Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lycus posted:

He said no script this season because he's got a book to write, maybe.

And funnily enough, Wikipedia lists AFFC and ADWD for Season 5 under it's Adaptation Schedule sub-heading on the show's article page. Season 6 literally lists TBD as it's "Novel Adapted" entry.

They know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kavak posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/utrz

This is half the reason I read this thread, just to post this when it's asked for. The other half is watching Der Gurm self-destruct, naturally.

Holy poo poo this is actually amazing.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
People were talking about GRRM's 'subversion of tropes' a few pages ago: if ASOIAF can teach anything, it's why classic storytelling structures are just that. The series' biggest issue to me (beyond the misogyny so many deep nerds fall into) is that it reeks of contempt, of someone who's consumed so much fantasy he's grown familiarity-disgusted with it, and hence he set out to make up a world and story that went against everything that 'shouldn't happen' because of X, Y, and Z cynical reasons. He pulled it off for a bit, but eventually his attempt to turn every traditional way of telling a fantasy-based story on its head broke the wheels off the cart and we all see the result. Which just goes to show you; classics are classics for a reason, no matter how many people misuse them or use them to churn out dull pape.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My fear is that he's got the taste of being the 'convention-breaking' guy and getting acclaim for it and in the end he's gonna be all 'IN A CLASSIC FANTASY SERIES ALL THE CLUES WOULD'VE PAID OFF! gently caress YOOOOOOU! THIS AIN'T YO PAPA'S FANTASY! R+L=poo poo! CERSEI RULES TO AGE 90 AND THEN TRIPS DOWN THE STAIRS! gently caress YOU!"

Then again that would imply an actual end.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dany retakes Westeros and burns the Others and the surviving Starks all that the same time, then trips and falls face-first into the Iron Throne on her first time ascending to it, killing herself instantly via impalement.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's not even convention breaking. It's just GRRM tricks you by prolonging the cliché so it's 2 movies in instead of the first 10 minutes.

Ned Stark is the admirable mentor-father who is killed by the villain but not before imparting his wisdom to his child(ren), who swear vengeance.
Winterfell is the peaceful but doomed town raided by the villain to mark the end of innocence.

Someone posted that we're led to believe that Ned Stark is the victorious detective (well sort of) ala Sherlock Holmes when he's actually a noir detective, who finds himself tackling a shadowy conspiracy that is beyond him and which inevitably consumes him.

Also he 100% ripped off Ned Stark's role in AGOT from a comicbook he read when he was 12.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Lycus posted:

He said no script this season because he's got a book to write, maybe.

I think the reason might be that it would be very awkward for him (and everyone else probably) if he had to ask the writers of the TV series which way the story is supposed to go.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I love that he is no longer writing scripts for episodes that are past where he is in the books. It makes it seem as if he is literally incapable of writing past the point he has reached, even if it's in the form of a TV script.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
I guess to give George the benefit of the doubt with how different the series is going from his books now (Jaime in Dorne!?) it would be probably tough for him to write an actual episode.

But that is being nice. What an absolute fucker. It's tough for him to write ANYTHING at this point.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
If he would just be real and admit he's having trouble keeping track of all the plot threads and details and he's having a hard time adjusting his original story to a satisfying conclusion, then I think he'd be getting way less hate.

Hell, if he up and said "I'm done; its pizza and poon town for me" then ok.

Just stop pretending to be an author anymore and drop the defensive "I'm not your bitch! It'll be done when it's done go jets" crap.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
It's probably not that tough for him on that basis, dude seems to jump on a chance to do anything that's not the main ASOIAF books. See: running a movie theatre, buy an old bowling alley to convert for use by an art collective, editing Wild Cards, writing Rogue Prince/tPatQ, helping with TWOIAF, writing countless blog posts on football and nipples...

Jesus, he really does not want to finish the books.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

You know, I loving still love that Robb would have been the hero prince->king in any other series, but the focus was deliberately kept off of him because that poo poo is dumb most of the time, and though the plot demanded it, the Red Wedding was still a bold, awesome thing to do.

It felt like Jon was still getting the typical fantasy/animu treatment of 'can't do anything wrong, every choice serves to show how he's predestined to be awesome' sort of bullshit. Still feels like it, actually.

Ague Proof posted:

Someone posted that we're led to believe that Ned Stark is the victorious detective (well sort of) ala Sherlock Holmes when he's actually a noir detective, who finds himself tackling a shadowy conspiracy that is beyond him and which inevitably consumes him.

Yeah, this is awesome though. His main accomplishment, really, is bringing other tropes and events culled from other fiction and actual history and applying it to genre staples, and when he's done it right, it's worked. There's still a comic booky sense of fun in the whole thing, reveling in its environment (feasts, worldbuilding, ninja-assassin training, d and d esque lands), but there's also poo poo like 'the heroes don't get to win, not without suffering a whole lot, and they are not who you think. Which is what I missed most of the time in the last two books and probably will in the next, uh, half-finished chapter releases.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Oh, and the stair that kills Cersei? Its nickname is valonqar.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Marge sends Cersei and Qyburn to the wall after Robert Strong turns out to be an abomination. Val the Wilding? Her last name is Onqar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cornwind Evil posted:

People were talking about GRRM's 'subversion of tropes' a few pages ago: if ASOIAF can teach anything, it's why classic storytelling structures are just that. The series' biggest issue to me (beyond the misogyny so many deep nerds fall into) is that it reeks of contempt, of someone who's consumed so much fantasy he's grown familiarity-disgusted with it, and hence he set out to make up a world and story that went against everything that 'shouldn't happen' because of X, Y, and Z cynical reasons. He pulled it off for a bit, but eventually his attempt to turn every traditional way of telling a fantasy-based story on its head broke the wheels off the cart and we all see the result. Which just goes to show you; classics are classics for a reason, no matter how many people misuse them or use them to churn out dull pape.

Except that he hasn't subverted tropes at all, that's literally just a marketing gimmick.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's subverting subversion.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

It's been said before, but he has very masterfully subverted the trope that an author should write.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
He also subverted the trope that books should have a climax

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Cornwind Evil posted:

churn out dull paperape.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
also i dont think pape is a word now that i think about it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
For years upon years you silly fantasy fans have expected that you would pay for a book and get all of it within 11 years of your life. NOPE! Ha ha! What a card I am. A wild card that is. ;)

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
On the topic of fantasy cliches, I totally love them and was having trouble reading through the series a couple years ago because of that. A friend of mine pushed me forward by totally lying to me about what happened after the Red Wedding. Namely she told me that Robb's corpse got revived after having his wolf's head sewn onto his body, resulting in a dumb half-wolf half-man thing who would have a punch fight with Jon at the top of the wall for some very metal reason.

I may have been an idiot for believing in that, but I'm definitely an idiot for still very much wishing that happened. I mean it would have been the dumbest thing even and ruined the most memorable moment in the series but, still.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 10, 2015

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hopeford posted:

On the topic of fantasy cliches, I totally love them and was having trouble reading through the series a couple years ago because of that. A friend of mine pushed me forward by totally lying to me about what happened after the Red Wedding. Namely she told me that Robb's corpse got revived after having his wolf's head sewn onto his body, resulting in a dumb half-wolf half-man thing who would have a punch fight with Jon at the top of the wall for some very metal reason.

I may have been an idiot for believing in that, but I'm definitely an idiot for still very much wishing that happened. I mean it would have been the dumbest thing even and ruined the most memorable moment in the series but, still.

One of the hilariously dumb theories is that Qyburn replaced Gregor's head with Robb's to make Ser Robert Strong (Stark means 'strong' in German).

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

For years upon years you silly fantasy fans have expected that you would pay for a book and get all of it within 11 years of your life. NOPE! Ha ha! What a card I am. A wild card that is. ;)

As comparison, Neal Asher did an AMA and revealed that he had already finished off his last trilogy before the first book in the series was published.

Nowadays I am just looking forward to how irrelevant GRRM is going to be once the TV series has ended. Cause there is no way it is going to end in a good way.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

fanged wang posted:

Sorry, pap. If I was writing a book, this is where having an editor is useful.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kavak posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/utrz

This is half the reason I read this thread, just to post this when it's asked for. The other half is watching Der Gurm self-destruct, naturally.

hha loving thanks.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hopeford posted:

Its possible. I thought for a while, once Cat came back, that there might be some sort of neverwar at the end of all this, with all the undead fighting on one side ( Zombie Robb / Ser Robert Strong with Ned's head / Mecha Tree Bran / etc )

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

fanged wang posted:

To exude pap.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ague Proof posted:

One of the hilariously dumb theories is that Qyburn replaced Gregor's head with Robb's to make Ser Robert Strong (Stark means 'strong' in German).

I like this. Who's tits did he sew on him to make the zombie mountain rapeable?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like this. Who's tits did he sew on him to make the zombie mountain rapeable?

Why do you think Qyburn kept asking for women?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Ague Proof posted:

Why do you think Qyburn kept asking for women?

He's more tit than man now...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SaviourX posted:

It felt like Jon was still getting the typical fantasy/animu treatment of 'can't do anything wrong, every choice serves to show how he's predestined to be awesome' sort of bullshit. Still feels like it, actually.

I'm not sure you're reading the same series as the rest of us. Jon's pretty consistently showing himself to be an idiot and a short tempted brat. He gets pissed because he's told a rider is coming from Winterfell and he assumes it's Arya and when it isn't he throws a fit about being mislead, is told he injected Arya in to it himself as wishful thinking, and then instead of realizing he's being told things that are true, ignores them and gets what he deserved.

Just like how Targaryeans tend to be crazy due to inbreeding, I think excess exposure to the cold causes Stark men to suffer brain damage.

Or that GRRM defies convention in any way when writing. Robb wasn't the destined hero to right the wrongs, he was hubris.txt wrapped in some furs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
he also gives a speech about how hes foresaking his oaths and deserting the wall and then is surprised when he gets stabbed

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Hmm, knives in the dark eh? That's pretty vague. Not really sure what to take away from that.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
doesnt it explicitly state in the extremely explicit prophesies that robert strong has no head under his helmet

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not sure you're reading the same series as the rest of us. Jon's pretty consistently showing himself to be an idiot and a short tempted brat.

In ADWD, sure. And even earlier, but the thing is, his idiot choices and 'I wanna be the guy' behaviour get him to be: champ of the new recruits, super secret agent spy, redhead-wildling-banger, castle defender, and lord loving commander. And now because he's an idiot, he can be reborn-warg-master prince Neo guy. I dunno, it's the Adama effect where even though the character frets and haws over how hard or questionable their choices are, it always ends up turning out okay (stabbings/shootings are temporary setbacks).

As for Gurm, someone pointed out in the Better Call Saul thread why it is that Vince Gilligan turns out a good show (or story), and it's because:

quote:

1) Always make it a team effort and encourage people to speak up and change your ideas
2) Start at the destination and write the story back to that point, working out the middle as you go along so you always know where you're going
3) If you hit a plot stopping point try to look at the show's history to find something to help the situation rather than just making up new stuff all the time

And it's so godamn obvious George doesn't do any of those anymore. Especially, especially number 3. You don't need every little detail figured, but you don't have to hamstring yourself on a meereenese knot and then just keep throwing new poo poo on the pile.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

fanged wang posted:

doesnt it explicitly state in the extremely explicit prophesies that robert strong has no head under his helmet

Probably just a pile of tits mashed into a vague head shape like something you'd see in Silent Hill 2.

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008
I don't understand how all the bigwigs at King's Landing are cool that a member of the Kingsguard is a literal undead monster. They sent Gregor's head to Dorne, right? There's no way he's surprise! alive or anything. Nope, just a zombie monster protecting the king, that's cool with everyone?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Zinc Teeth posted:

I don't understand how all the bigwigs at King's Landing are cool that a member of the Kingsguard is a literal undead monster. They sent Gregor's head to Dorne, right? There's no way he's surprise! alive or anything. Nope, just a zombie monster protecting the king, that's cool with everyone?

It's pretty explicitly stated that the people at King's Landing really *aren't* cool with an undead monster being on the Kingsguard, and as we learned in the epilogue other members of the Kingsguard are questioning it and Tarly is questioning it - hell, even Mace Tyrell seemed a bit uncomfortable, but he obviously doesn't *really* give a poo poo and is far more concerned with rebuilding the Tower of the Hand to be bigger and more comfortable as well as insuring his daughter's safety (which he has certainly done).

Th reason "the bigwigs" are cool with it is because Kevan Lannister is Lord Regent and in practice has been acting as King, and *he* was the one who appointed Robert Strong and nobody is going to openly challenge him. But even so, as we saw Tarly was making noise about it and probably the entire castle is, too. The interesting question is what'll happen now that Kevan's been murdered, and who is going to fill the power vacuum and seize control of King's Landing? That's honestly one of the most interesting cliffhangers. The easy answer would seem to be Mace Tyrell, but he's stupid and not a player and easily manipulated and I'm not sure who'll be whispering in his ear. Littlefinger will be furious that he wasn't at King's Landing at this exact moment when everyone is so vulnerable. I would almost not be surprised to see the High Septon assume the title of Regent - would be a fascinating turn of events and something tells me he wouldn't be as cool with a rumored zombie as Cersei's champion, naturally.

I mean, it seems really obvious that Robert Strong is going to be exposed soon, the question is really "how" and what will the repercussions be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ah...