Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!

snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

:eyepop:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

fishmech is right

as far as big cities go nyc is kinda hilly; but it ain't flat.

chicago is flat. the entire state is flat. our highest point is some parking lot owned by some dude in the northeastern part of the state that charges admission for people to visit it once a year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Mound

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

again you're insinuating a tourist has ventured any further into central park than strawberry fields

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

again you're insinuating a tourist has ventured any further into central park than strawberry fields

uh i was a tourist in nyc once

i visited brooklyn and the bronx and queens as well as manhattan

i looked at staten island and thought better.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
everybody says denver is hilly as poo poo but save for the climbs up either bank of the Platte I consider it pretty pancakey.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

tourists go all over parts of nyc that are much more than "flat"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
wish you would venture out to other forums that are "grey"

and stay there

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Cocoa Crispies posted:

wish you would venture out to other forums that are "grey"

and stay there

rude

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
idk it looks flat to me, i can tell from pictures and the hit 90's sitcom 'Seinfeld'

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i see you posted a picture of a building, i hope you are aware buildings are not actually hills. they were made by people much like yourself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maximum Leader posted:

i see you posted a picture of a building, i hope you are aware buildings are not actually hills. they were made by people much like yourself.

cliffs, noted human constructions

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nintendo Kid posted:

magratheans look like humans

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

you are dead wrong here and I will not let you get away with it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maximum Leader posted:

you are dead wrong here and I will not let you get away with it

please tell me more about how humans built manhattan's rock

does it involve ancient aliens?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
please keep your garbage city talk out of the Canada thread

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I was about to take offense but then remembered that toronto nyc sets need to be seeded with garbage every day

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

minivanmegafun posted:

a trip to staten island is honestly the best tourist thing in nyc. ride the ferry out for free, drink one dollar beers, observe the lower manhattan skyline, and take photos of the statue of liberty. it can't be beat.

unfortunately, it's mandatory to get off on staten island briefly. you can't ride the same ferry boat both ways.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

fishmech doesn't have a sense of scale, he only cares about being technically correct. I hope this is not a new revelation to any of you

San Francisco is hilly, Manhattan is flat as far as humans are concerned

manhattan has great changes in elevation, but it is carefully graded

pedestrians climb mild grades for miles to reach high points. it's like switchbacks without photo opportunities :smith:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

cool new posts in bbry thread

oh awesome its fishmeching re: hills

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cthulhoo posted:

cool new posts in bbry thread

oh awesome its fishmeching re: hills

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

minivanmegafun posted:

are these beastie boys lyrics

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a trip to staten island is honestly the best tourist thing in nyc. ride the ferry out for free, drink one dollar beers, observe the lower manhattan skyline, and take photos of the statue of liberty. it can't be beat.

unfortunately, it's mandatory to get off on staten island briefly. you can't ride the same ferry boat both ways.

i was gonna say that

but I missed the $1 beers when I went :(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PleasureKevin posted:

it doesn't quite match their beat

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

PleasureKevin posted:

NO...HILLS...IN BROOKLYN

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember several years ago when i was workin at the school district, the district administration was completely in love with blackberry. got the blackberry enterprise server, every school principal and district department head (and tech department cj, ugh) was issued one.

they couldn't get enough of the walkie-talkie. i think it was like a drug for them. i think every time they heard that sending chirp they got a semi because they loving loved it.

i remember at one time the choir teacher had quietly asked me about whether it was technically feasible to jam cell phone signals - 'of course i wouldn't ask you to do it, i'd just come in over the weekend and get up on the ladder and hide it in the ceiling' - and i had to tell him that, aside from it being incredibly illegal, the district bigwigs were so in love with their blackberries that they were seriously considering installing cell phone repeaters in parts of the building where they couldn't get service, so finding a sudden dead zone might tip them off. that was an amusing conversation though.

my boss loved, loved, loved to send the goddamn alerts. basically you'd alert someone (i don't remember what the BB term for it was) and the blackberry would ring until you either canceled it or hit the walkie-talkie button. the default tone was this nerve-jangling super-loud ringtone and it always put me on edge and finally i wised up and just changed the ringtone to something less urgent.

i think they only ditched the blackberries a couple years ago. i remember visiting them and the network admin had a big box full of blackberries waiting to be recycled or something.

anyway, that's my story. thanks for reading and 'god bless'

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember several years ago when i was workin at the school district, the district administration was completely in love with blackberry. got the blackberry enterprise server, every school principal and district department head (and tech department cj, ugh) was issued one.

they couldn't get enough of the walkie-talkie. i think it was like a drug for them. i think every time they heard that sending chirp they got a semi because they loving loved it.

i remember at one time the choir teacher had quietly asked me about whether it was technically feasible to jam cell phone signals - 'of course i wouldn't ask you to do it, i'd just come in over the weekend and get up on the ladder and hide it in the ceiling' - and i had to tell him that, aside from it being incredibly illegal, the district bigwigs were so in love with their blackberries that they were seriously considering installing cell phone repeaters in parts of the building where they couldn't get service, so finding a sudden dead zone might tip them off. that was an amusing conversation though.

my boss loved, loved, loved to send the goddamn alerts. basically you'd alert someone (i don't remember what the BB term for it was) and the blackberry would ring until you either canceled it or hit the walkie-talkie button. the default tone was this nerve-jangling super-loud ringtone and it always put me on edge and finally i wised up and just changed the ringtone to something less urgent.

i think they only ditched the blackberries a couple years ago. i remember visiting them and the network admin had a big box full of blackberries waiting to be recycled or something.

anyway, that's my story. thanks for reading and 'god bless'

were they nextel blackberries?

rip lovely blackberries

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mishaq posted:

rip lovely blackberries

i think so

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

mishaq posted:

rip lovely blackberries

you can just say blackberries

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my boss loved, loved, loved to send the goddamn alerts. basically you'd alert someone (i don't remember what the BB term for it was) and the blackberry would ring until you either canceled it or hit the walkie-talkie button.

how long did you last at this job

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

push to talk, lmao

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
is that walkie talkie service still around? i heard the chirp the other day in the store and it really surprised me, i thought sprint shut that down a while ago

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

is that walkie talkie service still around? i heard the chirp the other day in the store and it really surprised me, i thought sprint shut that down a while ago

most carriers offer an alternative way to do it over data or regular calls.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i was in college when that was really kicking off and like entire fraternities would have it and during pledge week pledges weren't allowed to turn it off and it was by far the most loving annoying thing ever with frat bros

*CHIRP* at deafening volume
*whispering* "yo this is fart badger, what's up papa bear"
"yo nigga where the gently caress you at my blazer needs a wash"
"i'm in class, i can't talk right now"
"nigga, if you don't clean my blazer right loving now you're done, loving done"
*whispering* "ok i'll be right there

kids walks out of the back of a giant lecture hall

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i was in college when that was really kicking off and like entire fraternities would have it and during pledge week pledges weren't allowed to turn it off and it was by far the most loving annoying thing ever with frat bros

*whispering* "yo this is fart badger, what's up papa bear"
"yo nigga where the gently caress you at my blazer needs a wash"
"i'm in class, i can't talk right now"
"nigga, if you don't clean my blazer right loving now you're done, loving done"
*whispering* "ok i'll be right there

kids walks out of the back of a giant lecture hall
so glad i went to college when blackberry was still making email pagers

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

push to talk was/is the dumbest poo poo ever, especially when they pushed it toward consumers

i get some really limited use cases for it (large construction sites, uh...park rangers?) but i remember people having loud rear end conversations on the train and poo poo with that stuff

why would you do that and not just have a phone call in public on speakerphone at that point

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
yeah but dennis franz used it to talk to his wife at the grocery store :CHIRP:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

mishaq posted:

why would you do that and not just have a phone call in public on speakerphone at that point

you must be lucky cause i see people doing this all the drat time

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

graph posted:

yeah but dennis franz used it to talk to his wife at the grocery store :CHIRP:

I remembr wcheissegern and the other buttes retards obsessing over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

most carriers offer an alternative way to do it over data or regular calls.

there was a lot of push back against this, they brought out a CDMA model early on and the chirp setup time was something awful like 13 seconds that the lovely iden ones sold on

• Locked thread