Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Awesome! posted:

my friend was really hyped for destiny until i told him it required xbox live which he never pays for. he picked up a free month last week and rented the game. he couldn't understand how there was so little content after all the hype and we had a nice conversation about marketing budgets in games today

Did he pre order Evolve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

What the hell? Every thread for a game that was just released sticks to the front page for a while.

Literally every game is worth buying guys!

It really doesn't

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Chomp8645 posted:

Did he pre order Evolve?

he is still on 360

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I pre-ordered Evolve. I pre-ordered a base copy ($60) and paid for no DLC. I am the 1%.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

WetSpink posted:

It really doesn't

It pretty much does, unless it's a game with little to no hype.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My fear, and I feel this strongly, is that the reason Take2 is overcharging out of the gate is theym trying to front load the profit from the game and drop it like a wet potato when people lose interest. They might not though, and I hope they don't, but its very likely that down the road we'll see a drop in the player base and Take2 will decide its not worth continuing support. Not because it's unprofitable but because it's not profitable enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Demiurge4 posted:

My fear, and I feel this strongly, is that the reason Take2 is overcharging out of the gate is theym trying to front load the profit from the game and drop it like a wet potato when people lose interest. They might not though, and I hope they don't, but its very likely that down the road we'll see a drop in the player base and Take2 will decide its not worth continuing support. Not because it's unprofitable but because it's not profitable enough.

Yeah, they could be hedging their bets against a Titanfall like short-lived game.

But the problem is in turning off so many gamers with DLC advertising, they're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

That seems like a big problem with the game industry. Who was it, Capcom? I remember hearing about some company that kept cancelling projects and shifting around development teams and refusing sequels because while their games were successful, they weren't COD successful.

Awesome! posted:

my friend was really hyped for destiny until i told him it required xbox live which he never pays for. he picked up a free month last week and rented the game. he couldn't understand how there was so little content after all the hype and we had a nice conversation about marketing budgets in games today

Time to admit my shame: I was so excited for a Bungie MMO, I not only bought Destiny, I bought a copy for my roommate, and I even bought another used Xbox so that a poor friend of ours could LAN with us and play 3-player.

I stopped playing less than a month after release. gently caress Bungie, gently caress them so hard.

Anybody wanna buy a used Xbox 360? or two? or three? Nope. :smith:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 12, 2015

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Groovelord Neato posted:

People pointing out a game is poorly designed makes the forum less useful as a developer how?

I'm going to stop talking on this line of conversation after this post. But, since there still seems to be confusion on the topic, I want to be clear. I actually think people pointing out a game is poorly designed makes the forum super useful to me as a dev. That's why I hosted the LoL thread here back when the game started as opposed to primarily communicating on the official forums - I could avoid people white-knighting the game when legitimate criticism was warranted. My entire point is just that I've noticed more commonly critiques on this forum have deviated from well written posts/dialogs and into the realm of spam posting, posting forum breaking images, ad hominem attacks, etc. That's what makes the forum less useful to me as a developer - it's harder to have a reasoned conversation within all of that noise, regardless of whether the discussion is positive or negative.

Anyone down for doing some 5-group play later tonight? I really want to try some runs through evacuation with everyone on voice-chat - that should tell me how much longevity the game will have for me personally.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Brackhar posted:

My entire point is just that I've noticed more commonly critiques on this forum have deviated from well written posts/dialogs and into the realm of spam posting, posting forum breaking images, ad hominem attacks, etc. That's what makes the forum less useful to me as a developer - it's harder to have a reasoned conversation within all of that noise, regardless of whether the discussion is positive or negative.

Going back to your post with upvoting/downvoting on reddit, the problem with that is things tend to turn into a huge circlejerk one way or the other, while at least here there are people saying game bad, people saying game good and also people saying why game bad or good, where in situations where things get voted around there might be perfectly valid criticism or praise that is voted to the bottom. I've noticed the forums as a whole having less useful/fun information since they turned GBS into whatever it is now, though and agree quite a bit that the culture of the forums has changed significantly in the past couple years.

The reason the game is so aggressively priced is because its around the time people are doing their taxes and getting returns so certain demographics of people being more loose with their money. Thats my theory at least.

My main beef with the game when I played the betas and alphas was that running in circles chasing the monster was just boring, it was like running from a far away spawn point to get to the action in a Battlefield game.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 12, 2015

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
I wanna know more about the game but I can't really gather what people think of it because everyone is stuck on the DLC boss =/

I'm not going to lie, I myself wonder why the gently caress a publisher can't release a full game anymore. With that said the game looks kind of cool and if it's worth a poo poo I'd pick it up.

Total bullshit that it's keeping players away that aren't willing to give up their hard earned :20bux: (x3) when you have games like Dota that people can play for years without paying a dime.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its mostly just the Imp Zone posters that post the same stuff over and over because that's what they find funny. Some people do try to really analyze a games designs flaws but they can be drowned out quite easily when a thread is filled with people poo poo posting and yelling at the poo poo posters. I think I saw maybe on or two posts about actual balance problems in the game itself?

Demiurge4 posted:

Pretty much how I feel about this. I actually think this game looks fun but I question its lifespan. If it goes on sale a few months from now and people are still playing it I'll probably try it out.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

DirtyTalk posted:

I wanna know more about the game but I can't really gather what people think of it because everyone is stuck on the DLC boss =/

I'm not going to lie, I myself wonder why the gently caress a publisher can't release a full game anymore. With that said the game looks kind of cool and if it's worth a poo poo I'd pick it up.

Total bullshit that it's keeping players away that aren't willing to give up their hard earned :20bux: (x3) when you have games like Dota that people can play for years without paying a dime.

It's a really polarizing game so all anyone can really do is suggest reading reviews and check out a couple streams on twitch, or wait for the free weekend. Definitely don't pay full price though.

vvv Do you have a 660 Ti by chance? I've noticed through out alpha, beta and retail that I can't run textures on High but I can crank everything else up as long as I leave textures at medium, and I'm wondering if it has to do with vram usage.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 12, 2015

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Interesting so far, but I'm still sucking with the monster.

Seriously, screw NVIDIA's optimiser setting the game to High and then having it lag down as soon as anything actually happens. Medium was stable, though. Also, is there any way to hide what game you're playing from friends on Steam? The only claim I've heard so far is to add Notepad to Steam as a game, "play" it, then play the game you actually wanted to play at the same time.

So when you're in arena as monster, is your best bet to ogg a single Hunter, try to opportunistically attack the nearest, or duck into a defensible area within the arena? Also, what's a good way of escaping with Goliath? Running is slow but leaping is really obvious.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

god drat like every match lasts 2 loving minutes and its the same poo poo over and over. Even in the Custom matches you're limited to only one loving variable at a time. I guess more than one would ensure the already bullshit load times would be even longer.

I think from now on I can just judge poo poo games by seeing if adam sessler shills it. first it was that laggy pile of poo poo Evil Within and now this. if you enjoy the multiplayer more power to you but personally I would have much rather liked it if it turned out more like the L4D campaign levels instead of listless boring match after match. even the 3 modes it offers aren't that interesting to me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

At least the solo is very, very good.

hyphz posted:

So when you're in arena as monster, is your best bet to ogg a single Hunter, try to opportunistically attack the nearest, or duck into a defensible area within the arena? Also, what's a good way of escaping with Goliath? Running is slow but leaping is really obvious.

Leaping in a zig zag pattern in and out and behind elevation works, crawling in between the jumps. When it comes to arenas I've been finding a lot of success just creating chaos. Make them chase you and then scatter them in ways that reduce the hunters options with movement. Focusing on positioning helps me a lot. Try to avoid being in the middle of the hunters, always fight them from the outside and force them into as many frustrating movement related situations as possible.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

DirtyTalk posted:

Game itself is quite fun, use a coupon to save some dough and don't be afraid to play custom/solo matches to get some basics down. Throw your name on the spreadsheet in the OP to find some like minded goons to learn with.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Brackhar posted:

I'm going to stop talking on this line of conversation after this post. But, since there still seems to be confusion on the topic, I want to be clear. I actually think people pointing out a game is poorly designed makes the forum super useful to me as a dev. That's why I hosted the LoL thread here back when the game started as opposed to primarily communicating on the official forums - I could avoid people white-knighting the game when legitimate criticism was warranted. My entire point is just that I've noticed more commonly critiques on this forum have deviated from well written posts/dialogs and into the realm of spam posting, posting forum breaking images, ad hominem attacks, etc. That's what makes the forum less useful to me as a developer - it's harder to have a reasoned conversation within all of that noise, regardless of whether the discussion is positive or negative.

Anyone down for doing some 5-group play later tonight? I really want to try some runs through evacuation with everyone on voice-chat - that should tell me how much longevity the game will have for me personally.

loads of words to defend your work on gaming cancer itt

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Brackhar posted:

That's what makes the forum less useful to me as a developer - it's harder to have a reasoned conversation within all of that noise, regardless of whether the discussion is positive or negative.

You shouldn't be trying to reason with consumers as a developer. You should be trying to learn from them. When you try to tell your customer base that the dick currently in their rear end is not loving them, but that they should keep the lube handy in case you want to go in next, you're doing it wrong. It doesn't matter if they're politely asking to not be hosed in the rear end or screaming in pain, either way you should be able to learn the lesson.

Even if you're hell bent on using the "abuse our customers and hope we get away with it" business model, all the "shitposting" in this thread still provides a volume of feedback about how not to go about that.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

WetSpink posted:

wtf I bought this game since this thread was always on the first page, and then I read it... :suicide:

thanks guys

:negative:

lol

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

K8.0 posted:

You shouldn't be trying to reason with consumers as a developer. You should be trying to learn from them. When you try to tell your customer base that the dick currently in their rear end is not loving them, but that they should keep the lube handy in case you want to go in next, you're doing it wrong. It doesn't matter if they're politely asking to not be hosed in the rear end or screaming in pain, either way you should be able to learn the lesson.

Even if you're hell bent on using the "abuse our customers and hope we get away with it" business model, all the "shitposting" in this thread still provides a volume of feedback about how not to go about that.

what an awful metaphor for a product people choose whether or not to buy with as much information as they care to collect

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

what an awful metaphor for a product people choose whether or not to buy with as much information as they care to collect

what do you expect from a consumer base that constantly says "human being" and implies that theyll gently caress you in the rear end for beating them in their shootman games

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DirtyTalk posted:

The game is super fun and very unique. Playing as both the monster and the hunters feels like you're both on the tougher side and on the underdog side simultaneously.

Its kinda like a remixed Left4Dead. I'm having tons of fun right now but I really can't say if I'll be playing it in a couple months or not.

And graphically its one of the best games I've played.

Hope that helps.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Brackhar posted:

I think people break because they see goons jump into loads of obviously bad games and it's like some weird Outer Limits thing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

MinibarMatchman posted:

what do you expect from a consumer base that constantly says "human being" and implies that theyll gently caress you in the rear end for beating them in their shootman games

implies? IMLPIES?? im gonna gently caress your little rear end in a top hat in evolve tonight you human being

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Hard for some to form an opinion when there's basically radio silence from major review sites. Only 7 on metacritic so far. The highest is the glowing Escapist review, which has this on the bottom

quote:

Disclosure(s): Strauss Zelnick, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., is the head of ZelnickMedia, an investor in both Take-Two and Defy Media, LLC, our parent company. This article was published without approval or consent of ZelnickMedia or Take-Two.

ethics in videogame journalism

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

god help you if you form your gaming opinions by reading review sites

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Awesome! posted:

implies? IMLPIES?? im gonna gently caress your little rear end in a top hat in evolve tonight you human being

can we play a Good Game instead tho

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

MinibarMatchman posted:

can we play a Good Game instead tho

:taylorswiftgif:

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
Watched a twitch stream for about an hour and came to conclusion that this game wasnt all that bad and since I was jonesing for a game to play I loaded up my PS4 to make the purchase. I decided to watch another match or two on the twitch app on the PS4. I didn't purchase the game after all. The load times were unacceptable.

really need to upgrade my pc, this next gen console poo poo is just a farce

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

WonderfulWino posted:

Watched a twitch stream for about an hour and came to conclusion that this game wasnt all that bad and since I was jonesing for a game to play I loaded up my PS4 to make the purchase. I decided to watch another match or two on the twitch app on the PS4. I didn't purchase the game after all. The load times were unacceptable.

really need to upgrade my pc, this next gen console poo poo is just a farce

How long were you waiting? On PC they had a day 1 patch dedicated to reducing load times and it isn't too bad.

Gobble Snarf
May 27, 2014
I like this game a lot. Earlier I was playing goliath and had killed three hunters at stage 3. The fourth hunter, a medic, tried to get away. I threw a rock at her from a good distance as she was jet-packing away, hit her, and had fun with my video game.

If anyone on PS4 wants someone to play with, I would like teammates that understand this isn't COD: my psn is FlashTMK

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So if they actually want this game to be competitive, can someone explain to me how they overcome the inherent problem of a 4v1 game that's balanced and pro and regular level? That problem being that: if the game at a high level is balanced, it needs to require coordinated teamwork on the part of the hunters, otherwise the monster will be at a huge disadvantage. But if they do this, then at the same time it's a game with random matchmaking, since obviously not all the hunters are parties of 4 players. So at that level without coordination the hunters will be at a disadvantage.

This is my issue with asymmetric multiplayer games with different team sizes, and the big difference between this and say, Natural Selection and Left 4 Dead. Balancing for asymmetrical team sizes at both high level and entry level gameplay is impossible

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Played through a game of evacuation / campaign, unlocked the Kraken. Cool.

But the loving menus are COMPLETELY loving broken on mouse & keyboard and I'm not playing the game any more until they're fixed, its infuriating. I actually had to ALT F4 just to quit the drat game, because it wouldn't let me quit.

The menus worked fine in the beta! What the gently caress Turtlerock.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Played through a game of evacuation / campaign, unlocked the Kraken. Cool.

But the loving menus are COMPLETELY loving broken on mouse & keyboard and I'm not playing the game any more until they're fixed, its infuriating. I actually had to ALT F4 just to quit the drat game, because it wouldn't let me quit.

The menus worked fine in the beta! What the gently caress Turtlerock.

Update your drivers maybe, I use a nvidia card, and the february 10th drivers fixed all of the mouse issues I have.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need help leveling Firebreath and Charge, what are some good tips for that?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So if they actually want this game to be competitive, can someone explain to me how they overcome the inherent problem of a 4v1 game that's balanced and pro and regular level? That problem being that: if the game at a high level is balanced, it needs to require coordinated teamwork on the part of the hunters, otherwise the monster will be at a huge disadvantage. But if they do this, then at the same time it's a game with random matchmaking, since obviously not all the hunters are parties of 4 players. So at that level without coordination the hunters will be at a disadvantage.

This is my issue with asymmetric multiplayer games with different team sizes, and the big difference between this and say, Natural Selection and Left 4 Dead. Balancing for asymmetrical team sizes at both high level and entry level gameplay is impossible

They're not aiming for esports, are they? Have they stated that intent?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Update your drivers maybe, I use a nvidia card, and the february 10th drivers fixed all of the mouse issues I have.

:psyduck: Uh... that makes no sense to me buy okay, I'll give it a shot.

Turtlicious posted:

I need help leveling Firebreath and Charge, what are some good tips for that?

You mean getting the stars?

You just have to do damage with them. Period. And hitting multiple enemies at once counts as multiples of damage. And hitting wildlife with them counts.

Basically run around (maybe in solo offline mode) using your fire breath and charge on small packs of wildlife. You'll rank them up in no loving time. :)

Although lots of times even in normal play you don't use your abilities on the wildlife because you don't have to, but if you did they'd cool down by the time you need them again. May as well use them to level up and kill things faster so you can eat faster.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait can you rank up in off-line mode?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Wait can you rank up in off-line mode?

Oh hellllll yes :getin:

Good way to get some easy practice with any character you're not used to, and you get xp while you do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Gobble Snarf posted:

I like this game a lot. Earlier I was playing goliath and had killed three hunters at stage 3. The fourth hunter, a medic, tried to get away. I threw a rock at her from a good distance as she was jet-packing away, hit her, and had fun with my video game.

If anyone on PS4 wants someone to play with, I would like teammates that understand this isn't COD: my psn is FlashTMK

Is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ILHfWlEjw

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

So if they actually want this game to be competitive,

They don't. They don't. They don't. They don't. They don't. They don't.

People keep saying this, TurtleRock have really clearly said that it is in no way their intention to make it competitive - if somewhere down the track, people WANT it to be competitive, they MIGHT entertain the idea, but they are of the opinion that you don't design a game to be competitive - You make the game as good as you can, and if the opportunity arises, then you can entertain that idea. I personally can't think of a single successful game that was built from the ground up to be a competitively played game, that didn't have some kind of legacy that already helped drive it. People keep saying SMITE is but that game still looks terrible in my opinion.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 12, 2015

• Locked thread