Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why did you skip part 4

e: oh, this is the anime thread. anyways, yeah, stands in part 3 are a little one-dimensional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
As another point of comparison, early Part 3 is proliferated with loudly-declared "Signature moves" such as Star Finger, Emerald Splash, and Crossfire Hurricane, of which only Emerald Splash ever sees much use again. Araki's "Board game" approach to Part 3 was, itself, an attempt to dodge the dreaded power pyramid associated with most tournament arcs, so you really do get a sense of him playing around with the tropes of his day only to refine or discard them.

Additionally, as Part 3 goes on, there's also an increased emphasis on enemy stand users. Early you on you get a lot of fights like Tower of Gray or Dark Blue Moon where the identity of the user is a secret, but not particularly important to the fight itself. A lot of them don't even get named except in supplementary materials, and their personalities are suitably one-note. Gradually though, Araki starts penning more memorable villains who participate in the fight, whose personalities are instrumental to the flow of things, rather than just the roots by which a particular random encounter is relevant to the story. In the official English release of the manga, pre-Egypt chapters tend to refer exclusively to the name of the featured stand, after which chapters name the stand and the user (and sometimes even just the user).

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 9, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bad Seafood posted:

As another point of comparison, early Part 3 is proliferated with loudly-declared "Signature moves" such as Star Finger, Emerald Splash, and Crossfire Hurricane, of which only Emerald Splash ever sees much use again. Araki's "Board game" approach to Part 3 was, itself, an attempt to dodge the dreaded power pyramid associated with most tournament arcs, so you really do get a sense of him playing around with the tropes of his day only to refine or discard them.

Additionally, as Part 3 goes on, there's also an increased emphasis on enemy stand users. Early you on you get a lot of fights like Tower of Gray or Dark Blue Moon where the identity of the user is a secret, but not particularly important to the fight itself. A lot of them don't even get named except in supplementary materials, and their personalities are suitably one-note. Gradually though, Araki starts penning more memorable villains who participate in the fight, whose personalities are instrumental to the flow of things, rather than just the roots by which a particular random encounter is relevant to the story. In the official English release of the manga, pre-Egypt chapters tend to refer exclusively to the name of the featured stand, whereas post-Egypt chapters name the stand and the user (and sometimes even just the user).

The setup for the Dio arc reminds me of a less-structured Saint Seiya Sanctuary arc (finite amount of villains based on a mystical thing, race against time to kill the big bad guy before someone gets wrecked), but with less burning spirit BS. That made me Google those series' release dates and apparently Saint Seiya predates JoJo by about a year, so I think I see your point there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bad Seafood posted:

Gradually though, Araki starts penning more memorable villains who participate in the fight, whose personalities are instrumental to the flow of things, rather than just the roots by which a particular random encounter is relevant to the story.

To use your previous example, Tower of Grey was just a Stand that fought against Hierophant Green and killed those pilots. The user himself didn't really get involved in the fight.

Compare that to N'Doul using sound to guide his Stand, Oingo and Boingo needing to handle fights directly due to their Stands' lack of offensive capabilities, or Anubis, and you can see there's a marked difference.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Exactly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Compare that to N'Doul using sound to guide his Stand, Oingo and Boingo needing to handle fights directly due to their Stands' lack of offensive capabilities, or Anubis, and you can see there's a marked difference.
There are even fights later on, in Part 3 and elsewhere, where the user is actually more dangerous than their stand, the stand just provides some condition or consequence to raise the stakes.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 9, 2015

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011
Off topic, but it's funny that you mention Saint Seiya's sanctuary arc because I was instantly reminded of the OP for that when I first listened to Stand Proud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br5HLUbA8Gg

Maybe it's just the old-school rock and the similarity of storyline, but I had such a nostalgia bomb from it.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

Additionally, as Part 3 goes on, there's also an increased emphasis on enemy stand users. Early you on you get a lot of fights like Tower of Gray or Dark Blue Moon where the identity of the user is a secret, but not particularly important to the fight itself. A lot of them don't even get named except in supplementary materials, and their personalities are suitably one-note. Gradually though, Araki starts penning more memorable villains who participate in the fight, whose personalities are instrumental to the flow of things, rather than just the roots by which a particular random encounter is relevant to the story. In the official English release of the manga, pre-Egypt chapters tend to refer exclusively to the name of the featured stand, after which chapters name the stand and the user (and sometimes even just the user).

There's also the fact that early stands are very obviously representations of stock psychic superpowers. Star Platinum is telekinesis, Hierophant Green possesses people, Magicians Red is pyrokinesis and Hermit Purple is a sort of crystal ball divination. Later on Araki broadens stands to be whatever the hell he feels like, which leads to some really off the wall fights.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also a lot of nods to various horror movies.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Bad Seafood posted:

Also a lot of nods to various horror movies.

In what ways?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Brannock posted:

In what ways?

Some Stand users are basically homages to horror movies. Ivory Devil being Child's Play, Wheel of Fortune is Christine, Yellow Temperance is The Thing and so on.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

God, wheel of fortune. It was basically the exact same as the movie. That owned.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Off the top of my head:

Tower of Gray - Alien (its tongue attack)
Dark Blue Moon - Creature From the Black Lagoon
Strength - Some haunted ship movie I can't recall
Ebony Devil - Child's Play
Yellow Temperance, the Empress - The Blob
Wheel of Fortune - Various killer car movies (think Death Proof but older)
Justice - Night of the Living Dead
The Lovers - Fantastic Voyage (though not explicitly a horror movie)
Death XIII - Nightmare on Elm Street

Araki loves horror movies. Dude even wrote a book about them, by which I mean a for real no funny pictures book.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Brannock posted:

In what ways?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

God, wheel of fortune. It was basically the exact same as the movie. That owned.

Even better, it was Christine with a hefty sprinkling of Duel to boot.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Forever is pretty much Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyHdLJ3B9jk

with his Stand being taken from "Death Ship"

Empress is also either in reference to The Manitou or The Manster/Split [pictured] (which both involve an evil entity growing from the victim's body)

(yes, that's where Army of Darkness got that bit from)

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 9, 2015

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Bad Seafood posted:

Wheel of Fortune - Various killer car movies (think Death Proof but older)

It's Duel you nerd.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Duel even got name-checked when the episode aired, if you recall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Several scenes are copied exactly from Duel. Like letting them pass so they run into a truck and the rest stop.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Perigryn posted:

Forever is pretty much Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyHdLJ3B9jk

with his Stand being taken from "Death Ship"

Empress is also either in reference to The Manitou or The Manster/Split [pictured] (which both involve an evil entity growing from the victim's body)

(yes, that's where Army of Darkness got that bit from)

I used to think it was Basket Case for Empress, but that looks way closer.

I pretty sure that Demons was a big influence on Phantom Blood, especially with the mask that turned people into evil creatures.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Huh, I never made those horror movie connections, shame on me.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The bigger question is how Araki had time to watch all these movies.

Of course, for an immortal... time isn't a problem :tinfoil:

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
A few of the comparisons are kind of loose, to be fair. A lot of the stands are clearly based on horror tropes, but not necessarily specific franchises. I wouldn't go as far to say that Yellow Temperance and Justice are based directly off of The Thing/The Blob and Night of the Living Dead.

Then again, I'm another weirdo that's refusing to read the anime for the sake of spoilers. My knowledge of the series and its creator is, admittedly, not great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jellymouth posted:

A few of the comparisons are kind of loose, to be fair. A lot of the stands are clearly based on horror tropes, but not necessarily specific franchises. I wouldn't go as far to say that Yellow Temperance and Justice are based directly off of The Thing/The Blob and Night of the Living Dead.

Then again, I'm another weirdo that's refusing to read the anime for the sake of spoilers. My knowledge of the series and its creator is, admittedly, not great.

There are very likely some stands that Araki cribbed from a movie he probably watched around the point he was doing those chapters.

Even in part 3 it would be interesting to see how the dates of release of some movies line up with their respective stand.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 9, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a thing to remember about araki is that he's a huge fan of western media. he's also a great cook and immortal, but those are unrelated.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Hanged Man is also Bloody Mary.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hanged Man is also Poltergeist III

FTFY

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Jellymouth posted:

It's clearly a spectrum. Wheel of Fortune is pretty obviously just Duel, whereas the Hol Horse / J Geil fight isn't taken from any one thing. Death 13 is a good middle ground example of him likely starting with Freddy Krueger, then asked "What if Freddy was a baby?", then it spiraled out from there.

You gotta make those weekly deadlines, and sometimes that means riffing on an existing thing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Does anyone have those youtubes of Jotaro's internal monologue while writing the receipt to Steely Dan and beating Dark Blue Moon? I've been paging back through the thread and can't find them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I32Nki0dUHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ZnS9BnJOc

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

lol, gently caress'n owns.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Will there be other single-episode battles, like with Oingo Boingo?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PiedPiper posted:

Probably at least one other, not sure beyond that though.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

PiedPiper posted:

Is the next episode a single episode fight? It doesn't seem like one that could be drawn out to over 2

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Next episode is a two parter, it was six chapter long in the manga, just like Anubis.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even the fight a lot of people expect to be the last of the 1 part'ers (possibly for the anime in general if later parts get adapted, honestly) is a 5 chapter one so I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually a 1 1/2 episode chapter like we've had before.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zeruel posted:

Is the next episode a single episode fight? It doesn't seem like one that could be drawn out to over 2

If the title is announced with "Part 1" in its name, you can bet that it won't be an one episode fight.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Assuming every episode from now on will be a two parter and we have 5 stands/users left of the Egyption Tarot, that'll leave us with 9 episodes for the Dio fight.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sekkira posted:

Assuming every episode from now on will be a two parter and we have 5 stands/users left of the Egyption Tarot, that'll leave us with 9 episodes for the Dio fight.

You're making a lot of assumptions.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Yes I am. We're either going to get 9 episodes of sick rear end Dio fighting, a few three/four parters of stand fights or a few new stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sekkira posted:

Yes I am. We're either going to get 9 episodes of sick rear end Dio fighting, a few three/four parters of stand fights or a few new stands.

If there is one thing I know, it's that one of those things will happen.

• Locked thread