basically says he'd bring back slavery to Westeros because it's natural. I mean maybe he isn't quite as sadistic as Joffrey but in some respects I think King Viserys would have been worse. At least Joffrey had Tywin and Tyrion blunting his worst excesses.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BillBear posted:

By the same token I couldn't take much satisfaction in Tywin's death, since he was one of the few genuinely intelligent, effective leaders on the continent.

He's a character that's spent his life doing awful things but is incredibly hard to outright hate. Whereas people like Joffrey and Viserys are just spoilt children who were raised terribly, and were put in an unfortunate position of power (or perceived power in Viserys' case), but they're incredibly easy to despise.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

In ADWD I think he refers to them as a squirt of his seed in Cersei's oval office which is the worst thing I've ever been forced to retype.

The American Tolkien! The American Tolkien!

Beeez
May 28, 2012

lifts cats over head posted:

From what little we know about Viserys I think he would have been a much better ruler than Joffrey. Sure, Viserys was a spoiled brat most of the time but he wasn't nearly as cruel as Joffrey. And when he was cruel it was at least for a reason, albeit a self-centered one whereas Joffrey delighted in it. Although it's not really that hard to make a case for anybody as king when comparing to Joffrey.

I say Viserys could have been Westeros' greatest monsters because the Targaryens go Bond Villain with their schemes sometimes. All the literal fires they've started or almost started trying to hatch dragons or turn themselves into dragons, plus the way they have often spit in the face of even the most basic social laws in Westeros, makes me think a Viserys with real power and an axe to grind over the humiliation he suffered would be a real nightmare.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
As soon as Arya started training-but-not-really to be a Faceless Man, and there is also a fake Arya Stark running around, I completely assumed that her graduation/first mission would be 'Kill Arya Stark' and that's how she'd get back to Westeros.

Given Mercy I don't think she'll be getting missions from the Faceless Men, but between Jon/Stannis' deals with the Iron Bank of Braavos and Stannis' mercenary fleet I expect her to end up in the north for the ghostwritten endgame in 2019.

Hopefully she won't fall in love with Jon though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Vitamin P posted:

Hopefully she won't fall in love with Jon though.

Speak for yourself :quagmire:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If the bringing together of Ice and Fire is Jon and Arya I will laugh and then throw the book over my shoulder and forever think of ASOIAF as going the way of LOST or The Dark Tower

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
D&D will say "gently caress that", but GRRM will go ahead and write it into Book 7.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Beeez posted:

I say Viserys could have been Westeros' greatest monsters because the Targaryens go Bond Villain with their schemes sometimes. All the literal fires they've started or almost started trying to hatch dragons or turn themselves into dragons, plus the way they have often spit in the face of even the most basic social laws in Westeros, makes me think a Viserys with real power and an axe to grind over the humiliation he suffered would be a real nightmare.

That's a good point. Viserys would definitely have a chip on his shoulder which wouldn't bode well for pretty much any house with Baratheon allegiance.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Lycus posted:

D&D will say "gently caress that", but GRRM will go ahead and write it into Book 7.

Sometimes I wonder what it'd look like if GRRM got D&D to go along with some of his worst excesses, or if he took the series into unavoidably strange directions in the last two books and the show-runners had to squirm about deliberately changing course - a Jon-and-Arya relationship would definitely qualify. Just knowing that's what GRRM was thinking when he first laid out a Game of Thrones sort of taints their close sibling relationship scenes at the start of the series.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Dear god i can't wait until people forget about that stupid document or whatevr it is

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

whalestory posted:

Dear god i can't wait until people forget about that stupid document or whatevr it is

People never forget anything, they just use it as fuel for more stupid theories that just degenerate into madlibs of bullshit in which it's eventually posited that every possible combination of characters and various actions will occur.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do you guys think GRRM is hiding a secret behind Lyanna Stark, besides the usual R+L stuff?

At this point, I think there are very few surprise cards GRRM have left up his sleeves. The other thing I haven't figured out is how will the series resolve the final "The Others" invasion. Do you guys have any theory about it. Is it going to link up all the mythical stuff the series causally mentioned over the decades? Bran the Builder? Red God? Children of the Forrest? All come out in the final brawl?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The only other interesting thing about Lyanna Stark is that she's the Knight of the Laughing Tree, which is kind of related to R+L=J because that incident is what put her into Rhaegar's field of view.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Her being the knight of the laughing tree also cements her relationship with Howland Reed, and I've always liked the theory that Jon and Meera are secret twins, if only because it adds more incest to the story (Bran wants to go Kevin Gates and gently caress his cousin).

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 12, 2015

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Who bought GRRM an account?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This document deciphering is one step away from the loving Bible Code and somehow more pathetic.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

ruddiger posted:

Jon and Meera are secret twins

How in the hell is that a possibility other than age?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Presumably Ned's sister gave birth to them and to protect them Ned took one and Howland took the other, since they were together at the Tower of Joy when she died.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
And I guess it's attractive to some people because it's a three-Targaryen theory that allows Aegon to be fake (or non-existent) and Tyrion to not be a secret Targ.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

the final twist will be that this was star wars all along

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The evidence for Meera as a Jon's twin is:

- Lyanna died giving birth so she might have had twins.
- Alfie Allen described Jon's parentage as a"Star Wars situation". People take it literally.
- Meera doesn't look as much like crannogman as Jojen.
- Jon and Meera are the same age.
- Kit Harrington (Jon) and Ellie Kendrick (Meera) look similar in the show.

It's not great. People love making Lyanna give birth to two or three kids. I've seen Darkstar suggested as a third child.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

e: beaten.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

The evidence for Meera as a Jon's twin is:

- Lyanna died giving birth so she might have had twins.
- Alfie Allen described Jon's parentage as a"Star Wars situation". People take it literally.
- Meera doesn't look as much like crannogman as Jojen.
- Jon and Meera are the same age.
- Kit Harrington (Jon) and Ellie Kendrick (Meera) look similar in the show.

It's not great. People love making Lyanna give birth to two or three kids. I've seen Darkstar suggested as a third child.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Darkstar is of the night. The night is dark. Shadows are also dark. Shadows are spawned from light, like from a fire. Rhaegar is a Targaryen. Targaryens are connected to fire. DARKSTAR IS A SHADOW BABY!

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Anti-Hero posted:

I wonder how they wiil bump off show Jaime, in that case?

I think he's going to take the place of Arys Oakheart and get killed by Areo Hotah.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

If this theory is right why would Alfie Allen be privileged to that info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

If this theory is right why would Alfie Allen be privileged to that info?

http://www.vulture.com/2012/06/game-of-thrones-theon-alfie-allen-interview.html?imw=Y

• Locked thread