Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i'm not even sure what point he's trying to prove here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

So I'm watching Main event to pass the time until Takeover starts, what is the general opinion on Barret's in ring skill. I just watched him gently caress up a LOT of spots.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

oatgan posted:

I have no idea.

It's almost like Cena is/was the top star or something???

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

john cena was a midcarder 20% of the time he was the top guy in the wrestling industry and i've got graphs to prove it

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

sportsgenius86 posted:

I would laugh my rear end off if this whole Orton sabbatical was them covering a positive drug test.

I seriously was wondering about this the other day.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

Well 10 years of PPVs dominated by Cena is a drat long time... not sure you need to do a bunch of charts to make that point but hey.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I hope orton just gets fatter and fatter and starts going by just Randy. He already fights without pants on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oatgan posted:

Charts are incredibly good and cool.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Sex Robot posted:

So I'm watching Main event to pass the time until Takeover starts, what is the general opinion on Barret's in ring skill. I just watched him gently caress up a LOT of spots.

I think he's okay but nothing special. if you put him in the ring with a guy like Sheamus or Ziggler or Cesaro he'll put on a really good match but he'll never be good enough to carry a long match with a less-talented opponent

I do think people overrate his wrestling due to his skill on the mic and he definitely should be a once-in-a-while world title contender, but I really do think he's the perfect guy to hold a secondary midcard belt (if such a thing existed in WWE) and honestly I think he's fine where he is when he's not injured

"I think they're fine where they are and they aren't anything special" also applies to a lot of guys that lots of people seem to overrate including the former Justin Gabriel & Drew McIntyre and Darren Young

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 12, 2015

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Daniel Bryan posted:

BECAUSE HE IS KANE AND SEVEN FEET TALL

Yes but where and from whom did he learn that skill?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

some people like charts

i like charts

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The thing about 'people overrating wrestlers' is that most of the time people are just saying the wrestlers should be around and do more than they currently do (which is almost always nearly nothing)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oatgan posted:

He makes me long for valeyard

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Sasha aint ratchet posted:

[Brad Maddox] wasn't all that great with a live mic

It sounds like you've never heard of VesselMania. Seriously though, I enjoyed Brad on commentary more than anyone else in the last decade or so.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

It sounds like you've never heard of VesselMania. Seriously though, I enjoyed Brad on commentary more than anyone else in the last decade or so.

Did you hear him at NXT? He was unbearable. Riley level.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm still waiting for the in the ring match. Like, it's been years. Also Adamle was a genius with his Championship Scramble. THE Brian Kendrick as world champ for like 30 seconds.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Randy Orton is just going for the Chris Hero gimmick.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RBX posted:

I only laughed because its funny that current Kane is so far removed from his origins that a new watcher today would see him and ask: "Who the gently caress is he and why should I care/be afraid?"

I know someone who started following wrestling recently. I sent him one of those insane heel Hogan promos from WCW (the one where he talks about them burning the condos at Waco, brother) and he asked why Hogan was a bad guy. :geno:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Senerio posted:

Did you hear him at NXT? He was unbearable. Riley level.

I'm sure I did but I don't remember. Probably the result of being told to tone down his wackiness.

I think this was one of his more memorable commentary stints (note: skip to 30 minutes to avoid the Miz). He had some good bits on Smackdown too but I couldn't find videos.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 12, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I know someone who started following wrestling recently. I sent him one of those insane heel Hogan promos from WCW (the one where he talks about them burning the condos at Waco, brother) and he asked why Hogan was a bad guy. :geno:

i am the shadow, brother; the true self

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
So if you didn't watch NXT tonight, make sure you go do that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xenoletum posted:

:agreed:

If only to see what happens when women wrestlers get taken seriously, get given time, and are allowed to make use of the skills the trainers teach them.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Xenoletum posted:

snuff films are illegal

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Nessus posted:

YOU'RE NOT ME DUDE, YOU'RE NOTHING LIKE ME

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Nessus posted:

Wow Hulk that promo was unBEARable!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Xenoletum posted:

That's hosed up. At least give people a :nms: warning.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Women's match claimed match of the night today, and that's saying a loving lot.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Jerusalem posted:

:agreed:

If only to see what happens when women wrestlers get taken seriously, get given time, and are allowed to make use of the skills the trainers teach them.

Somewhere Vince is confused and angry.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Sex Robot posted:

Somewhere Vince is confused and angry.

That can be said of any time.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Few excerpts from the new Observer that explains some things:

quote:

From one of the top performers, there is no enthusiasm of talent when it comes to booking. The term used is that from above it’s a “We are having fun Goddammit” type of speech from Vince, and compared it to forcing POW’s to sing and dance and pretend everyone is happy. The bad promos are also a topic of discussion, particularly since the people around who understand the concept of money promos and building anticipation in matches are considered by most in management as “old wrestlers” and not sports entertainers.

And on Undertaker:

quote:

For what it’s worth, someone saw Undertaker recently and said that he looked 60 and moved like his knees were gone and it was almost shocking.

They want a new hispanic star:

quote:

Levesque is once again heavily pushing the idea that they need a Hispanic superstar. Once again, the guy they want, and nobody really hits this perfect, is a guy who can work, preferably bi-lingual, 6-feet tall and with a good body. It’s funny because the two most successful Mexican acts they’ve had in the last 25 years were 5-foot-2 and 5-foot-6.

theminx
Jun 7, 2007
I has a bucket.
"Levesque is once again heavily pushing the idea that they need a Hispanic superstar. Once again, the guy they want, and nobody really hits this perfect, is a guy who can work, preferably bi-lingual, 6-feet tall and with a good body. It’s funny because the two most successful Mexican acts they’ve had in the last 25 years were 5-foot-2 and 5-foot-6."

Welp, you had Del Rio but were too chickenshit to do anything with him.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Daniel Bryan posted:

And on Undertaker:

wasn't literally the exact same thing said about Nakamura and Tanahashi

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Haha I love that the description is literally Del Rio exactly.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Spermgod posted:

wasn't literally the exact same thing said about Nakamura and Tanahashi

Possibly but did they ever look as bad as Undertaker did at WM30?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

Daniel Bryan posted:

Possibly but did they ever look as bad as Undertaker did at WM30?

I'm not trying to make a point or anything I just thought it was funny

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spermgod posted:

I'm not trying to make a point or anything I just thought it was funny

Was it Triple H or Shawn Michaels who was telling a story recently about the first time they saw Scott Hall in person, and they thought,"Who is this old man?" until he kind of shuffled into the gym, started to work out and suddenly appeared to transform into superman?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

drugs are a hell of a drug

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

They want a new hispanic star:

hire El Hijo del Fantasma

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm hearing some great things about this Alberto El Patron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

oatgan posted:

hire El Hijo del Fantasma

I'm kind of surprised there's never been any rumors about them sending feelers out for Rush tbh.

• Locked thread