Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are backpacks really useful for military now? I stopped using them years ago because military dwarfs seem to go to the dining room to eat anyway, they wouldn't eat standing up until they were starving, so carrying food saved no time at all. And if I set them to carry 2 or 3 pieces of food they'd tend to pick up a stack of identical meals, and then later complain about eating the same old food again.

Then there was the hilarity of rotting meal miasma. If a military dwarf dropped the backpack for any reason (usually due to being rotated off active duty) the meal would fall out of the backpack. No one would pick it up because it was owned. The dwarf that owned it would only pick it up if he owned a chest to store it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Angela Christine posted:

Are backpacks really useful for military now? I stopped using them years ago because military dwarfs seem to go to the dining room to eat anyway, they wouldn't eat standing up until they were starving, so carrying food saved no time at all. And if I set them to carry 2 or 3 pieces of food they'd tend to pick up a stack of identical meals, and then later complain about eating the same old food again.

Then there was the hilarity of rotting meal miasma. If a military dwarf dropped the backpack for any reason (usually due to being rotated off active duty) the meal would fall out of the backpack. No one would pick it up because it was owned. The dwarf that owned it would only pick it up if he owned a chest to store it in.

I put a chest in my barracks and my soldiers started stuffing it with rotting donkey brain roasts.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Backpacks still have that problem, I believe. Nobody should have to go without a canteen full of rum, though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Sand bags really should be more than 1 embark point, considering you get a free bag even if you don't want the sand. Tsk.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

gently caress, I FINALLY figured out how to get MDF warlocks to actually feed their prisoners - the Dungeon Cell building does not work at all as far as I can tell, they just starve even though I have all the prisoners pastured on top of it and I run the reaction "Feed prisoners" multiple times - but if you stick them in a cage then your civ units will uust bring food to them :doh:

This has been such a huge roadblock for me, because if you don't have any prisoners at all you just kind of stagnate, the overlord poo poo doesn't seem to work at all without prisoners.

e: or maybe not, gently caress

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 11, 2015

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Awhile back I asked how a complete newbie would get started, and I was told that a new version came out and it's super buggy and come back later. So now it's later, and I presume everything's bug-free, right? :shobon:

Realistically, are things stable enough to not chase off a new player who's played derivatives like Gnomoria and Banished? Is Lazy Newb Pack + "read the tutorial on page one of this thread" still the way to go?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah, this is as good a time as any to get started. Seek Captain Duck, he shows you things.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh, I actually got the dumb Warlock Dungeon Cell to feed my prisoners, I guess it has a smaller radius than I expected? I defined the pasture zone to be actually inside the building and that worked.

e: yeah it's consistent, hooray

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 11, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I'm looking to get into embarking/building in more hostile areas than just the usual Calm ones I've always done, but have heard a lot of horror stories of having to deal with endless undead and random weather and all that Fun.

Would something like this:

be a decent embark location in terms of having to deal with a bunch of enemies/monsters but not getting completely overwhelmed a week in? I checked the area and there's no miasma cloud, just a bunch of dead sand/ground that covers like half the starting area but leaves plenty of room in the green embark zone to build. Does the evil biome expand? Would it eventually kill all trees/grass in the area and leave me surrounded by a bunch of lovely weather/diseases to deal with?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Evil bogs are just evil bogs. The trees and wildlife can be in various states of dead. You can't know in advance if the area is known for spontaneous reanimation or facemelter rain, but that's the risk you take.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wish terrifying biomes wouldn't have the rain or reanimation stuff, just lots of dangerous monsters like ogres and harpies. Sometimes I want wildlife more threatening then a giant hamster, but I don't want to deal with reanimation or not getting caravans because the acid rain melted them all down.

EDIT: Like if haunted reanimated and terrifying both reanimated and had hosed up weather, and sinister just had evil creatures.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 11, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e: Ignore me, I misread the graphics.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

I wish terrifying biomes wouldn't have the rain or reanimation stuff, just lots of dangerous monsters like ogres and harpies. Sometimes I want wildlife more threatening then a giant hamster, but I don't want to deal with reanimation or not getting caravans because the acid rain melted them all down.

EDIT: Like if haunted reanimated and terrifying both reanimated and had hosed up weather, and sinister just had evil creatures.

This is a great idea and I am surprised there has not been some sort of modification which allows you to set it or snoop for it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Can't you set "evil cloud" and "evil rain" types to 0 in the worldgen ini? I thought that's what those were there for.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prop Wash posted:

Can't you set "evil cloud" and "evil rain" types to 0 in the worldgen ini? I thought that's what those were there for.

Presumably he wants to be able to have them generate in a world but selectively avoid or choose them on embark.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

scamtank posted:

Evil bogs are just evil bogs. The trees and wildlife can be in various states of dead. You can't know in advance if the area is known for spontaneous reanimation or facemelter rain, but that's the risk you take.

There is a huge amount of variety in evil biomes though, dead/undead stuff seems to be about 50/50. Sometimes I get an evil biome that doesn't seem to have any actual features at all, except the animals that come in. Sometimes I don't get clouds, sometimes the clouds are like, fatal gas, sometimes the cloud will turn living stuff into undead thralls (or non-undead thralls, I think I got that once).

e: that variety may be part of the changes in Masterwork though, I haven't touched vanilla in a long time.

Of the 22 orcish prisoners I embarked with in my current hellhole, 5 still survive, and are constantly beating each other. They are all tootlhess from the constant brawl. It's adorable. :3:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 12, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leal posted:

You can do that if you generate from complex parameters. It isn't as hard as it looks. I made a post a while back explaining most of the important bits available in the impenetrable world generation options screens.

Angela Christine posted:

Regional interaction, Disturbance, Evil Cloud and (on the next screen) Evil Rain change the side effects of evil biome types. If you used to enjoy evil biomes but hate them now, these things are the culprit. So if you enjoy dealing with harpies and skeletal carp like it used to be, but you don't enjoy husk zombies or having your refuse pile come back to life, changing these to None will give you back the old style evil zones.

You can't divide it up by terrifying and sinister, it either exists in the world or it doesn't. That should only be a problem if for some reason you want to make multiple forts in evil zones in the same world and want them to have different effects, and that probably doesn't come up often.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

It is actually quite doable, even with the rain. What you do is dig a network of three tile wide tunnels either one or two z levels down and have entrances all around the borders of the map that caravans can very quickly duck into shortly after arriving. This way over 90% of caravans will survive to trade and depart.

Just be sure to run everyone through a mister on the way in, because they can track in murder rain substances. Please adhere to strict quarantine protocols for new arrivals (Possibly including having them toss their shoes down a shaft into magma).

The funniest thing for me was that if I kept the doors properly locked, entire siege forces would just die in the rain.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Reworking assembly code status: weaponrack-unassign is ready to go in binpatch format, but armorstand-capacity is throwing up a conflict that's for a different random address with every single restart. :shepface:

e: It... went through. I may have fixed this thing. Stand by.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 12, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

STATUS FROM THE TOAD OH BOY

Toady One posted:

Was hoping to have an update on poetry and so on by now, but we'll have to be content with continuing to iron out problems with pieces of musical instruments and their jobs and so on. Hopefully things will be settled soon!

Oh. Also I can't make this thing stop crashing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pickled Tink posted:

The funniest thing for me was that if I kept the doors properly locked, entire siege forces would just die in the rain.

I have had maps like this, with something in the entire biome (which was a massive sea of purple on the worldmap) that was toxic to most forms of life and stuff would just join the edge of the map, stagger around a bit and suffocate. Felt too much like cheating though, and also it was a huge pain to collect all that poo poo from the edge of the map.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I played this game years ago, and I remember being thoroughly confused by the incomprehensible ascii and tile sets that reused a bunch of things for a bunch of stuff, and well, pretty much everything else. I've been playing Gnomoria a lot, but it's just not scratching the itch as much as I want it to, so I'm looking to get back into this again.

I see the OP hasn't been updated in almost a year, but there's been video tutorials posted in the last couple of pages. which guides are preferred for scared newbies looking to get into this for the first time?

Also, I remember reading something about... I think it was called Stonesense, that did a complete visual overhaul and made the game into an isometric 3D sort of experience much like Gnomoria. Is that still around?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

Getting started!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622 This is the Starter Pack for DF2014. It includes the game itself, plus utilities like stonesound (for customized sounds!), stonesense (the isometric visualizer), dhack (for unshitting your game), and dwarf therapist (for employment opportunities).

SA's own Capt. Duck is doing a video tutorial for DF2014 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouDiKXYeqeY

The DF wiki is still a good resource though not entirely up to date yet, but it has the Quickstart Guide: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I played this game years ago, and I rememb
Also, I remember reading something about... I think it was called Stonesense, that did a complete visual overhaul and made the game into an isometric 3D sort of experience much like Gnomoria. Is that still around?

Stonesense is an out-game visualizer, but DFHack now has this awesome multi-level rendering built in. Top down only but it's really nice-looking for what it is. It's gratifying to drop a dude into a 20-z level pit and watch him gradually fade out and then switch down to the ground and watch him splatter.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you set Population Cap to zero you won't get any more migrants after the first two waves right? That'd be nice?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That's the conventional wisdom. the STRICT popcap might curb even those two.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks, I'll start looking at the videos once I get out of work.

Flesh Forge posted:

Stonesense is an out-game visualizer, but DFHack now has this awesome multi-level rendering built in. Top down only but it's really nice-looking for what it is. It's gratifying to drop a dude into a 20-z level pit and watch him gradually fade out and then switch down to the ground and watch him splatter.
Wait, out-game visualizer, as in you can't play with it running? That's disappointing if true. On the one hand, having multi-level rendering has tons of utility for the sake of planning, but on the other, an isometric view is what I'm used to from Gnomoria, and the tiles for everything are probably pretty unique and therefore not as confusing.

I know that one of those utilities allows for mouse control in the game, but are there any right-click context menus, or is it all shortcut memorization? I skimmed a few pages as I went through the thread and kept seeing things like "press D, then alt+J, then Shift+I, etc. etc" to do different things, which made my eyes glaze over instantly in a really odd way.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Stonesense runs in a separate window, with most of the input action going on in the traditional top-down view.

The mouse control is mostly about smoothing over the really obnoxious poo poo like wiggling the loo[K]-cursor around with the arrow keys. There's a few advances, but you're still diving into the quagmire that is the DF UI.

Don't worry, you only need to wring your frontal lobe through the learn-me-an-interface mangle once and then it stops hurting.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 12, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

scamtank posted:

Stonesense runs in a separate window, with most of the input action going on in the traditional top-down view.

The mouse control is mostly about smoothing over the really obnoxious poo poo like moving the loo[K]-cursor around instead of wiggling it around with the arrow keys. There's a few advances, but you're still diving into the quagmire that is the DF UI.

Don't worry, you only need to wring your frontal lobe through the learn-me-an-interface mangle once and then it stops hurting.

Dammit. I wonder how hard it would be to mod in context menus? Even if it was like "mouse over this thing, then hit this button to display a menu of available options or something, it'd be better for me than having to write a list out of all the shortcuts, which is what I'll have to do. I'm utterly poo poo at memorizing keypress shortcuts. :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

While comparisons have certainly been made, this isn't like a Linux text editor where there's no indication on what button you press to do a thing. There are actual menus.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you're thinking about trying to mid mod in menus strictly for your own use, I can't see that being easier or quicker to get through than just learning the menus and keystrokes, which aren't really THAT bad.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 12, 2015

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For example, the four different keystrokes on the main menu that let you examine something in four different ways. Do you want to look, view, query, or whatever the gently caress t is supposed to stand for?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I think that's con[T]ents. Not saying that it isn't nucking futs.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got it! T is for [T]ell Me What's Inside This Building.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

[t]ake from

or wait that's stockpiles or something

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, see, those 4 posts above this one are what make me worry.

scamtank posted:

While comparisons have certainly been made, this isn't like a Linux text editor where there's no indication on what button you press to do a thing. There are actual menus.

Well hopefully they're somewhat logically organized. Wait, this is Dwarf Fortress I'm talking about.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, see, those 4 posts above this one are what make me worry.

Well hopefully they're somewhat logically organized. Wait, this is Dwarf Fortress I'm talking about.

As if Gnomoria is logically organized / playable at all?

If your posts end up being "Waah why can't I do x thing in DF that I could in <lovely pale imitation game>" you should reconsider your desire to learn DF and just go get the newest version of the Sims.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gibbo posted:

just go get the newest version of the Sims.

No, don't. Go with Sims 2, you can make an argument with Sims 3 but I'd highly recommend 2. Don't get 4.

E: Really, I'd recommend getting sims 1 over 4.

Angela Christine posted:

You can do that if you generate from complex parameters. It isn't as hard as it looks. I made a post a while back explaining most of the important bits available in the impenetrable world generation options screens.

You can't divide it up by terrifying and sinister, it either exists in the world or it doesn't. That should only be a problem if for some reason you want to make multiple forts in evil zones in the same world and want them to have different effects, and that probably doesn't come up often.

Thats actually good to know, thanks.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Everything you can do is always listed on the right side of the screen for you. There's no memorizing complex, fighting game-style combos to do stuff. That's just something that'll happen naturally when you play the game a lot. Also the DF Wiki thoughtfully and helpfully has the button commands/combos for almost every action listed right on the page so you don't have to go look it up separately or anything.

The interface isn't exactly great, but wrapping your head around how the actual game works and how to make "progress" is the much bigger challenge of diving in. This quickstart guide was pretty decent for me when I got back into this game after not playing for like a year and a half. Just ignore the gigantic terrifying flow-chart at the very beginning that they included for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Leal posted:

No, don't. Go with Sims 2, you can make an argument with Sims 3 but I'd highly recommend 2. Don't get 4.

E: Really, I'd recommend getting sims 1 over 4.

Ahahahaha, Sims 4 is a great game, miles and miles above TS2.