Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pixaal posted:

Sony seems big on the hype early hype train recently. It just fizzles out if the alpha / beta are too long unless the alpha / beta are about balance (see recent Blizzard games where they basically have people streaming for 6 months with low access for the public). If there isn't content that is solid you end up killing the hype train, if you gate everything behind NDAs and limited access and the content isn't solid you end up with... whatever the hell this is.

Even if Landmark ends up as a better minecraft it's not going to reach the popularity it should because of the lack of direction and lack of being well a game before alpha started. It's like they made the public Alpha what an internal Alpha should be, which isn't a good idea most of the time.

Or they thought they could get the minecraft lightning to strike twice (it doesn't), I mean, it worked for Notch, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DeathSandwich posted:

Or they thought they could get the minecraft lightning to strike twice (it doesn't), I mean, it worked for Notch, right?

The only reason Minecraft Alpha worked was creative mode with infinite bricks. It also was unique at the time, unique things can be extra lovely and make money. You can make it strike twice, you just have to release something that is better you can't start where the previous thing started. That would be like trying to release a game that was WoW at release, some people would be nostalgic but if it's not a WoW emu server completing the nostalgia so much has improved that you just wont do well. Probably because monthly fee MMOs are kind of dead right now too many F2P stuff out there.

I'm not sure if marketing pushed them to go live this early, but it kind of is a marketing thing but this early feels like a dev or executive decision and not marketing. So whoever decided that killed the game(s). I think if the game wasn't announced until they were ready to launch a year later, had a 3-6 month "alpha" with a 3-6 month beta after a 1-3 month teaser period the hype train could have worked fine. Basically we shouldn't know this game is in production other then maybe a few small teasers of we are making a game about building stuff with no screenshots. Look at how long we knew "Titan" was a thing by Blizzard (and it was canned). We don't know much about that other then assets are probably getting reused. Being mysterious keeps the magic and works as early hype.

I just don't get big studios trying to do the indie thing of release early, which indie has to do because they don't have the money to continue production its a huge gamble. It also works a bit better with indie since they are an unknown company and people tend to be a bit more sympathetic and want to give them money. Who wants to give any wiggle room for mess ups to a company that is traded on the stock market and has over 1B in trade value?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Landmark is nothing at all even close to Minecraft. Unfortunately =/.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
There never was and never will be an EQ Next. They spent their entire budget on sand art and a minecraft mod, and it duped thousands of people into paying close to a hundred dollars to play a beta for a game other than the one they actually want. JohnSmedley is a master scammer, this non-existant and never will be game should be #1 in the hearts of goons everywhere.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The sad part is it's probably true.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

There never was and never will be an EQ Next. They spent their entire budget on sand art and a minecraft mod, and it duped thousands of people into paying close to a hundred dollars to play a beta for a game other than the one they actually want. JohnSmedley is a master scammer, this non-existant and never will be game should be #1 in the hearts of goons everywhere.

Except you can get a refund anytime you want. That's what I did.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Not anymore you can't. They stopped that policy long ago lol (unless you cancel within a week or something I think).

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Sancho posted:

Not anymore you can't. They stopped that policy long ago lol (unless you cancel within a week or something I think).

Well that sucks, then. I'm glad I got out while I could.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I won't be mad. I got in through a friend code!

I will miss making houses though, because houses and house decoration is extremely my poo poo.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

There's going to be a content patch on Dec 15th.

It's supposed to add mobs, armor, weapons, better caves and a bunch of other stuff like cheevos.

So that might be worth checking out I guess?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That sounds pretty hefty. I like building stuff but without enemies or loot to pursue it was a pretty singular experience.

Sounds like it should be a good step towards being a 'full' game.

Any videos or additional info about that stuff?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

itsnice2bnice posted:

There's going to be a content patch on Dec 15th.

It's supposed to add mobs, armor, weapons, better caves and a bunch of other stuff like cheevos.

So that might be worth checking out I guess?

Calling it now: Landmark is just going to turn into EQNext over time instead of them being two separate entities.

Isn't Next proper suppose to be going beta next spring? And we still have no clue how the thing is going to play at all from a player perspective? If I had to guess that means they are still not confident in their gameplay or that it's still in design committee and not finalized. Either way, I'm not sure that speaks well for a mmo that is ostensibly supposed to be playable in the next half year.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Lots of Landmark players don't like EQ/high fantasy so that would be interesting. If they want to go for the stagnant EQ player crew over the booming Minecraft crew then it's a great idea tho.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

Any videos or additional info about that stuff?

quote:

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-new-improved-blueprint-updated-11-12-14.34413/

Week of Dec 15:

- Caves : All the way down to the core of the world, plus all the teamup builds and procedural content (monsters!) This also includes the redistribution of mineral veins throughout those layers and away from the surface of the world.
- Monsters! At least five of them. Names revealed soon. Varying attacks and strategies for you to overcome. Beware, the deeper you go, the more dangerous they are.
- New weapons: Crescent-bladed broadsword, Obsidian daggers, Darksteel Sword & Shield, and the Lucent Wand.
- New armor: Dusk Mail, Voltaic Guard, Prismatic Raiment, and Harness of Torment.
- New accessories to enhance abilities with lightning, radiance, affliction and shadow.
- NOTE: New weapons, armor, and accessories may need to be found in the world before you can make them!
- Claim vendors
- Vivox (VoiP) : We have a very hands-busy game. VoiP will make communication a lot easier.
- New tooltips and item comparisons
- Graveyards : Places you can resurrect at after dying.
- Leylines : Faster travel shortcuts across the surface of the world, and when Caves comes out (below), also below ground.
- NPC pathing : Pathing has been in the works for many months. It finally is ready now.
- Salvaging: Break down extra items into magical components.
- Phase one of Linking and Triggering (interactive options for props)
- Tooltip improvements (most importantly, a delay before the darn things pop up in your face)
- Even more props!

They said we'll start hearing more about EQNext in the beginning of 2015. I'd take that with a grain of salt though, IMO EQNext is a really long way off.

They're still on the 3rd workshop to build stuff for playable races and based on comments Jeff Butler made during the workshop shows I'm going to go out on a limb and say SOE is going to build very little if anything themselves.

The playerbase doesn't really seem to exist in Landmark to create a steady flow of quality content for EQNext either. IDK, but I doubt EQNext is going to be all that good or even an actual thing at all.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
So they actually successfully launched a pretty huge update. Real caves, real monsters, and all kinds of stuff. I just logged in and it feels more like a "game" now, even though it isn't that intuitive or user friendly. Anybody else still care about this?

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Still runs like poo poo on my PC, so can't say that I do.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They hosed around with resources. Old tools still work, but it sounds like they want you to make new tools before they get rid of them. I never want to go back to using low tier poo poo picks ever again, it's just insane to do any sort of mining without a top tier legendary.

Also the patch notes suggested that a bunch of my resources got converted into blocks, but apparently that wasn't the case. Which is good, because I have enough copper to keep my plot up for a couple months and I would've been quite upset if that happened.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Freakazoid_ posted:

They hosed around with resources. Old tools still work, but it sounds like they want you to make new tools before they get rid of them. I never want to go back to using low tier poo poo picks ever again, it's just insane to do any sort of mining without a top tier legendary.

Oh, where do they say that? All my current tools worked just fine. Do you have old tools since before the item migration? Those lack upgrade slots. I have old tools, but post item migration, so I have things like a Mithril pickaxe with 4 upgrade slots.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nalin posted:

Oh, where do they say that? All my current tools worked just fine. Do you have old tools since before the item migration? Those lack upgrade slots. I have old tools, but post item migration, so I have things like a Mithril pickaxe with 4 upgrade slots.

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-17-dec-2014-let-there-be-monsters.51046/

quote:

Existing picks have been retired and can no longer be crafted, but players who previously created them can still use them to harvest voxel materials belonging to appropriate tiers.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

quote:

The various voxel material changes listed above have also invalidated the existing pick progression, but rather than reduce the stats on existing picks we’ve elected to create a set of new picks that match the new distribution plan. Find them on the Stone Forge!

* Existing picks have been retired and can no longer be crafted, but players who previously created them can still use them to harvest voxel materials belonging to appropriate tiers.

It sounds like the newer picks aren't as powerful as the older ones. "rather than reduce the stats on existing picks we’ve elected to create a set of new picks"

Anyway, I've tried playing the game again. The monsters are cool, but I've only seen 4 different kinds. The wisps and the carnivorous plants are fun to fight. Once you get their attack pattern down you can usually avoid taking damage. The abominations are to be avoided. With your starter sword and no armor they will gently caress your poo poo up. Once you get into combat, your character move speed is basically dropped in half, which makes it hard to dodge attacks. And boy do you need to dodge them, since its gimmick is the complete and utter destruction of anybody who dared to stand too close. And as a newbie, your only weapon is a dinky sword with only one attack. You have to be in face-hugging range to do damage, which means you have a great chance of being horribly murdered.

The first thing I did was set out to make a bow, as I could not fight abominations, and that is the monster the game would always spawn. To fight monsters you have to get away from the center of the map. Go to the outskirts and they should (hopefully) spawn. They can sometimes be uncommon, which is a huge pain in the rear end because you NEED to GRIND these monsters to get anything done. The starting equipment is free, but everything else needs to either be found as item drops or crafted. And know how you craft now? By salvaging item drops. That is the only way. Everything requires Aspects and Essences to craft, and you get those by salvaging 3 items. Want to make a new pickaxe? You have to salvage a pickaxe + 2 other pieces of equipment to get an "Aspect of Gathering". And the higher tiered tools require multiple Aspects. Better go find some wisps to grind.

Oh, and there are memory leaks. If you play for a while, the game gets somewhere between 3.5GB - 4GB of virtual memory and then craps out. Even though it's a 64-bit exe, it just dies once it gets too big. Expect to crash a bunch.

One final thing. They now have multiple layered worlds (sorta). If you want to explore the different depths, go to the portal crystal in the middle of the zone and click on it. Instead of switching servers, click the "Local" teleport button. It will let you teleport underground. Be warned, though. If you die underground, you will respawn in a graveyard underground, which is often nowhere near that loving underground portal. Enjoy getting lost.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Has anyone else looked at the update from today's email? Apparently there's new weapons and monsters.

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003

Azubah posted:

Has anyone else looked at the update from today's email? Apparently there's new weapons and monsters.

Yep. Exploring caves is actually fun now. It's starting to feel like a game and one more step closer to EQNext. My only complaint so far is that The combat feels floaty in the sense that the combat feels floaty and you can't tell if your hits are doing anything unless you watch the hit bar move down. The monsters though can hit and HARD. I know the devs are going to use the holiday break to gather data and come back to retune. This is the first of what in sure are many iterations. Oh and finding random treasure chests is always fun.

Another good change is to crafting. Much more simplified in my opinion. Next month when they implement achievements there will be a clear direction on how to play and where to go.

In short, it's a good time to come back and check out what's changed. I'm planning to really dig deep this weekend as I've only had about 30 minutes play time total since the patch hit.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
How has Landmark been? Worth a re-install? Any speculation about the sale?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/02/private-investment-firm-buys-out-sony-online-entertainment/

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Cross-posting from the Planetside 2 thread:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/sony-online-entertainment-becomes-daybreak-game-company.213868/#post-3094759

So it looks like Sony Online Entertainment is being bought out and spun off into a new company. Wonder what this means for EQNext if it means they need to start having a more aggressive release schedule. As is, Planetside 2 is their only "Modern" asset and I assume that combined with legacy subs of EQ1 and 2 won't be enough to please their future shareholders. They are going to want EQ Next out the door and making money as soon as possible.

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003
From the sound of things on Twitter, the devs are still focused on developing Landmark and EQ Next. Nothing's changing in terms of development and there's no reason to believe they'll rush a turd out the door, though I do believe when it comes out as early access the loudest haters will cry foul that Daybreak has peed in their Cheerios for releasing a game with bugs.

As for Landmark, the game is fun with combat but there feels like no point in playing. It's still a sandbox builders game and without an economy or NPCs, it feels lifeless since everyone is still segregated by islands. There is /general chat but that's mostly for people to vent or ask help.

I'm still hopeful though. The game has come a tremendously long way and it's only been a year from where it started. Now that most development has gone into EQ Next(as the rumors go) we should hopefully be getting the game we all want soon.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Welp.

http://www.eqnextfans.com/news/30754-daybreak-layoffs-goodbye-david-georgeson

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Goodnight Sweet Prince.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Where am I going to go for knifetwisting letdown in the form of sand art now?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

They also fired Steve "Moorgard" Danuser who was the Lead Content Designer for EQNext, as well as Eric "Felgon" Smith who was the Associate Producer for Landmark and EQNext.

The servers in Landmark always seem to be empty whenever I decide to check out an update, so out of curiosity I decided to take a look at how well this game has been doing on Steam:

Yikes, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the new owners trying to wrap this up as quickly as possible. Maybe EQNext will have better luck as a F2P mobile phone or iPad game instead.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Welp, that's it then. Goodbye Everquest Landmark and Everquest Next.

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006
Massive layoffs at SOE/Daybreak

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
This is unfortunate.

I'm not sure who had the bright idea of making Landmark, which could have been a brilliant move for players to GENERATE CONTENT FOR YOUR MMO FOR FREE into a "pay to build" and/or grindfest. It's kind of a brilliant idea when it comes to making the worst game possible.

I was holding out hope for EQNext but I have a feeling that it's going to become incredibly watered down and generic, good for a few months of heavy cashflow for the company before it's shut down.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Do you ever read recent posts in a thread before posting or just see hours old news somewhere and think you must be the first to see it so just mash the post button?

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006

jabro posted:

Do you ever read recent posts in a thread before posting or just see hours old news somewhere and think you must be the first to see it so just mash the post button?

oh my god, whole hours went by before I posted something? with a whole 4 other posts about it? gently caress off

Leonard Ghostal
Apr 26, 2006
The speed of development of landmark was truly pathetic. This is actually good news.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like Everquest Next is going to be canceled. No idea what the future is for Landmark, it doesn't seem good though.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I agree this is good. Next has been vapor ware for a year. I feel like I threw 100 bucks down a money out, for what? A poo poo sandbox.

If this means a new director, good. If it means the death of next I'm ok with that.

Just please don't kill eq2 :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

joshtothemaxx posted:

I agree this is good. Next has been vapor ware for a year. I feel like I threw 100 bucks down a money out, for what? A poo poo sandbox.

If this means a new director, good. If it means the death of next I'm ok with that.

Just please don't kill eq2 :(

I can't imagine any of SoE's current games being shut down. H1Z1 will probably come out for PC, Planetside 2 will come out for PS4, and then Daybreak will call it quits and go into maintenance mode where they just keep their games up and running and nothing else. :/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Well before the acquisition, I had a feeling just based on the direction Landmark was going that Next was going to be dropped in favor of Landmark. Landmark didn't need pve/pvp content, but it got it, and I can't help but wonder if the guys upstairs were already looking to consolidate.

Now it's them that have been consolidated :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Well before the acquisition, I had a feeling just based on the direction Landmark was going that Next was going to be dropped in favor of Landmark. Landmark didn't need pve/pvp content, but it got it, and I can't help but wonder if the guys upstairs were already looking to consolidate.

Now it's them that have been consolidated :v:

Ooh wow, I didn't even realize that happened, but I haven't been following this game in a long time. That is a very different direction to go.

Like, if the lead people were let go after Everquest Next had come out or was about to come out, we are talking like a few weeks of beta testing left, with a release date set in stone, then I would not be worried. But Everquest Next is no where close to even an alpha test for players. It's almost for sure been canned and we will get the announcement soon.

• Locked thread